Firefly Glen autumn jazz
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
All Welcome 
hoping for @Leta (but AW!), and maybe it could be a finding thread?

Apparently Leta's stay out here was going to be extended. She and this @Osiris guy were going to start a pack out here in the Glen. Charles had followed suit, confident that he could stay here; after all, Leta was his friend. What reasons were there for him to be turned away? Charles hadn't actually talked to Leta much one on one and he kinda missed hanging out with her. He'd expected this journey to be more about them hanging out, honestly.

Without really thinking about it, Charles wandered into Firefly Glen. He was pretty sure his guestship extended into Leta's new pack, and he was also pretty sure that he would be a part of this pack. Unless he decided to return to Easthollow, of course, but that was where mother was, and he was not so sure that he wanted to return to mother.

And so the coywolf stepped into the Glen and started looking around for Leta.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Leta had been following his scent and bounded toward the coywolf when she saw him. CHARLIE! She yelled with glee. Things were happening swiftly here; in no time at all, the Glen would be theirs in full. It practically already was. Moving to exchange scents with her friend, Leta gushed, I—I know you were thinking of maybe going home, but, she started, and paused for a moment before pushing on, but well, what if... what if you joined the Glen, too? If you wanted? Leta would never make him, but the hope was a palpable thing. Charles was a piece of Easthollow, a part of home that traveled with her. She could not bear to see him go, but was also to selfless to demand that he stay. 

Her eyes looked for any sign of disinterest. Maybe he had come to say goodbye, but Leta willed that not to be the case. Could they not continue on this adventure in life together? Must he go? Would her mother be upset with her, for wanting Charles to stay?
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
It didn't take long before he found Leta. Practically as he strolled into Firefly Glen she turned up and shouted his name. It made Charles feel pretty good and validated that she called out his (nick)name like that, as if she was really happy to see him. He didn't really remember anyone doing that. Usually he'd only get sweet words from mother after she had hurt him first. Yo Leets, said Charles, totally casually; he didn't let her show that he felt the same way about her, or that the way she excitedly approached him made him feel good. Charles opened his mouth to say something about Firefly Glen, but before he could say anything Leta already asked him if he was going to stay here instead of go home.

It was true that he had considered staying here over going home, and that it was the most appealing option for now. Charles smirked at Leta and said, No surprise, casually indicating that he'd totally expected Leta to ask him to stick around. I did consider to stick around. After all, someone gotta keep you out of trouble. Charles beamed a grin at Leta -- this was his way to let her know that yes, he wanted to join -- and then glanced around. You gonna show me around, or we gonna stand around all day? Charles said teasingly, curious to learn more about their new home.
201 Posts
Ooc —
She grinned to hear her nickname, but she beamed as he expressed he would be staying. 

Leta could hardly believe it. She wanted to shout from the mountains about it—her best friend was staying! She laughed at trouble, knowing she avoided the word like the plague... but Charlie had brought her here and stayed with her to keep her safe. Of course he would stay for that, and also, Leta knew their friendship. So happy was she that she could not contain herself; Leta moved to gingerly fling her arms around him in the equivalent of a wolf hug, gleeing, OH!! I am SO happy! before withdrawing, that smile still present. 

He and his big ears would never get rid of her if she could help it. 

Yeah, let's—we gotta find the best stick spot in this joint, she determined with a wave of her tail. I'll give ya a tour, Charles-o'-the-Glen. There so much to see, Leta hummed with glee.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
The hug came as a huge surprise for him. Charles didn't see it coming and so he didn't manage to avoid it either. Woah, woah, easy, he said with a burst of laughter that he couldn't contain (a rare thing for him). While Charles breathed in Leta's scent — it smelled of home — he tried to push her away, though gently so, to keep up his cool act. Eventually he managed (or she let go herself, but in Charles' version of the story, he had some say in it) just as she exclaimed how happy that made her. 'Happy' was such a strange word for Charles; he had found out about its existence pretty late, and he found it hard to pinpoint what it really was to be 'happy'. He wasn't really used to good feelings that didn't come paired, or were preceded by, bad feelings.

Leta suggested they should find the best stick spot in the Glen. Always good to have something to chew, Charles agreed. His love for sticks wasn't actually as big as Leta thought it was — he just liked chewing on them, but it wasn't like he actually had collections or anything — but it had become a them thing that he cherished nonetheless. Leta seemed absolutely pleased and Charles suggested: Lead the way, madamme. Some fancy word for 'girl' that he'd picked up in his time away from home.
201 Posts
Ooc —
It occurred to Leta as he laughed that she seldom heard the sound from him. She felt happy to know that she had produced the noise, and wanted to hear more of it—but now that they had more time together, she felt certain she would. Grinning even as he pushed her away, she said softly, sorry, I shoulda asked if that was okay—my feelings, they got the better of me, she admitted. But he didn't seem too shaken by it, or upset either which was a relief. 

Leta thought that it was something he loved, which was a big reason why she sought such a place. It was important to her that he be happy here, too, and she felt that he really would be. Firefly Glen, Moonspear... a good place, with great wolves. Right? Moonspear had some pretty great ones. Sturdiest sticks I've ever chewed on, she looked to him with wide eyes. It was surprising to her, as she had not imagined she would enjoy evergreens... but, well, she had. And the place had its fair share of deciduous branches too. Equally sturdy. 

She thought idly of Osiris... and decided it must be a Moonspear thing. 

I bet we'll find some great ones here, too. Hey, Charlie, she looked over her shoulder at him and said smilingly, I really am so glad you're staying. You're... you're my best friend. You're always there for me. And... it means a lot. So I promise you that someday, if not today, I will find you the best stick you've ever chewed on, 'kay??? Her tail waved as she said it, determined to do just that.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Her apology was waved away with a Nah, it's nothing, to signify that he wasn't like, upset, or anything. It was all about looking cool, and accepting hugs from girls was, well, not very cool, no matter how good it felt. Charles actually liked that Leta was so impulsive sometimes, that she'd just hug and not ask him or whatever, and he hoped that she would keep doing just that. It was a part of what made her Leta.

Thinking about sticks brought Charles back to when they first met proper, when they'd played with a stick and when Riley had burst in to bully Charles away from both the stick and Leta. Yet now he was here with Leta and Riley was, well, wherever the heck he had decided to go. Thinking about it, Charles supposed that Riley must've figured out this whole you-can-leave-your-pack-and-join-another-one thing a lot sooner than he had.

About Moonspear's sticks, Charles said, Eh, the sticks were alright, but I think the rock was sucky. He wasn't used to living on a mountain for sure, and this Glen was to his tastes a lot more than Moonspear had been. This is much better.

It was quite unexpected to Charles when Leta went and got all emotional on him. They weren't far into the tour at all when Leta looked over her shoulder and said that he was her best friend and all. If her cheerful response at seeing him here and him joining the pack hadn't made him feel good about himself, then certainly her words did. Charles smirked and said, Nice. I look forward to, ah — chew it. Then, he couldn't help but wonder with a playfully quirked eyebrow: So, are you the queen at this place, or just an Osiris subordinate like the rest of us?
201 Posts
Ooc —
Further relieved that he really hadn't minded, she let it go and seemed to skip in her stride. Things just felt like they were getting better every day, lately. She hadn't realized that she had felt worried about Charles going back home, but apparently it had been a weight that now was lifted. Leta had to get to know the rest of the pack, she was aware... but felt nice knowing that among the new faces, there would always be his familiar one with Osiris, too. They were both out of their element on Moonspear; flatlands were more her pace, so she had to agree with Charles about the rocks. 

I got pebbles stuck in my paws sometimes. Not the comfiest. But I do have to say, the views... it felt like you could see the whole world from there. I don't think anything could ever beat that view, she remarked. And how close she had felt to the stars. But I'm happy for grass again. I still will go to Moonspear though, and train and stuff. Gotta learn how to protect myself... she quieted there, thinking of some weeks ago when she had almost been killed. Had she told Charlie...? No, she had felt ashamed of it. 

Queen? She looked to him and shook her head. Me? No. Hydra's definitely Queen. And I am happy to be subordinate to her and Osiris and help out. I don't think I'm ready to lead yet, she thought again how she had not told Charlie what happened. He would not want a leader like her if he knew. 

It did not matter. He needed to know. Someone... someone trespassed on Moonspear a few weeks ago. He... he tried to kill me. He almost did, she murmured. I tried to fight him but he... he knew what he was doing, and she did not. Enough to keep herself alive, but she had also acted rashly and stupidly. Osiris... Osiris killed him before he could, she remembered, hating to feel relieved by the thought of someone being dead.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Charles wasn't a very aesthetical person. Perhaps this was in part because he had been called ugly so often in his life that believing that beauty was important was counterproductive to feeling good about himself. Either way, he shrugged as Leta mentioned the views. Eh, they were not that great, he said. He could relate about getting pebbles in one's feet, though. He could totally relate to being happy to be on grass again. Mountains weren't his thing at all.

Leta seemed taken aback to be called a queen and said quickly that Hydra was the only queen. Sure, Charles had to admit that Hydra was quite the Queen, and Leta was nothing like that, but he had thought that Osiris would want her as a leader beside him, at least. Seems unfair you give up your life for this guy and he doesn't want you to lead, Charles couldn't help but remark. She had left a comfortable life to go elsewhere. Would this pack even be happening without her?

Leta then told about something that happened. Something serious, apparently, as she'd almost gotten killed. If it weren't for Osiris... It was kinda weird how Osiris had saved Leta. But also, he'd killed someone? There was something exciting and terrifying about that. Wow, Leta. I didn't know. Why didn't you tell me before? He felt passed over and the irritation showed. Man, I'm just glad you're okay. He could've said a lot of negative things, but in this case, he spoke his heart. Besides, he didn't think that just cause she couldn't fight off some psychopath made her a shitty leader, so he did totally stick by his earlier words. Guess you really do need someone around to keep your face out of trouble, eh? he said with a grin.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Leta considered what he said, wondering for a beat if he were right and she ought to feel insulted. But Leta did not have it in her to feel that way, and for more reason than just one. Firstly, well, I came here, to Moonspear, for me. I... I wasn't learning how to fight or protect there, and her aunt had just died, and she had just seen her sisters children, all dead, alongside her, and I came to the Glen because... well, I want to help. I don't... I don't think I'm ready to lead yet, you know? But helping makes me happy, and it's the least I can do for them helping me too. She wasn't the easiest pupil, largely because in the fighting arena Leta had no natural talent. Hunting? That she was good at. One might think them similar, but Leta had yet to connect any dots. 

She could hear he was annoyed with her for not telling him, and Leta looked to the earth. Shame came to her then, the same shame she felt to even admit it. Why hadn't she told him? At the very least, she could give him that answer. I... I felt... I felt useless. And embarrassed. And that if you knew that, that maybe you would realize, I'm actually sort of pathetic or something, because that was how she had felt. Pathetic. I should have been able to do something. Whoever it was... it was like... it was like I was just a rock he could shake out from underfoot. It was so easy for that stranger to take me down. And I tried to attack him too, Charlie, she breathed, and it didn't even make a difference... He softened, relieved that she was okay, and Leta looked back to him, ears pressed against her crown. 

His words were well meaning, and she wetly said with a halfhearted grin, I do. So don't leave me, 'kay? she could not muster a wave of her tail, but her words were genuine. And I'm gonna work on being less pathetic so I can at least stop people from hurting anyone I care about. That was... that was horrible, she breathed. If he hadn't died, she would be dead. Who else with her?
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Leta tried to explain why it made sense that she didn't get a leadership position here. She came all this way for Osiris, and instead of giving her what she deserved, he didn't give her anything, and she was eating it all up. Just sayin', it's kind of a dick move. Charles shrugged it off after that — he wouldn't pursue it further, he just wanted her to know how he felt about it. It fit right up Osiris' alley anyway; he was kind of a dick to begin with.

Leta continued to say how useless and bad she felt when she was attacked. Charles felt awkward and had the urge to comfort her, but on the other hand he didn't want to give her that confidence because maybe she would realise that she was too good to have a best friend like him -- and besides, he didn't even really know how to comfort someone. So he just kinda stood there and glossed over it, letting her rant about the unpleasant experience and how she didn't make a difference. You're not a fighter, so it makes sense you can't defend yourself, Charles decided in the end. Not that he was much of a fighter, but, you know, he'd distract the enemies or something while she could escape. You're good at stuff that he can't do.

When Leta said that he shouldn't leave her because she did need someone to keep her out of trouble, Charles chuckled (twice in a day -- what were the odds?). Alright. I can show you some of my moves some time, if you like. He grinned, though he didn't really have any fighting moves -- but he would definitely pretend he knew some moves and show Leta some crazy things he'd make up on the spot.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Leta disagreed, but was too nonconfrontational to make a real fuss over it. She had already said how she felt—she wasn't ready for that step. Leta did not know the first thing about being a leader... though perhaps she might have an instinct for it, given both of her parents. Still, on a personal level Leta did not know if the desire was there. 

Was it? Did she want that? 

It was a lot to think about, but fortunately not even a bridge that needed crossing. 

Flexing a paw as he spoke, she nodded. He was right, of course... she wasn't a fighter, so naturally that made sense. As far as her being good at things he was not, Leta was not all too sure what she was really good at. But she wanted to find out. Leta wanted to pursue something. And Charlie reminded her of that. Looking to him appreciatively, she murmured in earnest, thank you Charlie, because she sensed that he believed in her, and believed that. Saw something in her that she did not see in herself. She just had to find it. 

His agreeing with her caused her tail to wave; it was a relief and a comfort to hear it. And when he brought up moves, Leta's eyes grew a little wider. Ohh, you know some moves? I have to see them, she encouraged, waving her tail. It could help me learn! She bet Charlie could teach her a thing or two. Shoot, anyone could—she wasn't really a wealth of knowledge on the subject of fighting.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
No more back talking now, except for any appreciative thank you. Charles nodded as if to say 'that's right' and they moved on to the next subject -- his moves.

The thought of actually showing something was kinda daunting, honestly, but Charles knew he'd bluff his way through it, right? Besides, the moment might never even come. I fought a lot with my brothers, said Charles -- never mind that was mostly just his brothers roughing him up and hadn't taught him anything except to flinch and expose his stomach when it came down to an actual fight. But it'd at least taught him how to take a hit. Though I still think you are best off to work for things you are already good at. Charles smiled at Leta. Like taking care of others. He wasn't sure if she had any caretaking aspirations, but Leta was always kind and loving, so he was sure that she would be good. Then, with a cheeky grin, he added: Or pro stick finding, of course.
201 Posts
Ooc —
As she remembered it, her brothers fought a lot too. It was all play, but maybe not? Clay had left thinking he was hated, and Newt... Newt had left without a reason other than their dad and his disagreeing with him. But they had been kids. Although Leta hadn't anticipated it, she felt closest of all to West. He was as steadfast as she, and did not have any cruelty in him. At least towards their family. His recommendation was heard and tucked away, and she actually found herself agreeing with him there too. She looked up to the sky, peering at the clouds and thought about the stars. Charlie mentioned taking care of others, and she wondered if she might be any good at that. 

She would like to be, she thought. 

A full fledged smile came as he brought up their current task at hand: stick finding. There's gotta be some sort of role for that, she laughed at last, feeling cheered up. Bumping against his shoulder with a smile, she remarked, you know, I bet you'd be good at taking care of others too. You always know how to make me smile, at least, and wasn't that a part of it? Making others feel better when they were down? He didn't need to do that, but he had... and Leta would do the same for him.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Charles grinned when Leta suggested there should be a role for that. Maybe you can make Osiris make a stick finder role, he suggested. Osiris definitely seemed to think Leta was something special, for some reason, so Charles was pretty sure that she could influence him in some way at least. Leta then said that he always made her smile, which was funny, because Charles did not feel that way at all. Well, sure, he might make Leta smile, but other than that it just seemed like there were a lot of wolves out there who didn't like him. But maybe that was just bad luck.

Ya think? he said, though he didn't really like the thought of doing something like caretaking. It sounded kinda... well, not very masculine. And you shouldn't just do what you're good at, you should do what you want, right? But... What did he want, anyway? That was a question that Charles wasn't sure he knew the answer to. He had even never thought of it. The wolves of Legion had asked him, but he didn't know. And now he had followed Leta here, and he still didn't know what he wanted.

Suddenly he grew more serious as he said, How did you decide you wanted to come here? Sure, Charles had decided to stay here rather than go home himself just moments ago, but that was still deciding to go for the thing that was right in front of his nose. It was hardly a true decision.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Mhm, She answered, with every confidence in it. If he wanted that for himself, she thought he could do well. His question was a fair one, and as she moved she looked to him and shared, I... I was too comfortable at home, I think. I... I depended on my mom and dad, and... I didn't want to do that to them. I wanted to grow up, and be unafraid, but with my mom and dad around to protect me I never really tried, I guess, she breathed. There was more to it than that in which Leta cognitively was not aware of; trauma in the past had effected her to the point of her lack of desire to be anywhere but Easthollows internal territories. Before she had the opportunity to ask him the same question, one of the most gnawable looking sticks came into her line of sight. Stopping to gesture to it with a forearm, she breathed, Charlie, lookit that one!!!, tail sweeping behind her with glee. C'mon! One down in their treasure trove, a limitless number to go.
416 Posts
Ooc — Iris
fading here :)

Leta shared why she wanted to go here, and it made sense. Charles didn't really recognise being dependent on a parent. He couldn't wait to get away from his mother, really. He didn't get why Leta was so into sticking with her parents, but he figured it must be some sorta stockholm syndrome. Well, regardless, they were here now. He supposed he shouldn't think so much on why decisions were made and just live in the moment.

It was Leta finding the stick that took Charles from his train of thought and back into the here and now. Cool, he said as he approached the stick. Gotta try out how it chews! Charles made a straight line for the stick and swooped down to chew on it if he was there first, content to just lay down and do that for a while. He offered the other end to Leta; not explicitly, but by chewing on one end of the stick and letting the other dangle towards Leta in invitation.

They ended up chewing the stick and then looked around the Glen a bit more until eventually falling asleep somewhere. When Charles awoke again, Leta was gone. Maybe she'd poked him to say good-bye and he had totally missed it, but he couldn't help but feel alone. Was she with Osiris?