Big Salmon Lake I know what you'll do
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
All Welcome 
maybe @Kigipigak ? (need some plots for this girl!) AW tho!

Chanel was interested in acquainting herself with these new surroundings by the caldera. She'd become used to the copse and the territories of Tuktu- now this was unfamiliar ground, though some places she vaguely recalled traveling through when she'd once wandered out of the wilds by accident. She definitely wasn't much of a scout- it was a good thing she'd chosen to become a sitter instead. 

Chanel paused when she found herself beside a lake, dipping her cream muzzle to the surface and lapping up water, cat-like, before pulling away to lick to stray droplets from her lips.
threads 3/5
Moonglow
Kappa

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,210 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The lake draws him close. He lingers and watches as the water drifts against the bank, waiting to see if fish will come to the surface. Sometimes in Unnuakvik, Kigipigak would sit for hours and watch for their tails slapping, or their faces nursing oxygen as if to drink; he wondered if it were the same in this place.

It was quiet and still here. The slowly dying embers of autumn would be replaced by the empty-handed grasping of tree branches; naked against the sweeping winds, ready to fill with snow. Kigipigak wondered if there would be much snow here, too.

So lost in his thoughts was Kigipigak that he did not hear the approaching wolf. He did not smell her, as the wind was not in his favor to do so, and he only looked up when the sound of rain alerted him. First he looked at the clouds—of which there were scant many—and then he saw the moving shape of autumn incarnate.

She was small but well furred, reminding Kigipigak of the maple forest he had sighted near the Watch. He called to her with a sharp bark—rising to his feet and treading closer, issuing a friendly chuff once attention was grabbed. His posture was neutral, his tail wagging in a friendly sway.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
A loud bark alerted her and she jerked her head upwards, brown eyes widening at the sight of an unknown pale boy with a scar along his cheek. For a moment she was unsure what to say (always a little wary of strange men,) but his wagging tail eased her nerves, and soon she offered him an amiable smile as he approached. Why, hello there, Mister! She greeted him with a wave of her own dark tail. You wouldn't happen to be from around here, would you? She chirped; the Firebirds hadn't had neighbors back home until right before they'd moved, and she wondered if this land was more crowded.
threads 3/5
Moonglow
Kappa

1,210 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The woman launched in to a flurry of speech. Kigipigak understood but it took a moment for him to switch his brain from his natal language back to common; his thoughts were always of home, in the home dialect. It was a little jarring.

She, however, was pleasing to the eye and ear. Her question was met with a small smirk and then a shake of his head. This is not my home, but I have been roaming for some days now. I wanted to see if this water held fish—perhaps we could dine together if we are lucky?

The water remained still, though. The presence of two wolves with booming voices might have scared them away. He did not think of this. Instead of considering the meal they could share Kigipigak plunged ahead with his mission (as goal oriented as ever): I am Kigipigak. 

He wanted to call this one Ukiak-lik for her variegated furs but held his tongue, letting the thought steep in his brain.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
He shared that he was a wanderer, at least at present, and had no home in this place. She nodded, and considered speaking up to offer him a place at Redhawk Caldera- but already he was offering a hunt instead. She looked down to the still water, too foolish also to consider that it might be the fault of her cheerful voice that the fish had scattered. He introduced himself and she smiled; his name was something odd and foreign. Ki- Kigipigak? She stuttered awkwardly, the syllables knotting in her mouth. She flattened her ears apologetically, and continued, I am Chanel Vasselli. My home is in a lovely little place called Fire- ah, forgive me, Redhawk Caldera. She would've gestured to the place if the forest behind her wasn't in the way, and instead she focused on him still. Are you looking for a home, then? Or do you fancy travel?
threads 3/5
Moonglow
Kappa

1,210 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The way she stumbled across his name was amusing to him, as so many before her did the same, although she managed. Her voice was sweet and sharp like summer berries; Kigipigak's face split in to a proper wolf-smile.

Kigipigak did not know what a caldera was. The terms Chanel used were very different for him. He presumed it was near; she smelled of blue stone, sun-dappled elmwood, and layers of wolf-scent.

I am iglaak, yes—I go place to place, many places. He nods his head. I left my home tribe weeks ago, but found some brothers, and travel with them now. Ah, they are set to take a mountain for themselves; a home.

Kigipigak found himself floundering around his words; this tale he had told to others many times over, sitting on his tongue like a wad of seal fat to weigh him.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
He used a word she did not know; Chanel did not ask after it, taking the meaning from the context of his words. And he spoke of brothers claiming a mountain together. Chanel let her eyes sweep over the landscape, and she gestured in the direction of the mountain range that held Moonspear- the closest, and she assumed, Is their home among those mountains, there?
threads 3/5
Moonglow
Kappa

1,210 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Kigipigak followed her eye, the sweep of her sharp muzzle; he found himself looking at her face more than the mountains but understood the question.

The boy smirked and then shook his head, averting his gaze from her colorful features as soon as her eyes came back to him. No, I have not yet seen those mountains. Our home is far from here. You can see the sea from high up.

A momentary pause as he thinks about this, as Kigipigak had not tried to do that yet—but it sounded nice, and the brine scent was strong there, so maybe possible.

I am searching... To add to our number. To make friends and learn of this place where we have made our home. Kigipigak explained, deciding not to bring up the full extent of his business here, not yet.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
She did not feel his gaze on her, and looked back to him, unaware, as he explained that it was far- and they could see the sea! How exciting; she recalled her one visit with Wraen to the beaches, and how different they were from the forests or mountains. Kigipigak told her they were looking for members, friends- and she thought of Redhawk Caldera, the people there. She had joined because of Wraen's loveliness- and now the leaders were a group she did not know well, and she stayed for Primrose, more than anyone. She shooed that thought away temporarily. I'm happy to be a friend, dear, She laughed, I do wish I could tell you about the place where you're staying but, my goodness, I'm new even here- my pack just moved, and I'm afraid I'm just as familiar with this region as yourself!
threads 3/5
Moonglow
Kappa

1,210 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
They were open about their experience. This home was a new one for her tribe, and Kigipigak wondered why any tribe would move from their established claim at all — were they not warriors? Could they not defend their holdings? Maybe it was normal for the wolves here to move more frequently. It was certainly a milder climate and would facilitate such a lifestyle.

Where did you come from? Kigipigak asked, his tone light and friendly like before. It wasn't the real question he wanted to ask but he had learned from his experiences during these recent travels that not everyone was open to his focused manner; he would wait, get to know this girl, before bringing up the truth. I wonder too... What made your tribe leave?

Perhaps that was a difficult thing to answer. Kigipigak looked a bit sheepish as he ducked his head and smiled, murmuring: You do not have to tell me if it is hard.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
It was called 'Sun Mote Copse', in the Hinterlands. She answered easily, making a vague gesture to the west again. To his question she smiled and shook her head, It wasn't anything hard. We had some... unruly neighbors move in to the south, so my leaders decided we ought to find a more peaceful home. She was quiet for a moment before adding, I haven't really settled into our new territory very well, yet. And she smiled shyly, her ears flattening to her head bashfully again as she looked over his features.
threads 3/5
Moonglow
Kappa

1,210 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The story interested Kigipigak. He wanted to find this place and see it for himself; especially so after hearing of some unruly wolves that took up a claim nearby. Perhaps once his quest was completed for Valmua he would venture this way again—test himself against the ruffians that drove this sweet girl from her homestead.

Chanel mentioned that they were so new to the area that she did not know much about her new home; this too was intriguing.

Maybe we can learn together! Kigipigak offered with a wave of his tail. I have come from very far. There are many tribes between your new home and mine. Although he did not know much about them he could at least share what little he had picked up. Notably that Neverwinter held strong women and the river tribe near them had an ugly golem for a warden (Hieronymous).

You range from your new home, though. Does it not make you.. Happy? Kigipigak probed with his question, wondering if he could potentially woo this woman back to the Watch with him. I ask because.. The mountainhome we now build, it could use, ah... A woman's touch. There is only one I have met there, and she is lonely for sisters. 

A little fibbing never hurt anyone, right? The thought of this sweet girl meeting the strong-willed Valmua excited Kigipigak somewhat.
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
He suggested they learn the land together, which caused her to wag her tail and grin. Chanel had a poor sense of direction (it was what had gotten her lost from Firebirds the first time around,) and she thought a traveling buddy to explore with might be useful. But his subtle prodding, the mention of his home needing women- it caused her to wonder whether she would need to be able to find her way back to Redhawk Caldera at all. He asked if she was happy there. Her gaze fell uncomfortably, I... I don't know. I joined the pack a long time ago, with a different leader who I preferred, but, well... these days I feel I'm just there for the children.

She paused, and looked to him with a hurried explanation, I'm a sitter, you see. She wondered if it would be wrong to leave Primrose and his sisters- but they had grown up so quickly, and she wondered whether they really would need her in their life as adults. Perhaps there would be more children in Redhawk Caldera in the spring, but they were not here yet, and if there was any time in which she might move without feeling guilty leaving young children, it was now. I'd like sisters too, She sighed the admission to him. If you lead me there... perhaps I could dip my toes in, and see if the place suits me? Leaving her home behind felt a tad scandalous, but Redhawk Caldera did not have much to offer her at present, and she thought maybe this was a sign for her to make her own path again.
threads 3/5
Moonglow
Kappa

1,210 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Behold, Kigipigak the Cute Girl Whisperer!

As he sat there listening to Chanel's tale he was thrilled to pieces by her sadness; that was the wrong thing to feel in the moment but it meant something was going his way. Perhaps if he could stoke her misgivings about these new leaders of her's... 

I could lead you there, yes! Kigipigak could not stop the excitement from filling his voice. He tried to calm himself in the next moment to avoid frightening her at all. I am set to meet someone of the nearby mountain, but I could come back this way for you — or meet you near to it — so that you may take time to think? It is not to be rushed. He really wanted her to rush ahead and do the impulsive thing, because then he could return to Valmua with at least one success to boast about; however Kigipigak did not want to pressure this girl either.

How does that sound?
134 Posts
Ooc — summer
wrap w ur post maybe? thanks for the thread<3

She was a bit surprised by his eagerness, but it brought a smile to her face, too. Chanel listened to his direction- that she might wait for him, and he would come back to fetch her again- and her heart began to beat more rapidly, feeling already the suspense before a big decision. That sounds perfect, She agreed in a purr, I'll stay near here, and... next time you're nearby, just call for me when you're ready! She suggested.
threads 3/5
Moonglow
Kappa

1,210 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Kigipigak was joyous; he wanted to sing to the sky and call to his ancestors. Instead he danced from paw to paw a moment, unable to sit still while the energy bubbled within himself. He would go to Moonspear and speak with Kukutux, discern if there were any of the mountainhome that might go with him — dine with her — and then come back this way.

Good! Yes, I will return soon. I will call. This is a good day! A good meeting between new friends! His tail whisked the air. It took effort for Kigipigak to keep a satisfactorily appropriate distance from her; the boy wanted to mix their scents now, mark her with what remnants of Stjornuati he carried, and whisk her away. 

Four days, maybe five. It would take time but that was alright; he would return and they would go home to Valmua and the Watch. The boy bowed his head and with a chuff, issued a farewell: Goodbye for now, Chanel. And with that he dispersed through the trees.