Broken Antler Fen So I give you ten thousand reasons to not let me go
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Birth 
2am chaos babies <3 gettin this one up early cuz he's involved! I'll tag in the babs either next post or after depending \o/

When Maia woke up that morning, it was to a sharp pressure in her sides. She'd been feeling more of the aches and pains of pregnancy as she actually (finally!) began to show, so her celebration was a little mixed. Honestly, even feeling more awkward than ever couldn't get her down! Because no matter how fat or sick or slow she felt (that first one was a thing) it was so absolutely worth it.

She thought she'd had another week at least, though. Quietly Maia nudged @Eljay awake, wincing as another cramp hit. Were they getting worse?

I think? Um, something's happening. Is... ouff. She inhaled, pausing a beat. Then her eyes locked on Eljay's with a very clear I don't know what I'm doing right now panic.
Brecheliant
NPC
a hundred mini dreams and a healing scar ♥
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
aww, what a lovely surprise in the morning for me, I totally expected this late at night! :D

A few weeks earlier, Eljay had visited @Weejay at the Frosthawks. It was a daunting journey, as he hadn't really left Brecheliant's territory since joining, but he knew he had to make it before the pups were there. He was glad to hear that she was doing well, and that she was excited for him and Maia having children, even though she seemed to be having a great time at the Frosthawks. In the end Eljay didn't even ask her if she wanted to come back with him so that she could be a big sister; it was clear to see that such a question would tear her apart, and he didn't want her to feel guilty for staying where she wanted to be. He'd returned feeling both happy to know that Weejay was doing well, and burdened to know that she wouldn't be coming back any time soon. Would she not see her baby siblings until they were all grown up and ready to travel to Frosthawks, too?

Eljay'd been so glad to be home again, though, and he had been preparing these past weeks to get everything ready. He'd been overbearing, making sure that Maia had everything that she wanted, frequently asked her if there was anything more that she wanted, and in between (probably a mild relief for Maia) he had been bringing @Ibis food, knowing that he would soon be unable to care for their now former Auspex and her children as his full attention would go to Maia and their own children.

When Maia nudged him, Eljay awakened with a start. It was a good thing that they weren't inside the den, or he might've booped his head on the ceiling. His head flew up and he looked around, but soon zoned in on Maia alone. Oh! Uhm! Eljay of course knew what to do, as he had seen it happen plenty of times, but it took him a moment to get from Sleep Mode into Midwife mode. Alright, I'll help you through this, Eljay said and he nosed Maia's cheek lovingly and reassuringly. Let's go into the den first. He nodded in confirmation, though mostly to himself, and he helped Maia up so that they could get to the safety of the den.

i wasn't sure if they were in the den or not so i presumed they were just kinda in front of the den at the napping spot <3 feel free to skip through the birthing with Eljay helping her and saying what she should do, as i don't know all of the details of wolf birth myself ooc :)
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Luckily Eljay seemed perfectly calm, and Maia tried to inject some of that calm into her own. It kind of worked, and she followed him as he led her into the den, arriving just in time for a big, rippling stab of it to clench at her. They said it would hurt, but she didn't know it was going to hurt.

Maia didn't have great tolerance for pain and her breath quickly changed to sobs between the involuntary cries from her contractions. She clung to Eljay like a life raft when she could, though as she got closer to the actual time, she laid down instinctually. Likely anyone nearby would hear her, especially now, as she tried to bring their first child into the world. After what felt like forever (but was in reality not terribly long), Maia felt an overwhelming sense of relief as they (she) finally arrived. @Hymnal. They were little more than a dark blob right now but Maia loved them immediately, and she leaned over to pick them up just as another wave hit and had her in a vice. She wasn't done yet.

The second round was slightly easier, maybe because of the effect of seeing them. Thankfully Eljay had been there to help her with them once they were born, and by the time it was all done she was exhausted. She picked up @Sylvie gently and began to gently groom some warmth into her. Then she couldn't help it - she laughed, quietly, and finally relaxed against the ground as she set pup two next to the first.

They're amazing. She could barely believe it. The look she gave Eljay next was pure adoration. And so're you.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
Getting into the den was easy enough, but now they were getting to the hard parts. Eljay grimaced as Maia cried with the pain; if only he could have taken some of her burden, lifted some of her pain onto his own shoulders. Eljay did what he could; he let Maia hold onto him and he nuzzled her face and reassured her that she was doing amazing through the process.

Relief washed over him when the first pup arrived, a darker one. Eljay assisted in getting the pup to the right place and watched to make sure she was doing well while Maia worked on the next pup. This one was lighter, and Eljay let Maia place her by the first one's side. There was a breathless moment where Eljay waited to see if there'd be more, but it seemed that it was two. And they were perfect.

Maia said that were amazing and that he was, too. Eljay smiled and he nuzzled Maia's face again and licked her cheek. You did so well. I'm so proud of you, he said softly. They're perfect.
Brecheliant
NPC
right where you left me
81 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Sylvie had gone through the motions of delivery and birth without a hitch. Maia had done her due diligence to ensure that her daughter was clean and adjusting to her new life earth-side. Instinct picked up where her mother had left off, leading the newborn to where she would find milk. Sylvie latched on, tugged, and began to knead with her tiny paws. The milk started to flow, and she ate her fill (and then some). When she was done eating, she sent her compliments to the chef with a happy growl.

Left to her own accord now, she sensed that something warm laid nearby, close enough to touch. Sylvie hoisted herself closer with a determined grunt. Everything was going well so far, now that she had settled down, was against her sister, and had gotten cozy. She dozed off with a gentle snore, calmed by the warmth and love that surrounded her.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
There was nothing but pure contentment in her as she felt the pups begin to knead at her belly, and her heart was so full it might explode, looking first at them and then back again at Eljay as he responded. She closed her eyes as he leaned in and nuzzled her, then reached up and tugged at the fur of his cheek lightly, shifting a bit.

Stay here with me for a while? She asked, hoping he'd join her and she could rest up against him for a bit. She was starting to feel like maybe some sleep would do her some good and she'd feel better about it if she knew he was here. Even thinking about it made her muzzle split with a yawn.

They are perfect, though. This one... I think she looks like you, she added quietly, touching Sylvie lightly. They were a bit too small to tell her, but the patterning of grey and white was unmistakeable to her. It was all so amazing.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
As Maia asked if Eljay would stay for a while, it felt like his heart was alight. Of course I'll stay, he said with a soft smile. He was just grateful that Maia allowed him to be a part of this at all, that he could help her and that he was allowed to be with her. Hunting could wait until tomorrow, or perhaps he could dig up a nearby cache if it was really needed. For now, all Eljay wanted was to be with Maia and their two babies. He leaned his head gently against Maia as he lay down beside her, and watched the pups squirm around. They didn't do much yet, but he already loved them so much.

Eljay smiled as Maia noted that one of them looked like him. Yeah, he agreed with a smile. Then he admitted with a soft and dreamy sigh, I already love them so much.
Brecheliant
NPC
right where you left me
81 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Already, Sylvie was beginning to prove that she was a light sleeper. She stirred under Maia's touch, waking from her short-lived snooze. Drowsily and blindly, she lifted her head in her mother's direction a grumbled unhappily.

"Ugh!" her tone suggested, "Why'd you do that?!"
120 Posts
Ooc — Hela
i'm v sorry this took me so long

Hymnal had no real awareness as she grew within the safety of her mother's belly, but even her tiny mind knew the feeling of warmth and comfort; she was surrounded by both for as long as she could remember, and she was perfectly content that way. She had nothing else to compare it to—she knew nothing about what life could be like or the family she would quickly grow to love. 

So when things started to move around her, her body sent a jolt of cortisol through her tiny veins—a fundamental response to stress, done without her conscious effort. Her heart began to beat quickly in her chest, and she squirmed within her fleshy confines. The movement from outside got stronger and more relentless and eventually, she just gave in.

Coldness was the next thing she felt, and she squeaked in discomfort. She didn't like this at all. But warmth came again; it moved over her, warming where it touched but the feeling didn't last long. Then she was being moved again, and she cried out even louder. The distressed sound stopped immediately as she was placed against her mother. Warmth surrounded her, and then she was distracted by a comforting scent. Instinct took over then and guided her to start feeding. Little Hymnal filled her belly until she couldn't eat anymore. Finally content, she quickly fell asleep, nuzzled between her parents and her sister—a place that would come to be her favorite.
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,520 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
no worries!! Last from me <3

She was afraid he'd argue, but of course he didn't, and instead laid down next to her. She relaxed against him and laid her head down, so ready for nap time, surrounded by quiet happiness.

Me too, she replied with a soft exhale. She could hardly believe that they'd done it and, now, all they had left to do was get to know them both as they grew up. Parenting was harder than that, of course, but none of that was on her mind as she drifted off to sleep. Instead her expression was one of pure content.
Brecheliant
NPC
2,109 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Medic
Master Midwife
Master Sitter
last from me too <3

Eljay could've stayed up and watched the babies all night. He felt so content, snuggled up with Maia and watching all of the babies' little toes and exclaiming excitedly about every coo and mewl they let out. Even though this was the second time that he became a father, it still felt magical. He didn't think that this feeling would ever fade, honestly.

Eljay was probably among the last to fall asleep — but to be fair, he also exerted himself the least — as he spent some time just watching his sleeping mate and children. Counting all their little toes, recounting their little toes, and enjoying the softness and warmth that their little nest provided.

Life was good.