Felltree Marsh Aholehole
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
The sky grew dark much earlier than it had when it was warm.

When Swordfish had left the borders and crossed into unknown terrain, he had anticipated that his journey would bore him. It seemed a safe bet that he would want to turn back and go home before it became concerning. Other than stopping for several breaks, the young wolf managed to cross a great deal of ground in his travels.

When the sun had disappeared, he grew worried. The scents of everything around him were different at night. He believed he knew his way back to the cliffs. It was the dark that made him unsure.

Swordfish slunk like a bandit, eyes darting this way and that. He hoped he could reach home before it was too late. If his adrenaline was not coursing through him, he might have lacked the endurance to reach Sapphique.
Pledged
Shadewood
821 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The scent trail led her to a dead end in the middle of the marsh. Masquerade halted to ascertain her surroundings, thinking immediately of Chanterelle. Did she still lurk in the swamp? The juvenile lifted her muzzle into the air and sniffed, though she caught no wind of the she-wolf.

She turned, prepared to return to the rise. The sun had finally set, cutting the glare that had plagued her westward venture. The air cooled rapidly as she retraced her steps back through the marsh, pausing when she heard movement in the distance slightly north of her position.

Thinking it might be the prey she’d been tracking earlier, Masquerade prowled through the gathering gloom. She heard the distinct sound of footsteps and perhaps heavy breathing. Judging by these noises, she was tracking something middling in size.

Her ears quivered in surprise when the scent she eventually caught belonged not to game but to a fellow wolf. She was getting more adept at reading the information encoded in smells. Masque was fairly certain the stranger was male. More curious still, he was young. At least, that’s what her nose told her.

Hesitating for a moment or two, the svelte Toweard let out a light, inquisitive yip into the darkness.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
There was a yip that drew the young seafarer’s ears to a point. His red tail waved hesitantly. The voice was unfamiliar, but he didn’t think that he expected to hear someone he knew. The blue of his eyes searched for the noise-maker until he caught a curious glint of red, illuminated by the moon or stars or some other heavenly light. A wolf with a mask.

Swordfish blinked at her. The young wolf’s hooded eyes were trapped to the red of her face. If the earth were still painted with autumn colors, she might have gone completely unnoticed. The boy wondered if she lived nearby. He wondered if she was real at all, for a moment. The light from the sky was just enough to illuminate that – the crimson mask. At once, he wanted to tell Stingray.

Hey dere! Swordfish paused, surprised that he had slipped toward the way he had heard Suzu and her family speak. Ya know if I’m headed fer the coast? Got myself turned ‘round. A sheepish smirk found his narrow muzzle. He wondered if this masked stranger might help him set his course back home.
Pledged
Shadewood
821 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
She didn’t know what she expected but it wasn’t a friendly cry of, “Hey dere!” Masque tensed, marigold eyes scanning the darkness until she spotted two cyan spots floating in the dusky air. She saw the dull flash of teeth as a proper silhouette began to take shape.

Slinking closer, her posture remained stiff, though her head and tail both dipped. Her eyes remained fixed on the stranger as she narrowed the gap, details swimming into focus out of the dark. He was large and lissome, his topcoat similar to hers. He wore a streak of red on his hind that momentarily held her eye.

Her gaze shifted back to his face as she thought over his question and replied, I’m not sure. What’s, Masque wondered, the coast?
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The boy had never heard such a question. He blinked slow, a crease forming in between them. The young wolf’s mouth curled downward in a thoughtful smile. She smelled real enough to dispel his thoughts of ghosts and false images. Swordfish had never met someone who didn’t know the sea. His life had been spent beside the scent of brine and salt.

Drawing his tongue across his whiskers, the young seafarer glanced over his shoulder. He wasn’t sure why. It felt strange to stand in the dark and speak to someone he’d never met. It felt stranger still that he might tell her about the coast and its benefits. Questions stirred inside him. He didn’t ask them. The masked figure had inquired first, after all.

Ah… it’s er- da big water. Waves crashin on the beach, lotsa sand, fish’n seaweed.

The frown slipped away and was replaced with a curious smirk.

Where ya from? If ya don’t know the coast…
Pledged
Shadewood
821 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Her question earned a blink, a furrowed brow and a peculiar smile. Masquerade’s head tipped a few degrees, wondering if it had been a stupid question. “The coast” meant nothing to her, though. For all she knew, it was the name of another pack.

But the young man described a landmark of sorts. Well, he notably mentioned water, though Masque didn’t know what he meant by “big water.” She had never even seen a lake, much less the sea, and if she’d heard tell of these things, she couldn’t recall.

His expression shifted into something stranger still. Although he’d obliged her with a description, there was a hint of ridicule in his question. Masque’s ears flicked backward, her eyes angling toward the rise, its silhouette barely discernible in the dark.

She hesitated, though only for a moment, before telling him, I was born on the rise. I’ve never really left. Masque gestured toward it properly. Redtail Rise. My mother’s the ruler. I’m Masque.

271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The girl stated that she had been born on something called a rise. He would have asked if her gaze did not reveal the answer for her. Swordfish followed her line of sight to the area she had referenced. It looked impressive from far away, looming in the dark. The young seafarer wished that she would show it to him right then. He knew it would have been inappropriate to ask – he didn’t even know this girl’s name.

Masque – his smile filled out. How fitting her name was to her striking features. The Sveijarn-Corten wondered if anyone thought anything like that about his sharp red tail. There were a few in Sapphique who had masks, of sort. Their coloration was ruddy and looked more like points.

Looks pretty nice. And uh… I like yer name. Fits.

The lean young wolf lifted his snout slightly.

I’m Swordfish and I’ll make ya a deal, if ya want.

Heavy-lidded eyes blinked once. He flicked his tail back and forth a few times. There wasn’t much harm in humoring him, but she wouldn’t know that. It would be best if he just spit it out and let her decide if it was worth it.

I’ll show ya the coast if ya gimme a tour of yer rise.
Pledged
Shadewood
821 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
He paid her a couple of compliments. Masquerade let out a breath, releasing some tension she hadn’t even realized was stitched into her chest. He provided a name, though she’d barely processed it when he offered her a deal. Her head reared back a little bit, though she listened closely.

Swordfish wanted to show her to the coast and, in return, he wanted to tour the rise. Masque immediately disliked the idea. She wasn’t that curious about the coast or any other faraway lands; she was a homebody. Furthermore, she didn’t take to the idea of a stranger traipsing around the rise. It riled her instincts. Surely Avicus would never allow such a thing, anyway.

No, she said slowly, I don’t think so. Not meaning to be rude, she added, Sorry.

271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
No deal, huh?

Swordfish smacked his lips and then shrugged his shoulders. There was no point in pushing it. He had seen her home pointed out to him. He looked to the rise again, eyeing the dark shadow that it created in the background. If he could figure out his internal compass, he was certain he could journey to her place some other time and see if he’d have better luck with someone else.

S’alright. Might get my tail chewed fer givin’ away our secrets. Not that they had many, or any of real value. Maybe he was trying to see if he could spark more life out of his temporary companion. She was nice, enough. There was something wild to her eyes that made him feel uncertain – like someone else was watching his back from the brush.

How ‘bout ya just tell me ‘bout it? What’s it like?

Swordfish’s heavy-lidded stare fixed to her.
Pledged
Shadewood
821 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
No deal, she agreed with a small smile, glad he hadn’t taken offense.

Masque wondered if the next words out of his mouth were designed to intrigue her. It worked, particularly the mention of secrets, but not well enough for her to ask. Anyway, he insisted she tell him a bit more about her home, since she wouldn’t show it to him.

But I might get my tail chewed off for giving away our secrets, she quipped, feeling quite clever and a bit daring too.

Drawing in a breath, Masquerade pondered for a moment. It was getting late and getting cold. Not only did her family expect her home, she wanted to go. But she didn’t want to leave Swordfish here, lost. What if he followed her home to the rise?

I can’t stay out much longer, though maybe I can help you figure out what direction to head, at least. Do you happen to know if the coast is to the north, south, east or west of… She didn’t know the term “inland,” so she gestured at their surroundings. Because the rise is east of our current position, she continued, recalling the glare heading into the marsh earlier, if that helps.

271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
S’alright, no secrets fer now. Wouldn’t want ya to loser yer tail.

In truth, the young seafarer hadn’t considered his offer. There weren’t many secrets that were worth sharing to the unknown settlements outside of the cliffs. Though he had been trying to be coy with the young girl, there was little to back his claim. When she expressed that she’d rather avoid the trouble, Swordfish found quiet relief wash over him.

North is where I’m headed, if yer interested in walkin’ with me fer a short time. Not far, I don’t think. Then again, he didn’t really know. The boy had done a terrible job of keeping track of his progress. The unknown of the unclaimed territories had been too much to resist. It hadn’t been until the sun had started to set that he’d thought on his actions.

Promise I won’t ask ya fer anything. Just… I dunno, some company. If she’d oblige.
Pledged
Shadewood
821 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
She gestured northward with her carmine snout, going still when he invited her to accompany him briefly. Masque’s lips parted after a brief deliberation, only to come back together again when he gently pressed the invitation. She drew a breath in through her nose, ribs visibly expanding before she let it out slowly.

I’d better not, she said, but north is that way. Masquerade gestured again, pausing before adding, Safe travels, Swordfish.

271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The girl declined, saying that she had better not.

Swordfish soured internally. He’d spoiled the fun with all that teasing at the start, or so he rationalized it. The young wolf hadn’t intended to take anything from her. The darkness that surrounded them had made him nervous. She offered a simple gesture to show him the way and then wished him safe travels. The red-tailed boy blinked slowly at her before he sighed in defeat and nodded his snout.

Aye, he offered, turning toward his northern home, be seein’ ya, miss Masque.

Swordfish dipped his snout gently to her and then set his course for home.