Redhawk Caldera Gremlinade
Brecheliant
Family
704 Posts
Ooc — Me
Private 
@Frolic 

Frolic's announcement that she wanted to head off in to the wilds did not come as a surprise to Dwin and she took the decision calmly. She did not like to see her father worry, which was just as a natural thing for him to do as it was for her not to. She had spent enough time in her sister's company to know that this Blackthorn not only had a knack of getting into trouble, but almost a god-like ability ot get out of it as well. So - no matter, what would come her sister's way, she would fine. One way or another. 

Since she did not know, when would her younger sibling set off (and very likely the family would find this out only after the fact), Dwin decided to have that one last fruitless older-sister talk now. So she sought out Frolic, whose scent today - surprise, surprise - still hung around the caldera. Quite fresh too. 
161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Frolic spent her last few weeks in Brecheliant doing three things, mainly: eating as much food as possible; spending as much time with family as possible; and gathering as much knowledge as possible. She wanted to be prepared for life on the road, looking out for herself, and while Frolic knew it would be the adventure of a lifetime, she also knew it wasn’t going to be all fun and games.

She did a lot of growing up in this time span, as a matter of fact, and was a little more subdued for it. She was still the bright-eyed, bushy-tailed Frolic everybody knew, though there was now an undercurrent of stoicism to mark her maturation and readiness for dispersal into the uncharted wilderness.

On this late December day, Frolic was dutifully practicing one of many survival skills that might serve her well sometime soon. Ceridwen would find her digging in a small snowbank, scooping out a shallow dugout that would just fit her nearly full-grown physique. In the absence of other bodies, Frolic would need to rely on her own body heat to stay warm on wintry nights.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Family
704 Posts
Ooc — Me
"If you need some avalanche training, I can help you out with that," Dwin told Frolic, making her presence known, though she had watched her younger sibling work for a while unannounced.

Some time had passed since their last adventure together and it seemed as if the girl had grown up so much more in that brief timespan. It was odd to think that this youngster, who had annoyed her to no end during the summer, was almost an adult now. Not only in looks, but the demeanor as well. 

"What are you working on?" she asked, sitting down nearby and peering down at shallow dugout in the snow.
161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
When Ceridwen appeared, Frolic gave her sister a quick glance and then stepped back from her handiwork. She breathed a little heavily and her muscles ticked from the exertion. She eased onto her haunches.

I’m practicing making a bed that’ll help with insla—insulation, Frolic explained, patiently correcting her own enunciation, so I don’t freeze my balls off in the cold. Oh, wait… She held a paw up to her mouth and snickered.

Dropping it a moment later, her expression grew thoughtful as she regarded the dugout for a few beats. It looked alright to her. It wasn’t perfect but it would probably get the job done. There was really only one way to find out for sure though: she would have to spend the night in it.

I’m gonna leave by the end of the week, she announced, apropos of nothing, catching Ceridwen’s eye. So now’s your last chance to throw me a surprise going away party…
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Family
704 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Figurative balls are not prone to get frostbites," Dwin grinned, never the one to let a good "down below" joke pass. She did not tell her sister that despite the best of preparations cold and hunger were going to be her loyal companions all throughout the remaining winter months. Spring may ease the burden of the two, but you could never rely on the warmer weather to solve all of your problems. Her reasons for holding back this information was that one learned best by experience. Words could never conjure the proper image.

"Break a leg and bugger off?" Dwin arched an eyebrow in a quizzical manner. "Have you made your will? Just in case - so that the family does not have to fight over your property?"

161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Frolic scoffed at her older sister’s rebuttal. She knew that traveling solo wouldn’t be without its trials and tribulations but she had no intentions of dying. She huffed a laugh, though a shadow passed behind her eyes as she peered at her little dugout.

But fighting over it is the only fair way to settle it, Frolic eventually complained good-naturedly. If you’re not going to throw me a party, at least don’t leave me hanging. Do you have any last words of wisdom for me before I go?

Her eyes sparkled as they caught Dwin’s, though there was an undercurrent of sincerity there. Her elder sister had dispersed herself, learning many hard lessons. Some Frolic could only figure out for herself. But surely Ceridwen had some pro-tips she could pack in her proverbial suitcase.
Brecheliant
Family
704 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Speak like a true Blackthorn - there is no fun in having things settled, is there?" Dwin remarked with a chuckle and then let out a sigh. Could it be - was she really sorry to see Frolic go? She was going to miss her. Not 100% of her - with some percentages gone her life would be a lot easier and smooter. Even boring a little. But some boredom, before spring came along and everything started again seemed almost welcome. 

"Well, I cannot give you any such advice that you won't learn on your own there. Except don't trust strangers and don't eat yellow snow," she grinned at her. Though the first part of the advice had been meant seriously. She had a feeling that Frolic was more trusting than her, but looking back she had been the same way. Distrust had sprouted and set its roots later. Maybe because of the new responsibilities and the fact that after losing Bronco, caldera no longer felt as safe as it had been. 

"Kid, you have been my personal hell this year. You have made me ponder murder more often than any other person and that invitation to drown you a little in the lake with the big fish still stands," she told her with a smile. "But it was never boring with you around and I think that Brecheliant will be a lonelier place without you," she said.

"So, as the wisest and the most mature in our family - big ol' sister Dee said - even if you are gone, the piece of Brecheliant will always be there with you. To remind you, where your home is and always will be and who you are," she told her in a sincere tone. "No matter, how far you go or how long you are gone, come back to tell the story. Your old and boring Dwin promises to keep the place going just to hear that tale," she said. "One last hug, before you set off in the big adult life?" she asked. 
161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
She could only grin fondly as Ceridwen recounted all the times she’d likely wanted to murder her. Frolic was well aware she’d driven her older sister—and likely everybody else in the family, at one point or another—crazy with her shenanigans.

Awww, Frolic replied mockingly, snorting a laugh. Then, Of course! as she flung herself at Ceridwin, wrapping her darkened legs around the older girl’s midriff and giving her a mighty squeeze.

She held on long enough to be obnoxious, true to her nature, then loosened her grip and pulled back to say, I’m definitely coming back! And I’ll still be here for a few more days, in case you change your mind about throwing me a party…

Laughing, she let go of Ceridwen and faced her dugout again. It was almost time to climb in and give it a test run.
Brecheliant
Family
704 Posts
Ooc — Me
Throwing you off a cliff is still an option... Dwin thought to herself, but did not voice it out loud. Some jokes - though funny and fitting - crossed a line and therefore you had to keep them to yourself. "Well, if everything had gone according to my initial plans last year, I would be a warrior-queen leading an amazonian pack or something of equal awesomeness. I never intended to come back, until I had achieved my imagined greatness," she said. "Here I am now, living a dream of a house-maid," she grinned. 

Then went over to inspect Frolic's progress with the dugout. "So, sweetheart, what are your dreams that you want to fulfill out there? So that I can add them to the diary of aspirations and compare the text to the facts, of what had actually happened?" she asked. 
161 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The term of endearment earned a side-eye from Frolic, who grinned. She felt a rush of affection for her elder sibling, who put up with so much! She would miss Dwin a lot, though it was her older sister who in part inspired her taste for adventure.

Climbing into the makeshift bed, she circled a few times and settled, saying, I just want to see the world! I want to know what other packs and wolves are like in other places.

If any of them were anything like Muat-riya, for instance, then Frolic was in for a treat! She supposed there were many more cultures, too varied for her to even comprehend. She wanted to broaden her horizons and her mind.

I will always appreciate our home, she promised, curling into a ball, and our family. Will you tell me a story to help me fall asleep? That’s the only way I can test this out properly, Frolic said, patting the packed snow and imagining crunchy leaves under her black paw.

She clearly remembered Dwin advising her to wait until spring back then. Frolic made no mention of that now, brushing away the thought. It was perfectly sound advice but she’d waited long enough. Her adventurous spirit could no longer be contained!
Brecheliant
Family
704 Posts
Ooc — Me
"A story, huh?" Dwin arched an eyebrow, lowering herself slowly to lie down so that she was on the same eye-level with Frolic. She liked to see the unbridled excitement in her sister's eyes and remembered the days, when she too had felt the same way. The whole world at her feet, ready to take it over in a sweep.

Now the flames had gone and the embers had stopped glowing. Life had got boring and predictable all too soon and at this point in time the future seemed bleak to her. No dreams. No ambitions. No hopes. She wanted nothing and at times it felt as if she could die today and not feel sorry for herself at all. 

But this was Frolic's farewell party, not her therapy session, therefore she shook her head to snap out of the sad thoughts, looked up and came up with a solution: "What about a tasty and warm story, you will need those during your travels?" 

Last one from me! You can fade out in your next post. I will look forward to meeting Little Miss Frolic again. :)