Brecheliant
Eun Liath

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,289 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
As they walked, Amalia let slip some details which made Kigipigak stop and stand there, almost dumbfounded; maybe as close as one could get, with the air suddenly sucked from the space around him.

Grandfather.

Two girls, a boy.

Kivaluk, a husband, a father now! And Kigipigak was outside of that world. He felt pain in his chest that was so intense - and while the experience was brief, he recognized a profound wound deep down where he never liked to look.

His mind was as far from the hunt as it possibly could be.

Grandfather, he finally sighed; and his eyes were glossy. He spares a look at Amalia. What good am I? I doubt I'll ever be welcome to meet my grandchildren. Kivaluk and I... things are complicated. Was there hope, knowing his son was far from the village? The thinnest kind, maybe.

Kigipigak stares at the earth, not far from tracks leading through the trees, but he has stopped hunting. I think my wife plans to leave me, and I can't fault her.

His gaze slips to his friend's face. Do you ever think of Natigvik? That was good, wasn't it? Before it all went away. Clinging now to good memories - seeing in his mind the face of Tulukiri, dead.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Messages In This Thread
Do you see the brightest side of life - by Amalia - May 07, 2024, 01:52 PM
RE: Do you see the brightest side of life - by Kigipigak - May 08, 2024, 09:04 PM