Ouroboros Spine ukpiqqutiqaġniq
Pledged
Moongrove
writing letters addressed to the fire
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Private 
There was a lot to do before Ariadne could go on her spiritual journey. She needed to inform the children, gather her supplies, and then begin her journey away from Moonglow. Despite the busy schedule, she couldn't stop thinking about @Kannoyak. She felt it was important to share with him the recent events and what was planned for the upcoming week.

She had found his scent and decided to follow the trail, which led her along the shore of the lake towards the Three Sisters. Every so often, she would stop and look around, wondering if she would spot him along the way.
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Once the white hunter had left his homeland, he had not returned. The boy had been eager to prove his mettle and he’d considered the homesickness in his belly a sign of his fledgling self needing to grow. There had never been one place that had felt like home. The cotton grass man had made homes in many places and most of them had only been fleeting.

Kannoyak gazed across the water with a contemplative expression. Returning to walk the grounds of Moonglow had given him a sense of peace, a new calm. There were different tasks to take in the moon village. No longer needing to carve paths through the wild terrain, the man wondered if the warmth he felt was due to the setting.

A glimpse of familiar fawn fur lifted the white wolf’s plum eyes. She was some ways away so Kannoyak called gently to her.
Pledged
Moongrove
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
When Kannoyak spoke, Ariadne halted and scanned her surroundings until she spotted him in the distance. With a smile on her face, she veered towards him and quickened her pace. He was quite a ways off, and it took a while to reach him, but upon arrival, she welcomed him with a wagging tail and a sunny expression.

Kannoyak! It is good to see your face, she greeted. How are you settling in?
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Moongirl, he returned her greeting with an appropriate bow of his fluffy white head. His eyes fixed on her paws for a moment before he stood tall. The proud puff of his chest did not fade.

Ariadne was polite. She asked how he was settling in to the moon village. Kannoyak nodded his head and gestured in a sweeping motion with his snout.

The moon village is beautiful and full of life. This one is proud to belong to such a place.

The cotton grass man felt that he owed Kukutux a great deal for her kindness. This, he kept to himself.
Pledged
Moongrove
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Even though she was struggling internally, she smiled at the news of his successful settling in. I am very happy to hear that, she replied. Do you need any help with anything? Finding a ulaq— 

—Oh! She almost forgot! 

I am still working on the fur for you ... I have just been ... busy, she breathed deeply to steady herself to reveal the big news. I talked to Kigipigak, and we are no longer husband and wife.
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Yes, it would be good to have a wolf of the moon show this man the best places for such things.

Ulaq was a word he had heard many times. Kukutux had helped to expand the white hunter’s vocabulary. Their language was not so foreign that he mistook meaning. He simply could not return their spoken tongue. As the man contemplated this, he wondered if Ariadne would teach him more about the language of the moon wolves.

At the mention of her husband, the cotton grass man eyed her. She spoke so plainly on the matter, as though it were a normal topic to discuss. For a moment, the man was taken aback. Already she had spoken to him, had severed their bond and stepped away!

How are the children? he asked, voice heavy with concern.
Pledged
Moongrove
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Yes, I can help you find one now, if you have time, she offered. While looking for a new place to live, she had found a few dens that could be a good fit for him. The dens were not spacious enough for her and the children, but they were suitable for a single wolf.  

While Ariadne had no problem coming to terms with her divorce, the situation with her children was a different matter altogether. Her actions had inflicted pain upon them, a fact she was well aware of. They are suffering, Kannoyak, she acknowledged with a distant look and a soft voice. They cry out for their father, and there is little I can do to ease their pain. Despite her attempts to shower them with attention and gifts, she knew deep down that their father could never be replaced. 

What is worse is that I must leave soon to go on a spirit-journey—my anaa has suggested that I do this, and I think she is right. The timing ... just isn't right. But Ariadne knew that she needed this to be a better mother. She'd come back refreshed and ready to give them the love and attention they deserved.
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Please, if it would not trouble you.

With all that she carried on her shoulders, Kannoyak worried that he was asking too much. The man had never had a den, not one that truly belonged to him. He had rested with other hunters in their homes. He had lingered on the edges of villages, where he was welcome, where he was considered friend and family. The cotton grass man had never settled into a place and made it his own.

As Ariadne spoke of the pain her children faced, Kannoyak shook his head. He could not imagine how difficult it must be for her and for them. Young pups needed their mother and father so that they could grow into their good souls.

This man can help. Moongirl will go on her spirit-journey. Kannoyak will help watch the children.

The white hunter smiled to her.
Pledged
Moongrove
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Do not worry, it is no trouble, she said before shaking her head. I have a few places in mind for you, she mentioned, turning away and gesturing for him to follow with a nod of her head. They were in no hurry, so she walked at a leisurely pace.

She appreciated his offer to help with the children, but she couldn't let him avoid his responsibilities for her. Are you sure? They can be a paw-full, and I know you must have other obligations… she asked cautiously.
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The white hunter followed, stepping beside her in their leisurely stroll. If the Moongirl had ideas for where he might make his bed, Kannoyak would listen and would consider them with his heart. It was no small task, finding a place that would serve as his home. The pathmaker’s spirit told him that it was not in his power, that he must keep moving and establishing relationships between villages.

It is not a burden. This one has only one obligation, now…

The man’s plum eyes were warm upon Ariadne’s face.

The village of the moon and those who live here. That is the only obligation.

The earnestness of his voice said that he meant it.
Pledged
Moongrove
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
He spoke genuinely, and she believed him, expressing her gratitude by saying, Thank you very much. I really appreciate it, with complete sincerity. Despite her reluctance to part with them, she was confident that her children would receive excellent care from the village. Then, she added as an afterthought, Let me know if there is anything I can do to help prepare you. She wasn't sure of his experience with caring for children, and she was open to share all the tips that she had. 

She guided him to a den at the base of the hill, believing it would be perfect for him due to its convenient access to the surrounding area. Pausing at the entrance, she peeked inside and confirmed that it was unoccupied. Then, after taking a step back to allow him to investigate, she said, This is the first cave that made me think of you. It's got a great location, and a nice view of the lake! Examining his face, she wondered what he thought of it.
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The man followed, listening as Ariadne spoke to him. He found that he enjoyed the sound of her voice, the pleasant ring to her words. She was as sweet as her mother, though she carried still some of the softness of childhood in her spirit. This was not frowned upon. Kannoyak thought it warm and welcoming in comparison to the travelers he had met on his journeys.

Once she had walked them to the cave, the white hunter inspected it with a waving tail. His nose searched the ground and the depth of the cavern. As he turned back to his company, he could see light glinting from the water of the lake. It was a beautiful place to make a den.

It is perfect, moongirl. His head bowed in thanks.
Pledged
Moongrove
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ariadne moved out of the way to allow Kannoyak to explore the den. Upon a brief inspection, he determined it was appropriate, leaving her genuinely surprised but choosing not to inquire further. If that was his desire, then that was what he would receive. 

I think it is a great option, she nodded, wagging her tail. If it was just me, I'd choose this one, but it's too small for me and the kids.
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Small can be good.

Kannoyak imagined a den lined with furs and children noisily scampering about, chewing and pawing at numerous things. It was small, yes, but there was a comfort in knowing that it could be filled with things. The white hunter would work to collect skins and furs so that any who visited him in his new home would be met with comfort.

This one will need to hunt to fill it with furs, he spoke his plan to Ariadne and smiled, wondering if there were any other quiet den sites she might want to share with him.
Pledged
Moongrove
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Yes, it can, she agreed. However, with three children who were growing rapidly, Ariadne wanted to ensure there was sufficient space for all of them. The idea of the den becoming cramped instead of cozy was something she hoped to avoid. 

He spoke of lining the den with furs, and she smiled and waved her tail. I would be happy to help you prepare the furs, she offered. You already have one fur on the way—and I will help you make many more after that! 

What are you thinking of hunting? she asked.
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Ah, she was correct! Kannoyak would have a pelt to place in his new home soon enough. This warmed him. It would not be long before he would feel perfectly at peace in the den that overlooked the lake. Each morning would bring him a beautiful image of the land down below.

Ariadne asked what he might hunt. The cotton grass man gazed thoughtfully out across the terrain. He knew that the Teekon Wilds were plentiful with prey. He had hunted many times before leaving the area. With options overflowing, Kannoyak felt unable to pick.

Mountain goat… If this one is fortunate, a mountain cat’s pelt would sit nicely here. The man gestured with his snout toward the back of the den.
Pledged
Moongrove
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
She was surprised by his choice of prey and watched him in awe. Both of them posed a challenge, and even though she had faith in his skills, a part of her worried about his well-being. 

Have you hunted mountain cat before? she whispered in question, clearly intrigued. It is a material I have never gotten to work with before, but I am sure it is very nice.
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The cotton grass man nodded his head.

Twice. The mountain cat is fierce and dangerous. Two men in Kannoyak’s village were slain.

It was not said with pride. The white hunter bowed his head, a moment of silence for the hunting brothers who had fallen. Their spirits left honorably and they had died protecting their village from danger. Without that sacrifice, Kannoyak did not think they could have killed the vicious puma.

If this man is able to kill another, moongirl may have the skin.

A smile found his dark lips.
Pledged
Moongrove
768 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
With a tone heavy with disbelief and sadness, Ariadne spoke softly, Aya, what a sacrifice. I am sorry for your losses, and lowered her head in solemnity. His skill left her in awe, but she couldn't disregard the accompanying sacrifice. She remained quiet, giving him the opportunity to pay his respects to the fallen hunters. 

As his words reached her ears, she felt a rush of excitement that made her look up at him with awe. You would really do that for me? she whispered, her voice barely audible as her tail swished behind her. I would be very grateful, but please promise me you will be careful if you go through with it. I would rather you be here, then to have that pelt.
Moonglow
Zeta
266 Posts
Ooc — Teo
You would really do that for me?

Kannoyak didn’t understand the question. Was it so unbelievable that the white hunter might present the moongirl with gifts? And what better way to demonstrate her importance? The pelt of a vicious mountain cat would show that she was treasured. She could rest upon it with her children and hum them songs.

Of course.

The words were spoken plainly. It was as though there was no other answer.

Of course. Kannoyak would begin to scour the mountain range the next day. He would find the scent of the cat and make plans to hunt.