Neverwinter Forest And they welcome everyone to stay
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
All Welcome 
Set late on the 6th/early the 7th

Mal returned home victorious in two ways.  The most obvious was that he carried a hare in his jaws.  He felt like he'd somehow solved all life's mysteries and could no longer be looked down on due to his age.  Something about it all just clicked, and the ego-boost that had come with it all made his facade of knowing what he was doing ring a bit more true.  No saying that actually was.

He had kind of wished that he had brought the scents of his other encounter home with him, just to prove it but it had come to be a problem.  Mal had gone after the hare's trail once Cupid departed, but kept finding it incredibly hard to properly focus with the scents that still clung to his fur.  He tried, but after the third time he zoned out it seemed impossible -- it just made him want to go find Cupid's trail instead.  In the end, he had scrubbed the majority of it from his fur in the fresh snow, and it was only when Mal pressed his nose deep into his pelt that he could find the memory of it.  After that, he could focus and his hunt was successful.

He'd been gone longer than normal -- normally Mal was only out of the territory for a day trip, but it was a full two days or maybe a smidgen more at this point.  It wasn't like he was gone for a week, though.  He paused at the borders to mark a tree, then continued from the open black sky to the dark canopy, winding his way towards the heart of the territory so that he might cache the prize he brought home with him.  The chances of him running into one of his packmates seemed pretty slim at this hour on a snowy night.
idk what im doing but clearly it's too late to stop me now
He trails the figure in the distance intently, spurred by something he can't put a name to; something in his unique spotted appearance, perhaps, or something about the scent trail he leaves. It doesn't matter much. All he's certain of is that he has to know where this guy is going, and there's only one way to find that out. He shivers slightly as a breeze washes over him and walks a little faster, ears perking as he notices the stranger pausing just ahead. Hopeful, he picks up the pace even more, and even starts to call out to the other — until the scent of the border hits him.
He stops, ears flattening immediately as he realizes where he is; right at the edge of a pack. A small one, but a pack nonetheless. His mind conjures an image of the cruel white wolves first with their haunting dark eyes, then of the dark purple-eyed brute. His limbs stiffen as he remembers each encounter, and he takes several steps back, forgetting the stranger he'd been following altogether. He's frozen now, and all he can do is stare into the forest and wonder what form death will take this time as it reaches for him again. Perhaps it will finally truly grasp him this time.
common || « french »
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
:eyes:

Mal hadn't noticed he was followed.  He'd just paused because another set of tracks crossed his path -- one that excited him -- he was pretty sure those were from hooves.  Was stuff finally going back to---?  What was that?  His head whipped around at the sound of some footsteps behind him that hadn't matched his own.  It took him a moment to pick that something was there out in the darkness, but the light pelt certainly helped.  There was saw some scrawny kid stopped at the borders.  Huh.  He tucked the rabbit at the foot of a pine for now since he probably should investigate, and looked back to the borders again.  Still there.  And so, Mal headed back to greet them.  

So why was some random kid here?  Sure, Mal had collected a couple in his ranks, but the fact she hadn't called out confused him a little.  Whatever.  Mal strode over, stopped on his side of the border and spoke, Looking for something?  Mal was totally being cool again, but this time it was all natural -- this was his pack and things were good here.
His vision blurs for a moment, so at first he doesn't see the shadowed figure turning back toward him. The darkness seems to swim, trees swaying strangely, and the sight fills him with dread. He blinks hard several times — and then the wolf he'd been pursuing seems to simply appear, sending his heart into his throat. He steps back quickly, pulse drumming loudly in his ears. It takes him a few seconds to register the words thrown at him, and in the time between, all he can do is stare.
You're not going to attack me? His first thought slips from him when he finally finds his voice; frustrating, but he's proud of the fact that he sounds relatively calm, at least, if a little wary and bitter. It's progress, albeit slow progress. He takes another step back, suddenly wishing he hadn't left his company behind. It would be nice to have back-up right about now, in case the stranger suddenly remembers some unspoken rule requiring pack wolves to be giant assholes within 10 yards of their home.
common || « french »
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
With Cupid he'd managed to (eventually) put together a very confused set of clues to figure out that he was a guy, but currently Mal was just working with what was obvious here -- Zephyr's small size and current lack of a name weren't helping Mal figure out the proper pronouns, unless there was some other more obvious characteristic that should be noted.  Anyway, he stayed put, not out of realizing that the youngster was having issues or whatever, but more just because there was no reason to do any different.  Her words confused him and it showed readily on his face.  Wasn't planning on it.  You stopped at the border, so no reason to get grumpy about it.  He shrugged, and continued with a little bit of humor, just in case it might put her at ease, Did you find the local jerks on Moonspear or something? He paired this with an indication towards the western darkness that enshrouded the mountains there.

Still.  Didn't seem quite right.  Why was she backing up?  Now confused in another way and slightly concerned, he canted his head, You okay?  Her behavior seemed pretty weird to him.  Mal wasn't exactly highly threatening on a good day -- that wasn't his thing since he didn't have the genes for it, let alone the training.
The stranger says the right things for now, and Zephyr allows himself to relax a little bit, letting out a soft breath as he takes in the words. His head tilts slightly at the word Moonspear, ears lifting slightly from where they'd been pinned. From the way the other says it, it sounds like the name of a place, or a pack, but he can't be sure.
I came from the opposite direction, He glances briefly toward where he knows the mountain range is, finding the memory of it bitter. Some guy attacked me while I was trying to get around his pack's borders. That was awhile ago, though. He decides not to answer the other's question directly, more out of embarrassment than anything; he is okay, after all, and starting to realize he has no real reason to be here. Why had he followed this wolf? Maybe he's seen Helios, he tells himself, swallowing and letting words tumble from his lips without giving himself even a moment to think: I'm looking for my brother. His name is Helios, he's tall and his fur is black and gold, and his eyes are gold too. And — my friend is looking for someone too, someone small, with a lot of scars on his face and a gold belly.
common || « french »
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
So was there some other pack encroaching? Diaspora seemed far away, so he wrote them off, Blackfeather wasn't quite that way from his understanding... Hm. He definitely didn't want another Moonspear around though. Well if you do go that way, be careful. Moonspear has caused a fair amount of trouble for my pack. They don't play nice.

The descriptions didn't ring a bell either. Mal was left wondering how old he was when his sisters first vanished.  Younger? Maybe. It felt like forever. Certainly took an edge off the cheer and how he'd felt in the shadow of the last few days though. Welcome back to the screwed up world. Sorry, I don't think I've seen Helios at least.  Maybe the other one?  Do you have a name or something to go with it?  Also depended on your definition of gold.  And what other colors were involved, and would help if he wasn't misremembering Firefly as well (not that he ever knew that guy's name). No matter what, if you guys need a place to stay, I've got room here though. Whether you'd want to wait and see if they catch up to you or find 'em and come back later. Offering shelter and some of that rabbit he just caught was the easiest way for him to be able to help. But why weren't this kid's parents around to help? Mal had at least been pretty sure his own story was an outlier. Maybe not so much...
He nods slowly, grateful for the advice, though he can't helping adding, No one plays nice, I think, Except a handful of wolves sprinkled sparingly throughout the wilds, maybe. He thinks of Phillip and Firestorm, but he doesn't mention them. He ends up distracted by the other's next words anyway, attention suddenly split between excitement at the possibility of finding Phillip's friend and utter confusion at the sudden offer of a place to stay. Uh... He wracks his brain for the name Xynien is assuming Phillip gave him.I think his name is Alarin? It sounds sort of right, at least. His gaze turns slightly suspicious with his next words. A place to stay? Permanently? Why?
common || « french »
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Still, even though he'd had an idea that maybe it'd be him, Mal still did react a bit at the name.  Alarian was a bit of a ghost that just seemed to keep floating through his life, never really sticking around.  Reliably unreliable.  And, making the assumption that Mal did get Phillip's name from Alarian at some point, Wait. Is Phillip your friend? I thought Alarian came back and got him-- he'd wanted a place for the kid to stay. I-- What he'd done, was obviously messed up if Alarian actually hadn't come back like Mal had assumed.  He'd been too busy.  Hell. Okay, let's just move on a little bit and depending on what was said he could make excuses then.

But there'd been another question. Mal's reply wasn't as focused as it would have been before. Look. The pack I've made -- it's because the place I grew up wasn't really a home, so I'm making one. You need a place? Well, I can offer -- not doing so would be like.. hypocritical or whatever. Because he was out to do this better than the people he'd come across. Mal was gonna make sure people that stayed here actually were treated right as far as he could tell.
In an instant, the situation becomes overwhelming. The stranger mentions Phillip's name, and another, Alarian — but then he connects it to his own mispronunciation, and it clicks. His ears flatten as he listens to the other, and his gaze grows increasingly suspicious. He's not a kid, He tells him, finding that the most important part to address. And neither am I. But he's my friend.
Why would you offer me a home? You don't know me, or even my name. What if I'm a creep, or a murderer? He's starting to get upset now, but he's not sure why. Maybe the reason I don't have a home is because I'm defective. Maybe I don't have a family because they didn't want me, and maybe you won't want me either — did you think about that? No, he wants to continue, you didn't, because if you had, you wouldn't have offered. But his throat is too tight for words now, and there are tears spilling from his eyes that he hadn't noticed before — but above all, Zephyr is confused. He doesn't understand why the offer had drawn such a reaction from him. All he knows is that he can't control it.
common || « french »
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Blink. Wow this kid (he mentally emphasized it, of course) was way too wound up. Sounded like him when he was a kid -- maybe not quite, but definitely verbally aggressive enough. Okay fine, you don't wanna be called kid, you're gonna have to give me something to call you. I'm Mal. Pause. And I'm pretty sure most creeps and murders don't go around looking for their friends' friends -- they probably don't have friends in the first place.

Anyway, back on topic! The kid was preaching to the choir on that one. And you're not the only one who's had it tough. My mom left, dad stopped paying attention to us, when my sisters disappeared nobody gave a damn, and I sure as hell don't think anyone cared when I walked off too. But I'm sure they thought I was some sort of rampaging monster too. But here he was -- he had a pack, he took people in that weren't wanted, he actually cared for the people he took in instead of pretending. He was better than Elysium. So I don't care what the other people decided to call you. I offer a fresh start. Be who you want to be -- and you can prove you're better than everyone who wronged you... Purely out of spite if you want. Of course, that little last quip was with a bit of a smirk. Honestly, knowing he was doing a better job than Elysium was so very pleasing.
By the end of the other's speech, he still can't decide if he likes him or not — but at least his tears are drying, and he has a name for the stranger now. Mal. An odd name for an odd person, he decides, a little baffled by hearing the other's life story within minutes of meeting him. My name is Zephyr, He offers slowly, blinking away the last of the wetness in his eyes and feeling grateful that Mal hasn't mentioned it — or maybe he hadn't noticed. He swallows, silent for a moment as he contemplates his response. A new pack; a new start, under someone who seems to understand that the world can be cruel, and wants to create something different. It sounds too good to be true, so of course he'll have to question it thoroughly. How many other wolves are in your pack?
common || « french »
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Honestly, Mal had no idea how to properly deal with someone crying so just trying to keep talking to prove stuff could be different and better was about the only thing he could think of. Then if they stopped, great! Certainly did seem like Zephyr had a tough time out there -- Mal's own response had always been to get angry rather than to cry about it, but nobody had really challenged him on it, which was probably a good thing or an Elysium member would have lost a nose or something.

The real challenge for the player was remembering roughly how many people were in the pack at the time of the thread. There's  six of us -- no, sorry, five. An ear tipped back. Honestly, the whole reason he'd just been out wandering around in the first place was because Ceilidh left and Mal didn't want to talk about it. Sure, other things happened because of that, but whatever. Had someone need to leave the other day -- family stuff I guess. Did take a bit of his cheer remembering that, but he tried to brush it aside. A couple more wolves would disappear in the following weeks -- well, one disappearance and one also going out to seek their family, but that was still better than some. Either way, we're not the biggest pack around, but I think we have some good people. Even if Ceilidh was gone and he'd failed to invite Cupid back with him. Oh well.
Five? Five isn't much bigger than his own little group, really. He pauses a moment, thinking. He even forgets to be suspicious for a few beats. I didn't know a pack could be so small. My dad led a pack with a lot more wolves than five. The idea of joining this pack is sounding better by the moment; less wolves means less potential assholes, and more potential to make a place for himself and his friends. And Mal doesn't seem to care if they keep searching, from what he'd said — it sounds like a good deal so far.
I have two friends, Phillip and Firestorm — I bet they'd come here too if I did, and that'd be eight, more like a proper pack. But — His suspicions come back then, of course. I don't like being ordered around. I'll do what you ask, if you're a fair leader, but how do I know you are? And what about my friends? They listen to me, and I have to keep them safe. For the most part, anyway.
common || « french »
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Mal tipped his head, Maybe it's just me but I don't think there's any crazy magic number to make a pack a pack. We're here. We got this forest as ours. Most people seem to respect it now, and the few who don't... Well, they probably wouldn't even if we had twenty people. AKA that one chick. Ugh. She'd been gone a little while, thankfully.

Huh, so another not-previously mentioned person too? Interesting. Well, you could tell me about yourself, your friends. If there's gonna be any troubles, we can fix it now instead of waiting for something dumb to happen. See, I'd rather everyone agree stuff is good and just do it rather than having to nag anybody about it. I want to make sure all of the people in my pack are protected -- they join up too, they're in that group. Tell me what you guys need, I'm sure it can be made to happen. Most likely at least. If Zephyr wanted to pull the moon down from the sky or something, then nah. Reasonable things.
The offer surprises him, and he finds himself pausing again, putting some thought into his answer. Firestorm needs freedom, He says first, thinking back to the conversation they'd had a week ago under the gentle snowfall. He likes traveling, so he can't be here all the time. But he's good at fighting, and really strong, so he can protect the pack when he is here.
Phillip needs... sometimes I think he needs to be protected from everything. He can't help defend the pack. I can, though, Another idea occurs to him, then. Mal might be fair, and his members might be good people — but that isn't a promise for the future. If anyone can just walk up and join like Zephyr is now, the future of the pack is surely doomed. He dislikes the idea of being led into a trap, even if it isn't on purpose — but he also dislikes the only option that occurs to him. He can only truly trust his own judgment (and even then, shakily), but that means little if his judgment doesn't matter to Mal. The thought of demanding it makes him feel a little nauseous, unsure as he is, but he knows he has to be sure for his friends. He has to make sure this place is safe. And he's at least certain that the worst Mal can do is say no.
And I want to be your Gamma, He decides, recalling Maman's role at Swiftcurrent Creek. She hadn't been a leader, but she'd been respected; her opinion had been respected. I want to help you with the pack, help keep everyone safe. I'll earn the rank. My Maman was a Gamma, so I know how. I'll be at the borders every day, and I'll check on everyone too. I'll take orders from you, but not anyone else — and if something happens to you, I could protect everyone. I can fight — not as well as Firestorm, but he's teaching me. He's pretty sure this is the hardest he's ever tried to convince anyone of anything, and he isn't sure he likes the feeling it inspires. But he hopes it works. The idea of having some small piece of control over his life, over his environment and his friends' safety, almost scares him; he wants it far, far too much.
common || « french »
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Firestorm should probably help teach all of us a bit then. Get everyone all brushed up so if the neighbors get grumpy we can tell 'em to buzz off. IT wasn't like Elysium was big on teaching them fighting -- or teaching them pretty much anything. But you know, minor details. That sounds about how Alarian seemed to be talking about Phillip. If you think that too, and that's what he needs, then we can keep him safe. Wasn't that kinda why he seemed to be wanting to stay at Mal's pack in the first place? Okay, he ended up running off like the lame dude he was but oh well. Did they really want to know what Mal thought of Alarian's tendency to disappear and ditch kids? Probably not.

Ever have one of those moments where you can't quite place why something sounds weird and familiar? Mal got a kind of weird expression on his face when Zephyr said "maman" -- why the hell was that so familiar sounding? He didn't mention it, though. Well, of all the wolves in the pack, you'll probably want to talk to Simmik too then. She's been helping me out with a lot of the things like that. I haven't really worked out specifics of who gets what title or whatever really -- don't know what she's . But I definitely wouldn't mind having another wolf there I can rely upon. Not everybody who's come through the pack has been the type who would wanna do that -- not everybody would be the type who should. He wouldn't ask Cam to fight, nor would he ask Ceilidh for an entirely different set of reasons.  Still, Zephyr sure seemed like they had a bit more focus -- but that could be because having a few friends right now would drive that... Mal had been alone when he started. Still, gotta respect Zephyr for that. You sound like you've thought about this a bit, though. When I started out here, about all I knew was I wanted a place for me and my sisters. The rest didn't matter.
fade with your next post? <3
I’ll ask Firestorm about it sometime, then, He says in the brief pause between Mal’s words, falling silent again to listen intently to what follows. He tries to make note of the name Simmik, but part of him knows he’ll forget it later — especially when he gets distracted by what sounds like praise. The idea of being someone who can be relied upon — the type who should be in that role, as Mal put it — appeals to him even more than he’d realized. That kind of power could easily be the solution to the problems in his life, to the question of who he is and who he wants to be. He can’t claim to have planned this all out as Mal seems to think, but he likes that idea too; having a plan sounds smarter than what he’s been doing.
I didn’t think about it until just now, He admits, letting his guard down a bit more in light of these new developments. But I know I want a place for myself and my friends, like you did for your sisters, and I’ve already learned a lot about what not to do. So now I have to figure out what I should do, and if this could be it… I want to try it. Being alone hadn’t served Zephyr well; traveling with Phillip and Firestorm has brought safety, despite the new reasons for concern it has brought as well, and he can’t help but think that more companions could only be better. As long as he can hold his rank, or maybe even climb higher, he’ll have enough control over the situation to keep it from ending up like his time spent with Kavik’s pack.
I’ll talk to Simmik soon, He adds, suddenly remembering the girl. Now that he’s thinking about it, the idea is less than appealing, but Mal’s positive description of her softens his judgment a bit. Maybe she’s not useless like all the other girls he’s known. Thinking aloud now, he continues. Maybe she should be the first person to take lessons from Firestorm.
common || « french »
1,397 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Bleeegh, how 2 end

So maybe three new members if it all went well -- well, two and one that should have been here all along.
Fooled me. But at the very least there can be a spot for you all here. And maybe with having someplace reliable to come home to, you'll be able to work out the details. All of you. Mix your skills and and our skills together and we'll do fine.

I'd offer you a tour, but if you gotta go pick up your friends, maybe I'll hold off until you've got them all with you. He grinned. For real though, just gimme a howl when you all show up. We'll get you all settled. We'll be here. If Mal had been thinking, he would have offered the rabbit he'd caught, but he'd totally forgot about it and wasn't going to remember until he literally walked past it again.  And I'll give you a proper welcome to the pack then. And he'd look forward to it.

He'd answer any remaining questions, then and see Zeph on his way...

And then find the damn rabbit. Oh well.