Qeya River Your life burns faster
Brecheliant
Family
-Not all who wander, are lost.-
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Amalia didn't press. Simply moved, nose down, occasionally glancing to the side to make sure he didn't wander away. This was important.

Amalia nodded her head. Unless you practice at it, regularly, you do fail. Even I fail often. The important thing is you try again.

She continued onward. It was growing colder, rabbits were not out in as large of abundance, but she could smell a warren nearby.

Alright so would you like to catch or herd? With rabbits. Someone barks into their den, and then run out the other side. You have to listen closely and be swift on your feet.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
It wasn’t just him. The corroboration gave him a little bit of relief. When Amalia told him he needed to practice a lot and not allow failure to stop him from trying, Atreus nodded. He could do that. He was already doing that.

Uh, he replied dumbly when she asked him which role he wanted to take. I’m not very coor—what’s the word? He paused to see if she knew it before continuing. And I’m not that fast, either. Maybe I should be the barker?

His uncertainty showed plainly in his tone. He had never attempted this particular approach at hunting and didn’t really understand what he should be doing. But hopefully once they found some rabbits, Amalia could provide more guidance.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Coordinated? Well who is at your age? That comes with time and practice. You aren't born coordinated and if someone told you thusly. They're lying.

That's fine with me.

She motioned him towards a nearby warren. They aren't as abundant now, that the season is turning colder, but.

She nosed near the hole. You want to bark into here, and if all goes well they should run out and I can catch one or two. Once they start running. You can chase some too. Ready?
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
He could smell the rabbits once they came close to their hidden warren, though he didn’t see anything. Atreus sniffed at the air, then lowered his muzzle to comb along the ground. That was where the smells originated, he realized. He kept sniffing, ears quivering as Amalia spoke to him.

In response to her instructions, he arched an eyebrow and said, That’s… really dumb. Realizing how that sounded, Atreus quickly clarified, I mean, the rabbits are dumb. They’re underground, right? They’re totally safe down there, ‘cause we can’t reach them. Why would they come out? Just ‘cause I bark?

But, of course, that benefited the two wolves. Laughing a little and shaking his head, he moved closer to Amalia, who was nosing near a hole in the ground. He crouched, then looked to her, waiting for her to get into position and give him a cue.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Amalia watched with a brief flare of pride as he moved amongst the ground and sniffed out the creatures beneath it.

She chuckled. Well rabbits are not as smart, at least they don't seem to be. They are a good prey animal for this reason. Everything has it's place in the world. They have theirs.

Amalia moved further away from him and nearer another hole. Alright. Whenever you're ready.

She bent closer to the ground. Body streamlined for hunting and ears perked forward she waited and watched. Mouth already salivating a little.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Would this really work? Even when Amalia explained that rabbits were a bit lower on the intelligence spectrum, Atreus thought it seemed way too easy. He was more than willing to give it a try to see what happened, though.

He shifted his weight while Amalia ambled away, seeking out another of the warren’s entry points. He sat up a little straighter to watch her as she bent down near the hole, assuming a predatory stance. His heart skipped a beat.

As soon as she said so, he thrust his muzzle into the hole beside him and unleashed the most savage bark he could.

You got post #100! :)
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Amalia imagined the youth was skeptical, but he'd see soon enough. But he humored her regardless.

The patter of feet could be heard and Amalia growled and grasped one as it leapt from the den. She smacked at another stunning it. Whether it was killed by her or Bear stepped in she wasn't sure.

Happy Dance
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
He could hear a frantic scurrying somewhere beneath the ground. Atreus stilled, ears flicking hither and thither as he tried to pinpoint the noise. Before he could, there was a flash of movement over by Amalia. He gaped at her as she dispatched one rabbit, then stunned another.

The latter twitched among the grass and leaves, drawing his attention. His predatory instincts engaged, prompting his haunches to coil. He leaped toward the creature, swinging down a paw to pin it and teeth bared to grab it by the throat. In his mindless excitement, he missed his target and sank his teeth into the side of its head instead.

Atreus did not expect the scream that tore out of the animal. Startled, he dropped it and sprang backward, agog as the rabbit recovered itself and swiftly darted down another nearby hole.
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
So ICLY, Amalia plans to come back for him or at least check on him. She has already decided, but I wasn't sure if you wanted her too?

Amalia had been hunting far more longer than the youngling in front of her, so she dispatched easily what once upon a time had been very hard. It still was. There were no absolutes with hunting, none.

Amalia moved over to him, dropped the rabbit near him and if he would allow she'd rub a nose along his shoulders.

You did really well. Would you like to try again? Or i can teach you to fish?

She waved her tail behind her. And motioned towards the rabbit. Fill your belly Bear.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
I don’t really plan OOC, so I’ll just roll with whatever happens IC. :)

He barely registered Amalia’s words, he was still stunned by what had just happened. His ears were ringing with the rabbit’s unexpected scream. Only when she said his given name did he jolt back to attention, his eyes and nose turning to the slain rabbit she proffered.

Wh…why did it do that? Scream like that? he asked even as he did as she said, roving toward the dead rabbit on the ground.

He nosed at it, noting the soft, supple heat of the fresh carcass. His mouth watered and he sank his teeth into it, bringing in a paw to hold the body down while he tore into it. He made quick work of the small corpse, his first real meal in days.
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
I know, but i am not up to date on his threads. So I wasn't sure if you already had a thread going with someone icly. :)

Amalia grimaced, though she tried to hide it. It's a prey animal, their first instinct is to surprise, not fight. And it probably hurt. I imagine it would if someone was to put teeth in my head. Some things do not die gracefully.

Green eyed gaze watched him with a dose of affection. Poor little wolf, he seemed to have been very hungry. She was extremely glad she had come across him on this day. She wanted to gather him to herself and take him with her now, but she had promised him time. She would try and find his scent in a few days.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Nope, this is my most current thread! We could fade it, if you like, and have another sometime?

Only after he devoured every last scrap did he realize Amalia might have wanted some of it. Atreus wiped at his mouth awkwardly, not really sure what to say for himself. Apologies didn’t really come easy to him and he wasn’t really sorry; he’d needed the food! But he couldn’t help but think how Aventus would probably cuff him for being so rude and selfish.

Thinking about his father made the boy sigh and say, I should probably head back… But he wouldn’t forget his manners entirely. Thank you, uhm… for the food. And the offer too.
Brecheliant
Family
695 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
That works I'll have her head out to his pack lands after the current thread with Tulukiri/kuku and Cally is over :)

Amalia didn't need the food, and she felt no ill will at the youth for eating it all. What she did feel for was that he needed to eat so badly. It hurt her heart. She vowed to make sure this boy knew how to hunt at least.

Okay. Would you like me to walk you back? She didn't know how far home was, but she was willing to travel she was a scout after all. Long range was easy for her.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
No, he said after a brief deliberation with himself, offering no other elaboration.

Licking his chops, Atreus straightened onto all fours and looked around for a moment, orienting himself. His eyes then drifted back to Amalia. He looked contemplative.

But he said nothing further other than a stilted, See you, before turning and beginning the long walk back to the rise.