Stone Circle In this place where we stand
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
All Welcome 
She slowly abstracted, the way you do after a death. But as is also the case after a death, life goes on. It does not care that you are still hurting. The world keeps spinning, and numbly the Nornir found herself at the helm of a pack she was wildly unprepared to lead.

Along the edges of Trehéim, she looks for @Figment. So too does she look for @Skáld.

She would not lead alone.
Kvarsheim
Anda*
226 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Skáld prepared his little nest on the now yellowing edge of Tréheim so that it might suit more than just himself, as he kept the children of Taktuq and Gunnar in mind. Often, he stayed with Figment, Tauris and their children- but he knew he slept best when he had a bit more space. He had been cautioned when he'd been young about the effects of sleep deprivation, and how it might make him more likely to have a seizure, so he made sure to give himself some nights on his own where he could sleep deeply and without interruption.

Still, he was always willing to share whatever he had with whoever was in need and so, he made his dug-out nest a bit bigger so it might suit any who wanted to come for a sleepover. He had finished adding a bit of bedding and was heading back to the family den when he caught sight of Tauris. He flicked his ears forward at the sight of her, though even seeing her made his heart ache, to know the pain she felt as well. 

He approached, uttering a low, chuffing sound, and his tail fidgeting about his ankles, in not-quite-a-wag.
“Icelandic”
“English”
Kvarsheim
NPC
614 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Away
It was a rare moment these days with both kids sound asleep, tucked against him. Fig often marveled over how quickly they were growing. Before he knew it, they would be going on their first hunt. They would be entering adult ranks, and then finding mates and having children of their own, in the blink of an eye. He smiled softly as he watched their little sides rise and fall. Hopefully it wouldn't go so fast. He wanted them to be little as long as they could.

He heard Tauris before he saw her, and though he was loathe to break this moment of contentment with his children, he didn't hesitate to gently extricate himself from the snuggle pile and go to her. There was a weight upon her that sent an ache through his frame, but he was quiet as he stepped up to her and Skáld, giving her the room to speak.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.
Fenn is welcome at all times and will in fact make me sad if she doesn't show up.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
To see them, and together; there is a fullness in her chest and she moves implacably forward to stand with them, uniting three from different walks of life; different ages; each with their own unique understanding of the world. There is perhaps not a trueborn leader among them, and yet, maybe that would be their strength, she is hopeful-

“I need to ask something of you, Fig. And of you, Skáld,” her breaths quicken.

“I am not a leader, as Gunnar was. When he promoted me, there were four wolves to the name of Kvarsheim. Now we have grown. There are many of us, and so many children. I believe they deserve a leader who is patient, who will listen, and attempts to understand, to be a voice for their concerns, and committed to safeguard their peace. I alone do not hope to be all those things. But I believe, together, the three of us, we can."

She looks into the eyes of the man she loves.

“Fig, I do not trust another as I do you to be level headed, and just. You have shown me patience, and wisdom. I believe this is what you can offer to the pack. Heart. Hjarta.”

Then to the yearling, she unites their eyes.

“Skáld, your sister Bjarna was your age when she took up the mantle of Nornir before me. I have watched you grow from a boy, into a brave man. The way you have remained something solid for your siblings through all of our grief. You are our spirit. Our Anda.”

She passes now over them both, a look of quiet worry that could only hope they too could see this vision, and would shoulder the weight of this new responsibility, in spite of how much their three lives had already been altered in the preceding months.

“Will you lead with me?”
Kvarsheim
Anda*
226 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She seemed to cheer up when she saw the two of them, and that made Skáld's heart hurt a little bit less. He did not like seeing her weary and grieving; he made his best attempts to keep a brave face for the children, but for her he softened, knowing they could share a sadness they could both fully understand. 

She spoke for Fig- and for him, and he settled down onto his haunches to listen. 

His head tilted every now and again as he sought to understand. At first, he thought she might be resigning from her leadership position- when she spoke of Gunnar, and of there only being four wolves at one point. Her tone was honest, and he thought he detected a note of guilt- and he was preparing to tell her she must continue to lead them until he realized she wasn't stepping down, but asking others to lead with her.

His mouth opened slightly and his expression smoothed. He felt relieved to realize that she would still lead; it was insurance, after all- that she intended to stay, rather than fleeing from the grief. 

Then he did the math; Figment and Tauris were two; she had said three-

He was surprised when she turned to him, then. His soft ears flicked forward, the faintly tulip edges lifting slightly. His gaze dropped when he considered Bjarna, and was surprised to realize that she was right. Was he truly Bjarna's age, now? He still felt like a child sometimes- and yet, when he was taking care of the children, he felt almost like an elder. 

He might not have had a great deal of faith in himself and his own abilities. Still struggling with the common tongue occasionally, he could only imagine that he might struggle a bit when speaking with visitors. While he felt like a protector in his heart, he wasn't sure he'd ever had a real fight in his life- and hoped he would never have to, either. He was not bold enough to lead hunts, and only dabbling in medicinal plants which would be covered by snow soon enough. 

But anything Tauris asked of him was impossible to turn down. Quietly, he smiled, grateful to have been included, and he nodded.
“Icelandic”
“English”
Kvarsheim
NPC
614 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Away
Fig was quiet and attentive as she spoke, and even though he followed each word, he did not expect the question that became her grand finale.

Will you lead with me?

He knew the answer instantly—it was 'yes'. She could ask anything of him and he would do it. He hesitated to speak, though, wondering. Was he really the best choice? He still felt like an outsider to the pack more often than not. He felt like he was the father of Tauris's children more than Hátalari. Is that how the pack saw him, truly? Would they accept a stranger to lead them?

And at the same time, he remembered a conversation he'd once had with Towhee. She had suggested leadership for him, and while he hadn't immediately taken to the idea, it had always stuck. After that, he'd always tried to be worthy of the suggestion. Was now his time?

He looked over at Skáld and smiled to see his silent acceptance. "Anything you need," Fig said finally, turning his gaze back to Tauris, "I trust you. If you think this is the right choice, then it must be."
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.
Fenn is welcome at all times and will in fact make me sad if she doesn't show up.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
She feels something of her old ease in their acceptance, the first in the wake of numbness left by Gunnar’s death. She moves to cradle Skáld, still and steadfast, in the crook of her neck before settling a kiss to his cheek.

"Thank you for trusting me," she whispers to him and in the thread of her voice is a depth of gratitude. Then she reaches for Fig, finding his eyes with a slow shake of head.

“I don’t know that I’m ever making the right choices. How do you know?” It is naive but she asks anyway. She'd always had Gunnar and Taktuq's lead to follow. They knew the right words to say where she did not.

“The only thing I’m certain of is that the pack can learn a lot from you two. I think that’s what we need right now.”
Kvarsheim
Anda*
226 Posts
Ooc — Jess
The laurels rested comfortably upon his brow, as the weight of the responsibility would be split between the three of them. He felt his greatest strength was being a caretaker, but he recognized as well that he might have to learn new skills, and spend more time along the borders. He'd been growing more sure of himself as he found his purpose within the pack, and was comfortable allowing that responsibility to expand again. 

"We help." He assured her. Whatever answers Tauris needed, they could figure it out together. 

His gaze drifted to Figment as Tauris reached for him. The doubts he had had about the man had drifted from him as if they'd only been a dream to begin with. Figment had been a doting father, and a reliable partner for Tauris as well. Now, he took on another role with the same quiet confidence he seemed to have when presented with any task. 

He wasn't sure he was terribly qualified for the position, and he still wondered if there might be others who would do better in the role than him- but if Tauris thought him capable enough, he would do what he could.
“Icelandic”
“English”
Kvarsheim
NPC
614 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Away
Her question made him smile. It was just so quintessentially her. How do you know you're making the right choices? Did he ever know?

"I don't think you ever really know until it's done," he advised to them both, "Until then, you just listen to your gut. Listen to your heart. And trust that no matter what happens, you did your best to do the right thing. That's all we can ever do."
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi

She nods, leaning into her mate as if she could absorb his wisdom. There was so much lying before them to be done. She could not know what would come of their efforts to shepherd the pack. But Fig and Skáld are calm, and when they hold together she feels balanced. Enduring.