Stone Circle I slithered here from Eden
Loner
crying is okay here
38 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Joining 

Hope I'm doing this right lol! @Tauris (Whenever you're ready <3) 

--

Amidst a cool valley shrouded by darkness and heavy clouds, a solitary figure limped along. That figure, none other than Moss, had somehow found himself cold, alone, and badly lost. The forest had swallowed him whole, and he now stood in a disarray of white trees, shedding leaves of hues he could not see.

Earlier, his journey into the woods had held the promise of a brisk trot leading to a quick exit on the other side where he hoped to find both a meal and a safe haven for the night. Instead, he found himself trapped in an unending cycle, seemingly circling a boulder he'd have bet his last breath he'd seen before. Frustration gnawed at his emaciated frame, though whether it was from his predicament or the gnawing hunger, he couldn't quite tell.

Taking a deep breath, Moss lowered his head, intending to locate his scent and thereby deduce the right direction. Yet, as he inhaled deeply, he was met not with the familiar scent of his own trail but with something entirely different—a pungent, acrid smell that made him cough and his senses scream with an urgent warning. How had he missed it earlier?

Shivers ran down Moss's spine as he stood at the invisible border, its warning still lingering in the air. Panic gnawed at his gut. He knew he had to get out of this territory before he found himself in a perilous situation with whomever this land belonged to. Grateful for his solitude at this moment, he retreated a few steps, thanking the stars that he hadn't stumbled over the clearly marked border like a fool in front of any vigilant pack wolves.

Regaining his composure, he slowly backed away from the border, careful not to cross it. His mind raced as he tried to recall how he had ended up here. It was supposed to be a simple journey over the mountain, an escape from the turmoil of the land he had left behind, but now he was stranded in unfamiliar territory.

Drawing a deep breath, Moss decided to retrace his steps. He needed to find his way back to the point where he had entered this forest and rectify his course. But the inky veil of night made navigation a daunting task, and the trees seemed to close in around him.

Every step he took felt like a gamble, his heart pounding in his chest as he struggled to shake off the unsettling feeling of being watched. He couldn't afford any more mistakes, particularly not ones as dire as trespassing— mistakes that could end with his head parted from his body.
Humble not Meek
109 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Sven couldn't sleep. Father wasnt here. He was away and though Sven watched for him daily he hadn't returned yet. This alarmed the grey freckled face boy.

Slare grey eyes narrowed as he saw something moving. Fadir had told him to watch for bears, but this was wolf. Smelled like wolf.

He barked and growled alerting his family that someone was here.
godkiller; bleeding golden ichor
737 Posts
Ooc — delaney
Warrior
Seer
the boy's barks draw ingram's attention from where he's prowled along the borders of kvarsheim; a shadowy sentry when he wasn't communing with gods and reading his threadbones.

they have quieted again, the gods and threadbones, so ingram takes to the physical world with a renewed vigor.

he finds the young sven and a stranger slinking out of the borders where he then waits.

not so sly, eh? asks the darkknight, shrugging off the shadows he had clung to. it is kvarsheim's territory you trespassed upon. a name to the pack that might or might not be his undoing. that judgement was not for ingram to pass.

magick, threadbone reading & 'godhood' is to be taken purely with a grain of salt and are written to be creations of ingram's imagination and religious faith.
sold my soul for a cigarette
Loner
crying is okay here
38 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Posting again to keep everything moving! Anyone is still more than welcome to join! <3

As Moss found himself at the mercy of the wood, his stomach knotted with dread. The unexpected alarm call from behind was a jolt to his senses and set his heart racing again. He had truly felt the eyes upon his pelt- it wasn't just a figment of his imagination.

The wave of panic that had surged through him transformed into sheer bafflement when he turned to face the source of the call. Instead of some fierce guardian of these woods, his eyes met those of a lone pup. Countless questions swirled in his mind. What on earth was a pup doing out here alone in the middle of the night? The forest was full of predators! This was no place for a pup to be wandering unattended! Had this little wolf gotten lost? 

Moss was suddenly reminded of the many months he had spent caring for his own siblings and the near hysteria that would grip him whenever one of them wandered off. But those were daytime adventures- never at night. He wondered about the pup's worried mother, how she might be searching frantically for her missing child. The urge to protect overtook the fear and confusion as Moss instinctually lowered his small body to the ground. Hello, They spoke softly, their tone one of warmth and reassurance. My name is Moss. Are you lost? Or is your family nearby watching over you?

The question was answered in the next moment by the massive silhouette that emerged from the shadows. It is Kvarsheim's territory you trespassed upon. The words sent the little wolf scuttling back like a frightened spider, distancing himself from this behemoth of starless night. Had he trespassed? His mind raced, retracing his steps from only minutes ago. No, He stammered from his place among the fallen leaves. I didn't cross the border! I'm sure of it! 
Humble not Meek
109 Posts
Ooc — Danni
His barking ceased as Ingram came upon the other one. HE had pitched his ears forward as the man had begun to speak. Sven felt bad now. The man sounded scared and alone. And he was worried after him.

This is where my parents are. He spoke quietly. He looked up at Ingram unsure what to say. I saw him by the border. That was all he said. HE hadn't seen the man cross, but perhaps he had before he had come. 

His worry was that it was late and father was ill and he had siblings here. Though listening to this wolf. He met no one any harm, if anything he needed care.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
thank you for your patience! <33

That day she saw herself in a window through the greenery as the image of a scraggly stranger, whose life might have been spent in solitude, thinking of death by starvation, to the exclusion of all other matters. Including a border she would have once fiercely defended. But she was so tired.

Another mouth to feed. Gunnar was ill. Germanicus was gone.  Hungry cubs wore down the efforts of their few hunters.

But she had grief in her chest; love with no where to go, and now it was this emaciated stranger she would defend fiercely, to the exclusion of all other matters.

“Thank you, Ingram,” she gently assures the silver man first, giving the stalwart Kappi a grateful look, and then to the brave pup at his feet, “are you ok, Sven?”

And then a third look, this one for the stranger in the window.

“Are you hungry?”
Loner
crying is okay here
38 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
   Moss, the nomad, who had roamed from one pack to the next, collecting stories and sharing their own, had a knack for finding unexpected kindredship in the vast, lonely world they all called home. On this particular evening, he found such a connection in the shape of a stranger swathed in soft, ash-colored hues and the deep, earthy browns of flourishing nature. Growing things, life, and warmth. The fierceness of a mother, the camaraderie of a sister, all the shaping to be a true friend.

Yes, Ma'am, Moss replied, their words carrying a sigh of relief like sinking into the embrace of one's family after a long, weary day.

I promise you, Miss, I didn't cross your border. I don't wish any harm toward your pack, They continued, their voice growing more assured. By the looks of it, though, I wouldn't have much luck even if I had tried. He added a soft jest, accompanied by a brief, uneasy glance at the giant, monster man again.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
“I know you don’t,” She blinks, not quite understanding how- but she knows.

It is more than a show of good faith. Of quick notice is how frail this wolf is, and how he favors a leg. They are not a warrior, perhaps not even a hunter in this state. And yet, his eyes are wide and there's humility there. She warms to him anyway, lowering her posture, shifting back to invite the ravenous stranger through the wooded barrier that mark this edge of the highlands for Kvarsheim.

“What is your name?”
Loner
crying is okay here
38 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
A faint smile graced the delicate features of the little wolf. Gratitude emanated from the depths of the gentle, sage eyes, their constant restlessness settling for a moment upon hazel irises to offer a silent thanks.

My name is Moss, ma'am, like the fluffy stuff that grows on the ground. They rose slowly from the scattered leaves, their movements careful, albeit marked by a certain clumsiness as he sought to alleviate the pressure on his hind leg. 

He paced forward, gaze returning to the woman, attempting to read her. One lithe paw hovered over the boundary, awaiting a secondary confirmation that it was alright to cross.

Once that unspoken agreement was confirmed, he would venture tentatively into the pack's territory before pausing. Moss would take the lead or, at the very least, be as forward as possible without risking getting lost. It was a sign of trust, an act of faith, as they aimed to ensure they remained within the woman's watchful gaze.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
“It’s Tauris,” she introduces in kind, eyes passing between his own and the crooked gait, though only for the concern that his step might be soothed by a healer from their neighboring riverclan. Still, the meeting of two wolves along a pack border was no casual affair, and her notice over his limp could have implied that this gaunt little wolf was a liability.

Leaving Sven in the watchful care of Ingram, she ushers the warmgray stranger into Kvarsheim.

“Moss- call me 'ma’am' one more time and I’ll rip your tongue out. Got it?” She flicks her tail coldly, but the corners of her mouth betray a little amusement."What is it you do?"
Loner
crying is okay here
38 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Moss couldn't help but flinch at the icy tone, turning quickly to try to read the expression and offer a desperate 'I'm sorry.' Then, seeing the hint of a sense of humor dancing around the wolf's expression, he considered including the word in his apology. He thought about it, not bothering to alter his expression or conceal the obvious train of thought.

No, he wouldn't want to risk actually upsetting her if she had some sort of unfortunate memory associated with the title, so instead, he settled upon: Sorry, Miss Tauris. I, uh, hope I didn't offend you, offering up a low, pathetic wag of their thin tail. It's second nature. I forget some people don't like it, haha. He turned his head again to smile at her, My mama would rip my tongue out herself if she heard me not using my manners, though. Big deal where I'm from, ya know?

Moss pondered her question. What was it he did? Well, I suppose a bit of everything? You sort of have to be good at this and that if you've decided wandering's your calling, eh? Although I mostly know things, I suppose. I travel around and trade what I've learned on my journeys with other packs. He was moving at a steady pace now, his hind leg tucked away neatly. It seemed the limp was more of an issue when getting up and not so bothersome if walking.

You couldn't tell now, but I'm a fine hunter. I was the lead hunter for a pack I stayed in once upon a time. I didn't plan on leaving that one, but, eh, things happen. Ouch! Oh, a rock. Watch that just there. Anyway, I also know my way around a nursery. I have lots of... Um... They trailed off, almost impulsively saying kids, his kids, of course, but... That might give the wrong impression. Lots of younger siblings. So pup-rearing comes easy as wink now. But I'm sure I can keep busy wherever I'm needed. Hunting, looking after little ones, listening to your problems—I am a good listener, believe it or not- heck even entertaining. Just tell me what you need... Except for maybe a guard. I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not the most rough-and-tumble guy, they laughed. Then, a realization, eyes growing wide. Oh, that's something. Don't bother yourself when referring to me; whatever comes out of your mouth is fine. I'll come when I'm called, no worries.

Oh, I am sorry for talking so much. I swear I don't usually, but it's been quite a while since I've had anyone to talk to, you see? I can stop, though, really I can if it's bothering you. Some people like to have something to listen to, but I'm just as happy in silence. It's easier to look at things then, observe. Listening takes up a lot of space if you're doing it right and really hearing what they're saying. It doesn't leave a lot of room for thinking. He halted here again, either for lack of breath or waiting for Tauris' response; it was unclear.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
please forgive me ;-;

She’d paced beside them in perfectly civil silence- at first.

Until she could no longer nurse her pounding stress and the sparks of irritation that ignited into a roaring flame beyond restraint with Moss' every subsequent spoken word-

“Spirits!” She spins. “Do you ever stop talking!? Shut the hell up! I can’t take this, seriously! I’ve got a dead alpha, an awol hunter, a failed alliance, seven shrill puppies-”

“-and somehow the most unbearable thing to deal with is you!”
Loner
crying is okay here
38 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Want to start wrapping this up? :)

The small wolf jumped at the sudden harshness in the woman's voice, at being sworn at. I'm, uh, really sorry, Miss. It seems I intruded upon your kindness. I'm very sorry. I swear you won't hear another peep from me, They responded hesitantly, head low and tail half tucked. However, no scent of fear emanated from them.

Instead, a different kind of softness spread across his face as he realized what he had found. A pack, desperate and hungry. Not enough hunters and too many mouths. No leader and despairing eyes turning frantic to someone to comfort them. Someone so young. Had this woman, Tauris, been bearing it all? A mother desperate to protect her children, even those she hadn't bore. He felt his stomach clench as the situation sunk in, and his eyes began to sting. Although he had never before walked upon these lands, he had found himself home once again. He would keep his word. Not a sound would she hear fall from his lips.

Hear the crickets chirping, feel the night breeze ruffle your fur, and know that you are alive in a world that's big and beautiful. Do not despair. As long as you are living, there is hope.

They cast a glance skyward, hoping to glimpse a falling star through the tangle of branches.

Spirits, Stars, whoever is listening. Thank you for bringing me here. Please guide my paws and let me bear some of the weight placed upon those who can't endure it right now. Thanks.
Howlyayouya
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
She traipses on fiercely, thick in self-righteous satisfaction! Silent save for the drawing of ragged breaths at odd intervals.

For a moment instead of numb she  permits herself to feel anger! Anger at Gunnar and Taktuq for leaving, at Bonario and Germanicus and Swiftcurrent Creek and all the ways in which their pack had been failed!

And at this rambling stranger!

In the next breath, she stops. In the following she is sinking down into the grass, wedging her face shamefully beneath the sheathe of her arms. Then she bursts into tears.

Kindness! What kindness? How can she be so cruel? To turn her crosshairs onto this blameless wolf, whose excitability was evoked by the prospect of joining with them! And what was he to think now?

“I-I’m s-so s-s-sorry.”
Loner
crying is okay here
38 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
 Moss, ever true to his promise, harnessed the energy saved from not speaking at breakneck speed to reminisce. His mind had been drug to his family and how much the little ones must have grown since he had last seen them. It had already been over a year. A year since he had begun his travels, since he had walked the same isolated path as this woman. The little wolf looked down his hooked nose to see the silver that had begun to spread. They didn't wish that for anyone.

As his eyes grazed the group of strangers once more, Moss sensed a shift in the woman's expression. Then she had frozen, and Moss felt his pelt bristle. What was wrong now? He slowly padded to her side as she sunk to the ground. Their heart lurching in their chest, Moss positioned their small frame to create an impartial wall between Tauris and the scrutiny of her packmates, offering a shield of privacy to the best of their ability.

When the sobbing had calmed, Moss lowered himself to the ground, staying to the side so she wouldn't be forced to face him if she didn't want to. Their voice was gentle, softened by years of practice, 
Do you want to talk about it?
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
Their voice is so gentle in its attempt to understand, and she knew she was not worthy of it. She sweeps an arm up over her eyes, still not bringing herself to look at them through her mantle of guilt. Every possible reason she could give for her bitterness dies on her tongue. She had no right to these tears- not when others had suffered so much and so deeply, and Moss at the cut of her own tongue. She caused that.

Through the slits of her eyes she finds their gaunt edges, a body starved. He needed to eat.

“M-Moss,”
his name is roughened by tears, “it’s- it’s not you. Things have been stressful lately- but- It’s no excuse, and I’m so sorry for snapping at you.” She staggers to her feet, ears pinned and eyes hovering over the ground before gaining the courage to meet with his own; pale green; calm. She feels her tight stance ease slowly.

“A hunter, and a caretaker- we could really use someone with those talents in Kvarsheim, and I’d love to hear more about you. But let’s get you something to eat first.” she beckons towards one of the caches, recently filled by the efforts of their hunters. There Moss would have his pick from the kills, and Tauris hoped it might serve as some small sort of apology.
Loner
crying is okay here
38 Posts
Ooc — Sprout

Moss rose alongside her, Oh, well, thank you for the apology. I wouldn't let it bother you too much, though. Do you think that's the first time I've been told to shut up? Ha! It won't be the last either! he smiled, meeting her gaze momentarily before letting it wander again. His breathing was slow and even, an attempt to lower his heart rate and let his scent covey as much peace as possible.

I'm glad I'll be of some use, they said, following alongside her as she walked. Well, Spirits know I have plenty of stories to tell. Maybe tomorrow though, if you don't mind. I hate to be forward, but I'm really very tired, and it seems everyone else might be too. He gazed down into the cache, selecting a mouse with a contented grin. Are there any morning chores to be aware of?
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
“Tomorrow,” the nornir agrees, a small smile twitching on her mouth. She watches as they make their careful selection, forgoing lean cuts of deer for the most minor of stock. Tauris seizes a hare by its ear and sets it in front of him. The little wolf needed more nourishment than the meager sinews of a mouse.

“First chore is to sleep in,” her eyes were soft upon him. The meadow had gone quiet as the pack retired to their respective dens. Tauris showed him to an old fox’s burrow where he could bed down for the night, promising to help him find a more permanent shelter in the coming days.

She steps back, allowing the newcomer to situate himself. It had probably been some time since he had slept in full. The pack guarded him now.

There was the possibility that he would not stay long. Perhaps this was only a place to heal before continuing on his journey- or perhaps he would find respite and a family here, as Tauris had.

“Rest well, Moss.”
Loner
crying is okay here
38 Posts
Ooc — Sprout
Last one from me! Thank you so so much! This was a ton of fun! <33

The wanderer shimmied into the burrow, dropping the carcass, before turning to stick his head out once more.

Thank you, Miss Tauris, Moss responded gratefully. He let his eyes rest upon her face for a moment, I promise you won't regret the kindness you've shown me tonight. I hope you rest well, too. He said softly, meeting eyes that reflected his own exhaustion. With that, Moss pulled their head into the den, twirling for a moment on their bedding before plopping down with a satisfied huff.

Gifted meal enjoyed in full, it wasn't long before soft snoring could be heard from inside the burrow.