Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All Welcome 
Masque hadn’t left the rise since the reclamation, though curiosity drove them southward, then east across the moraine as they tracked @Mountain Boulder’s scent. It led them into the maple forest, where his family had briefly reconnoitered. Their scents still lingered.

They wondered about this as they meandered through the woods, senses peeled for any sign of the Ulfhedinn, his mate or child. Their belly clenched as they wondered if the schism had pushed the trio to prefer this place over the rise. Masquerade whined under their breath, their long tail lashing like a flustered cat’s.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
as he and his family had made no secret of their comings and goings, mountain boulder knew it was only a matter of time before another of the rise wolves arrived. 

today it was thorn caller, looking distinctly flustered. dirt fell from his broad shoulders where he had been helping excavate the den where new snow would hopefully whelp in the months to come, and he approached with a gentle wave of his tail.

it remained to be seen how this would be taken by red woman and her child now in leadership. mountain boulder felt this meeting would imply a great deal.
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
They sucked in a breath when the lead hunter appeared, smelling of earth. His white coat was smeared with it. Masquerade blinked, connecting the dots. They whined again, much more audibly this time, and reached to nuzzle his chin when he came within reach.

Are you guys moving here? they demanded quietly as they pulled back, eyes flicking beseechingly over Augur’s face.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
his shoulder brushed their own. he was still painted in the scent of redtail as well and now sought it from thorn caller in reaffirmation.

no.

for himself he answered. the broad muzzle turned for the countless time in the direction moon runner had gone.

he still waited.

the bloodwood was a rendezvous, though he expected to spend far more time here in the spring. and if new snow chose, they could debut their pups in the rise thereafter.
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The quick “no” evoked a ragged exhale. They leaned into him as he pressed his shoulder against them, letting the relief wash through them. But Masque still had concerns. And questions. Stepping back, they dropped to their haunches and pondered what to ask and how to ask it.

The rise is your home too, Masque eventually said, and you should feel at home there. But I also understand…

They shrugged a little helplessly, then canted their muzzle to look upward, then around. It was late in the season, nearly winter now, and still crimson colored the leaves in stark contrast with the pale sky.

If you were to wish for a new home, this would be a good place for it, Masque admitted on a sigh before their eyes dropped to catch his as they implored, Just promise me that we’ll always be allies?

Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
mountain boulder found this forest to be far too close as a competing pack. it was why he had not sought to detach himself or the family from the rise.

it was indeed a rich territory all the same, with resources he could claim for new snow and nursing pups without taking from redtail young.

thorn caller was worried. he sat near and chuffed a low note of reassurance. if they chose to split away and did so amiably, then alliance would be cemented.

his blood was in the rise, in red woman's first children. it was his home. he had only been reminded that to ensure the success of his own pups, he must guard them in different ways, and one such way was to take them out of direct competition with any other litters.
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
In his wordless way, Augur reassured them of his intentions. Masquerade yearned to take comfort from him, yet they continued to question his motives. It was not about trust—they trusted and respected him implicitly—but what compelled him to seek shelter so far from the rise.

I don’t understand, they admitted to him. If you can’t find what you need in the rise, then… Masque trailed off momentarily, then drew in a breath before continuing, It would be valid if you and New Snow wanted to do your own thing here, you know. It would make sense. We’d miss you on the rise but you’d be our ally.

It made them wonder about Dragon’s Back Ridge. They still hoped to one day claim it via one of their siblings, preferably Mulherin. But Masquerade didn’t know how such a vision might be taken, especially by Avicus. Would she be happy to see her legacy growing and spreading? Or would she consider it treachery? What would she think of the Ulfhedinn’s actions now? Especially after what had happened with Ancelin and Lilia…

Branching out isn’t a bad thing, Masque muttered quietly, glancing at Augur. It’s a testament to the rise and its legacy.

Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
mountain boulder listened, but he did not intend to leave the rise. thorn caller spoke of departure, branching, but this was for the young to do. he was not only an established pack member, he was leadership.

in his mind, dispersal was for yearlings. 

being driven out was something else entirely. 

after today, red woman would know. her reaction would determine his future, as it always had. 

but he would not leave without moon runner, and he would not make a choice of that nature without her input. this included remaining even if wealda did not accept his decision to protect a den outside the rise for new snow.

a note, crooned. mountain boulder stood and shook off the earth, gesturing toward the redtail land. he was ready to return for the day.
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Augur said nothing, wordlessly or otherwise. Perhaps he thought Masquerade was talking to themself. Maybe they were talking to themself. Nobody had judged Ancelin’s and Lilia’s plans to find their own fortune. It was only when they’d blatantly disrespected the Wealda’s say that things had gone awry.

A low croon scattered their thoughts. Masque gazed at the Ulfhedinn, watching as he shook the rest of the earth from his pelt. He gestured toward the rise. But the Caru did not move right away. They stared at the specks of soil that had landed at his feet.

He had been digging a den. There could be no purpose for that outside of housing his mate and a litter of pups. Whether or not Augur intended to claim the maples, it seemed they intended to whelp here. Masquerade would not be able to serve them as Caru either way, they realized with a pang.

Sighing, they climbed to their feet. There would always be Avicus’s next litter to keep them busy, they supposed. Ashlar’s recent return really raised their hopes with that, enough to make their long tail swing upward slightly as they flanked the hunt lead.

Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
red woman's word was final.

her children would support her. they would not stand against her edicts, as it should be. her blood and body had given them life.

mountain boulder had only wearied of flashed teeth and churning leadership. the rise now had peace and he wished it to be kept. it was why he had created this buffer space of neutrality.

thorn caller may have had no designs upon pups of their own at current, but nature was powerful. the grandchildren of wealda would be treasured. 

and he, all without words to say any of this. but his yellow eyes were soft when he glanced at thorn caller, and a lick to their own chin was further acceptance of their rank. their authority.

the sun was cold but bright as the pair crossed the border back into redtail.
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
When his muzzle brushed theirs, shortly followed by a fond lick to their chin, Masquerade rumbled an affectionate note. They tried to put aside their anxieties and misgivings about the situation. The rise had moved into an era of uneasy peace, which could soon settle into true harmony. They needed that to get them through the winter, so all thoughts of spring—of dens and derivatives—would be stored for later contemplation as the twosome headed home.