Redtail Rise Passerby
190 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
All Welcome 
He came across the scent of wolves as the sun was setting, but the wind shifted and worked against him.

Unaware of which direction the scent had originated, Mesa continued on his way and made a general assumption; what looked like the best place to settle? Where might a pack linger? There were deer in the hills here, and small game throughout the wooded patches.

He found the scent of something small - a weasel, or something like it - and after stalking for an hour, came away with the creature hanging limp from his teeth. Mesa ate this quickly and left the remains upon the border, only to continue on along the rise with blood painting his face.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The rise had recently lost two of its guardians, yet its borders were no less patrolled for it. Although Masquerade had never favored this particular task, they knew it fell to them, in part, to pick up the slack. Often they invited one of the youngsters along, for fellowship as much as teaching.

Although @Watcher was undeniably more adept at hunting, she accompanied the Caru today on their evening rounds. When all seemed quiet, Masque cut the pup loose. They continued along the last stretch alone, a bored yawn peeling their jaws apart just seconds before they noticed the intruder.

They halted. Perhaps Ancelin and Lilia might’ve attacked on sight. Masquerade took the measure of their rival first. But the sight of fresh blood on his muzzle triggered the yearling into digging their feet into the frosty ground and charging toward the pale interloper. They sent up a brief yip to alert the rest of the rise as they galloped toward him with teeth bared, fur and tail raised.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Bjern
98 Posts
Ooc — H2O
teeth click wildly as a pale pink tongue grazes over ivory glistening.

the rise grows past the discrepancies of the past. sunrise answers the call. the burning of coal is nothing short of a smolder, something that could blast itself into an inferno should she wish. the caru's call is a rallying cry. the storm cloud moves with haste, offering her own bark of assurance to bloodspot as she comes to size up the male.

she continues to grow into her guardianship each day. like drops of blood coagulating together, flame stalker comes to the side of the wise caretaker, black lips pulled back in a snarl with a very clear message to the other male.

Sunrise is a nonverbal character and communicates using facial expression, body language, and primitive vocalization. Please see her pawprints for more details on threading with her! 
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
augur did not think so often of skin tooth and wolverine. the fondness for the latter remained, but as they had moved on from their pack, so had the huntlead turned his focus entire to the borders.

he was there most often if he was not with new snow or flame stalker, alone unless a pup or two chose to follow him on his rounds.

reticent. dutiful.

blood on the air. the scent of a stranger. it was too early for a young male to be seeking a mate, but it was the proper time for a hungry loner to rob prey or a cache.

thorn caller and flame stalker had already answered, streaming after the male. augur lunged his stride alongside them, veering to the left as if they were hunting an elk and it must be first surrounded.
190 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
They came at once, with the blood on the wind now luring them like hungry sharks. The first one hesitated and so did he, slowing his gait, keeping his head level with his shoulders and his tail stagnant behind. No piece of his body displayed a challenge. Mesa licked his lips - and by the time his tongue returned to his mouth, another arrived at a run.

His ears continued to pivot and catch upon the two, keeping tabs on both of them, staying wary for danger; a third, then, sweeping wide of his position but closing in at an arc. They all were trained upon him with their attentions.

He took a gamble and looked back to where the weasel's maimed, meatless body lay upon the edge of their claim, and realized he might have stepped too close. With a chuff, Mesa moved to withdraw several paces. The end of his tail waved with indecision, attempting to convey across the distance that no harm was meant; he did not turn his back to any of them again.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masque sensed two of their pack mates flanking them, though they neither slowed nor glanced sideways. The thief remained in their sights, the splash of red on his pale muzzle ripping another snarl from the Caru’s throat.

The stranger’s shift in posture might not have given other guardians pause, though Masquerade stood apart from many of the wolves of the rise, past and present. He seemed to realize his mistake and that tempered their anger some.

The yearling ground to a halt a yard from him, their own red muzzle wrinkled and their ears thrust forward. Their long tail prickled as it arched severely over their hips, demanding submission.

Apologize, Masque commanded, and maybe we'll let you live long enough to repay the food you’ve stolen from us.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Bjern
98 Posts
Ooc — H2O
she is there to fan the flames, the anger of the caru represents a new facet to the girl that sunrise did not ever expect to see. she always appeared so quiet, level-headed. and here she exudes dominance. and in some way, sunrise almost thought of cowering away from bloodspot out of respect.

she stares at him with her dying eyes; flecks of a a faded yellow searching him for clues. his rebuttal, quiet and questioning, could only bring a small sense of relief. sunrise rumbles a low growl, nothing but the voice of encouragement support for the caru's command.

Sunrise is a nonverbal character and communicates using facial expression, body language, and primitive vocalization. Please see her pawprints for more details on threading with her! 
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
thorn caller was impressive in their dominance.

augur stood behind and to the left of the young wolf now. the displays of submission had stilled his teeth, but only as long as peace was kept.

flame stalker added her threatening support to the leadership. augur was pleased.
190 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Mesa's mouth opened in to a wide false yawn to dispel some tension, and he licked his bloody lips; eyeing the wolf that spoke, a woman with a red mask. She demanded an apology? For what? He had hunted his own meal - maybe for the littering? He turned his head slightly towards the path he had taken, but not enough to break his stare.

There were too many bodies at this point. Even though he had done nothing wrong, these wolves were ready to maim him. He liked their attitude; clearly this woman was worth following.

Sorry. I was hungry. He appeared nonchalant as he shook out his shoulders and then stilled, keeping his posture neutral. You want me to hunt for you? I can do that. He had nothing better to do. Flicking an ear to keep tabs on each person present, and feeling on-edge despite appearances. Who are you?
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The stranger neither refuted Masque, nor seemed particularly repentant. They growled at his blasé excuse. His next few words quieted the sound momentarily, only for the Caru to scowl at his question.

Who do you think you are? they retorted. And why do you think that’s an acceptable reason to hunt in another pack’s territory? You stole food right out of our pups’ mouths, Masque said coolly, eyes narrowed.

Speaking of which, they glanced at Sunrise, then her father. Their eyes softened, though they became hard again when they swept back to the insouciant stranger.

190 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
I have permission to skip the others so this goes a bit quicker!

The woman is quick to verbally lash out and counter him, and he must admit to himself there is a point to be made. The future wasn't something Mesa ever thought about beyond his next meal. It was unlikely these people would let him leave without something to remedy the situation, and while the woman glanced to the two wolves, he did too; although she softened, he watched them with caution.

Then I'll hunt to return what I took. That fair? He held back the usual scathing tone that would've accompanied his words. The world wasn't fair; best they figure that out sooner rather than later. But he wasn't about to foist his cynicism upon strangers when the situation was already so strained.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
He repeated his offer to hunt, which appeased Masquerade somewhat. Instead of answering him, they glanced at Augur and Sunrise again. Now their expression grew thoughtful.

Augur, would you like to observe him? Sunrise, you should go with them as well. He will be hunting for you specifically, unless you’re not hungry. In that case, you can cache whatever he catches.

Their marigold eyes lingered on their pack mates before landing back on the interloper. Masque was curious about his name. Was he part of a pack? But the Caru did not say anything further to him. He was in the Ulfhedinn’s hands now.

Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
augur wished to run the boy off, choreographed by a lift of his lip at the lack of contrition in the thief.

thorn caller addressed he and flame stalker, and augur turned his attention toward the growing young wolf.

make him run fast, he growled with a playful touch to her muzzle, before jerking his heavy head to indicate that the stranger should start moving on the hunt.
Redtail Rise
Bjern
98 Posts
Ooc — H2O
it might as well have been a spur in a mustang's side, a bronc screaming wildly as it thrashes from the shoot. but sunrise was no mad mare, as she becomes a speeding bullet.

a wicked mess of snarling teeth, the young girl grows brazen with her father's encouragement. she snaps wildly at the stranger's limbs, in an aim to forcefully push him away and force him to run. reckless thunder prickles her hackles, the clicking of her tongue against her teeth as faded eyes focus sharply onto the stranger.

it was perhaps not a test of his talent so much as it was for sunrise's ability to take direction and follow through. and as her heels would kick up, she would aim to succeed the expectations for both.

190 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The decision was made and he turned to go, only to be set-upon by the younger of the beasts present. She came snapping at his heel and Mesa flashed his teeth in warning, and eyed the woman who had given the orders with a narrow-eyed glare which lasted half a breath; then he was peeling away from the trio, not wanting to get bitten.

Once he was a suitable distance from them — ie, pretty damn far — Mesa would consider the contract null and void, but the protective wolves should've been happy that they'd driven him off regardless.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
The Caru turned to finish off the last stretch of their patrol. They hadn’t gone more than five paces before they glanced backward to see the stranger fleeing into the wilderness. They halted, expression baffled as they watched the pale figure disappearing into the distance.

It was good that he was gone, they supposed, but they tossed an utterly nonplussed look to the Ulfhedinn and his daughter. He’d fled without paying his dues, a realization that had Masque gnashing their teeth and scowling in his direction.

They should’ve killed him, they slowly realized, gaining an entirely new understanding as to why their comrades tended to be so merciless. Masque wouldn’t make that mistake again, they silently vowed as they broke into an agitated lope along the foot of the rise.

Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
for his mistake, the boy would be pursued for a long while.

partly for sport, partly for being a male, and partly for the adrenaline that had begun to sing inside augur with anticipation.

he was proud of flame stalker for her alacrity. his growl sounded behind the stranger again and again, until at length the man slowed, tongue lolling in a satisfied pant.
Redtail Rise
Bjern
98 Posts
Ooc — H2O
will archive in a few days unless we want more posts, lmk! <3

lurching for a limb, as if hoping the man would stumble, she remains hot on his heels until he remains far out enough to be considered a speck in her eyes. when the snow finally settles and she considers herself quite pleased with her actions (and father's encouragement), sunrise lays down her scent onto the border. it reinforced the strength of redtail rise, but perhaps more important, the strength of herself.

she stomps into the snow, as if to say "and stay out!" and deciding to remain close to the border, she decided to make her own patrol out of this little event.