Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All Welcome 
No matter what else was going through her heart and mind, Masquerade was determined not to be waylaid again. She trotted to a high point of the territory and called for @Watcher. Her tone welcomed any of the other hunters to join them, including the Ulfhedinn. She only hoped to track together, though perhaps fortune would favor them again. A hunt could unify them. A successful hunt might dull the horrors of the last one and boost morale.

She fell silent, watchful, waiting. She doubted @Mountain Boulder or @New Snow would come, considering, and that was probably for the best. But Masquerade did not regret extending the olive branch and she hoped it meant something to them. She huffed out a breath, turning to nibble at her bruised shoulder.

Her mind wandered to the Haelend. She decided she ought to look for him later. Mulherin was her confidant, Redd her sovereign, Riley her… but @Ashlar was probably the closest thing to a kindred spirit. Masque wanted to reach out to him too.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
what he had found on the field he treasured until thorn caller sang for them.

huntlead arrived for it was the way of redtail, and if he wished to be present then he would be here.

the thing he had found was carried to thorn caller with a low rumble, a signal of peace and cohesion;

a tuft of red woman's fur from the grass where she had fallen.

a tinge of her. 

mountain boulder looked to a recent mark left by blood star and then to thorn caller directly.

they both carried the matriarch, and he wished them to see that he recognized this.
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All thoughts of her mother’s soft-spoken mate fled her mind when the hunt leader appeared, ranging closer at a steady clip. Masque’s heart skipped a beat as she sucked in a breath. By the time she released it, he was close at hand. When she inhaled, she caught New Snow’s parfum clinging to his coat.

The indignation flared, jealousy curdling in her stomach. She couldn’t control it but she was determined to keep herself in check. Masque’s body tensed, then relaxed, in the space of a breath. Her mouth opened in an anxious pant as she tried to get a grip on her better nature.

She thought of Riley for some reason and it distracted her enough to even out her breathing. Her mouth shut and she dipped her snout to Augur, tail waving slowly behind her. After a few more steadying breaths, she trusted herself to speak.

Remembering the way her sister had perceived her behavior toward New Snow, Masque wanted to apologize and clear the air. Before she could say a word, she noticed the tuft of red fur in his mouth. It effectively paralyzed her tongue.

She tentatively moved to sniff at it, making a point to nudge the man’s jaw before the drew her dead mother’s scent into her lungs. It triggered so many emotions. Masque closed her eyes and let out a whine, bereft.

When she opened them a few moments later, she met his and said, I’m sorry I lost my head. I meant what I said, before. Stay. Then, Hunt with me?
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
something eased inside mountain boulder at the welcome of thorn caller, the clear apology in their bearing and expression, in their energies and aura.

softly he reached to nudge their eartip, whuffing a wave of paternal breath across their nape. 

peace. he would stay. they must stand. he could not make the choice for any but himself, but mountain boulder would remain. he did not wish to be given a reason to leave.

at the mention of hunting his wide grey ears came forward. did thorn caller have an idea in their mind or would they only track ahead?

the tiny tinge of red woman's scent hung between them, a hearkening beacon.
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
His ears tilted forward inquisitively, his expression belying his interest in such an endeavor. The Caru knew it would take more time to heal the rise’s wounds—and for Masque to sort out her own inner demons—but the devoted glint in Mountain Boulder’s eye gave her hope.

On that note, she’d hoped others would come and said as much: I was looking for Watcher and some of the others to come too. I was hoping we could track, maybe hunt if there was enough of us…

She arched her head, peering around the rise. All was still. The cold air remained silent. Masquerade huffed and eventually looked back to Mountain Boulder. He still held the tuft of red fur in his teeth, the individual hairs moving slightly with each puff of breath.

Could I put that somewhere safe? she asked in a soft voice. We can drop it off and maybe we’ll rustle up some hunters in the meantime. Otherwise it’s just you and me.

Masque’s long tail swung as she offered another nibble to his jaw. The opportunity didn’t come along overly often but she’d always enjoyed hunting alongside the Ulfhedinn, just the two of them.

Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
watcher. hunt. track.

a rumble in his throat indicated mountain boulder's interest. they had all become hunters in their own right, and he enjoyed watching their organization.

he passed his chin over thorn caller's head and moved to flank them.

safe, they said, and unconsciously he closed his jaws more tightly around the aspect of red woman he carried. it was to be kept. guarded.

safe.
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
He fell into step beside her. Masquerade took this as her cue to begin walking, leading the lead hunter toward the rendezvous site, specifically the pine tree where she’d bedded since first arriving here as a Bearn. When they arrived beside it, Masque caught Riley’s scent and smiled. Surely Mountain Boulder would notice it too.

We can put it here, she said quietly, goldenrod eyes lingering on the precious furs still clenched in his teeth, for safekeeping.

Redtail Rise
Ulfhedinn*
647 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Deerstalker
Tracker
Guardian
sun stone had been here, mountain boulder noted as he set down the tuft of red fur.

he was curious about the space; he inhaled, gathering the fragrances here deep into his nostrils.

did they mean to den nearby, he wondered idly to himself, before his yellow eyes found thorn caller's face next.
Pledged
Dragonspine
862 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
He set down the small tuft. Masquerade shot him a grateful look, then bent to nose it closer to the rough bark of the pine’s roots. She didn’t want Riley to accidentally step on it, should he return here before she did. Her nose lingered, drawing in a draft of her mother’s missed scent, before straightening and looking to the Ulfhedinn.

No one else had magically appeared, so Masque returned his gaze and then nodded toward the territory’s northern outskirts. Perhaps they would find the wild pigs that tended to roam there. With just the two of them, it likely wouldn’t be wise to try anything, though perhaps an opportunity would arise.

With a woof, Masquerade began loping that way, pacing herself to match Mountain Boulder’s stride.

We can fade here if you want, though I’m game to continue! Whatever works best for you. :)