Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
944 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
God bless Meerkat’s heart

Like Houdini, she artfully slipped from her husband’s vice – the color drained from his knuckles. She protested. Njord barely gets in a soundbite.

“Ye will find a way–” he objects under his breath.

Her touch brings some relief. The seafather’s cheek leans into the palm of her paw. Her gaze finds him. Some peace arrives.

Yet words fought to come out screaming. Njord finds the strength to release them quietly. After all, he promised himself never to raise his voice at Meerkat again.

“No,” the sound was more a moan than a statement. Njord woefully shook his head. Fight together? Protect he boys? He was alarmed to see she still entertained that fantasy. “If tha bear comes ye ken what’ll happen, Meerkat. How that ends.”

Would he be left clasping her hand, like she had Toad’s? He prayed that it would leave them be, as Meerkat hoped… but Njord felt violent things often found their end.

After a long pause, he continued. “With Chacal.” Njord’s expression was strained, impudent.

“The wolf was practically a carcass... reeking of sickness, blood, and bearscent. Tha others tended to her. I ran out tae find tha bear's trail but she wouldna let me go,” And maybe that part was reasonable.

“Yet she let the vagrant stay!”

His voice rolled into a growl. “I would never pick an outsider over my clan’s safety,” Njord reflected aloud. "If Etienne and Suzu 'ad been maimed... would she be so willing tae draw tha evil in?"

The more he spoke the more agitated he became.“She didnae fight Shardik. She doesnae know. Not really. Yer da, Kaertok, was one of the strongest we've ever had, an' he was cleft in two...”

Njord felt like the grizzled veteran and saw Chacal as a young man who had never seen war.

"She means tae let the bear follow the bloodscent just as that man followed her back to Sapphique." The more he spoke the more agitated he became. "Our son willnae be able to escape." And that was an honest fear in his heart.

If he had hands, they would have been balled in tight fists.

"Chacal said she doesnae trust in me anymore," A violent silence passed over him.

"An' I dinnae trust her either."
Members of Sun Mote Copse are welcome to join all threads and power-play Njord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not he's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

Messages In This Thread
RE: i’m hoping that after this fever i’ll survive - by Njord - January 18, 2023, 02:54 AM