Hideaway Strath come not between the dragon, and her wrath.
the dragon and her fire
162 Posts
Ooc — Leigh
She sat quietly, distanced from her mumbling peers and chaotic home.

The world was changing once again, and she desperately wanted to buy a ticket to hop on board and change with it. But she was doubtful, for her body was littered with injuries. Inflicted by Sasha, but in some ways, inflicted by herself for the selfishness of participating in such a fight over mere emotions. It had been a struggle due to her unwillingness to let go of the past and look forwards into moving on. But how can one move on from losing everything?

Leigh knew Kynareth would pull a "suck it up, life is hard" speech if he were nearby. He was the type to forget the past and solely contemplate his next move. Despite how awful he was, he was definitely a hopeful wolf. Looking ahead and seeing potential not in others but in himself. What a dick.

The woman on the other hand couldn't disagree move. Perhaps that was why their relationship went to shit so incredibly fast. She thought opposites were supposed to attract, but apparently whoever came up with that bullshit was a complete moron. Leigh believed that the past was just as, if not more important. It helped dictate one's current actions, allowed a wolf to realize their mistakes and try to avoid making the same choices when the time came again.

The she-wolf wished to know whether or not there was such a thing as redemption. Ugh, she had thought of what word so many times that it was beginning to sound stupid. The literal word sounded fucking stupid. But if she could only get a "yes" or "no", life would be a hell of a lot easier. Even if she was destined to go to hell once death arrived at her doorstep, at least she could predict such an outcome and not dwell on something that may never come.

How could a dragon just shed its scales, after all?

Kynareth was wrong, for so many reasons. Poor thing lacked the brain cells to understand even himself. It was true that, if only based on motives, thoughts, and feelings, he hadn't changed nor will he ever. But Leigh refused to believe that he hadn't changed over his lifetime. The dick was wrong. He had changed. Because despite the life-long wish of taking over the world like a Disney villain, he was constantly moving, like water in a lake. Picking up new friends, rebuilding, content and starting a family.

It was Leigh who couldn't change. Her feelings and morals were altered by situations and time, but those did not define her. She believed that one is defined by those around you. And aside from her connection with Donovan, she hadn't made another friend since her family was killed. Her whole life, even after their deaths, was tied to them and she couldn't seem to undo the knots. It seemed that Leigh was the one who truly couldn't change, couldn't move on and was therefore bound to make the same mistakes she had before.

Kynareth was betrayed by Sasha, and now, he knew better. He knew not to trust her. Leigh? She stumbled across a wolf one day who she believed to be too good to be true. And for a while he wasn't, he gave her a family and they lived happily together. But then he died, and her original assumption was eventually proven correct. And then when Donovan bounced in, once again a wolf too good to be true, a friendship too calm and pleasant, she fell for it. And like before, it died.

Leigh wasn't sure where she was going with this. Just spitting out thoughts, she supposed. Her wounds still ached and despite their irritation, she was quite proud of her scars, because it was proof that she had left Sasha the same way. And she doubted Sasha was used to the uncomfortableness of life.

The woman wasn't sure what she was now. All she knew was, she was angry. Even after everything that had happened, all the relief and satisfaction and forgiveness, she still found herself angry. Don't fuck with the dragon.

A sigh to steady and calm herself, Leigh gave her head a lazy shake of disappointment and disapproval.

For now she just wanted someone, a stranger even, to come around and offer some comfort. Offer her money to buy that ticket, jump on the train, and change with the world. Because being stuck was awful.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,079 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
BALL OF FLUFF AND LIGHT INCOMING

Arlette almost could sense the sad and conflicted vibes radiating for miles. It was like a blood trail she could sniff out sometimes. The pale female went to look where that sadness came from. She knew it herself, that deep, dark, and endless desperation. It didn't take long for her so see Leigh. She wondered what happened. She looked downcast and in thought.

Her body wasn't in pristine shape either. The pale female trotted up to her, tail wagging softly. She wasn't sure if the female wanted her to look over her wounds. Perhaps now she wanted support and comfort. Arlette had seen the female in by passing since they lived in the same pack, however, she wouldn't just come up to her and give her a big snuggle.

She just trotted up close and then went to sit by her. She didn't speak, because her motto was always, if someone wanted to talk about it they would start the conversation. Arlette would just sit with her trying to send her positive vibes.
the dragon and her fire
162 Posts
Ooc — Leigh
Leigh could sense the approaching wolf before the white fluff even came into view. Ears shifting backwards to catch the sound of footprints, the woman kept her eyes ahead and body still. There seemed to be no reason to turn around, especially if the stranger didn't carry the scent of Sasha.

She hadn't visited Dove for medical care, and in fact wanted to take care of it herself. The she-wolf was sloppy and uneducated, chewing on any leaf that looked non-poisonous in hopes that it'd be one of those magical plants that helped heal wounds or reduce pain. All she got was a bad taste in her mouth.

But Leigh was a firm believer in taking care of one's self. She had never been concerned about scars healing over neatly or potential infection. As long as she wasn't leaving a trail of blood everywhere, all was good.

The other woman finally came into view, just out of the corner of the dragon's orange eyes. Sensing the awkwardness and tense air, she opted to speak first.

"I've seen you around before. I apologize that we never had the chance to have a proper introduction. Just my style to meet someone new after getting my ass beat."

Releasing a sigh, she was unsure how to continue. It was not a sigh of boredom or irritation, just one of thought and exhaustion.

"I suppose... I'm jealous. Kynareth gets to have a family after he stole away mine. His mate has the privilege of carrying a whole litter while I nearly killed myself just having one little ball of fur. Even then she was denied to me, because apparently a singleton had to socialize or else they'd be forever stunted and oh, the horror of having an anti-social pup."

Leigh didn't mean to vomit so much information in mere minutes. But it had been ages since she had the opportunity to rant to someone other than herself. Nyra was always busy, Kynareth would always interrupt, and no offense to Locke, but he'd always somehow add gods into the mix.

"Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had kept my mouth shut and it was I who he cared for. I'm not sure if I would have been happier than I am now, but at least the envy would cease to exist."

Shaking her head, she let out a pitiful laugh.

"I... I was told that I'm here for a reason. And I keep waiting and waiting but nothing good ever happens. Everything I try to change ends up the same way it originally was. I feel so useless and tired... I'm getting older, I'm not as shiny and pretty or strong as the others. I've become at peace with that, but man does being pretty make life a hell of a lot easier."

But it isn't what I look like, is it? No, Simmik has orange eyes too. There must be something wrong with my heart instead.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,079 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette offered the female a soft smile. The female apologized but it was perhaps as much her fault as it was Leigh's. She was just about to tell her, tell Leigh that it wasn't only her fault. But, the female continued speaking, something that even Arlette hadn't expected. It was welcomed though. Clearly her instinct was right. Leigh needed someone to talk to. She sounded tired.

Arlette quietly listened. Just listened as the female started to release her story. It was shocking to hear though, that Kynareth had taken away her chance to have a family. She didn't understand the full context. Hadn't he allowed her to breed with a male? But, she had been jealous. She nodded. It seemed to go deep, her feelings. Arlette nodded, wanting to understand.

Leigh continued. How she wished things were different. Didn't everyone wish things had gone different. To then continue that she wasn't pretty. Arlette was stunned because she felt that Leigh was very pretty. These themes were very familiar to her. She had dealt with this as well, since she lost her mate and her unborn pups. Arlette knew that if she would shower the female with compliments that she might not believe her.

"Life has its away of throwing curveballs, and sometimes they hurt," she started. "Last spring I lost my mate and my unborn pups. Left alone on this world with a scarred face to forever remember what happened. It felt unfair, I didn't want to continue to live. I stayed with their bodies for days, hoping infecting would kill me but it didn't," she calmly continued. "It seemed my path wasn't done yet. There was still something out there. It was later I found Derg, and the Saints. I can go on for hours how the Saints helped me or how I've grown ever since. But the point is: Things might look dark now, unbearably so. But surrounding yourself around wolves that make you feel happy might be the first step," she advised.

For her that one wolf had been Derg. He had listened, saw her in her most ugly state. And then she had followed him, wanting to be around his positivity and kindness, so she could just use it to make herself a bit better. "And if I have a say in the matter, you are far from ugly. Plus breeding season isn't over yet...," she offered, a soft smile.

I assume they know each other's first names, since they are in a pack lol
the dragon and her fire
162 Posts
Ooc — Leigh
I'm sorry.

Leigh's heart immediately dropped as Arlette spoke. She had no idea that they shared such a painful memory, nor did she expect to have so much in common. It was unbearably painful to now know that someone else had experienced the same sorrow. The woman knew that her story wasn't unique, but she hadn't expected to come across another who could understand the same grief. And unlike herself, Arlette had received a visual reminder of the incident, and was forced to face the memory day after day. Leigh couldn't imagine how that felt, and she wanted to kick herself for complaining.

"Thank you... I appreciate your words, truly. I've been trying to view the world that way, stay positive. But each day makes it more and more frustrating, seeing no change and no results."

The she-wolf had always lived with a purpose. First, she was built to fight. Then, she became a thief. And after, a mother. But now, she served no purpose. There was nothing to distract her from the painful past, and all she had done since coming to Teekons was wander. Wandering, talking, lonely.

"I'm not sure if I could bring myself to have another family. I don't know if I'm even capable of having one. I loved my husband, I still love him, and I cannot imagine myself moving on without him. There was this one wolf, a handsome fellow who I met during my travels. But he was simply an encounter, and I doubt I'll be seeing him again. I don't want to be alone, but I'm not sure if I'd be much happier if I wasn't."
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,079 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette nodded slowly when the other spoke. It was though to see the world in a positive light sometimes. She knew that. "Sometimes we need the dark days to know which ones are light," she returned, quietly. "What would you like to see changed then?" she asked curiously, perhaps she could help the female grow towards her goal in life, find a new purpose.

What the female said next hit home. "That I feel. I-- I really like Derg but I don't want to disappoint him with the fact I might be barren," she admitted for the first time to someone. The female spoke of a husband but she wasn't sure if she mentioned Kynareth. "Who is your husband?," she asked then. Just curious. [b]"Well you are not alone, you have me and your husband, other pack mates. What makes you so afraid of being alone? Have you been abandoned or do you feel abandoned by your husband for not taking your side when you wanted a family?"
the dragon and her fire
162 Posts
Ooc — Leigh
Leigh did not possess the same hope that Arlette seemed to have had. She was happy that the younger woman hadn't lost her bright view of the world. But Leigh couldn't say the same for herself. She never grew up in that type of environment, nor did the world allow her to see life with open and positive eyes, at least not for very long.

The she-wolf continued to listen intently, a faint frown pulling on her lips as Arlette's tone dropped and sounded somewhat saddened. Though upon the white wolf's further comments, Leigh shook her head as her frown was replaced with a small smile.

"My husband is gone. He passed away some time ago, along with my daughter." She thought it'd be best to not reveal Kynareth's involvement in their deaths. "I suppose I'm afraid of being alone, and yet I find comfort in being alone. It's moreso that... I don't want to find myself alone, without company, if I ever need a friend. Being alone means I have no safety net."
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,079 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette nodded with an understatement. She could completely understand. Then again, she never saw Kaito as her husband. Perhaps it was because they hadn't been together for so long before she lost him again. She wondered if she saw Derg one day as her husband as her equal, her mate. They weren't there yet but she was hoping. "I am sorry."

Arlette offered a kind smile when Leigh said that. "How about, when you feel alone or a need for a friend, you come to me?," she offered. She wouldn't mind to keep someone company, even if they didn't want to talk. "I could use some more friends here as well."
the dragon and her fire
162 Posts
Ooc — Leigh
For a moment, she was silent. Only offering a kind smile and nod in response, Leigh expressed her gratitude for the sweet words with the small gestures. She was thankful, for both the company and conversation. She was glad that it was Arlette who had found her, and not Kynareth or Nyra. Or worse, Sasha. The woman didn't necessarily disliked speaking to the others, but there was a certain kindness that Arlette held that the others did not.

No, the white she-wolf was different. She didn't offer dumb advice or try to fix an unfixable problem. Arlette simply sat by Leigh's side, and they shared each other's pain. Shared empathy instead of empty sympathy, and that was what the woman needed in this moment.

"Thank you, Arlette. You are truly a good friend, and I extend that offer back to you as well. I'm always... lurking, somewhere. If you ever need anything, please, just ask."
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,079 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette was glad that she had offered the female help. She offered her a kind smile. She felt that Leigh would make a good friend as well, one that she didn't have in Oryx that just left her. "Thank you. I will take that offer," she grinned. It was nice to know that someone would be there for her besides Derg.

"I will keep an eye out for you, lurking," she chuckled. "You can always come to the chambers, or the altar," she said. "I am often there, and with this wintery weather it is always dry." she preferred that to outside in the rain or cold wind. She hoped that Leigh would like Simmik. She felt that Leigh and Simmik might also become good friends.
the dragon and her fire
162 Posts
Ooc — Leigh
For now, Leigh refrained from speaking. Unsure of what else to say without sounding repetitive, she instead responded with a nod and kind smile. She was grateful for all that Arlette had offered, though she wasn't entirely sure if they would grow as close as she had with Kynareth. All this time and Kynareth was the only one who the woman had spoken with consistently. But she would try nonetheless, try to interact more frequently and make new connections.

As for Simmik, Leigh wasn't sure about that either. The she-wolf wasn't hateful towards the white wolf, but there was a certain breed of jealousy in her heart. Simmik was the one who got to be happy, and the one she got to be happy with was the very wolf who tore Leigh's family away. Kynareth would have a family, and unless the woman was brave enough to leave and risk being shunned by the rest of the world, she would be forced to watch his children grow up happily. Perhaps she could find some comfort in Arlette and Derg, for their union was something to truly celebrate. But pup season would be hard, watching everyone but herself bring life into the world.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,079 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette stayed with her, even when she stayed quiet. She was there for comfort and to talk if the other wanted to talk. Arlette could chit chat but she was also comfortable with not talking. She quirked up her lips and just stayed with the female until she was send away. She made sure to tell her that too, to just send her away, she wouldn't be offended.
the dragon and her fire
162 Posts
Ooc — Leigh
The air fell silent once more, though Leigh was grateful that Arlette didn't push her to speak. Sometimes she just needed a moment to collect her thoughts, process everything that had been said before deciding in her next actions. She looked to the other woman with a smile, and was glad to have made a friend.

"Should we head back together?
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,079 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette smiled at the other and then nodded in agreement. "Of course," she spoke. "Walking is also a good way to progress your thoughts. I found," she smiled at Leigh. But perhaps doing that alone wasn't ideal, as sometimes you did need to pay attention to where you were going. Luckily, today Arlette could help Leigh with that.

-fin-