Greatwater Lake New Kids on the Block had a bunch of hits
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
All Welcome 
Atreus stood guard at @Makono’s door without complaint, though as soon as his shift ended, he always headed to the surface. The palace was quite something, though he much preferred being outdoors in the open air.

He was restless and stiff from his long watch, so he decided to use his downtime today to visit the lake. Atreus couldn’t help but think of @Inkeri as he made his way there. He shook off all thought of her by the time he reached the far side of the woods and spotted the telltale shimmer ahead.

As he closed in on the lake shore, he sniffed the air and slowed. There were scent markers laid out here. Was someone trying to claim this region?
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Loner
184 Posts
Ooc — talamasca
it was not safe for her to roam beyond @Khaba's dug-out, which she had taken for herself as a den space. the woman's natural inclination to roam her claim was hard to ignore. there was an ever-present desire to see her menfolk reunited, or at the very least to keep tabs on those that now called the lakeside their home (with her blessing).

zharille was partially inclined to hunt down the mongrel that her darkwoods man had brought home with him - the fat gray girl - but, she did not get that far. the scent of dry sands and red rock swept to her nose and the woman balked at the wind, as though offended.

after trailing that scent a few more lengths, she spotted a wolf she did not know; a low rumble started in her chest with the realization. was he here to take her man away? that was what the last visitor had done; zharille knew now not to trust the scent of that sandy place.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
He halted, unwilling to risk trespassing. Atreus stared longingly at the lake, displeased to discover it was off limits, though he could certainly understand the wolf who’d decided to set up camp here. He thought it was sort of unconventional to claim a body of water but what did he know? The shoreline was teeming with flora and fauna that could sustain a pack of wolves.

Speaking of which, a noise prompted him to glance sideways and then do a double take at the sheer size of the wolf heading toward him. Atreus instantly thought of @Moss. After spending a month in Akashingo, displays of respect came to him even more readily than before, so he hardly had to double check that his posture was respectfully neutral.

Hello, he said to the she-wolf painted in an earthy palette. I don’t mean to intrude. The last time I visited, the lake wasn’t claimed, Atreus explained. But there’s a pack here now…? he questioned.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
369 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Guardian
for anyone wondering, I am 100% doing this on purpose :D

A voice in a distance. Then familiar scents.

Khaba approached at a steady pace, coming to stand alongside Zharille. But when he turned to see who she had found upon their borders, he stiffened. 

Atreus. The boy once of Mereo, and now of Akashingo.

The shadow longed to canter away; to vanish from here. But he could not. He must stand firm, even while knowing what would likely become of this. 

Yes, this land is spoken for, He answered in her stead, tone low, chin high, and tail flagged. With these words brought to Zharille, Khaba knew he would have to speak for her, since it was not something she actively did. But now, he wondered, how long would it take for Atreus to recognize the former mazoi and run back to tell Makono of his location.
silence at the
proper season is
wisdom and
better than any
speech.

Loner
184 Posts
Ooc — talamasca
khaba was not far behind. zharille heard his approach and flicked an ear back to listen, as well as signify she recognized him as backup. he would speak for her; this seemed the easiest way of things.

zharille thought her scent was prevalent enough to earn no questions. yes, this land was claimed. it was smart of the boy to linger beyond those markers - but zharille remained wary.

she would not stop her stare-down of the stranger, and the longer tufts of guard hairs began to prickle along her spine. he had best be quick with his business.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
A second wolf flanked the first, similarly gigantic but with a swarthier pelt streaked through with silver. These mercurial highlights matched his cold, wary gaze. Makono had described this very wolf to him not so long ago, though he was so caught up in the presence of this pair of huge wolves, he didn’t even think about the traitorous former Jodai.

Atreus licked his chops and maintained a calm, neutral demeanor as he said, Noted, and then, Are you the leaders? Can you tell me anything about the pack you’re establishing?

He wasn’t thinking about Akashingo at all as he made his inquiries, at least at first. But then he remembered the pharaoh making him recite his formal introduction. Of course, she hadn’t sent him here. He was off duty. He wanted to gather this information to satisfy his own curiosity primarily, though secondarily he supposed he could report it back to his young queen.
369 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Guardian
So he wouldn't notice. Shocking, but Khaba wouldn't question it. Not yet.

This boy asked many questions, all of which seemed irrelevant to his happening here. The giant would simply dismiss them, curling a small lip. If you've only come to ask too many questions, you'll find you've simply wasted your time. Unless you have business here, get out. The last words defined with a snarl, he warned them with a small step forward. 

If he wasn't gone within the next few seconds by choice, he would be driven out by force.
silence at the
proper season is
wisdom and
better than any
speech.

Loner
184 Posts
Ooc — talamasca
the boy had questions - but before anything could be done, khaba intervened. he spoke with an authoritative tone however it was the way he stomped closer and snarled which pulled at zharille's focus.

she was pleased to know now, through the actions displayed by khaba, that he would not go with the boy or choose the sandpeople over the lake.

emboldened by this, zharille moved alongside the shadow and loosed her own snarl; if the boy overstayed his welcome, he would pay a blood price.

let that speak volumes to the mesa.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
The black wolf didn’t appreciate his questions. Atreus’s head reared back at the unexpectedly hostile reply, though he quickly began to back away, especially when his partner followed suit. He wasn’t about to press his luck when these two could easily tear him limb from limb.

Saying nothing, he turned and began loping back toward the neighboring woods. Atreus glanced over his shoulder every few seconds to make sure they weren’t pursuing him. He didn’t know why they would but he also didn’t understand their open hostility.

When they vanished into the distance behind him, Atreus faced forward and picked up the pace. That was kind of a bust; he hadn’t even found out anything worth reporting to his superiors back at Akashingo.
369 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Guardian
Clearly it didn't take much to have the young male scampering off. He knew when he was face to face with a battle he couldn't win. Khaba could've almost given him credit for it; but he wouldn't.

After they were long gone from sight, the shadowed beast turned to Zharille, offering a polite, affection nudge to her cheek. It was time she returned to her makeshift den, and he would lead her there if she so chose to follow.

She was heavily pregnant, and yet, still out here tending to her borders. It was admirable, truly. But even so, he would not have her fall ill on his watch because she wasn't tending to herself first.
silence at the
proper season is
wisdom and
better than any
speech.

Loner
184 Posts
Ooc — talamasca
it did not take much to make the boy take flight from them, and zharille felt a swell of pride for it.

khaba moved to check on her and she accepted his touch at first, then appeared repulsed by it; scowling, recoiling sharply, and as he began to stalk off with the hope of leading her elsewhere, she stood firm.

a few moments later her shoulders hunched. her belly appeared to tense. a few dry-heaves later, and she was throwing up whatever it was she'd eaten earlier, splattering the earth and the scent-line with remains of a pidgeon or something, and bile.

afterwards she felt much better, and did not seem phased by the event at all. she felt the spittle drying on her lips as she turned to follow after the shadow.