Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All Welcome 
She supposed @New Snow’s heat must be over by now, though Masquerade was determined to locate the woman regardless. She owed the Ulfr an apology, though the Caru now had another reason for seeking the experienced mother. Although she was a midwife in her own right and knew what to expect, she would need guidance and support, especially now that Avicus was gone.

Masque climbed the rise from its southern slope, striding along the crest as she tried to catch a scent. The rabbit in her mouth was beginning to stiffen, so she slowed to a stop, placed it on the ground and howled to ask New Snow’s location. The Caru would still go to her, she just needed a little direction.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Caru*
310 Posts
Ooc — ???
Her heat indeed had came and went, and New Snow was resting in the aftermath. Copulating at the frequency in which she and Mountain Boulder did, attached to the hunting they endeavored to complete, left them both with little time to rest. Insulated and warmed by the snow that covered them, with either her tail or Mountain Boulders on her nose (she was curled into a ball, and he was wrapped around her), New Snows breathing began to slow into the rhythm of one about to fall asleep…

Ah! But her own heavy twitch disturbed her—the one that oft came before deep sleep, that made her feel like she was falling—and while that was easy enough to overcome, her ears pricked as she heard the Caru call to her.

New Snow yawned and extricated herself messily from Mountain Boulders warm embrace, popping up from the snow like a meerkat would when surveilling for threats. Her ears flopped as she shook it free from her head, and after yawning deeply, New Snow blinked away the quickly falling snow from her eyes and tossed her head up in an answering song. Here I am!

But she would meet Bloodspot halfway, if she could. Bowing into a stretch and rising to shake off the sleep, New Snow looked back to Mountain Boulder who was already being covered by the snow again. It would be fifteen minutes until he was completely blanketed and obscured by it. Licking her chops, New Snow turned away and began to lope in the direction the she-wolf called from.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Her ears thrust forward when New Snow’s voice rose into the air, a beacon for the Caru. She snatched up the rabbit again and began loping in the direction of the sound, broad black paws carrying her fleetly over the fresh powder festooning the rise.

Halfway to her destination, she saw New Snow coming toward her. Masque marveled at the way she almost blended into the white backdrop. Only her hasty movements kept her visible as the pair of she-wolves met in the middle.

When the gap closed, Masquerade pressed the rabbit toward New Snow, dropping it at her feet. She backpedaled, long tail high and waving, ears pressed forward. There was something she wanted to say, though first she waited to gauge New Snow’s reaction to her peace offering.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Caru*
310 Posts
Ooc — ???
The Ulfr found Bloodspot easily, seeing her through the falling snow. Her tail waved slowly at the sight of her, and as the Caru closed the distance New Snow observed she was carrying something, which when offered New Snow was quick to accept. Her own plume remained low but its wave seemed to increase in speed, a sure sign of her own happiness. Her tongue rolled over her muzzle, all too ready to dig in, but New Snow first darted carefully over to Bloodspot and pressed her scarred muzzle beneath the Caru’s, rumbling a contented note. 

She was happy to be beneath Bloodspot. New Snow wanted it clear that she had no desire to overtake either she-wolf that she considered to be like a daughter to her. Placating licks were also distributed, her tail wave now a submissive gesture as her ears pressed atop her skull. Perhaps her own actions that day might have led the Caru to believe otherwise, but New Snow had not fought then for rank—only for her continued future here as mother, as provider.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
New Snow’s submissive acceptance prompted Masquerade to arch her head and tail a little more, acknowledging their respective places in the hierarchy. Her inner beast had begun to grouse upon catching the subtle changes in the Ulfr’s scent, though the ritual appeased it. New Snow might be the first to claim breeding rights, which threatened the younger Redtails’ positions by design. Yet it seemed they might be able to strike some sort of equilibrium…

I never meant to harm you, Masque broke the silence, or chase you out. Something about your scent that day flipped a switch in me. I couldn’t control it at first. I’m sorry for the way I behaved toward you. I want you to know I do plan to support you during your pregnancy. Your delivery too, if it happens here.

The Caru paused, wondering if she and her mate still kept a whelping den in the maple forest. Masquerade still thought they had a strong foundation for an allied pack. It might even make more sense now, with another mated pair on the rise. But remembering what Redd had said on the matter, she stayed mum.

I’m going to need yours too, Masque continued after a moment, voice softening as she nosed the rabbit closer, when my time comes.

Redtail Rise
Caru*
310 Posts
Ooc — ???
New Snow heard Bloodspot, though as ever understood little that was verbalized. Her time here had granted her some grasp of it however, and the more the Caru spoke the more clues there were. She could parse together things like harm and you—they were talking about her—and chase and scent. Me—now they spoke of themselves. Sorry, and then, support, heard often enough in her role during the hunt, and next came pregnancy, which sounded to her a lot like the word she had been called by others when with child. Another name, like New Snow and Mother! Yes… many had named her that. You’re pregnant, they would say. 

But only during that time! Never after! But New Snow did not think too much about it. 

And lastly was here, and her tail wagged a little. Here was right where they were, right where they stood. Or where she was wanted. It did not seem the latter in that she was already here! New Snow considered these things she knew, and brought them together to understand what it was Bloodspot might mean. When she felt she did, her tail began to wag more. Bloodspot was sorry—perhaps for that day. But New Snow answered with soft, encouraging whuffs and looked on at the Caru with proud, motherly eyes. The sounds were meant to assure. I am here, as that had been the outcome. 

The other potential end had not been considered after that day. Bloodspot had not driven her off for her future desires, though that was due to Bloodstar. Here, though, New Snow also understood why—instinct, in the interest to preserve their own bloodline. New Snow could not articulate all of these things. She pawed softly at Bloodspot, eyes soft. You did nothing wrong, she wished to convey—soft whines to comfort. New Snow was a wolf of feeling, but in the ways of the wild she was all too understanding. 

New Snow swept the snow off the rabbit as Bloodspot nudged the dead thing closer, and kept one broad paw upon it. These next words New Snow did not interpret fully—but the things that she hoped to share then were in line with the others words, which she did not know, and were in line with what New Snow had grasped as scent had been said.

Now New Snow moved toward the side of Bloodspot, pausing when her nose was near to the others tail. A ginger sniff caused New Snow to look to Bloodspot with a knowing look—your season approaches!—before she drew backward enough to place her cool wet nose near to her belly. New Snow rumbled again, and there was a noise that would not be unfamiliar to Bloodspot, in that her own girls called her by this name with their sounds, and Red Woman too when speaking of their Rise cubs of her blood. You will be mother, too.

Happiness filled her heart. Circling her to stand alongside her, and then in front of her again, New Snow again reclaimed the gift with her paw, though moved to nuzzle Bloodspot, unable to withhold the affection she felt for her. 

Another soft noise, I will be here, coming out in a happy string of rumbles.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
No words were needed. Masquerade knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that New Snow had forgiven all. Now both her head and tail lowered as she graciously acknowledged this absolution. When the Ulfr favored her with a soft gaze, the Caru returned it with one of her own.

Then the woman sniffed toward her posterior. Masque huffed a laugh, long tail switching. When New Snow’s nose drifted toward her belly, Masque’s flank twitched in anticipation of its cold press. But she didn’t quite touch, happy little sounds rumbling from her maw as she withdrew and came to stand beside the Caru again, a paw settling on the slain rabbit.

I should probably mention that Riley and I are mates now, the Caru said with a third laugh, her own happy little noise.