always seemed to hit me like a lightning from above
Ghost
in time you'll taste all the salt in my lungs
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
@kevlyn surprise thread for you whenever you have time

As of late, Caiaphas had been lonely in her grotto. Having grown accustomed to the pups' presence, it was a stark realization that she was alone once the two of them evolved a sense of independence. Larus had departed the tunnel's reach and Caiaphas often found him under the lengthy boughs of Sequoias. Kevlyn, being younger, was more accessible to Caiaphas -- though insecurely she felt as of late their bond had waned considerably.

Which is why today she sought him -- carrying with her in the most gentle of manners a feather secured in her tentatively closed jaws. It was the brilliant remex feather of a Gryfalcon she had secured in Gryfalcon's keep -- scarcely right before Autumn had confronted her. It was meticulously kept, though regrettably Caiaphas had dinged it during her travels. Spotting Kevlyn lurking not so far off, she trotted gaily towards him, her small chest puffed and haughty head held proudly upright as she loftily bore the small gift to the child.
this house was my flowered heart,
but my petals have fallen.
105 Posts
Ooc —
Where Larus ordinarily spent his days amongst the trees, Kevlyn spent most of his on the beach. The triangular sound was enclosed on all sides by towering cliffs, so this was the most private part of the Nereides' territory, and perhaps for that reason it appealed to him more than the windswept clifftops of of the northeast and the sequoia forest of the southwest. In the forest, he was exposed to trespassers, though just days ago it'd been proven that he was exposed even in the territory's heart.

The boy was thinking about these things, and also trying to push down sudden thoughts of his siblings (and whether they were still alive), when the sound of paws on the packed, cold sand underfoot drew his attention. He turned to see Caiaphas loftily padding toward him with something in her teeth, and automatically he assumed the correct posture of a consort by rolling onto his back and giving her the opportunity to examine him. Ultimate submission was the name of the game, and Spyridon had taught him well that it was safest to show it to any female, but especially the queen of the sirens.

Kevlyn was happy to serve, and of course even moreso to submit to Caiaphas, who was not only his Alpha female but his foster mother. His original opinion that she was an imperfect specimen was changing lately, possibly because she was nicer now than she had been when she'd first picked him up in Stavanger Bay and it was easier and easier to look past her minute, tapered features and see a proper wolf.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
sorry... i suck. we can forward this to today if you'd like

Kevlyn was quick to submit as Caiaphas drew closer -- inwardly, Caiaphas was grateful for his presence. He was young, but he was fast growing -- and already the silver-toned boy possessed an impeccable sense of self and maturity. These qualities doubtless made him invaluable to the Sound -- and much like Spyridon, Kevlyn was a most admirable asset to the Nereides wolves.

Softly she slackened her pose, adopting an air of ambivalence. With a gentle swoop of her sharp muzzle she dropped the feather and it fluttered in the air, tapering about under the ocean spray's impetus. As it settled towards the sand Caiaphas stepped back, making it clear her purpose in seeking him out had been to give him the feather. She was unsure how he would receive it -- and to spare him the pain of pretending to like it if he did not, she strode down the shoreline.
105 Posts
Ooc —
Without words or any indication of why, Caiaphas let the feather slowly drift to the ground and stepped away from it. Then she was moving, leaving him somewhat alone with the feather. This exchange was most curious to Kevlyn, who was trained to believe that consorts didn't have possessions or any right to them. All belonged to the sirens, and the sirens belonged to the sea.

After a lengthy hesitation, he dipped his fat snout and carefully picked up the flawless little feather. He stalked her footsteps along the shore only to find she hadn't gone far. Kevlyn's ears were curiously propped atop his head as he slowly approached her and said, in a voice muffled by his grip on the feather, "what's this for?"
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
Caiaphas didn't have a reason, truly, for why she had brought the feather to Kevlyn. She had found it, and instantly coveted it -- but then she recalled the youth and his penchant for trinkets. It was not a strange habit, she thought -- it would certainly prove useful later on in his adult life. Being somewhat of a hoarder, she found his proclivity for collection quite endearing.

"No reason." The Siren Queen said affably, turning back to the water's edge. She was quite content to walk along the swashline and feel the icy water against her toes -- anything to distract her from the awkward affection she had just displayed.
105 Posts
Ooc —
Kevlyn studied her and stayed his tongue, even though she behaved almost bashfully, something he never expected of her. If not so watchful, the young consort would miss the subtle signs, but he lived as a gargoyle in Ankyra Sound. He saw everything and heard everything and unabashedly prided himself in these qualities. It was another thing the Ostrega believed made him superior to others.

"I must not," said Kevlyn, letting the feather drift from his lips on a buoyant breath. "I cannot accept this, siren queen. I am here to serve." Kevlyn was well trained. Brainwashed by first Greyjoy and now Spyridon, doubtless, but well trained in what he ought to know. Even promise of seeing his mother or father again couldn't tempt him from his post. This was either depressing or pleasing to those who knew him.

But he was clever. This was a game. Kevlyn recited the words he was meant to say, and then observed their effect on the siren in question. It revealed a great deal about them, and how much freedom he had with each of them.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
The sea-witch turned upon the silver-framed youth, her expression somewhat clouded. This had been no test of Kevlyn's resolve -- though he showed well his training in a most ardent fashion. Such discipline deserved a reward -- such refrain was admirable -- doubly so for a wolf of his age.

"It was not a test." She replied simply, almost whimsically -- as if she, the Siren Queen, could never devise such a manipulative scheme. "Besides, you wouldn't dare reject a Queen's token of esteem... would you?" The shithead rebutted, a tender smile issued as if sugar wouldn't possibly melt in her deceiving trap.
105 Posts
Ooc —
The last thing the obedient youth expected was to be spun around, but that was Caiaphas' area of expertise whether he knew it or not. She turned his words back on him so expertly that he was left questioning his own training and not her craft and cunning. Was it really okay to refuse a gift when it came from the Siren Queen? Was it proper to refuse acknowledgement when that acknowledgement was more of a command than a favour? He didn't know the answer.

Nevertheless, he was cowed by her sly words and found his ears wilting uncertainly. He shifted awkwardly for a second before mumbling, "then thank you, Siren Queen, it is an honour to be recognized thus." It was just a dirty feather, truly, possibly carrying bird parasites for all they knew, but Kevlyn was sincere, and greedy. He would treat it like a golden medal.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
mind if we wrap up?

Caiaphas watched as the youth wrestled with his training and courtesy -- it was certainly a dilemma, though it had not been an intentional one. When Kevlyn's ears sagged with doubt she rallied herself to speak -- but it appeared she needn't, as he mumbled his gratitude into the biting wind.

"It is not an honour if you earn it." Caiaphas twitched her tail, her expression benign despite its normal pall of unkindness. She was pleased he had accepted the token -- but she was even more pleased that Kevlyn, thus far, had been a shining example for all all wolves of their creed to follow.
105 Posts
Ooc —
Sure!

He shuffled awkwardly in response to Caiaphas' praise, feeling oddly good about himself and yet knowing to show it was borderline treason. The young part of him struggled to hide a small smile, though, as he dipped his head to pick the feather back up off the ground before a strong wind could carry it away.

"May I be excused, siren queen?" he asked humbly, keeping his snout near the ground and his eyes averted. His ears splayed back as though he expected to be punished for this bold question, but part of him was hopeful she would allow him some time to stash the feather with his small collection of smooth stones and shells.
Ghost
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
Caiaphas had but many flaws -- one of which was her lack of adherence to the Nereides culture. She had tried so steadfastedly to treat males with the harsh decorum her sisters instructed of her -- and so many times, she had miserably failed.

Spyridon and perhaps Akantha were better suited to instruct Kevlyn of the appropriate mein -- but Caiaphas held no contention in that regard. She cared little, and it was dangerous -- she saw Kevlyn (and Larus) as her own, and had she been the sole guardian of Kevlyn she likely would have turned him into a little undisciplined monster. She was lucky he was so subservient given her flimsy adherence to the Nereides law.

As a result, she took no offense to his inquiry. Affording a small smile all her own she dipped her head in affirmation -- she would watch him trot down the shore and then after some time had passed would turn towards the grotto to take stock of her wares.