Lion Head Mesa life doesn't always go my way
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
936 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
senmut felt the floral radiance of her smile and blushed softly. "I enjoy when you are with me also, nazli." voice earnest.

what was it like? and then another question. senmut paused a little while and saw how he might be able to give two answers in one telling.

the priest looked out across the reaching red land, illuminated by the cold winter's sun. 

"i was born very poor into a tiny village in upper aswan. we were peasants. fellahin." it pleased him a little, to share this with her but to now be in an exalted place where he could bring her finer and more beautiful things.

"the priesthood of any god or goddess is supported almost entirely by offerings of food or any precious thing. in a city, there are more inhabitants to bring offerings. so stronger priests. happier gods. but in a place such as where i was born, the priests are lean as the lowest worker. less to give, even when it is all you have."

senmut paused, chuckled. "forgive me. I am getting to your answers."

"now, in every village and city there is a priesthood school, where boys are sent. if your parents have enough to pay tribute, then every quarter they offer it to pay for your education. not every boy can be sent."

"some are given."

"my father and mother had too many children to feed in the middle of a famine. i was born alone. because they did not think they could keep me alive, they gave me to the priests. this was more common than you might believe. a child given into priesthood would be bound to the gods forever. he would not go home again."

senmut paused and a comet of pain passed through his expression and was gone. "so i went to school." a soft smile. "i learned all the names of the gods and how to record a message sharply in my mind. i learned long histories and later, older incantations."

senmut tried to wrap his long-winded recollections. "i went from that small priesthood school to a larger one, and after that a nobleman took me on as his scribe. i did not think it would be so fulfilling. but to reach out and to feel the essence of Amun — it is the greatest pleasure and deepest peace."
Messages In This Thread
life doesn't always go my way - by Nazli - January 11, 2023, 12:49 AM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Senmut - January 11, 2023, 01:27 PM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Nazli - January 11, 2023, 05:01 PM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Senmut - January 11, 2023, 09:09 PM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Nazli - January 11, 2023, 09:31 PM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Senmut - January 14, 2023, 08:05 AM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Nazli - January 14, 2023, 12:57 PM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Senmut - January 14, 2023, 03:41 PM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Nazli - January 14, 2023, 03:45 PM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Senmut - January 14, 2023, 04:19 PM
RE: life doesn't always go my way - by Nazli - January 16, 2023, 02:28 AM