Sea Lion Shores くコ:彡
25 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
There was something that held him there at the shore, a nagging sensation in the back of his head that all but insisted he remain there. Why, he didn’t know, but he obeyed all the same. Something about the place put him at ease, despite the obnoxious sounds that echoed throughout the beach—it was almost as if he’d been there before, in a faraway life. He saw glimpses of memories flicker behind his eyelids, but the memories were not his own... at least, he didn’t think they were. But if not his, to whom did they belong?

A mystery, unusual and confusing.

Kubo lingered away from the sea lions, keeping far out of their reach; he observed them from afar with a curious gaze, wondering what it might be like to exist alongside them—only problem being that he just wasn’t stupid enough to even try, not wanting to imagine how awful of an outcome that would have. But... the low grumble of his stomach made it difficult to resist.
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She'd forgotten how isolating leadership could be.

And this time, funny enough, it was worse.  She'd leapt on the role with no forethought, and now that she had it she realized she in no way wanted it.  Yet it was hers all the same.  The difference was plain between here and Ironsea; this place wasn't hers and these wolves weren't hers.  She'd helped build her previous claim from the ground up and many of the wolves were ones she herself had pulled in.  She'd known and trusted them in a way she didn't these, and she felt ill fitting in the role she now wore.

It also didn't help that she kept this to herself this time.  Erzulie was there, but she wasn't in the same way she'd been previously.  There was some sort of wall, one that didn't scare her, but one that had made her not broach the subject yet.  Back to keeping her own counsel, for a time, and seeing where this ship took her.

Currently it took her south.  She needed a break from the sound and the challenges it presented, and the place the sea lions roamed wasn't far (I don't have the map so this might be wrong oops).  She arrived in time to see another there, looking at the creatures.  Her state made her stop.... she wasn't sure she should approach.  She was not obviously pregnant yet, but the rounding of her sides was nearing that stage.  

But a hunt sounded so good.  If she was careful... and he did most of the work....  Considering your options? she called out.
25 Posts
Ooc —
Focused on the creatures before him, Kubo hadn’t heard the woman approach. When she spoke, his entire body shot up like something straight out of a cartoon and he spun around to face her, heart pounding. At first, everything told him to just run—run and keep on running, stopping only when his legs collapsed beneath him. But as he stared, too scared to move, he processed; the female did not appear malicious, nor were her words particularly threatening. In fact, they weren’t threatening at all—just a question, nothing else.

Slowly but surely, the anxiety-ridden serpent calmed down. He did not relax fully but he eased up enough that his body could at least move again and he was breathing easy. “Maybe,” he eventually answered. “But I don’t, uh... I don’t have many options. I’m not... well, uh, I’m not... um...”—boy, was he embarrassed, he could barely even finish—“I can’t really hunt well... I mean, I can! But, uh... not things like those...” Rodents, yes. Lagomorphs, for sure. Large beasts that made loud noises and easily outweighed him, most definitely not.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She frightened him apparently.  She had to hide a smile as he turned and looked like he was about to take off.  If that was what he wanted to do, she wouldn't chase him down.

Instead her casual manner seemed to put him at ease somewhat, but she couldn't hide a smile when he began to stutter.  

Not the easiest prey, but if you have a few more than just us, a good meal.  She replied conversationally.  Those ums come with a name?
25 Posts
Ooc —
Not easy prey. He assumed as much, given their size, but was noticeably disappointed nevertheless. A meal as large as that would have fed him for a good while, after all. But those hopes were gone and he frowned upon realising that. “Oh,” was all he could manage to say. More rodents, then.

The conversation did not stop there, however, much to his surprise. His head popped up and he looked at her, immediately fumbling to find his words. “I’m”—wait, who was he again?—“Kubo. Just Kubo. Who’re, uh, you?” Introduction? Check. On a roll, Kubo.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Just Kubo. He was a timid sort for sure, and she was surprised he'd made it so far on his own with that demeanor.  Maybe a hidden beast lurked under the stutter? She couldn't imagine him as he was fighting much of anyone.

Rosalyn.  You from far? She asked, following the curiosity to the answer.  She did not imagine he would make much of an addition to Rusalka, but no one was without use.
25 Posts
Ooc —
Rosalyn.

The name didn’t seem to fit her at all, nor did it stir any sort of an aha! revelation from within him; he didn’t know her at all. But that was fine, he was no longer concerned with trying to find anyone from the Creek.

But then came the million dollar question: Where was he from?

Although she didn’t say it quite the same, the bottom line was exactly that. He froze where he stood, entire body going rigid, before gradually relaxing again. “Sort of,” he answered thereafter, shuffling his feet an an effort to discretely put some distance between them. “I came from a place with a, uh... a creek. A big, loud creek. But, um... I don’t really remember where it is anymore.” By that point, he was ready to run—not because of her, but because of what she might know. He didn’t want to return to that place, not after he’d finally gotten over the fact that he was on his own, and so his legs remained at the ready, just in case she tried to take him back.

Travelling alone for so long had, clearly, made him rather paranoid.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She'd thought to recruit him, perhaps, but so far she was far from impressed by what she'd seen.  Judging from his manner, his tone, and his body language he was both young and afraid.  Neither of those would do well in a Rusalka and neither of them intrigued her enough to give him appeal.

Mm, fascinating. She responded, in a tone that made it clear this wasn't a true or kind statement.  Another lost kid out on his own.  Had anyone asked her about a child in recent memory? If they had, she hadn't cared enough to commit it.

Y'know, if anything means to do you harm, they'll scent that fear from a mile away.  She added idly, not bothering to move any closer.  Now that she'd decided he wasn't worth her consideration, she didn't much care if he bolted.
25 Posts
Ooc —
The remark about a creek didn’t seem to strike even a hint of a memory from her. So, she didn’t know? Or maybe she was just pretending not to? Either way, he relaxed once he realised that he wasn’t about to be dragged back to his place of birth, only to stiffen again just a few beats later. “W-what?” he asked, staring. “I’m not—I’m not afraid!” Honestly, a newborn could probably see through the lie that he attempted to spin. Actually, maybe he was just trying to convince himself that he wasn’t afraid... Whatever the case, he for sure wasn’t capable of fooling anyone, himself included.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She certainly did not believe him, but was amused by the attempt in any event.  You should practice saying it.  Helps if you find a bit of anger.  She replied.  Good advice by her measure, though she wondered if he had the capability for anger.  Didn't look like it.

In any event, good luck not being eaten.  She turned, clearly ready to leave him to it.
25 Posts
Ooc —
Well, it didn’t seem as if he’d been believable enough. Frowning (read: pouting), Kubo opened his mouth to interject, only to be shut down by her dismissal. So what if he was a little bit afraid—as far as he was concerned, he had every right to be! The point she’d tried to make for him flew right over his head, too, leaving him even more frustrated than before. No matter, as she turned away, he watched for as second before spinning himself around and stomping off, fear turning into tantrum-fodder.

Next time, he’d make sure she knew he wasn’t afraid of anything.