Sun Mote Copse That's why we're all wearing braces
Ghost
So then find Dodge, then get out of it
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
As the sun broke over the Eastern horizon, peaking over the mountain range that kept them in the dark just a little bit longer than other areas, Niamh groaned and rolled over from one bloated side to the other, but found she couldn't get comfortable. Even with all the furs and such that lined the den, there was simply no getting comfortable when there were living jellybeans inside you that kicked, squirmed, lodged themselves under her ribs, and stepped on her bladder. Speaking of-

She was quick to leave the den, hustling with small, quick steps so that she could make it far enough away from her den so she could relieve herself. She groaned, blinking blearily into the bright light, and lifted herself slowly from her squat to cast a look around. One of the pups kicked and she groaned again. "I swear. If I knew how to start a fire, I'd start one up inside my hooter and smoke you guys out." She said. She was completely ready to be done with this pregnancy nonsense, with the way her lower back ached, and she was short of breath all the time. She felt that she moved about as slowly as a porcupine, and had the same sort of waddle to her step. 

Still, she was hungry and grumpy, and needed to find something to eat. Hunting, by this point, was ridiculous, so she decided instead to raid a cache, so she set out in search of something easy to eat, or someone she could convince to catch her something fresher.
Ghost
I still don't get it right sometimes · I just don't get it as wrong
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt had been thinking... a lot.  He'd been tempted to go to Finley, but she was due any day and no way was he jumpin in that gator's mouth.  Fuck that shit.  So it was just he, himself, and him... but fortunately for himself, Colt was an excellent counselor.  He could talk himself through any shit, no problemo.

Like the fact that he technically had a baby momma instead of a wife, and how that was shit, but he didn't want it to seem like the reason he was willing to make another go of it was because she was his baby momma.  You feel him?  Also - hm.  Ready to make another go of it.  Apparently his want to be better than he'd been in the past was trumping his fear of bad luck marriages.  He was 0/2, one of them had to stick.  Did this count as 3, or was it 2.1?  (programmer joke srry I'm supposed to be working).

Well shit.  

Best course of action was probably to talk to her, so that's what he was waiting to do.  He settled by where he knew she liked to lay when it was sunny, right by their den, and waited for her to return.  He'd just missed her exit, but he imagined she'd be back somewhat soon.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh continued on her journey, going from cache to cache, but finding nothing that sparked her interest. She wanted something, but she wasn't sure what that something was. She was hungry, or so she thought, but nothing that she scented seemed to strike up a flare of interest- though that was likely because nothing in the caches was fresh enough to be apetizing to her...She found this ridiculous- in this condition, she felt like she could eat just about anything- but she just didn't want just anything. She wanted something warm and fresh, and massive. Once she'd figured that out, she realized that she wanted to eat a whole deer by herself...But that wasn't exactly an option. 

So she gave up and dug up a rabbit that someone had stored away and carried that back to the den. Against the green of fresh, new grass, she could see in the distance that there was a large patch of brown bathing in the sunlight- and that, she assumed, would be Colt. As she approached, she huffed a bit, and turned her ears back slightly. There he was, sun bathing, while she was off trying to find something not only to feed herself, but her pups too. His pups. And there he was, just laying in the sunlight. 

She managed to keep herself from growling- but she couldn't stop the mild scowl that came to her face even when she dropped the rabbit to the ground. He was in her spot. Doing nothing. "You look comfortable," She said, contempt lacing her words.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
He had no idea the storm that was brewing in her as she approached, but her tone clued him in that something was off.  He did his best most times to provide meals when he could, but it didn't cross his mind that her pregnancy might strain her.... or affect her moods.  This was his first rodeo sticking around long enough to see the handiwork up close, and shit was he about to get a reality check.

Hey! Yeah, actually.  What's up?  He had the good grace to stand up and move forward to greet her, his tail waving despite the question in his tone.  No concern yet; she seemed okay?  Though if someone had pulled some shit then he'd definitely need to handle that wouldn't he.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Post #1000 for you! <3

Her narrowed gaze found that her mate didn't shrink under her scrutiny, and that he had the common sense to vacate her spot. She was surprised to be greeted so fondly and sweetly when she'd glowered at him and hissed a snide comment at him only moments ago- and it made her feel a bit bad. Still, she didn't feel bad whatsoever as she moved forward, leaving behind the dirty rabbit she'd unearthed where she'd dropped it a moment ago and carefully lowered herself down onto the ground where it had been warmed both by the sunlight and Colt's body heat. She'd blithely touched her nose to his cheek in greeting, but not much more than that. She huffed lightly, and repositioned herself. There wasn't really any getting comfortable now, with their pups growing large and fitting themselves in underneath her ribs, bouncing on her bladder and stretching and kicking whenever they felt like it. 

"The sky, I dunno," She replied with a dour frown. "My everything hurts," She whined, and repositioned herself again, finally giving in to the urge and flopping down flat on her side, allowing her round belly to rise high above her shoulders and hips. "An' I look like a beached whale. I feel like a beached whale. How much longer is this gonna go on?" She pleaded, rolling her eyes toward him, hoping he'd assure her that she should be ready any minute now.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Ouch, one of those days.  He winced sympathetically, though he couldn't really imagine what she was going through.  Anything I can do? he asked.  He was a little out of touch when it came to most things, though it occurred to him Eljay might be able to help him out. Perhaps he should have a chat with his nephew on things he could bring.

You look gorgeous, he responded to the second comment, and it was heartfelt.  Didn't matter if she was right, she was the prettiest damn beached whale in the entire ocean.  I actually had something I wanted to talk about, but I can wait.  If she wasn't feelin him being here then this definitely wasn't the right time.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh's ears flattened, and she clenched her teeth together when Colt offered to help. She cast her sharp gaze aside, still watching him with a steely side-eye, but refused to give him an answer. There wasn't anything he could do. He'd surrendered the sunny spot to her, and was giving her a respectful bit of distance, but there wasn't anything else he'd be able to do to make her feel better- she was sure of that. 

He complimented her looks and she turned her sharp gaze back toward him and spoke through clenched teeth. "You did this to me," Was her seething reply- as though to imply that Colt intentionally made her pregnant so that she'd look this beautiful to him. As soon as she realized how ridiculous she sounded, she glowered and turned her gaze away, and when he spoke again, he teased something, and then witheld it. She shrugged one shoulder. "May as well talk," She said, her tone still moody, but she quietly set her chin down on her crossed forepaws, and gave him a look that said 'I'll be patient for now- just spit it out.'
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Oh yeah, this was definitely the time. The perfect moment.  She was in a wonderful mood and definitely wasn't going to tell him to eat his own tail.  Or, yknow... other things.  Fuck it.

I remember it being a joint venture, hun, he replied with a small smile that belied his nerves.  Egg your baby momma on before you propose, that was always a good call.  He could just hope what he had to say made her happy because if not he'd just have to try again.  

I've been kinda stuck waiting on the right time, but honestly, I'm not sure the time is ever going to be right as it was before. That realization had taken long enough.  It was never going to be perfect because they'd already had round one, and round two was always going to feel like an afterthought.  So I figure... what if that one still counted?  Will you... take my name again?  Fuck, this was awful.  Yeah, he was being a girl about it, but this was not how he had wanted to do this.  Still, things were crazy and she was gorgeous and he just... wanted her to know he appreciated this, what they had.

I figure if I'm cursed then it probably one works once, right? And I just... love you.  Awful.  True, and the best he had right now, but still not the most romantic of setups here.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh and her angst were both quite stubborn- but when she snorted at his reply, it wasn't without a shade of a smile. She cleared her throat and tried to erase the wry look off her features, but he'd caught her. Yes, it had certainly taken two to tango. Damn you, Colt, she thought to herself, but she couldn't say it. He was right. She'd been just as involved in the whole process as he had been, and like him, she'd enjoyed every minute of it. So when he pointed that out, it actually helped relieve some of the tension that existed between the two of them. 

Niamh cottoned on to what Colt was going to do as soon as he mentioned there being a 'right moment.' She lifted her head and looked up at him, simply waiting for him to babble his way through his proposal so that she could answer- and even when she was given a moment to do so, he decided to go on and babble something about curses, but she shook her head vehemently. She didn't want to hear that- all she'd wanted to hear had already been spoken. 

"Goddamnit it took you long enough," She said, but she wasn't annoyed, she was simply relieved. "Just think of the surname we'd have to give these kids otherwise. I mean, seriously- Blackthorn-DeMonte-Argyle?" She asked, and pushed herself up into a seated position- which took some effort. "Now get your ass over here, husband, an' gimme a kiss." She demanded.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
She answered and he felt a little stupid, certainly, for worrying so much about the how and when.  Switch the last two and you'd have a pretty good start with initials.  Guess we couldn't just call them badasses and be done with it though?  Ah shit he was going to have to watch his mouth around them wasn't he? He'd never stressed it much around Fin's kids but his might be different.

He answered her demand quickly enough, stepping over to give a kiss and then sit next to her, close.  I figure we already established I'm a little slower than you, he replied after, thinking back to their run months ago and all the ones since.  He could never outpace her.  But I'm glad I was at least mostly on time.  These kids were going to be fuckin Blackthorns.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
"They're gonna be called Badasses regardless of what we name them," She replied dryly, and after a moment's thought, she cackled. "And probably a slew of other things too." It occurred to her then that her attitude had done more or less a complete 180, and that she was not feeling pretty darn content. It had occurred to her a while ago that she wasn't entirely alright with not being officially Colt's mate before the pups were born- but she'd restrained herself from saying so, for fear that it might be the wrong thing to do. 

His excuse came across as a bit of an apology, which satisfied Niamh more or less. She smiled as he kissed her cheek, and she nodded. "I've been waiting for this," She admitted with a bit of a laugh. "And...I'm glad it happened. I won't fuck it up this time though, I promise." She said, turning her gaze to him, and found herself feeling more appreciative for him now than ever. He'd given her a second chance when most wouldn't have dared- she only hoped she could hold up her end of the bargain this time.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Even with all the growing he'd done, he was still Colt, and with all his mental pacing about timing, he hadn't even considered how she might be feeling.  Even now, when she said it, it only just occurred to him that maybe, just maybe, he'd had her on the ropes.  Shit.

I kept meaning to ask, but.... fuck, don't laugh.  He looked at her sideways, warning, but he couldn't stop the smile that curled up his own mouth. It was so stupid.  I felt like it had to be the moment.  He hadn't planned on admitting it, but from what she had said, he didn't want her to think it was still carry over from before.  She hadn't been on trial for a damn long time.  Stupid, right?
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh rolled her eyes. Of course Colt had wanted it to be perfect; as tough as he probably wanted to seem, and as rough as he could be around the edges, there was no denying the fact that he was an old-school romantic at heart, the way a cowboy might be in an old movie. A bit of a rogue, but respectful nonetheless, and secretly sentimental. That was the Colt she knew and loved- the one who could tease her one moment almost to the point of frustration- but then show up at the den with pretty feathers the next, who told her she was beautiful when she felt ugly, and who continued to treat her like a queen even when she acted like a gnat. Colt had probably wanted the right lighting, the right setting, the right mood- but he'd possibly misjudged Niamh's priorities. She didn't care where or when he asked- she'd simply wanted him to pop the question for weeks now. 

"Anywhere, any time, is the right time. This is the moment and it's still perfect- 'cause at the end of the day, I get to be Niamh Blackthorn again and screw it if that leaf ain't in the right place, or the sun isn't just right- I don't care about that. I just want this." She said. She shuffled closer to him so that she could lean against his shoulder. "But it's not stupid...It's...It's really cute. I like that you're kinda soft on the inside." She said, giving him a coy smile.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Even though he'd figured it when he asked, it was good to hear it.  He'd worried in a while she'd look back and wonder why it hadn't been better, more meaningful.  Not that this wasn't meaningful because... damn.

Good.  But only for you... I have a reputation to uphold.  He winked, but when he laughed, it was an obvious release of tension.  He'd been both anticipating and dreading this, and now that it was done and she'd said yes, he felt freer than he had in weeks.  Maybe even months.

That smile she gave was one that tended to drive him wild, and he leaned in, resting his cheek on her head.  This here was perfection.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Just gonna fade this, so I can keep up with more current threads :)
Niamh laughed and leaned against Colt, her previous, irritated mood having disappeared like morning mist. "Good. Only me." She said in reply, and she liked it that way. She liked the ideas of others seeing Colt as being a bit tough, a bit rough around the edges- but with her as his arm candy. And now that they were official again, it made her proud to call herself a Blackthorn- she felt like she could now hold her head up high, and not be judged for the complexity of their relationship. She'd failed once- but she wouldn't do so, ever again.