Ankyra Sound i pray in latin
feather heart
118 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
open to mamas, sibz & anyone who'd be allowed inside the den! @ day 21 ...i'm going to say scarab stands + starts walking & has begun to eat regurgitated meat. *squints at pupguide for confirmation* sorry for these rapid fire thread starters — i'm trying to start a new one for each ( major ) development.

breakfast was a combination of ( snuck? ) mother's milk to wash down the regurgitated meat that he'd spent some time inspecting throughly by nosing through it with curiosity, making a mess of his food before he ate it. he cleaned it up as best he could but there were spots where bits of food ended up on the top of his head and splattered on his chest where he couldn't reach — and it wasn't for a lack of trying. eventually, he gives up trying to reach those impossible places and pushes himself up on shaking limbs. it's rough at first and he doesn't get too far up, his front legs tremble beneath his weight despite that they've been pulling him around on his belly as he explores and wiggles his way between erzulie and rosalyn and climbs over his siblings.

a low, frustrated huff leaves his lips as he slides back down on his belly unceremoniously. determination steels across his boyish face, brow furrowing with unparalleled as he prepares to try again.
it's a quality of the gods
to see a creature with its back broken
and be unmoved —
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
As he tried, Rosalyn watched.  A small part of her was tempted to help, as she saw him struggling, but the larger part was well aware doing these things himself was how he would learn.

She waited until he had given up, then did step forwards, affectionately cleaning away the rest with a small nuzzle.  But then she pulled back again, and watched with a smile.  Come to me, hijo, if you can. She said, encouraging.
feather heart
118 Posts
Ooc —
the second attempt is as wobbly as the first. scarab tries to stand up too fast and splays out like a young fawn sliding on ice as his legs give out on him. he lets out a low rumble of discontent. this wasn't acceptable. he wants to stand. he focuses on rosalyn's blurred shape as she encourages him, at least that's what he thinks the undecipherable words are meant to be.

there's a tone she uses, made out weakly by hearing that is still poor, that further sparks the flame of determination in his chest. he tries again, slower this time, wobbling again but catches his weight before his legs can topple out from under him again and slowly pushes himself onto all four paws. he teeters a bit, unsteadily, but finds that the more he stands there testing the distribution of weight he becomes more stabilized. a paw lifts hesitantly and then another, moving him towards rosalyn at an uncertain and wobbly pace.
and be unmoved —
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn watched him struggle, trying so hard to stand, and for a moment the world paused.  Everything that came up to this point, every misstep and awful truth, none of it was present.  All that existed was this, and it was perhaps one of the most singularly perfect moments she'd ever experienced.

If there was a heaven, she may have found it.

Tears pricked her eyes as the moment passed triumphant and, wobbly, he managed to take a step closer.  She was too overcome for a minute to speak, but then the spell ended.  Perfect, she said, encouraging.  Come! You will be a runner, one day.  She thought back on that to one of she and Erzulie's first meetings, their race on the sand, and again was overcome.  For gods sake, she was not used to this emotion.

She was ready to swoop in should he fall, but wished to see if he could make it all the way.  To me, little one, to me! She urged silently, cheering him on with an encouraging rumble.
feather heart
118 Posts
Ooc —
his back legs tremble and give out beneath him. scarab's rump hits the den floor with a small grunt of surprise, followed by another frustrated huff. so close! for that moment he'd had it. the succulent taste of victory had been his for the sweetest of moments only to be snatched away; but he is not discouraged. his tail stirs up a small cloud of dust as he pushes himself to his paws again, steadier this time. he'd had it before, knew how it felt, and was learning and adjusting his weight. he takes a step and doesn't fall. another follows. and then a third. a fourth! and he's excited, tongue lolling out of his mouth as he prances towards rosalyn: look at me! his prance declares as he draws nearer and then clumsily and unceremoniously face-plants into the plush fur of her breast.

learning to apply the brakes was definitely the next thing on the list.
and be unmoved —
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She watched and exhaled as he sat, noting his disappointment with more than a little endeared amusement.  Still she remained where she was, wondering if he would try again.

He did!  And slowly his confidence grew, until he was all but rollicking towards her.  She laughed out loud as he plowed into her, then leaned down, covering him in celebratory kisses.  Well done! Even if he didn't understand the words just yet, hopefully the sentiment in the tone was clear.