Ouroboros Spine Pandora's box
219 Posts
Ooc — Me
All Welcome 
I assume that with her mother's blessing Kausiut is staying with Moonglow as a visitor for the time being.

It felt as if the world had become smaller to Kausiut. She had spent months in an open terrain and treeless landscape, where only snow-capped mountain ridges on one side and saltwater pools and lakes on the other bordered the realm of the Walrus hunters. Returning to Moonglow felt as if being put within confines of four walls after enjoying limitless freedom. Well, not as bad as that, but adapting to this was not easy.

She also soon realized that she was no longer fit to traverse up and down the terrain - her crippled foreleg that had not bothered her at the coasts, now protested and ached at the new physical strain. Therefore, while she rested and figured out, what to do next, Kausiut found a cozy place at the foot of the mountain. There she slept and there she observed the other villagers from afar.

Only once did she climb up to find an old stash of her toys - most that she had treasured as a child had lost their appeal. The items that had once spoken to her, were silent now. They had lost their voice. Out of a whim, however, she picked out an odd shaped rock and a tiny, dried up fish, which she brought back to her "hut". During the waking moments, she spent time, lying on her side and staring at the rock, as if willing it to talk to her again.
Moontide
Alpha*
-I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.-
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn stayed nearer the borders now. Keeping within the sights of the village, hunting among the trees that called home. He would venture down the mountain again, when it was not so treacherous. He could be just as good a hunter here. And truthfully, he had filled the caches quite well while on his journey for a bride price.

There were new faces in the pack lands, and new scents. He had smelled the scent of Void and had yet to see his friend. He simply hoped he was truthfully willing to change, because his attitude would not be welcomed here, and Rodyn would probably have to be one of the ones to chase him out, were he to refuse to conform.

It was on one such border patrol that he came across one of these new faces. At first glance, she didn't seem normal at least physically, but such was the way. Though her pelt was similar to Samani's.

He chuffed quietly and moved closer. Hello? he smelled Kukutux on her, so he kept his body neutral.

I hope it's okay to join with Ro.
219 Posts
Ooc — Me
Kausiut did resemble her beautiful twin in some ways. Where Samani was a perfection, there she was an unfinished painting, a sketch, a first try to draw a wolf and not being particularly good at it. Still, if one looked closely, they could find similarities in the facial features and stature. It was even more evident, when you knew the pretty one quite well and you knew that the ugly was the sibling. Then one could draw conclusions by seeing both side by side.

Kau caught the sight of the young man from afar and without getting up, she followed him with her gaze, until he stopped not far from her. She acknowledged his greeting with a look and a few wags of her tail, then she rose to her feet, stretched and approached him cautiously to catch his scent and find out his intentions. He was one of the newer village inhabitants and yet his smell was intertwined with that of her sister. Making him both familiar and foreign at the same time. Content with her initial assessment, she retreated, giving him and herself space. She sat down and waited for him to speak.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
The closer she came to him, the more resemblance of the parents who bore her, and the siblings she was with showed themselves. There were many differences, but for someone as observant as he. He could also pick out the similarities. Fur color, the way she carried herself.

She came nearer and he didn't move, but allowed her to sniff at his pelt and gather what she could from such a thing. He offered a smile as she retreated, yellow eyes bright.

I'm Rodyn Ardeth. It is a pleasure to meet you. Miss?

Then he waited quietly, patiently. There was no hurriedness in his movements or his gaze. He was fine with waiting. And she may not be a talker, there were some like that Sun Man actually was not one that liked to sully the air with many words.
219 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Samani," Kau recalled Kukutux mentioning her sister's name in association with this one. They were to be married. She looked him up and down, comparing him to those few males that had run together with the Walrus hunters, who essentially were a very strong matriarchal society. There a woman did not have to live up to particular expectations and did not have to fit standards or stereotypes. There even ugly Kausiut would have had her pick in the mate, it would be her choice alone and it would be up to her to leave the mate as well. Therefore, when she regarded the husband-to-be of Samani, one could sense that the demeanor was not exactly neutral or overly-positive. In that moment she evaluated him as one would a prized horse at an auction.

"Kausiut. Sister," she introduced herself after she had finished gathering the visual information on the man. "Trade?" she asked next. Conversations, small talks and socialization in general was still not Kau's forte, but Murre had taught her the patterns of, how such a thing was done. The simple inquiries and observant silence so that the other party filled it with words and expressions. If it had been up to Kausiut - she would never talk to people at all or engage in any other activities that required sharing space with people. However, her mentor and time spent in the other village, where the rules of survival were a lot harsher, had taught Kausiut that unfortunately due to her disabilities her fate would always be closely tied to a pack. If in one side of the equilibrium is the ability to have a fully belly and relative safety provided by others, then paying for it with at least attempting to fit in and making the village care for you long-term was a small price.

At the end of the day - with all her misanthropic tendencies - Kausiut very much wanted to stay alive.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn was caught off guard as he was looked over like he was a piece of meat. But he didn't move. Quickly realizing that this wolf's brain worked different than Samani's or Moonwoman's or his own. Why he wasn't sure, but it wasn't his place to ask. He was just meant to tolerate and treat well. Though what she thought of him he couldn't say.

Well Met, Kausiut. He said quietly. He had been right, she was related to Moonwoman and Samani some how. The closer he looked he could see more similarities, though some glaring differences as well. Though as a product of his upbringing he attempted to ignore those.

She asked a question. He wasn't sure what she was asking exactly. IF he carried a trade or if he had traded or wanted to trade. But trade what? So he answered her as best as he could.

I carry the Hunter trade, and Scout. And I recently just returned from a trading journey. I traded with different packs and hunted. Gathered together Bride Price to be worthy of Samani.

He was very close to an even higher trade bracket with his hunting. He would soon boast great specialities in deer and small game.

What about you? He asked conversationally.
219 Posts
Ooc — Me
A hunter. A scout.

Rodyn was useful and Kau decided that despite her attitude towards male gender as something lesser and disposable, she should stay on good terms. Be polite, which simply meant to tune down her own personality and adjust to the person opposite of her. Come to think of it, being unhandy with words was a salvation in a way. She could keep a conversation going and despise people within her mind without ever showing it outwardly. After all with her appearance and general demeanor no one expected her to be a social butterfly, who loved everyone.

"Bride price?" she furrowed her brow, trying to understand, what did it mean exactly.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn didn't hate anyone, that he could ever recall. So were her privy to the females thoughts in front of him. He would have not understood how she could despise someone. He however, wasn't sure if she wanted a conversation. She didn't seem the type. He could have left her alone, but she continued to ask questions and he felt rude if he didn't answer.

Rodyn coughed gently, a warm expression in his gaze. I think that more of that should be explained from Moonwoman. She has told me that women had different words and circles than men. But I can tell you what it means for me as a male.

Rodyn frowned. In order to request a marriage between Samani and I. I was given tasks by Moonwoman and Sun man. Ermine pelts, Deer pelts, seashell, brother otter pelts, and I was to wrestle Sun Man. Only then could I ask Samani to become my mate, and i must declare my intentions for all to hear. This was to prove I was worthy of her. That I could provide and take care of her. I love her of course, but love doesn't feed her.

As much as he would have liked it too, he was glad however that he could provide for her and this pack. That he could make her happy as well as keep her safe and fed.
219 Posts
Ooc — Me
It had been the right question to ask. Two words had released a fountain of words. Kausiut focused on understanding at least half of things Rodyn was telling her. Again - in her experience - long text did not necessarily mean that all of it was valuable. Some people could talk all day and say nothing of use. Some - and she counted her to this camp - could say very little, but always to the point.

What she got out of the lengthy explanation was that the marriage deal was closely tied to providing food. Out of five things mentioned 3 referred to edible things, which seemed very fair. This got her thinking that maybe it was worth investigating mate stuff after all. For practical reasons, though she was rightfully skeptical on, whether relying only on one person for food, was wise. Putting eggs in different baskets seemed like a safer option.

Still. "Bride price. Finished?" three word sentence was a record for Kausiut, but she figured that by asking "finished" alone Rodyn would go away. And as much as conversations were not her thing, she was not finished getting to know him and forming some sort of bond.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Clearly she wasn't a wolf of many words, but he literally had no idea how to explain a bride price without many words. And some of it would need spoken to with Kukutux, because there was probably stuff for women's ears that was not for men. He knew this. And he imagined she probably did too.

Rodyn had been told. Bride price was to prove himself. To grow and to provide for Samani. If he could show her parents that he didn't need their help to keep her alive, safe and happy then it was okay. This was the true reason of a bride price. And it added wealth to the family and the femme.

He nodded his head. Yes it is. I declared my intentions a few weeks ago now. Samani and I are engaged.

They were taking it slow as that what she asked, because Rodyn was older. And Samani wanted many things in her life. Things he hoped he could give her.
219 Posts
Ooc — Me
Kausiut was not a sentimental creature - instead of congratulating Rodyn on his success, she thought of all the food she could have potentially had (surely Samani would have shared or made realize that she should share) and now missed. Well, she would keep an eye out on the next bride-to-be in order to have some of the bride price spoils too. The fact that she could enter a similar agreement was eventually dismissed. She was not interested in either men or women. It is highly unlikely that a person, whose looks reflected her personality perfectly, would want her as a bride anyway. Kukutux and Aiolos would have to bribe the groom-to-be lavishly for him to even consider her.

"Birth where?"that was another typical thing you asked to a stranger. Where were they from.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
The meat had been put in caches. It was the furs that Moonwoman had seemed to want the most and he could understand. They made nice warm spots to lay on in caverns and dens. Little pups would be warm in the coldest times of winter. Had she asked him, he would have told her there was more to a wolf than looks. For instance he was in love with Samani for her good heart, and the way she spoke of things she loved.

Rodyn tilted his head. I'm from a pack far away. It took me half a year to get here. My former pack was familial called EmberShadow Grove.
219 Posts
Ooc — Me
Among the walrus hunters leaving fur of a kill behind was not a thing they practiced. Once the higher ranking wolves had eaten, the rest were allowed to feast (Kausiut included) and they ate everything, fur included, and picked the bones clean. There was no shortage of walruses, but it was not easy to hunt and kill them. Besides there were other predators on the lookout for anything left over. Drying the furs would not have been possible there either - the air moisture was so high that any such feat would end up with a rotten, stinking mess.

Again - she had no way of telling this to Rodyn, but he had not asked either. He called his place of birth by name, which meant nothing of importance to Kausiut. "Village?" she asked, it was an odd inquiry, because Kau knew no other pack structure than the one her kinsfolk had. Yet - having grown up among the village wolves, he did not look or act like any one of them. You just felt it.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
There had been nothing to be done about the fur, in his former home. It was similar to what Kausiut had learned with. Though there was no way for him to no such a thing. He wasn't quite sure how to keep this conversation going with how quiet the other wolf was, but he was trying. She seemed curious about his life, even if it were with simple one word answers.

He shook his head. No we weren't a village. More just a group of individuals trying to survive. My father chased all the males of his own loins away when we turned a year and a half. Kept the girls, would allow breeding rights to some to grow the pack. I twas nothing like it is here.

Rodyn had tried to learn the ways of Moonglow, and he felt that he did well for someone who had found his way here. And he would continue to grow into it.
219 Posts
Ooc — Me
To be honest, Kausiut herself did not really know, what the actually rules and customs of Moonglow were. She had lived there at a time, when it had not mattered to her and explaining in detail would have been in vain. The only rule of law was not to get in too much trouble as to make Kukutux frown. The moonwoman was patient as a saint. Probably she had been even more lenient on her wayward kid. But up to a point.

The life and customs of the Walrus hunter village had been largely shaped by the harsh environment they lived in. At some point of history the male population had dramatically declined leaving women in charge. While the situation had improved later, the strong-willed leaders were not inclined to give up their privileges. They had managed without men during the harshest of times and they definitely did not need to rely on them now.

"What - here?" she had attempted to form his last bit about life here in a question, but she could not remember all of the details. Putting more than three words together was still a challenge.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn wasn't an expert and he was sure he would overstep on somethings that had to do with Moonglow. There were some customs he was unsure of. How to fully make them work. But he was trying.

The hunter knew well the short coming of certain men. He had seen it first hand. Sometimes they took what they wanted and gave nothing back, from those willing to give it. Sometimes they took without requesting. But for every bad apple, there were good ones too. Like him, like Aiolos, like Mojag and Stratos.

Rodyn wasn't sure what she was asking, but he could make a guess. Well here, just cause of my gender it doesn't matter. I am treated kindly. I am not rushed away, because of some trumped up breeding privelages.
219 Posts
Ooc — Me
Kausiut lost him, but she kept up an appearance of listening carefully. It happened to her - talking and speech in general took time, practice and energy. It was even harder for her, who was new to all this. Therefore every conversation was an exercise of intense focus and figuring out, what to say next. Kind of like playing chess. The outcome depended on, where she placed her figures.

"Sleep," she told him and waved her tail in a way to emphasize that she was tired and needed a break. Then in that straightforward manner of hers she let out a deep sigh, spared Rodyn one last glance and returned to the place, where she had rested earlier. Nap felt very well deserved.