Overture Downs rubicon
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
All Welcome 
The Rise boy found himself far from home. 

Onward he went, only accompanied by the hum of dragonflies, whizzing by his ears. Mulherin watches them, playing with each other in the air, before they skitter along the surface of the creek he walks alongside.

He goes on like this for awhile before he slows to a stop, seemingly lost in quiet contemplation. There were many packs here, spanning in all directions. 

Instead of picking a path, he decides he will announce himself, for anyone willing to receive him.

His howl slices through the chilly, midday air.
[Image: 3-F65-E08-A-A70-E-4-B2-A-BE3-E-C6805-BA727-B2.png]
Pledged
Bearclaw
804 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Green flooded the valley, as grass grew and buds began to swell on the trees. The scent of warming, wet earth made her feel alive; it made her hungry. She knew prey would feast on the new shoots, and she could benefit from Spring’s favours as well. 

When the voice rose, she was surprised to recognize it. To hear Mulherin this far from the Rise was a shock. She thought of her former pack, her family, often- but she’d refrained from venturing in their direction. She wouldn’t risk it; not on their lands. 

But here was Mulherin, so close to hers. 

She moved through last year’s grass until she spotted him, and chuffed lightly to see that he had matured into a man that she almost didn’t recognize. 

She stiffened and stilled, uttering a soft bark to catch his attention. Furtively, she regarded him, the tip of her tail swaying as if caught on a slight breeze.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
YAY I was hoping for you! <3

The soft crunch of grass underfoot; his heart nearly skipped a beat when he turned and saw who approached him. He hadn't heard the sound of her voice in so long. 

Lilia, He exclaimed, now beaming as he regarded her familiar features. I can't believe it.

His heart bore no ill-will toward her, despite her and Ancelin's contentious departure from the Rise. They were far from there now, he only saw her for who she had been to him—family.

Mulherin strode toward her with tail wagging, steps away from a warm embrace if he was not met with hesitation.
Pledged
Bearclaw
804 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
She watched, breath held- not knowing whether she might be attacked, shunned, or greeted as one who had once been family. She felt deserving of any reaction- after all, she had left the Rise, but she had done so to spare them all the bloodshed and loss. 

He moved toward her, tail waving so she took the risk- she bounded with high steps and an affectionate croon, her tail whirling in happy circles. 

”Mulherin,” she said, her eyes suddenly misty with tears. She felt a hitch in her throat. While she knew she’d made the right choice, the consequence was not getting to say goodbye to the ones she loved. ”Oh I’ve mithed you. I couldn’t go back, I’m tho thorry kid, I jutht…” He knew his mother’s ways. If Lilia had returned while Avicus had been Wealda, there would have been no peace. ”I wish I coulda thaid goodbye to yuh,” Gushes of emotion was not typically her style, but she felt he deserved an apology even if his mother was partially to blame for her sudden departure.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
He matched her enthusiasm, his ears pinned and tail swinging even faster. The yearling sniffed curiously at her fur, analyzing the scents she brought with her.

Her apology moved him, it was rare to see her this way. 

No, no- don't worry about it. It's okay, I know, He reassures. In his short lifetime, goodbyes were something he rarely ever experienced. They were far from an expectation. Especially in Lilia's case, she made the decision that did him the least harm—he understood. 

The boy had no desire to dig up the past, or reflect on the messiness of it all. The present is all that he focused on.

Wow. It's good to see you again. He marvels.

Then, Mulherin peppers her with questions. How have you been? How's Ancelin?
Pledged
Bearclaw
804 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Forgiveness brought her peace, and resolution. While she still felt that it had been settled in an unfair way, only Avicus had earned herself a grudge. Mulherin and the other kids were innocent, in her mind, victims if she considered how torn they must have felt through the entire conflict. 

”I’m glad you came out thith way,” She was indeed grateful- she wasn’t sure she could ever visit the Rise again, not if Avicus was still there. 

”He’th good, really good,” She said. ”We’ve adopted a couple of orphaned girlth, made friendly with the other packth in the Valley,” In her voice was relief, gratitude. ”We’re gonna have kidth thith thummer,” She said with a smile. Her dreams were becoming a reality, bit by bit. 

”How’th everyone back at the Rithe?” She asked, sitting down. She wanted every detail- as there were still several wolves there that she cared about a great deal.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
He’d expected many developments for the pair, but the mention of orphans quirked his brow. There had to be quite the story there.

Geez, they're lucky to have ya guys. He replied. You'll really have your hands full. That's great.

And as for the Rise?

They're doing well, He informs, quite truthfully—minus one very.. large detail. Augur's wife gave birth a few days ago, actually. 
Pledged
Bearclaw
804 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Did he mean it? She searched his face for any sign that he might feel bitter or left out now that the Bearclaw pair had a family of their own. She thought his sentiments were honest enough, and if anything he seemed more curious than envious. 

Her ears perked at the mention of Augur’s name, and she felt a light pang of regret to find out he and New Snow had had more children- ones she would likely never know. 

”Oh that’th wonderful!” She said, easily summoning a pride that she felt deep within her. She was glad their legacy continued. ”What did they have?” She asked.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
Mulherin knew that the two of them were close. 

I'm not sure. Haven't been inside the den yet, I wanted to give her some space.. y'know, cuz of hormones and stuff. He confesses. Actually, I wanted to get her something for them. 

Though it wasn't his first motivation for venturing out, it certainly wasn't the last.

You got any ideas? He asks with an earnest gleam in his eye.
Pledged
Bearclaw
804 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
They must have been new- even Mulherin hadn’t seen them. Nevertheless, she smiled, tears pricking the corners of her eyes still. She wished she could know them- hunt alongside them, and teach them to brawl as she had with the other children. For now she would have to be happy to know that they simply existed. 

She stepped forward so that she could nuzzle Mulherin gently. ”Tell them I’m happy for them,” she said, drawing back. Augur might scent her in Mulherin’s fur, and she hoped he might be happy to know that she still existed, too. 

As for his suggestion, she shrugged. ”Bringin’ food ith alwayth good,” She said. ”But I think what matterth the motht ith jutht quality time. Offuh to babythit, or play with the kidth,” Presence, not presents. 

She studied him for a moment. ”You look good, Mulherin.” A funny thought struck her. Without her present, she had to wonder how the ranks had settled. ”I think you’d make a good Bertherkuh, by the way,” She said with a guilty shrug.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
Of course, He responded, embracing her once more. If the message to Augur was tangible, his fist would be white from how fiercely he held onto it.

He noted Lilia's advice; it was what she had done for him, after all. In a way, he saw parallels between the old and new Rise generations. There were big shoes to fill. Will do.

Her next suggestion surprised him, he hadn't expected her to somehow guess his new role so quickly. Mulherin missed that air about Lilia, her attentiveness; she always seemed to see right into him.

About that—I can only hope I'll be as good as you. He replies with a sheepish grin.
Pledged
Bearclaw
804 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Her brow raised; she studied his face for a moment, that guilty smile, before her pupils narrowed and her jaw fell open. The corners of her lips drew up- and she eyed him fiercely for a moment as if to suss out a prank, before she threw her head back and let out a raucous laugh. 

”Shut uuuup, theriouthly?” She gawked at him for a moment before dropping her head and jutting her shoulder forward to thump it against his own in a guy-ish chest-bump. Her tail waved as she drew back. ”Tho yuh Bertherkuh now huh? That’th wicked, Mulherin!” She said, a proud growl in her voice. 

He was an excellent candidate; but she had to wonder- if he was Berserker, then what of the others?

”Did you hafta challenge Redd for it? Or Avicuth? I can’t imagine Mathque goin’ for it but I could thee one of Augur’th girlth thteppin’ up,” She mused. ”Thpill, Mul- I wanna know how it all went down,” She prompted.