Moonspear cynic's new year
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
All Welcome 
@Osiris had been relentless in his nagging. A lesson, a hunt, something to fill the time left in the wake of changing seasons. Dirge had hoped to instill some of those skills in his children sooner, but when the prey had turned scarce it had tossed most of those plans right off a cliff without regard. So when hunting had twisted out of his grasp, he was left to basics—tracking.

And tracking, he knew, was not a skill his children lacked. Much in the way they were relentless in their many talents, they had taken to tracking one another just as easily as they did the rest of their family. It was the rarer occasion that he could wrest one of them away from the others, and today was Osiris's lucky day.

Along the snowy slope of Moonspear's forested shoulders they lurked, Dirge's voice hushed against the breezes caught in thick, wild pine boughs.

"See these here?" He gestured gently with his nose to a tattered path left by a hare. "Do you remember what kind of prey leaves these?" There was little doubt his son would not know; they were all bright in their own way, but there was still much to learn. Quiet moments were far and few in between.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Finally, Osiris' persistence had paid off—Dirge had agreed to take him tracking, and he could hardly contain his excitement. 

Their lesson began among the cover of the woods, as Dirge indicated a trail that had been left behind. Crouching at his father's side, Osiris scrutinized the paw steps, as he considered his answer. "A rabbit?" Osiris asked, making an educated guess. The distance that separated the individual markings was the giveaway; Osiris didn't know of another small mammal whose stride was as long as a rabbit's.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
He watched as his son rooted about, coming to a conclusion that produced a thin smile out of Dirge.

"Good, you remember." Not that there had been doubt to suggest that he would not—if anything, all his children were sharp enough to ascertain one thing from another. It certainly helped that they had a variety of helpful family to aid them too; Dirge's ventures into lessons had largely been on his own with much trial and error.

Carefully, he pushed ahead beneath the bough of a nearby tree, falling into tracking just as easily as he had brought them there. While the larger prey would continue to still elude them, at least they had a fair share of smaller fares to choose from, and for better or worse. He could hunger all he wanted, but at least the young would not. He would keep their innocence intact for as long as he could.

A quiet inquiry followed the steps ahead of them as he prowled and Osiris remained a shadow beside him.

"Now, what else do you remember about them?"
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Osiris grinned at Dirge's recognition. Composure had been something that he had been working on as of late—as Hydra had advised in a previous lesson

Osiris followed after Dirge with light footfalls. "They're quick," he recalled when asked. "And... they hop, right? That's why the tracks were so far apart from each other?" For now, that was all Osiris could remember.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
"That's right," he confirmed, "but they do more than just hop. They're quite fleet-footed when they want to be, very capable of running when they need to." His gaze left the boy then and swept out to the footfalls once more. He studied them, a feat done quick and with certainty to know just what it was that the hare sought.

"This one was foraging, see how the path meanders? Even with all the snow on the ground, they look for things beneath it to eat. Greenery, mostly." He moved along, careful not to disturb the path left as they made their way. "Now, if we were to find this hare, can you tell me what you would do? How would snare it?"
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Osiris promptly lapsed into a silent thoughtfulness, considering the variables in the hypothetical situation. "Well, ideally, I'd approach it from down-wind—I remember you and mother both mentioning the benefit of doing so," he drawled, breaking the silence. "I'd move slowly, carefully, until I was as close as possible... I don't want to startle it."

Hesitation occurs, and Osiris' gaze finds Dirge. "But, I'm not sure... do I just...leap? Or is there a better way to try and catch it?" For now, he is conflicted.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
There were many occasions when he could not help but marvel at them silently; how only a few weeks ago they were beginning to only grasp the finer threads of what it was to be a wolf, and now any one of them could rattle back to him the workings of tracking and hunting. It warmed him to listen to Osiris speak, his head bobbing agreeably with the boy until he had reached his own barricade.

And on the precipice of such did Dirge teeter, listening until he could not.

"You could, if it seems the right thing to do. Leaping, lunging, run it until it cannot run any more—all are options, but they depend upon the situation. A hare in a field may do best being run until you can simply grab him up, but a hare in the mountains may require more precision." A thin smile graced his features. "But if you do find one in a situation where it does not know where you are and you can simply leap upon it, then by all means, you leap. Better to try and gain the practice than to deliberate until your quarry moves on."

In time, he knew the decisions would be easier. They came faster with experience until they were there and gone as nothing more than a blip of interference; the thrill of the hunt appeased him even if he did not say as much in words, and he spoke of such things fondly.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Osiris nodded, absorbing the information Dirge provided. "So... my answer depends on multiple things?" he asked, seeking clarification. Osiris had deemed that there were multiple possibilities, but he wanted to be entirely sure before committing this to memory. His face twisted then, as he thought of a less than favorable situation: one in which he was stunned by indecision. 

"What if I can't decide what to do?" Osiris asked, his voice softer. "Should I still leap and hope for the best?"
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
On came the deluge of questions; he smiled at them.

"Always, though every situation will be different to some extent. You will learn when to do the proper thing and where to apply the right tactic. Practice will make perfect—the next time you come hunting with us, pay attention to your mother and I, and you will see." What did not come instinctually would come through trial and error, as did so many things they would bestow to their young.
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Osiris smiled at Dirge; he was anxious to join his parents on their next hunting trip. "I will," Osiris promised, making a mental note to remember his father's suggestion, as he spoke, "Do you think I'll be able to come out and watch you hunt soon?"
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
"I would like that very much," he answered, "but your mother will have to agree to such too. I don't imagine that will be a difficult feat though. She's as eager as you are to bring you along." And such had been on their discussion table here and there, among the many other things that came and would come to be. He wanted them all to have that first hand knowledge soon—they were no mere cubs mewling any longer.

"Now then, shall we see where this trail leads? I'll follow you—show me what you know."
523 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Guardian
Once prompted Osiris lead Dirge along the scent-laden trail. Though their expedition did not end up fruitful, he enjoyed the time solely spent with his father. Upon the end of their outing, Osiris promised Dirge that his efforts would yield a more favorable outcome; he was confident, despite all of the factors that would affect his results. 

That night, Osiris quickly fell asleep—satisfied with all that had occurred that day. He dreamt of Dirge and hunting expeditions, all of which he knew would happen soon.