Blacktail Deer Plateau i would beg to disagree, but begging disagrees with me
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Her face was tender as she took in the offer, shaking her head slightly. You've done more than enough. Given us a home. . . Jaes, I thought we'd have to keep looking for a long time. True, Aiolos had spoken well of Kukutux and her pack. But nothing was permanent, it seemed, and to be among family. . .

Family. Maegi sighed, expression shifting suddenly to one burdened by incalculable existential weight. Sakhmet, she began, her voice barely more than whisper. I need to tell you something. So you know, in case things turn for the worse. 

Not wanting to let that ominous statement hang for very long, she launched right in. The three dark children—they're not ours. Their mother came to the island, pregnant, alone. She wanted to be away from their father. But she died. . .and we had to rescue the pups from her belly.

Nausea rose up hard and fast, and she bit down a gag, trying not to think of that bloody day. She took a moment to compose herself, breathing deep, taking in the fresh, quiet air of the plateau, unsullied by any of the sounds and smells that had come with that experience.

Their father came to the island later, looking for her. But he's—he's Mou's brother, and Mou is a Redhawk, exiled from his family. It's a long, long story, Maegi said on a laugh, opening her eyes and shifting them upward in exasperation. Going back before I was even born. But suffice it to say that the Redhawks are my enemy, and his, too.

She looked back at Sakhmet. We haven't told him yet. I'm afraid. . .afraid that he'll think that we killed Niamh and took her children from her. Afraid that he'll take Blueberry, too. Afraid that he'll take it out on me. . .or worse, Mou.

Oh, Sakhmet. Child not of my blood and bone. Has all this come to pass because I ripped you from Parvati's side?
Messages In This Thread