Kappa

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
All Welcome 
The trader spent a short time in the lowlands gathering his bearings, searching for signs of a deer herd, and gradually moving towards the mountains. He began to hike the base of the range at a very early hour that morning, with the sun not even risen yet; by the time Kilgitsuk saw dawn, he had found himself a few hours along on his journey.

In a few more he would reach the village proper. All the while, the man listened to the sparrows chittering in the trees, and at one point startled a squirrel who started to shriek at him, only stopping once he'd passed by and showed obvious disinterest.

By the early evening he knew it was time to rest. Perhaps he would reach the village in the morning, and in that case Kilgitsuk felt he should bring a gift in an effort to barter for aid. He would not be so presumptuous to think this village would have hunters to spare; autumn was here, and he knew that meant winter was not far behind.
Morningsong
Sage*
130 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Simbelmyne found herself searching the foothills for signs of prey, tracking through the hilly woodlands along both sides of the borders to broaden her range. The mountain peeked through gaps in the trees, an ever vigilant protector, she thought; and a watchful eye for those who did not belong to the place.

Snow melted by evening on the Western and Southern slopes, allowing a little bit of cool water to trickle down and turn the fallen leaves to mulch. The scent of autumn arose as a hearty perfume on the crisp air. 

She paused when she caught the scent of another wolf in the area, and for a few moments she struggled to identify if he belonged with them or not. She found Moonspear’s pack scent smelled so wild in comparison to the scent of her homeland, so she could not determine on her own whether the stranger belonged here. She continued to roam along the borders, curious to see if he might draw closer and provide some evidence one way or another of his affinity with Moonspear.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The trader had nothing to offer in that moment. He had not brought a gift, and had left his last catch (three fat salmon) on the edge of Brecheliant with the child who did not like fish. All he had to offer was himself. To a certain degree Kilgitsuk was confident in that; he was an avid hunter and well known to the moon villages, even if he had not been this way in many months.

He lingered, lost in many thoughts.

There was a figure further up the mountain, at first perched in a spot he could glimpse through the ferns and the layered leaf-litter; then they moved, and he saw a pale, buttery flash of soft gold that fit better with a winter sun than this autumn atmosphere.

Kilgitsuk called out a low sound, probing the dark with his voice—checking to see if what he saw was real or merely his imagination. Either way it was a face he did not know.
Morningsong
Sage*
130 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She treaded warily toward him, hearing his questioning bark. Here and there she could catch glimpses of pale fur, but he remained posted, putting her at ease and convincing her he intended very little harm if he was simply a visitor. She nimbly skipped over fallen branches and wove past the clawing hands of spruce until she spotted him clearly; a man with a tough jaw, but calm eyes. Her tufted ears arose as she measured his expression for a moment, and in seeing little to fear, she drew closer, her tail lightly curled and waving. 

With fey glances, she kept an eye on him as she neared, without looking at him directly. She didn't feel comfortable coming within reach, but sniffed the air with curiosity regardless, and peeped "Peace be," to him.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The stranger was accepting of his presence, although seemed more at-ease when he stopped walking. Her greeting was met with a nod by Kilgitsuk and a follow up of, I greet you, which was a custom he'd picked up from Kukutux many days ago.

I am Kilgitsuk, a trader. I am known to Moonspear — or, to Sialuk, by the name Kigipigak. He did not like having to explain this and did so quickly. It felt as though his tongue grew heavy.

I come to ask for permission to hunt upon your land. I seek deer meat. He would not go in to detail about this quest of his, but he would follow up with another offer: I do this out of respect for your people, and I am willing to trade for permission. I am a well-known hunter to Sialuk and I am a warrior, so if there is something I could do to pay your people back, I am willing.

It was a lot to say! But he would let the words sit in the air so the stranger could ruminate over them. Perhaps they could not make such a decision, but he wanted the knowledge to be laid bare.
Morningsong
Sage*
130 Posts
Ooc — Jess
I greet you. It was like a passcode, one which allowed the wolves of Moonglow, Moontide and Moonspear to be known to one another before any official introduction was made. She liked it, though she kept her own traditional greeting at least for the time being as a way to remember those who had raised her. 

He spoke of names she recognized, and claimed himself as a welcome presence. His scent told her very little, though he explained himself quite thoroughly. She could discern the faint, metallic scent of blood on his breath; indicative of one who hunted and ate well. 

She considered his ask, all the while knowing it was not her decision to make. She appraised him with a friendly mien, though she wondered why he didn't just hunt out in the prairies. 

"I like this trade," She said, "But I am...new? I can not grant permission." She said. His story seemed believable enough, but she felt still insecure with her place within the pack, and couldn't jeopardize that for a friendly stranger. "I am Simbelmyne...Would you like me to call for Sialuk?"
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
I would love to see Sialuk, yes, he answered, smiling.

We are old friends. Herself, her mother — I lived with them for a time. I heard she is faring very well in her own village. He found himself rambling a touch now, which he did not intend.

A small chuff of laughter as he quieted, and sat, and waited. Will you wait with me?
Morningsong
Sage*
130 Posts
Ooc — Jess
If he was bluffing, he would be found out. His conviction led her to believe that his intentions were true, and he seemed to welcome @Sialuk's decision and thus, she was summoned by the villager. 

He elaborated on their ties, and Simbelmyne felt more at ease with his presence to know he had made himself a friend of Moonspear, and seemingly of Moonglow as well, given his ties to Kukutux. 

She had no intentions of leaving him on his own, still; it felt wrong to turn her back on a stranger at the borders. He seemed kindly enough, and she felt it well worth her time to come to know the men who tended these packs as well. She had been impressed thus far by their chivalry; Kilgitsuk was no exception. 

She smiled and blinked her long eyelashes at him, once, and sat down so that she might warm her paws by draping her long, feathery tail over them. 

"You are a deer hunter?" She asked, then. She knew Chakliux to be a seal-hunter, and wondered if Kilgitsuk had come searching for his favourite quarry as well.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
It appeared he had come to Moonspear at a time that Sialuk was unavailable; he did not know this for certain, but felt he had overstayed his welcome the longer it took to hear back. When the other wolf offered conversation to pass the time, Kilgitsuk saw how she did not want to rudely turn him away, but also he felt he had pulled this woman away from her work for too long already.

I am a hunter of many things. It appears for now, deer will not be among them! It is bad timing. I will try again some other time - perhaps in the winter? There should be migrating herds by then. This way he could disembark and carry on, and leave Simbelmyne feeling good about having done her job. She had intercepted him, they had waited and been amicable to one another.

Thank you for waiting with me. Perhaps if you see Sialuk, you could pass on a hello from me? I should continue on my travels.

He gave the woman a bow and then turned to go, tail waving.
Inupiaq. · Common.