Horizon Ridge The Bruises that've Faded Away
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
All Welcome 
Limber lithe limbs of deep dark brown. Like the wettest sands. He ran across the beach. Every step throwing sand behind him.

Golden eyes wide in his head, a fierce joy upon his face. The wind tangled its icy fingers in the sandy brown of his coat. His tail streaming behind him. Each step loud and in tune with the breath that slid from maw and nose.

Ocean salt curling against his fur leaving it heavier than it was. The foam curling around black lashes, lining it with tiny ice. He ran free, unburdened. A happiness in his heart for a small visit home. The sea she called him.
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
He drifted back toward Hoshor Plains, only to find it crawling with wolves hunting bison. Talisman crept up into the mountains and watched for a few days, wondering if he might find some scraps when they were done. Hunger pinched his belly.

He’d meant to contemplate his options and what exactly he wanted to do with his life, though as he pressed on in the endless search for food, Talis didn’t have much time for reflection. If he didn’t take care of his present needs, there would be no future.

The coyote made his way through the mountains. This time, when he smelled salt on the wind, he decided to pursue it. It didn’t smell like any food source he knew, though there was something about the scent that made his mouth water and his stomach rumble.

He crested a ridge and saw the ocean for the first time. Talis immediately dropped into a crouch. The sight of so much water immediately overwhelmed him. Surely it was crawling with otters…

Movement on the beach below drew his attention. His icy eyes watched as a wolf frolicked in the surf. There was no other word for the way the stranger moved. It made him think of @Winston. Talis caught himself smiling.
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Etienne had scented a large group of wolves. He had avoided them, mostly cause he never had liked large groups. And two cause he just didn't want bothered.

Etienne stopped for a minute. His breath coming frosted to splay over the ocean in icy mist. The sea she reared up to meet underbelly and legs as he waded into it. But he was mindful of her pull. Even in her calmness she was dangerous.

Perhaps that was why Anselm held his attention. The wildness in the man called forth the sea in Eti's blood. It made her sing.

Golden eyes closed and he lifted downy head to let the sea and sun dance in equal measure across his face.
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The stranger kept dancing in the waves and Talisman settled down to watch him. There was something inviting about the movements. He wondered if the wolf would mind some company. Talis hadn’t spoken to anyone in weeks.

But his hunger took precedence. He couldn’t help but notice various objects washing ashore. The dancing man didn’t seem to pay them much attention but Talis wondered if any of them were edible. It was impossible to tell from this distance.

Carefully, the hungry coyote picked his way down to the foot of the ridge. With equal caution, he set out toward the water. He gave the wolf a wide berth, in case he wasn’t the friendly sort, and kept an eye out for any otters.

But most of his attention was drawn to the items scattered on the wet sand. As he came closer, Talisman could smell the stench of meat. It wasn’t fresh but it was still food.
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
A sixth sense amd Etienne lifted his head, feet stilling. The items on the shore catching his eyes now. Some shells, some seafood way past its expiry date, driftwood all thr normal things.

A coyote materialized from the cliffs. Lean and hungry looking. Etienne’s heart went out to it. He saw where it was headed and chuffed. Legs moving him closer.

You don't be eatin' dat. If you t'inkin' bout it. Dat be not good. I be Etienne, but most call me Eti.

He stayed far enough away that the coyote didn't feel threatened. He knew some of his brethren could be cruel to them.
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
He sniffed his way toward something that looked at least somewhat familiar: a fish of some kind. Its skeleton was exposed but there was meat clinging to the head and tail. Talis couldn’t remember if he liked fish but preferences had no place here. He licked his lips and bent to eat.

Nose less than an inch from the fish head, his eyes flicked up to see the wolf much closer and standing still now. Talis warily raised his head, reddish ears pricking toward the sound of the stranger’s voice. He had never heard anything like his thick accent.

I’ve eaten worse, he called back, then dropped his muzzle and gobbled the moldering fish.
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Etienne froze as the coyote refused his advice. He winced knowing he would probably have a terrible stomache, possible sickness and if he was lucky he'd live through it. At least there wasn't a lot to the fish. But still.

Etienne huffed. moun fou

Eti shook his head and pelt agitated. Come wit' me. We get you good food. Foolish. Make your stomac'e.
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The stranger said something that sounded a bit like a curse, though Talisman didn’t catch it over the sound of his own ravenous chewing. He tore every scrap of flesh from the bones in a matter of a minute or two, then licked the taste of blood and brine from his pale chops.

The subsequent offer caught him by surprise. Of course, Talis wanted more food. If it was fresher, all the better. But why would this man—who didn’t even know his name—make such a generous offer?

Come with you where, exactly? he wondered.
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
His Granme's tongue came quicker to him as he aged. Perhaps a way to keep her with him. Though it had always fit him. That language that way.

Eti motioned with his sandy brown head. Dere me scrub grass over dis way. Rabbit, weasel sometimes, odder. You got get somet'ing good in stomac'.

Etienne turned the way he had motioned. Not waiting to see if the coyote came with or not. If he didn't a meal to take home to Anselm, Fiona.
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
He urged Talis to come along, then turned to move away. The coyote didn’t move, other than to scan all the bits and bobs sitting on the sand, just waiting to be eaten. He could probably fill his stomach.

But right before the wolf vanished from sight, he trotted after him. He was curious to see where he was going and what he might find there. Talis kept a careful distance, though he came close enough to be within earshot.

Eti, he recollected under his breath, short for Etienne. Louder, he said, I’m Talisman, but you can call me Talis. He paused for a few beats before asking, Not that I’m not grateful, but why do you want to help me?
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Limit Two 
The coyote didn't follow him at firat. Well then he had offered it was alright.

Eti turned to look over the coyote. Well Met, Talis.

He bent his nose to the grass and snuffed at the ground. Rabbit, weasel. He could find a meal for the coyote

A small smile. O' because everyone needs 'elp sometimes.
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
It seemed Etienne wanted to help him out of the kindness of his heart. Talisman thought that was nice, in theory, but he was a little suspicious. He wondered if his whole experience with Eset hadn’t soured him on wolves a little bit. That wasn’t fair.

I don’t really have anything to offer you in return, Talis made sure to tell him.
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Etienne was not like many of his counterparts. He was vastly different and love and kindness buried themselves deep in his bones. A want to help and heal.

Didn't ask for anyt'ing. I feed you. Maybe you can 'elp someone someday dat be needin' a helpin' 'paw.

He shifted body into hunters stance the white ermine ahead catching his attention. It brought to memory a hunt with Theo. Then he sprang forward. Herding the weasel towards the coyote.
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Talisman said nothing, weighing Etienne’s words as he watched him prepare to hunt. He hadn’t realized he was meant to be involved until the wolf sprang after some unseen prey and then began chasing what looked like a weasel in his direction.

Oh shit! he blurted, reminded of Zoug a little bit as he leaped toward the slinky mustelid.

It easily evaded him and disappeared down a burrow. Talis blinked, then looked over at the wolf, his rusty tail lashing to and fro at his failure. In his defense, he really hadn’t realized they were supposed to be tag-teaming.

I thought— he began, then said instead, You gotta give me some warning, man. I’m ready now, though, if you want to go again…
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Etienne should have done it on his own. But honestly he had felt a bit cheeky if he was honest. Feeling lighter than he had in recent days, but he should have told the poor guy.

Laughter rich like the sea swirled around Etienne as the man blurted and ran.

A crinkle around the brown mask of his eyes. No worries we will try again. Or I will just catc' one for you.

mwen dezole I s'ould have told you my plans.

Brown and sandy pelt turned back to the grass. Nose searching. This time another weasel, and a small limp. Perhaps thia onw would be easier.
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The sound of Etienne’s laughter made Talis’s ears quiver. He caught himself wondering what had put him in such a fine mood. He was a little envious, honestly. He’d been struggling with one thing or another for what felt like a long time…

When the wolf rustled up a second weasel, the hungry coyote pounced with a snap of his teeth. The body had barely fallen limp at his feet before he was tearing it open and eating it. It was gone nearly as fast as the half-rotted fish.

He looked up after he finished, licking his chops. He probably should’ve offered to share but Talisman couldn’t bring himself to regret it. He doubted Etienne minded too much, all things considered.

Thanks for the assist. It’s nice to feel full for the first time in… Talis lapsed into considering silence before shrugging and finishing, a while.
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
This time the coyote pounced and won. Etienne was actually a little put off by how quickly the starving beast ate it. But again, starving. So he decided to ignore it this time.

You be welcome. Would you like me to gat'er anot'er for you?

He shifted and look3d around. Bein' 'ungry is not a nice feelin'.

He remembered the few days before he really knew what he needed to do. When he had left home. And the she wolf that had helped him. What was her name? He couldn't remember. A fleeting memory.

You be travelin'
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
No, I’m actually kind of stuffed, Talis answered, swallowing a burp.

Etienne’s next question sounded more like a statement. Nonetheless, he nodded in reply. He’d tried to live with The Tribe, then he’d felt called to Muat-riya, only to be turned away. Now he was on his own again. He was beginning to wonder if he was destined to be a nomad his whole life.

I’ve always traveled. I recently tried living with some packs but it didn’t work out, he explained with a frown and a shrug. I could actually go back but I haven’t figured out what I want to do yet. The only thing I know for sure is I’d like to have some kids someday…

That would be kind of hard to do on his own, naturally. Talis had begun feeling resigned about that too. He still liked to think he had good genes but maybe he was wrong. Sure, he had a pretty face, but it sort of felt like there must be something wrong with him.
Rivenwood
Oak
Gentle doesn't mean weak
765 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Etienne had lived well with his family in the pack. It had only been grief that had chased him out. And now he had a new home. New pack mates potentially. And yet.

Etienne amiled. Thinking of hia younger siblings. Who he hadn't seen in sometime. They probably didn't even remeber him, but he remembered them.

Babies are sweet. I 'ope you can catc' dis dream, Talis. Truly.

Etienne had figured. Children were not in his future. Especially given where his interests lied. It wouldn't be biologically possible. Though his Granme's had figured out a way perhaps he could too.
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Yeah, he agreed halfheartedly, thanks, Etienne.

Now that his pressing need for a meal was satisfied, he supposed he could take some time to think about his next steps. The brief reminder of Zoug made him think in that direction and he peered toward the unseen lowlands. They must think he’d abandoned them. He had abandoned them.

And thanks again for the meal. I’ll let you get back to your merrymaking now.

The coyote offered a soft smile to the generous wolf, then began plodding in no particular direction. He would find someplace to rest a while, consider his options. He couldn’t see himself going back to Muat-riya but hadn’t @Sari mentioned that many wandered in and out of The Tribe? That they were always welcome?