Ocean's Breath Plateau Living hard cause dying's too easy
Hushed Willows
Singer
146 Posts
Ooc — xynien
All Welcome 
Hoping for Tybault to run into @Senmut but all welcome! <3
He often wondered what had happened on the island. Everett had lived there once, but no more. Tybault hadn't yet found the courage to ask him about it. Already there was so much to process; it felt he'd only just learned about his sister's new husband when the man disappeared, and now children, and another niece he'd never known the existence of and Lestan was gone and — yeah, a lot had happened while he was away.

It was funny in a twisted sort of way; his own life had been pretty boring in the interim. He'd met people here and there, but none who stuck around. Being here in Moontide was a familiar scene in a way, if only because he was so used to being surrounded by strangers. Tybault had settled right in. He'd chosen a spot among the tall grasses for his sleeping place, not far from @Reina but far enough to give them both a sense of privacy, however false.

He'd decided to try his luck among the rabbit trails this morning, nose low to the ground as he searched. Whatever he caught would go into Moontide's caches, or would perhaps be delivered to one of the expecting mothers. He would make himself useful while he was here.
Experimenting with my writing; style may vary a bit!
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
936 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
a small and stately woman had brought a new retinue of wolves to moontide. by the looks of things, they had not come to trade, and camped deeper in the plateau woodlands.

they did not attend sessions of trading and senmut did not seek them out. he found it pleasing that so many places were represented here, if only for a moment. 

the man ahead of him was hunting. the prince announced himself to the stranger with a low clearing of his throat, recognizing the newcomer as one of those who had recently arrived. "i am not very good at hunting, i'm afraid. but perhaps you will not be opposed to company."
Hushed Willows
Singer
146 Posts
Ooc — xynien
The man who spoke carried himself with pride. Tybault glanced over him briefly. Not very good at hunting. He might have laughed, but the man didn't seem to be joking.

Yeah, sure, He slowed to allow the red-furred stranger to join him. It's not my favorite, either, but I'm no healer. So here we are. Tybault wouldn't presume to walk another pack's borders and act as their guardian. It wasn't his place here. He thought of his siblings and nieces back in the mountains then, and hoped that they would be safe.

Tybault, He introduced after a moment, almost an afterthought. And you?
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
936 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
the other man was appealingly cowled in gold, something which befit a priest or healer. 

tybault. it suited his new companion. "i am senmut of akashingo," he introduced, foregoing his titles in a land where he did not rule. 

the breeze moved here upon the snow. senmut quieted his inner mind to listen.
Hushed Willows
Singer
146 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Senmut of Akashingo. Tybault bit back a laugh and tasted blood, though his next instinct was to feel suspicious. To find Senmut here was a stroke of luck almost too good to be true. Whatever followed surely wouldn't continue the theme.

Senmut of Akashingo, He repeated, halting in his tracks to look at the man more thoroughly. Funny story, I'm supposed to be looking for you. Next stop after Moontide. My sister, the leader of Hearthwood, sent me. Reverie.

Might as well get straight to the point, right? Reina wasn't here, but she'd insisted twice now that she was not a diplomat. So it would be up to him.

She wants Akashingo and Hearthwood to be allies, Tybault continued. But she's a little tied up with pups right now. He was sure she would be here otherwise, just for the sake of traveling if nothing else. But here he paused to see if Senmut would even entertain the notion.
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
936 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
reverie. he remembered her, slim and gilded, radiant with joy and the musicality shared between them for a moment. and now she was a mother again, presumably quite happy in her mountain bower.

"my congratulations and fond wishes for your sister," senmut said kindly, a true softness in his eyes.

suddenly, wildly, he wondered what it would be to experience fatherhood.

and shoved the thought aside. "i am amenable to such an alliance. what does hearthwood offer to a connection between us?"
Hushed Willows
Singer
146 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Tybault nodded, eased somewhat by the soft familiarity in Senmut's eyes. Then came the question he'd been dreading: what would Hearthwood give? Reina had been no help on the subject, and Tybault could only see one option beyond the establishment of trade. Something far more permanent. Reverie would either thank him or kill him. Possibly both.

We can offer resources from the mountains, herbs and furs and such. Shelter and healing to any of your members who pass through in need, He hesitated only a moment before adding, And a marriage to tie the packs together. To myself, or Reverie. My sister already has children to raise, but I don't. Fuck me, he thought, already feeling foolish.

In exchange, Hearthwood wants the same. Resources we can't find in our territory, and shelter for anyone who needs it, And obviously a sacrifice to this proposed political marriage. Tybault couldn't quite believe he'd volunteered himself. He didn't really think this would fall to Reverie; he'd made the dual offer only to avoid insulting Senmut or Akashingo one way or another, but surely whoever entered such a marriage would want children of their own. He couldn't volunteer Everett, who would definitely kill him. But it seemed appropriate to include at least one of their leaders.

He wasn't entirely unfamiliar with these arrangements. In The Gilded Sea it had been expected, almost, that when the time came they would marry for strength rather than love. For power. Of course, none of them had ever gotten that far. And now he had seen Reverie marry twice for love, both times failed. Tybault didn't think much of marriage as a whole — but it was a means to an end. One he hoped would appeal to Senmut.
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
936 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
the ease with which tybault entered negotiations marked him of the same noble blood which senmut had seen in his sister. he listened with genuine interest, nodding at the man's description of what was offered.

the glimpses of ocean between the wending trees took his gaze now, his breath, and for a time senmut did not speak. he was thinking of nazli, and how very much would never have politics come between them in such a matter. in this, and because of her, he did not consider himself for this marriage.

he considered racharra. "a young noblewoman of akashingo seeks a marriage. she wishes to expand our influence and that of her own line out into the flatlands. it would be important work, but your departure from hearthwood would be subject to the decisions of the nebet."

and with no children upon the near horizon for the greatwater aspirations, senmut would need more of an assurance from hearthwood. "your excursions would have the full support of royalty in two palaces. in return, until she is settled, akashingo will give succor and healing to your wolves in return for tribute. three deer, delivered once every two months."

after this, terms could be negotiated. this way, if tybault lost interest, racharra's wealth would only have grown, and if he remained, the exchanges between hearthwood and akashingo would deepen with the promise of noble children and the gifts to be given to reverie's throne, should this should come to pass.

"of course," senmut added with a light look, "your agreement is only the first step."