Firefly Glen alganaax̂snikas ayuglakus
Moonglow
Pi
my mind turns your life into folklore
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Private 
Nantahala and @Rodyn had gone to Firefly Glen to prepare for the hunt. While she wasn't sure what they were going to do, she was ready to help with whatever he needed to get done. She knew that there was still a lot of work to be done, and not a lot of time to do it. But, she wasn't worried—she was confident they'd be ready in time for everyone to gather. 

So ... she said, filling the comfortable silence that'd fallen between them. What're we doing today? 

It was a pleasant day—the sun was out, and it wasn't too hot or humid outside—and she was glad to be outside doing something. Whatever he said, she'd happily accept.
Moontide
Alpha*
-I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.-
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
Slowly the glen was shaping up. The hunts would be started as Autumn came upon them. And they were well prepared. They had done all they could and still more to be done. He was running tired between here and moontide and moongrove to help where he could there too. But it was nice to fill his time.

I was thinking we could hunt some turkeys today. I heard some in the underbrush while I was squaring out some of the sleeping places.

Turkeys were a bit slower. Their wing span hurt if they went after you. But if they surprised them he had faith she would be okay.
Interested in Moontide? Rodyn is always available for threads.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Oh, exciting! she chirped in reply. I've never hunted a turkey before! Truthfully, she was a little intimidated by turkeys—they were so big and ugly! But, despite this, she refused to allow her thoughts to overpower her. She knew that with some effort, she could bypass her feelings and be successful. 

Pushing aside her thoughts, she went into game-mode, and began to consider strategies. 

We could use the bushes to our advantage, she suggested, thinking of where he'd found them. We could hide in them, pop out, and catch them off guard?
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn had not hunted many. But he had known his fair share. More so in the pack lands of his former home. But Turkeys tasted good and despite that they were birds. They carried a lot of meat on their frames.

With turkeys we are probably going to want to sneak up on them. Their wings are hard and despite that they are fat, they are fast.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
They're fast?! she echoed with disbelief. Oh, gosh, okay, this is going to be interesting! Regardless, she knew it’d be a good time—even if she was unsure about them—and if they were successful, they’d be rewarded handsomely.

Alright, she said, taking a deep breath. I’m ready to go when you are.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
A soft chuckle. They are indeed. Not faster than you and I of course. But fast none the less.

He pressed his muzzle to her head in silent reassurance. They would do well. They would have furs and feathers and meat galore. They just needed to try and if they didn't win their quarry. It was okay. They would just try again.

Let's go.

He moved throughout the small area. Eyes on the place he had found them bedded down early morning. He could hear their gentle clucks and coos from his spot. He pressed downward towards the ground.

What do you see, smell, hear? He whispered.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
When he reassured her, she leaned into his touch, smiling as she gently poked his chin with her snout. Regardless of the outcome of the hunt, she was confident they'd have a good time, and that she would learn something new—taking down the turkey would just be an added bonus. 

She followed when he led, and they made their way through the glen. She was watchful as they walked, keeping an eye out for any signs of the turkeys. It didn't take long for her to smell them, and then to hear them, and her eyes lit up as she listened to their garbled jargon. 

I can smell and hear them, she said, looking in the direction from where they came. Sounds like there's a few of them—three, I think? They were still not in eyesight, at least from what she could see, so she didn't have a way to confirm how many of them there were. They're really chatty, she added with a laugh.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
A well placed nudge to the underside ofhis chin. Earned a small smile from the older hunter. he was glad to be teaching this one a thing or two. He liked to think he had taught his boys well, and had his darling daughter. Well. he quickly shook his head. Today was not a day for grief but lesson.

The Turkey's weren't hard to find. They never were. One of the more vocal birds. he had often heard them in the underbrush of his home. And even now. So noisy.

They would go around the bend and be able to see them and her estimate was true. There were three. a gobbler and two hens. The gobbler was a beast and he would make a good meal could they catch him.

They always are. One of the noisiest birds I've ever hunted.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
There were three! She'd been right! 

She watched with pride as the turkeys revealed themselves, and she wondered which one they'd take on. While the male was the obvious choice, she still looked to the females to see if there were any injuries, and when she found none, she turned to Rodyn with a chuckle as he noted how loud they were. 

None of them are injured, she noted. So ... should we go for the big guy? He'd feed a lot of wolves. She looked to his feathers then, marveling at how pretty they were, and added, We could probably trade his feathers for something nice.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
He watched as she puffed with pride and he had to hide a smile. It was adorable to teach. He thought perhaps in another life he would have made a good teacher. He enjoyed it enough at least. Perhaps it was simply because he loved the hunt himself.

No. We can yes. His feathers would also look nice in a little girls fur. He noted with a smile.

He studied the places and the movements and used his paw to point. See that small valley right there, between two trees. If one of us chases them. We maybe able to possible get more than one. You don't have to kill them right away. I prefer to do that. But sometimes you can injure two and dispatch them separately and quickly.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
She agreed with a smile and a nod—one of those feathers would look nice in her fur. I will wear one of his feathers when we take him down, she said. 

She looked to where he pointed, noting how open the field was. There'd be lots of room to chase them, little foliage for the turkeys to get lost in, and she was happy with the setup of the hunt. Still, there was something that had come to mind as he instructed her. 

How would I injure them both when I'm chasing them? she wondered, seeking clarification.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn knew that the moon wolves enjoyed pretty things. Even his own wife had worn feathers on a band a gift to her from him. She would look pretty and fierce.

Rodyn chuckled. Remember that I am here. We will work as a team. You chase them towards me. Try and catch one and I will try for the other and we will take two instead of one, yea? Feed twice as many.

The feathers of the turkeys would be nice trade items. Especially if added with trinkets. He was already thinking of ways to trade them.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Oh! Now she understood! Yeah, okay, that sounds great! Let's do it! 

She looked to him for further instruction and said, Ready when you are!
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
He chuckled. He supposed in a way he couldn't blame her. He had been allowing her to hunt with his verbal assistance but now she would learn with him.

Okay. You wait until I am in place in the clearing and then chase them towards me. Do not be afraid to mark them, bite them. Weaken them.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Got it, she said with a nod. I'll wait for your lead.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
(September 01, 2024, 12:35 PM)Nantahala Wrote: Got it, she said with a nod. I'll wait for your lead.

When you see me in position. Chase.

It wasn't hard to go around the cackling hens. And the loud gobbler. Rodyn was swiftly in place and flagged his tail, hoping Nantahala saw him.

And then he waited, paws sinking into the soil yellow eyes on the turkeys. Ready. Patient.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Nantahala sprang into action at Rodyn's signal, scattering the turkeys with a bark. She quickly spotted two of them moving together—the male and one of the females—leapt after them, and herded them towards him for the kill.

When they were in range for him to attack, Nantahala went for the female’s neck, and quickly killed the animal with a swift bite. She felt immense pride as the body crumbled under her weight—but she knew it wasn’t time to celebrate. Standing over the carcass, she licked the blood from her muzzle and looked to Rodyn to see whether or not he needed assistance with the larger bird.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
The girl was quick to action. Fierce pride lit up Rodyn's chest as he watched her start. She was shaping already to be a great hunter. And he was so excited for her.

Before he knew it the beast lay slain. And he worked against his own Tom. This one would feed a few and he relied on years of skill to chase and catch. A Qing to his forever stung. But he grappled and one. Smiling victorious.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Nantahala watched in amazement as Rodyn went after the the male, and took it down on his own. There were years of training that went into the capture—skills that’d take time and effort for her to hone—and she studied him as he hunted. He moved with an ease and confidence that she admired, and his drive held strength she could only dream of having. He was formidable, a force to be reckoned with, and a powerhouse—all of which she intended to be one day.

When he stood over his kill and looked her way, she jumped with excitement, and shouted, AYA! WE DID IT!!! Excitement coursed through her, consuming her entire being, and she felt as though she were on cloud nine. She scampered over to where he was, and looked down at the turkey before asking, Can I take one of his feathers?
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn tried and he had made good results. He had been a hunter all his life. It was something that he practiced and he preached and that he loved. There was nothing quite like the feeling of a successful hunt.

He lifted his nose and gave a soft yip of excitement and validation. They had indeed done it.

Sure you can.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Nantahala approached the turkey once she was given permission to, leaned down, plucked a feather from it, and tucked it into the fur on her shoulder. Then, thinking of Rodyn, she picked another, and offered it to him.

For you, she said, looking up at him as her tail began to wag.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
He watched with gentle gaze as she plucked a feather from the tom. He had to chuckle when she wound a feather in his own fur. He tilted his head to try and get a glimpse of it.

Thank you. Shall we take them back to caches?
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Once the feather was secure in his fur, she took a step back to admire her work—it complimented his fur well.

With that, once she’d agreed it was time to return, they took their kills and began the trek back home, dragging the bodies behind them. When they returned to Moonglow, they deposited their kills into the caches and went their separate ways.