Wheeling Gull Isle i will fly a yellow paper sun in your sky
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Private 

Clouds were a sort of novelty to her, still. She'd always kept to the thickest parts of Blackfeather Woods, where the trees blocked out the sky, only letting in the faintest amount of light. She'd not really seen the sky, properly, until they were in flight from the war, on their way to the Bypass. And even since then, when out in the open, she'd never had the time to appreciate the sky.

Until now. The girl sat on a ridge overlooking the beach, just at the edge of the forest, watching the clouds roll over the sun.

Here on the island, she was finally regaining the peace that had evaded her for so long. Maegi couldn't remember the last time she felt so at ease. Before the war, certainly. When everything had been fine, and she didn't have a care in the world. She'd expected that feeling to dissipate as she grew up, but now it was here anew, filling her body with warm contentment. She sighed happily, yawning.

There were things she still wanted. For Ramsay and Euron to be with her here, certainly. Kove, too, and Cicero, and Nyx. She missed the Temple, the Glen and the willow tree, the ravens and the quiet bubbling of Otter Creek.

But now she had the sky, the sun, the clouds--the ocean and all the creatures in it--the wolves of Undersea--and she was happy and healthy. It wasn't an equal replacement to all that she'd lost. . .but it would do, for now.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
A small smile broke his features at the familiar form. In his efforts to find her recently, he had kept bumping into everyone but her. It was nice to finally get to her. Hopefully she wouldn't mind his company for he had noted that she seemed to be alone.

He took in a deep breath before letting out a gentle chuff.

Rokig would then move to be closer to her, if she'd allow it. The view he received was rather beautiful. The ocean and the sky. He could see why she would pick to lounge at such a place. Beautiful. He murmured as his silver eyes stared out to the horizon. Isn't it? The Seawolf asked with a smile that still seemed a bit awkward for his features.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She turned around and smiled as she saw Rokig approaching, allowing him to sit near her. "Yeah, it is," Maegi responded, looking back out to the sea. "I was just thinking about it all. How different it is." She pointed her nose to the clouds, glancing at Rokig. "Like these," she added. "What do they do? What are they made of?"

Maegi laughed, feeling a little embarrassed, her gaze raking the ground. "I have a lot of questions," she murmured. "There's so much I don't know." And so much, perhaps, that she'd never know. It was frustrating to imagine that there was the unknowable. That, she supposed, was where her faith and lore came in--to fill in the gaps.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
His head nodded. Everything was so different here. Not in a bad way, though. The Seawolf had grown accustomed to the island he called home and could no longer imagine returning to the Abyss. Not that he had thought of returning prior to getting here.

He smiled at her questions. They bring rain sometimes - the dark ones, at least - so maybe water but...clouds are still there after a storm. It was a shot in the dark really. Sometimes they provided shade as well if they were big enough. Rokig then realized he had plenty of questions of his own.

You're still young, I'm sure you can find all the answers you want and then some. And if not...well, sometimes we don't need all the answers.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
That made sense. The sky did darken when the storms came, and it was blanketed gray with clouds on a rainy day, but blue and clear when the rain did not fall. She nodded, accepting his answer, though it was slightly incomplete. She appreciated him giving her any sort of information, regardless of how much it contained.

Maegi did disagree wholeheartedly with his last remark, and her eyes met his, her smile turning to something icier as she responded, "Really? I don't think so. Answers are important. I'd like the answers to everything, eventually." She thought of Nyx's reluctance to teach her new things, and bristled. She wasn't a child--she didn't need to be sheltered, anymore.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
His features fell flat as her look grew icy. The Seawolf wanted to quip back but bit his tongue instead. He wasn't going to fight with someone over something stupid as whether to get or not get answers. Rokig had his opinion and she obviously had hers. So all he gave was a shrug and looked back out at the waters, dismissing the topic. It would be obvious that something had brushed him wrong but he made no comment.

Have you seen the new children yet? He asked with hopes of shifting the tense air. Rokig knew their inky lead had likely only just popped the children out but wasn't Maegi a healer of sorts? Perhaps she had been there when it had happened.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She saw Rokig's face fall, and a feeling wholly unfamiliar to her bloomed within, suffusing her with--guilt? She felt bad, that she had made his mood drop. She'd never been one for empathy, as she'd been so sheltered through her childhood, but she realized now that words had power. And while that was a good thing, it could be bad, as well. Especially when it regarded a friend.

Maegi brushed her shoulder against his in silent apology, giving him a long, gentle stare before responding, "Not yet. I wanted--" She cut off, thinking of the woman who'd died. Blood everywhere, her pups abandoned. "When Mur and Fern were born, their mother died right in front of me. I was scared that would happen again. I don't want Coelacanth to die."

For once, she clued Rokig into her vulnerable side, the broken shell of a girl left behind by Skullchaser. "So I've been waiting until they're older. Have you seen them?"
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
It was hard to stay mad at her with the silent apology that one could only understand from a friend. His features softened slightly but he didn't dare speak, only returned her long gaze.

Her next words caused his ears to pin back. If allowed he would aim to push his nose into the scruff of her neck, a brief touch before respectfully pulling away again. I'm sorry you had to go through that. It wasn't you, though. It just happens sometimes. My own mother actually. He answered vaguely with a soft shrug of his shoulders. Rokig had never really talked about it before but now seemed as good of a time as ever.

I'm sure Coelacanth would love to see you, though. The extra paws might be nice. He said with a soft chuckle, thinking of their inky leader being overran by children. We can always visit together too.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Maegi shook her head, closing her eyes in contentment as Rokig nuzzled her. The wolves here were so much more tactile, and open with their affection, than in Blackfeather Woods. Part of her found it to be too much, but the other half--the half abandoned by Potema, spurned by her siblings, lost from her pack--relished it. Savored every touch.

"It's okay," she assured him, giving a shaky smile. "It's. . . I've seen wolves die, before. Nothing new. But. . .oh, I'm sorry about your mother," she added, hoping the sentiment wasn't too late. So little love she had for her own mother that she had forgotten the death of one might engender sorrow, rather than relief (or satisfaction).

The girl laughed softly as he mentioned the extra paws; she had enjoyed spending time with Mur and Fern, so maybe it was time to visit the Isle's newest set of pups. "I would like that, actually," Maegi responded, nodding. "It would be nice to see them."