Broken Antler Fen out of the danger and into the flames
223 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Joining 
Flicker panted heavily, she'd been running for a long, long time trying to shake the strong stench of bears. How many bears could there possibly be in one territory? Her head dipped as her pads burned, still cracked and raw from traveling to this land in the first place.

She continued walking, her ears swiveling in their familiar fashion; scouting for danger as she continued on towards the body of water she'd spotted. The rich, wet mossy ground cooled the knawing that throbbed up her legs from her pads. The sweet scents of the cedar and willow trees drifted towards her on the brisk, chill air. She lifted her head slightly as she reached the water's edge and scouted for her next meal before drinking. She dipped her paws into the lake and sighed, the cold sought after the pain and numbed it swiftly; albeit for a short time. She scented the air and frowned, nothing here was worth hunting, she needed something bigger. Maybe she could steal a kill from another lone wolf?

Flicker shook her head at the thought, the risk of running into a whole pack was too great is this land, and from the markers littered about it would not be wise to fathom the idea.
|  • |                                                                                                                        'The wild is wild, but she is feral.' -Mor  
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
After traveling through the forest, which had been much to her liking, Maegi ended up in a vast, marshy land, sweet-smelling and rich with the songs of frogs. She weaved her way through the place, avoiding the deeper puddles, her paws squishing through the bog. She ought to get home soon, but she was liking this small exploratory mission. It shook things up, a bit.

But even the new surroundings couldn't distract her from potential danger. Movement ahead brought her to a sudden halt, and she peered warily into the distance, eyes narrowed. One step, then another. She crept slowly toward the figure, which revealed itself to be a lone female wolf, looking apprehensive.

No packs claimed this land--she was as sure of that as she could be. So she was not intruding--what was this woman doing here, then? Just traveling through, like Maegi? The girl stopped a short distance away and stared, waiting for the stranger's response. No sound, no greeting--simply staring.
223 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Flicker gazed across the water with her head low, watching the frogs that occupied the lake create ripples and splashes. After a few moments, she felt...watched. The woman's head lifted with a slight jerk, her golden, blue flecked eyes scanning through the reeds until she caught a flash of white, stark against the swaying reeds. A small rise of panic rose inside her gut; was there more? Where were the rest? She retreated a step and another before giving a short bark that showed her alarm.

The lone wolf stared at the other female. Something was...off, about her. She realised how her fur had risen along her spine and her tail stood stiff behind her. Flicker rolled the muscles in her shoulders, forcing herself to relax in the presence of the other. She would not be afraid. 

"Hello," she called out, uncertainty laced and wavered her tone. She cursed herself silently for sounding weak. Pathetic. She stepped forward with a muddied, red paw - admitting to herself she was awaiting an attack by this point.
|  • |                                                                                                                        'The wild is wild, but she is feral.' -Mor  
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Fear. She relished it, knowing that her pale form and scarred face could outweigh the less fearsome aspects of her body--short stature, twisted paw, her youth. . . Maegi drew closer, still silent, the damaged side of her face smiling, the undamaged side expressionless. Finally, she stopped, and the other corner of her lips lifted, completing the grin.

"Hello," Maegi said, her tone friendly, if a bit wary. "What are you doing wandering through the swamp by yourself?" She nodded down at the woman's mud-flecked paws. "It's pretty messy. Wouldn't be my first choice of places to explore. Do you live here?"

It was a careful dance, a carefully-crafted image. Finally, growing out of the angst that had marked her youth, she was beginning to cool off.
223 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Her red ears lay flat against her head, their glossy shine reflecting the cold autumn rays. Her lips lifted slightly to reveal her slightly yellowed teeth, showing she wasn't just some new yearling looking for a new life. She was quite happy with hers before the disasters piled on disasters. 

Her question registered, but her expression and the gruesomely torn face did not help ease her concern. The jagged hole seemed to just widen more when the wolf...smiled? Flicker had heard of stories of dangerous beings living in swamps, creatures that dragged you into the water without a trace; with that, she thought of her answer with due caution.

"How would you know I'm alone?" She challenged, hoping to make it seem like she had friends within this new territory. "And," She continued, "Maybe I haven't explored a swamp before because I, in fact, don't live around hereabouts."  Her southern drawl edged her tone, emphasising her point. She studied what she hoped was a real, living, wolf for some time longer before prodding her with a question,  "Are you still of this world? Or some..wraith come to drag me into the depths?" As soon as the words were out it sounded stupid. Her irrational fear that had no support starting to overwhelm her usual cool, calm and collected self.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
"You're alone," Maegi replied with certainty in her tone, although inwardly she did concede that there was no real way of knowing. But bluster was bluster. . . "Why would you be afraid of me if you had friends around to protect you?" Solid reasoning, there. The woman's fearful guesswork made her laugh, the sound cold in the already cool fen.

"Neither? Both? I don't know," she joked, still smiling. "I did wake up this morning in this world, if that makes you feel better. This wasn't the wound that killed me," she added, twitching the ruined half of her lips in illustration. "I don't really feel like dragging anyone into the depths today, anyway."

She peered curiously at the stranger, still slowly blinking, as if in the throes of a poppy stupor. "Who are you? Where do you come from, if not 'hereabouts'?"
223 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Her eyes narrowed at the certainty in her tone; arrogance she concluded. Flicker frowned slightly but started to relax and, with the wolf's reason, decided that she may keep her talking for a while. Find out if she had indeed reached her destination. "Heh, you're smart." She complimented the female with no hint of her usual sarcasm, "But god, you seem to be arrogant as hell." She quipped, a smirk rising and Flicker realised it had been a long time since she'd had fun.

She added, "I'm glad I'm not going to meet a watery death too soon then. And my name is Flicker Vaidya, I traveled from the southern area." This time she truly smiled, glad for the company albeit with the oddest wolf she had met. So far at least so good, she didn't attack the wolf on sight for once. 'But you were afraid.' She told herself.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Arrogant. She'd never heard the term used to describe herself before, but she kind of liked it, in a way. Still, her face faded to something more impassive, not giving away the pleasure she felt. She gave a nod at the woman's answer--Flicker Vaidya--and filed it away for later use. She was more curious about this woman's origins.

"I'm Maegi Melonii," she replied, wondering if her surname would kindle a spark of recognition in Flicker. Even if it didn't, it was worth adding--and it felt good to do so, too. "I live in a forest to the east of here. Where are you traveling?" The ranks of Blackfeather were low; perhaps this woman could be persuaded to stick around. . .if she could prove faith and loyalty.
223 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Maegi Melonii. The name rolled about her mind as if looking for something to relate it to. She found nothing. How strange, that her names start with the same letter and a small smirk sprung to her face; her expressions were like an open book. She turned her head east to where the wolf mentioned as if she could see where the wolf resided.
'Snake.'
The word entered her mind uninvited, but that is what the wraith-like wolf seemed to her. What a strange day.
"I'm traveling to the Teekons, I suppose I must be nearby now, correct?" Flickers sense of direction was always at it's finest but she'd never wandered far from her pack's dens. Let alone across the entire land; but for this one place of paradise to settle the turbulent events of her life, it had to be worth it.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
"You're here," Maegi said succinctly, knowing that word was used to describe all of the lands she had been in, so far. What was beyond? Her heart yearned to find out; her crooked paw and hobbling gait were not so keen. "What are you looking for?"

A home? A family member or friend? What brought this woman from so far away that her destination was the whole of this land, rather than a specific territory? Maegi was suddenly intrigued, and peered at Flicker with a renewed interest.
223 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Her golden eyes flared as if they contained the fire that dwelled within her spirit. "Good." She almost purred, relief sagged her muscles. She monitored Maegi; friend or foe? That question still clouded her mind.  

"I'm looking for a new start. A new life." She replied to the re-interested wolf. Her eyes slowly assessed her leg, as if only just realising how damaged the wolf was. What had happened to her? Or, rather who dwelled within these lands that would do something so..atrocious to another. To mangle them so that they may not run? It was then, Flicker decided, that she would hunt who did this to the girl. 

"Who damaged you?"  She dared to venture, her eyes gleamed with a new hint of vengeance. A bold tone contrasted to the fearful, patheticness she'd before shown. 'A new start.' She repeated in her mind.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Now that was something. Maegi nodded smartly, liking the answer. Perhaps Blackfeather could be the fresh start she needed. Though she would have to get used to wraiths. . . Maegi wasn't the only ghost lurking behind the trees, there.

The question was for her, spoken in a new tone, different from before. It was the same as Vaati's first query to her, and she smiled, the expression not reaching her eyes. "Molag Bal," she hissed, her teeth slightly gritted. "I will kill him." This woman did not need to exact vengeance on her behalf, nor did Vaati. His life was hers and hers alone.

Now, back to that fresh start-- "Come home with me," she offered, warmth coming to her gaze once more. "We have plenty of room in the woods."
223 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
The reply came from a set anger and hatred, and realised that despite how much the wraith wanted to kill him...she would have a hard time doing it alone. But Flicked nodded gravely with understanding, because she had once had the same feelings. 

Home. That was certainly new for her. Throughout her travels she’d been invited to stay he and there, but it just wasn’t right. Here, though, it was different. She’d reached her destination and is one step closer to...happiness? 

‘It’s ok to be happy.’ Yakones words rung through her, making her heart ache so she let out a breath of a whimper. She was sure the cunning snake before her would notice. 

“I suppose I could hang around for a bit, I need a rest.” Flicker smiled warily, knowing that if she was part of a pack she was sure she’d be subjected to them as well. Were they all like the girl? What an interesting start.