Ocean's Breath Plateau i.xii : who was found dead on the phone
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
All Welcome 
{dogs}{part one, episode twelve}

Every step felt like one deeper into the Void. She was exhausted, the blood pounding in her ears--the blood clotting slowly on the shredded one--she stumbled along, a broken wraith. She followed the brown-hued man, still wondering whether she could trust him. But what did it matter anymore? Could she really trust anyone?

Could she really trust anyone other than herself not to break her heart?

They ended up on a wind-swept plateau, the landscape dotted liberally with trees, and the girl half-collapsed in one of these copses, panting. Hey. . . she called out weakly, trying to get his attention. Hey, wait. . .can we stop for a bit?

Maegi couldn't even do the fugitive thing right. She had grown tired within the first day. (In her defense, she had just been through some heavy shit.)

Just. . .just for a little bit, she pleaded, eyelids fluttering shut. Oh gods, was she going to faint? Just needa rest for a lil' bit, she slurred. It was like she had taken poppies; everything was hazy and swam around her. The world moved so much slower. . .

sleep, little one

Fugg off, Maegi retorted in a mumbled whisper, shaking her head.

set for 12/02 -- @Colt
Ghost
I still don't get it right sometimes · I just don't get it as wrong
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
gettin this on the ol threadlog so I don't forget

He led them the way that he knew best, westward, towards the sea.  The further they went, the less Colt felt like speaking, and he was glad that his guide wasn't much of a talker.  They walked mostly in silence, him glancing back every so often to make sure he wasn't leaving her behind.  She kept up, but didn't look particularly well.  Colt was no healer, but even he could see that.

Finally, she called for a stop, though Colt almost didn't hear with the sound of the wind across the flatland.  He turned to see her sitting, and as he got closer, could both see and hear that she was off.  "Hey, you alright?"  Sure didn't look like it, but again, Colt was no Raven.  There was no way he could help if something was wrong with her.  He didn't even remember what little Ceara had shown him of the garden.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She forced her eyes to stay open--it hurt. The muscles around them were so weary that they resisted much of her efforts, and she cast a narrow stare at Colt, less angry than exhausted. Tired, she said, a little louder than before. Just gotta rest for a little bit.

Maegi glanced ruefully down at her clubbed paw. Would she be so useless on trips if not for her disfigurement? She couldn't run, she couldn't travel well. Perhaps this was why she was a homebody, and the opinion part of it just stemmed from excuses she'd unconsciously made for herself. She had no choice but to lounge around home.

Sorry, she mumbled, stifling a yawn. I just. . .tired. J-just rest for a little bit.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Rest, yeah.  He was impatient, but seeing as she looked ready to keel over any minute, he didn't see as he had much choice.  Better a slow guide than a dead one.

Whatever you need, he said casually, though he wondered if Niamh was still on their trail.  If she was, he didn't have a whole lot to worry about, but this girl sure as hell did.  Would he fight off his mate as well to protect her? He wasn't sure.  Was she still his mate, or another ex? Also unsure.  

Colt sat down, just then realizing how tired his own legs were.  When you were moving it was easier to ignore, but now that he'd stopped, an ache that was becoming all to regular settled in.  Maybe a rest wasn't such a bad idea after all.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Thank you, she said, gratitude unmistakable in her voice, and she closed her eyes. For a moment or two, she thought the action would send her spiralling toward sleep. Oh, if only. . .

But no, her mind still raced. Everything she had heard about Mou bounced around between her ears, echoing over and over. Could it be that it was all a lie? How did one falsely earn that level of notoriety? It seemed that so many wolves were out to get him--and for what?

Maegi opened her eyes again and stared at the Redhawk man, who now looked as weary as she felt. Can you tell me who Mou is? she asked, her jaw firming. What he's done--why they hate him so much? She needed answers, and she needed them now.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt would have been fine to pass the break in silence, but she seemed keen on taking after a short time.  Her question didn't make a whole lot of sense to him, though.  She'd said that name a few times and it meant nothing to him. 

I don't know a Mou.  But if he's from Blackfeather, seems like that's enough reason for them to hate someone.  Bad blood there, though I don't think I know the whole story.  Something to do with some Redhawk a while back he knew, but he'd honestly forgotten at this point.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She squinted at him, confused, then shook her head. Mou. . .is what he calls himself now. The woman at the border called him Screech. He used to be a Redhawk. Maybe the man was totally unfamiliar with the situation, which didn't sit well with her. She needed answers.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Oh.  Colt had known Niamh was yelling about Screech, but things had been too chaotic for him to realize that Mou and Screech were one and the same.  So Screech had taken Fire?  The last of the compassion he might have once felt for the boy flickered and died.  Colt wouldn't make him answer for it personally; revenge wasn't something he chased.  But he wouldn't be sorry to hear he had, and if Maegi was honest about him being dead, seemed that time had come and gone.

He attacked one of ours.  She was pregnant, and his sister.  Colt looked at her.  She lost some of them because of it.  At least that's what Raven claimed, and the medic would know.  There were some crimes you just couldn't make up for, and when you crossed that line, there was no going back.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
That was information she knew already. Disturbing as it was, it was only one piece of the puzzle. She knew that a crime of that nature would be enough to make someone infamous, yet there seemed to be so much more to Mou than she knew. Maybe more than this man knew.

That's horrible, Maegi said, her words caught in her throat. She turned away, shaking her head. I had no idea. Maybe he did deserve to be hunted down and killed for his crimes.

But Maegi had done terrible things, too, and she loved Mou more than anything else. She would not let him die.

It was an accident with your sister, she said, glancing at the Redhawk. They ran into each other, Mou tried to calm her down--gave her some sort of plant. I don't know what. Nobody in Blackfeather was involved. It was Mou's mistake. So when Redhawks came looking for her, we helped her escape.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
When RedHawks came for her... Who had come? Did they know where she was? And what was worse... did they know and not tell him?  

Why not let her go home?  He asked, his voice tight with the implications this brought.  If they helped her to escape, then she should be safely on her way back to the plateau, not way out here near the coastline.  Something was wrong here, and as soon as he found her, he was going to get to the bottom of it.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She didn't like the implications one bit, and narrowed her eyes slightly. We made a deal with her, Maegi responded curtly. She's the one that offered. She told us that she'd call off the Redhawks, spare all but Mou, if we helped her. She escaped with us through the tunnels--far from where the Redhawks entered, I think. I never saw or heard them.

The Melonii straightened, slightly, giving the man a gimlet stare. The Redhawks mortally wounded my father, you know, she continued, every syllable halting and frozen. Was he really dead? Killed my great-uncle, too--my old mentor. Maybe they had blood on their paws, maybe not, but they were family. My family. And your family killed them. She sucked in a long breath. So you can see why I'd not be so keen to come face to face with your warriors.

She shook her head, crossing her paws. I treated your sister kindly, Maegi declared silently. Whatever devious picture you might have in your mind of me is wrong.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
He listened while she spoke, then continued on, letting loose with past events that he honestly didn't give much of a shit about.  Their packs had fought in the past, yeah, but he was about as interested in her hatred as he was Niamh and Towhee's right now.  His main preoccupation was why, if his sister had escaped, she hadn't come home.  Any Redhawk searches for her had ended a while ago.

I have no picture of you, he said honestly, shrugging.  I don't know you.  I just want to find her.  She should have let her go herself, when the RedHawks had been there.  But who knew.  Maybe his sister had decided to find a home elsewhere.  If that was the case, Colt wouldn't stop her... but his jaw clenched at the thought.  He'd given up family, friends, his own mate for this.  He couldn't go back now, and if he'd had to do that because Ceara had fucked off without letting them know she was alright, he wasn't sure he'd be keen on forgiving her for it.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
An image of Ramsay and Euron came suddenly to mind, and she swallowed, looking away. I want you to find her, too, she whispered. To have the reunion that she might never have. Hers was a pain that she wouldn't wish on her worst-- Aw, who was she kidding, she totally would like to see her worst enemies suffer like she had.

But not this man. Something told her that he'd lost enough; he didn't need to lose anyone else so soon. Especially not a sibling. We'll find her, Maegi said, quiet conviction in her voice. She was fine when I last saw her.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
It was nice to hear that someone aside from Raven did want him to find her.  He immediately knew the thought wasn't fair - despite her issues with her, Niamh had supported his search with admirable patience.  But she hadn't been able to set aside her differences in the end, and Colt had needed to make the call he had to make.

She wasn't just his sister.  She was his little sister.  If she was in trouble, then he was going to do everything he could to get her out of it.  Though honestly; he would have done nothing less for any of the rest of them.  Finley, Niamh, even Towhee.  He wondered if they figured that.

How long ago was that? he asked, hoping not too long a stretch.  Chances were low she would stay in unfamiliar territory long.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Maegi shrugged, glancing over at the Redhawks. Dunno. Maybe two moons? It's all been a blur. Tiny fragments of memories stuck out, but most of it was just. . .muddled. So much had happened that her brain was still trying to catch up. Perhaps one day, the horrors of what she'd been through would be fully processed. It would all hit her, all at once.

How terrible that moment would be.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
He nodded, and didn't have much to add after that.  They'd be moving again soon, and while Colt wasn't the most social right now, there was no dislike in his bearing around her.  Caution, and some distance, but he'd been an uncle for too long to resent a girl because someone else told him he should.  

fade here if you like!