Felltree Marsh I'm left looking at the glowing ends
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
The marsh was where she lurked the most.  She did not trust the coast, could not hunt there, but also did not want to stray far.  What if she left and they returned?

But there were none here.  She haunted the taiga, a gaunt spectre, and met no one.  For brief flashes she even missed the girl who she'd traveled with before, but with her, Rosalyn would not even had had the small mouthfuls she did get.  Those were too few and far between as it was.  When had she eaten last?

Perhaps this was for the best, she thought despondently as she sat upon a hillock, bog surrounding.  If her family was dead she would join them, and if not, they would perhaps never know better.  If they were far, then she would not find them anyway, and they were lost to her.

But it was nonsense, she knew as soon as she had it.  There was no part of her that was accustomed to accepting such as this, and slowly she rose.  She would seek more frogs, the creatures still here thankfully, if sparse.  They would not fill her, but they would sustain her, and that was all she could hope for.

Before she did, she let out a howl.  It was a habit she was growing accustomed to - as she traveled, she announced.  It did not matter that the wrong ears might hear it.  Only that the right ones might as well.  She would need to cut south, to search more soon.
and i'm wondering who could be writing this song?
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
once upon a time, he hadn't been allowed to go into the marsh. or, rather, it had never been that explicit—but mummy had been so worried when he'd wandered this way and had rushed to fetch him back. the squelching mud and dank atmosphere had never been to his liking, but. . .

what else was there to do? no one was in the willows. he'd checked. he was alone. mummy would not be coming to retrieve him.

so, overcome by curiosity, boredom and a deep-seated dread if he were to stay in the forest for much longer, cam wandered out into the mire, grimacing as his paws sank into the wet earth. he was much bigger than he'd been when he was here last, so the muck only went up to his ankles instead of, say, his belly. that didn't make it any less disgusting, in his humble opinion.

but all thoughts of mud and stink and filth vanished when he heard the howl, and followed the sound, which led him to a heavily-scarred brown woman. cam began to sidle toward her, ears pushed forward atop his head in silent query. he let out a bark, his voice hoarse with disuse, and cocked his chin, looking at the stranger.

was she looking for the wolves of elysium, too?
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Someone was approaching.  Rosalyn froze, and despite the low odds, her expectations lifted.  The small hope that burgeoned in her chest extinguished as though doused in a wave when she saw it was a stranger, not one of her own.  It was no fault of his own, but her gaze was stony, and there was no amicable nature to her own meeting.

But he was the first life she'd seen in days, and the first chance at information too.  Seeking by herself was getting her nowhere so far.  I'm looking for the wolves of Rusalka, she replied, without introduction or formality.  Her eyes searched him for any trace of recognition, but this time, she was prepared to be disappointed.  He looked young and lost; she had no desire to play guardian a second time.
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she didn't seem very friendly, but then, did she have to be? cam didn't know her; she didn't know him. not everyone in the world was as kind and welcoming as elysium, as ibis and okeanos, as lily. . . he'd learned that, at least, these past few moons. it still shook him every time.

rusalka? he echoed, and then shook his head slowly. sorry. he'd never heard that name before in his life. he didn't really know all that many packs, anyway, but that one was surely not on his radar. but was elysium on hers?

i'm looking for the wolves of elysium, cam mirrored her words, tail tucked low, submissive. she had no good reason to give him any information, but perhaps if he could humble himself, come off the harmless boy he really was, she would help him. they lived in the willows, but they're gone.

if she was here, wouldn't she know them? she had to know them. everyone around here should know them. at least, that was his logic on the matter.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Of course not.  She was about to ignore him and to dismiss him offhand; he was useless to her, was he not?  But then he asked about his own home, and something struck rememberance.

I come from Elysium, with gifts.....
Insincere? Maybe.  But stupid, yes.

The woman who had come to their borders offering aid.  It was funny how she forgot some, and then others she held.  She'd marked the pack a target, a future place to tread should Rusalka inevitably fall.  She hadn't considered that she might make the trip alone; and remaining there, alone, was not an option either.  But as she grew gaunt, and desperation filled her, she would take any hope she could of assistance.  If they were as accommodating as they had seemed from that meeting, perhaps she could find something of her home there.  Whether it be residing within or through their aid.

I may know where they were.  If they are not still there, perhaps I can help you to find a trail.  If they did not go far.  It would do her favors, maybe, to have one of their children to return to them.  Instantly her mood imperceptibly shifted... some warmth filled her gaze, a light sympathy for the boy.  He should come with her, and she would do her best to help him.  Of course she cared; he was a lost child, and she willing.  This was how she meant it to appear, in any event.
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
whatever unfriendliness she harbored, it was melting away—he saw it in her eyes, her face. in turn, it both put him at ease and made him even warier. as much as he wanted to trust her, cam was aware that not everyone could be trusted. still, he decided to play along for now. what other choice did he have?

where were they? he asked, ears shifting hesitantly. he took a step to the side, if only to free himself from the cold, sucking ground. standing in one place here only ensured that the chill stayed locked in your paws. cam was eager to get away from the marsh. i hope they didn't go far, he mumbled, half to himself.

what reason would they have to leave, anyway? cam was now even more confused than before, and the foulness of this place was dragging him into a bad mood. but he couldn't go back to the willows—those trees just made him sad, now. sad and lonely.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
They were south of here, yes? If she was right, the pack resided in the forests just south.  She'd never visited, but had passed, as the area was close enough to Ankyra to be of interest.  You say they left, but perhaps they left a sign.  It was a goal, and this was what her mind latched onto.  It hadn't occurred to her before to assess the surrounding packs, for Rusalka hadn't had any allies.  But if Erzulie did survive, she'd have taken the family inland.  She'd need a pack, and wherever they were, Rosalyn would join them.  Even if it meant passing the winter alone.

It cannot hurt to search. Could not hurt her at least.  She didn't know his thoughts or reluctance in returning.
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
he looked behind him, half in illustration, half in confusion. south. . .sure. that seemed right. all he knew was that the forest was close. the willows, yeah, he confirmed, swinging his head back 'round to stare at her. i didn't see any sign, but. . . he sighed, flicking his wiry tail as an invitation for her to follow him back to the woods.

cam sloshed along slowly until she caught up, giving her a sidelong glance if and when she drew alongside him. why is this place so. . .gross? he asked, making a face. he pulled up one paw and shook it slightly, primly, as if trying to rid himself of filth that would cling no matter what. it's cold, and wet, and smelly. are there other places like this?

if so, cam made a mental note to avoid them. he'd never be a swamp creature, that was for sure. too picky for that.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She dismissed his statement fairly immediately.  She'd assumed he checked, probably, when he had discovered them gone.  There was no way he'd done a thorough enough job, however, and she intended to have her own look.  If she found nothing then she was at least no worse off than now.

Watch where you step, and try to stick to the plants.  The water hides holes.  She responded, almost absently.  She wasn't sure how to answer his first question; sometimes places were terrible for no reason.  The second she could.

Other places, but none near here I've seen.  Her travels had taken her far, but along coasts such places were rare.  This water wasn't her choice either; at least the sand was warm.  How did you come to be alone?  He was young obviously.  Where were his parents?
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
his brow wrinkled at her advice, and he found himself compulsively looking down, right where he tread, watching each step as if navigating a minefield. well, he was, of a sort. plant to plant to plant—oh, he loathed stepping on the only beauty in this horrid place! still, better than getting caught in the mud. he supposed it was a fair trade-off.

cam was glad that there weren't a great deal of marshes nearby. perhaps he'd stick around, after all. if it was only this one to deal with, it wasn't so bad. at the woman's query, he let out a quiet puff of air through his nostrils, still staring at his paws. mummy died, and i ran away, he said succinctly, his voice wooden. matter-of-fact.

it was just life. it was what had happened. when i came back home, everyone else had left. cam shrugged, his puzzlement evident across his face and in the tension of his muscles. they were approaching the willows and he felt a growing unease overtaking him; he choked it back, like acrid bile, focusing only on. . .

step. step. step.

here. we lived here, cam explained, glancing first to his companion, then to the trees just ahead.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She didn't really pay close attention to if he heeded her advice.  She assumed he would keep up because he needed to, continuing the pace she'd set before of constant endurant pressing forward.  There was an urgency in her that, rather than fading with time, seemed to grow the longer she searched.  It ate at her silently.  Erzulie.

He ran and now had learned a hard lesson.  Seems most have left, she replied, feeling a familiar hopelessness.  It sounded as if the two were related, and were that the case, it meant her family would have found no shelter here.  This could be a dead end.

And it appeared it was.  Soundlessly she began to search when he confirmed the place where he lived, but as he'd said, she found no trace.  Whoever had lived here had left long enough ago that the trails had long since sank into the rain and earth.  How long ago did you run? she asked when she returned, either finding him or turning to find him following.
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
cam's mouth twisted uncertainly as he thought back. it wasn't as cold, he responded after a pause, unable to quantify the time passed any other way. everything was green. as opposed to now, where the leaves on many trees had gone shades of sunset, and even the willow boughs were yellowing. the earth was changing, and he wasn't sure if he liked it very much.

no sign? he asked—unnecessarily, for the search had obviously turned up nothing. she would have told him otherwise. suddenly despondent all over again, he sank onto his haunches, deep-set eyes swimming with hopelessness.

this was his fault. maybe they'd gone looking for him. if he hadn't run away, they would still be here. if he hadn't run away, they would all be together. the journey down the river had been so exhilarating; now, all he could do was sit and regret every second of it. so much for fun when it ruined the rest of your life later.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
A long while, then, and likely a long while missing.  Perhaps longer even than she.

None, she affirmed, without much sympathy but without lack either.  Tone less more than anything.  Seems we've both been left behind.  With this she stared distantly at the mountains, considering.  This dead end sat heavily on her, but she wasn't about to give up.  There had to be other packs, and when she found them, perhaps they would have heard word.  Someone had to have heard word.

I won't slow down for you, but I won't stop you from following either, Rosalyn added, finally turning to look straight at the boy.  I'm looking for my family first and foremost, but perhaps yours will turn up along the way.

She wasn't sure why she offered this, but the words left almost before she could stop them.  She would travel faster alone, but maybe if she wasn't, the nights wouldn't haunt her as much as they had.
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
left behind. it was a stark reality, one he found difficult to grapple with. cam wasn't mature enough to understand the concept of laying in a bed of your own making. he felt bereft, sour, irritated. . . but then, they could be out looking for him. that thought alone was enough to bring the guilt back in spades.

the woman announced her intentions to move on, to find her own family. he honestly didn't know what to do next. he could go back to neverwinter forest and look for ibis and oke and mal, but to be quite frank, he wasn't sure of the exact direction there. as for looking for the rest of his family—where to even start? it would be no more than a wild goose chase by a boy whose head was so often in the clouds.

okay, he agreed quietly, a little sullen, though not directed toward her. he shuffled his paws awkwardly, unsure of what to say. i'm cam, the boy offered, leaving the customary what's your name? unspoken; it was a given, if she had any manners at all. not like he had manners, really. but she must, yes?
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Cam.  It seemed he would accompany her, and for the first time, she truly looked at him.  Her one good eye appraised him, measuring, before she gave a response.  Rosalyn.

He left some to be desired.  He was young and timid, but some small measure of his surliness reminded her of her Reyes.  Her chest tightened and ached at the thought.  She hid the shift in expression, but her voice was perhaps somewhat softer when she stood and spoke again.

We'll check the coast one more time.  Then inland.  If any packs remain, they might have word.  It was barely a plan, but it was the best she knew to do.  These lands weren't unfamiliar to her, but as far as she knew, all the packs she'd once known were either gone or scattered to the wind.

wrap here and continue in our other/a new one?  Im stoked to be writing again w you ahhh! good thread <3
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
yes! so good to rp with you!! <3

rosalyn. cam was still stuck in the notion he'd concocted as a child that longer names were better than shorter ones. her parents had done well; he still rued his one-syllable, blunt moniker, and tested her name on his tongue, liking the feel of it. ro-sa-lyn.

he gave ro-sa-lyn a nod in agreement of her plan, and prepared himself to follow where she may lead.

what other choice did he have? besides, he kind of liked the woman.