Blacktail Deer Plateau Mama said, burn your biographies
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
All Welcome 
wishes for a @Rosalyn but aw!

There was a point during one of his curiosity-induced wanderings that he swore he saw a print in the snow; it did not belong to a wolf, nor any other predator, but appeared cloven-hoofed. It was faint, hardly there—a mere blink and it was gone, buried beneath a dusting of flurries, almost as if it never existed. He could only stand and stare at the now empty space, expression blank as his mind soared away—

—and was then grounded again by a low grumble from his stomach.

Shaking his head, Aningan stole one last, fleeting glance at the snow before turning and retracing his steps, steering himself towards the stream. There, he stared intently at the fish that floated leisurely beneath the icy surface, before using a paw to shatter a hole through to the water below. He then watched as the fish scattered, as still as a statue until they steadily began to float back over. Only then did he strike, jaws gaping wide and ears slicked back, seeking to clasp his maw around a scaled body—but alas, luck was not on his side as he came back up without a fish, just a face-full of freezing water.
Characters are more than welcome to mistake Aningan for a polar bear.
A snowy owl can also be noted hanging around with Aningan, usually in the trees or sky, unless stated otherwise in my posts.
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
:D

Rosalyn did not know if Erzulie had shared their intentions with Aningan, but she did not take it upon herself to do so.  The decision was not set, not until they knew where they wished to go, and too much was in the air for her to feel it necessary.  They could leave tomorrow... they could leave next winter. 

She hadn't spoken much to the boy since rejoining and had been gone much of the time of late.  Today she was set to head out again, this time to the north, when she passed the river and saw him fishing there.  

She saw no reason to stop, and had no desire to speak with him herself.  There was nothing she needed, so she continued on, pausing only to break the ice for a quick drink.  She'd leave him to his hunt undisturbed unless he stopped her himself.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Eyes of fire remained trained on the water below, trailing after each fish that drifted by; they were scattered, still spooked by his previous attempt, but gradually becoming bolder. If he could just wait it out for a little bit longer, he was certain he would be able to nab a fish—wasn’t this supposed to be an inherited skill? The uppik used to tell him all about how wolves of the north excelled at fishing, able to pluck the slippery creatures from the water with ease. Was he just not trying hard enough? Pointing his muzzle downwards, he focused on what he wanted to do and struck

When he pulled his head back out of the water, there was a fish clasped tightly between his jaws. Aningan immediately reversed away from the water’s edge, not wanting to risk dropping his catch. It was then that he heard a crack nearby and nearly dropped his fish as he whipped his head around to see what it was—or who, rather.

Roshuhleen!” he called out around his catch, overjoyed. Whether or not she responded, the boy bounded over and deposited the limp meal before her, a grin on his face and tail wagging a mile a minute. “I caught a fish,” he said, prouder than a peacock. “Are you trying to catch some, too?” Maybe he could help!
A snowy owl can also be noted hanging around with Aningan, usually in the trees or sky, unless stated otherwise in my posts.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She did not go unnoticed, and before she could slip away he was bounding towards her with almost childish energy.  Rosalyn was more than a little surprised; it was not unwelcome, just unwarranted.  She had neither seen this side of him nor knew him well enough to expect it.  How young was he, truly?  It reminded her of Reyes so suddenly that she was overcome by an unwelcome pang.

No, just having a drink before scouting, she replied once she'd swiftly recovered.  I was going to see if the herds had returned to the lowlands.

The lie slipped easily from her lips because it was a half truth.  It was not her entire purpose, but she would not drop developments on his head that were not decided.  These conversations could come later.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Seemed like fishing wasn’t on her agenda for the day, just scouting; he wasn’t too familiar with the latter, rarely leaving the confines of the plateau. And even when he did stray beyond the treeline, he never went far. “If you’re leaving, you should take this,” he said, motioning towards the fish. “You’ll need the energy.” He could just catch another one! With prey minimal, he didn’t want her to leave on an empty stomach.

“What is scouting like?” he asked a moment later, having a limited understanding of all it included. “Do you meet a lot of wolves?” It often seemed like she was able to communicate with others with hardly any trouble, so he wondered if her scouting excursions might be the reasoning behind that.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She gave him a long look, but for the first time, there was a little approval in it.  Thank you.  She'd take the offering, and didn't question it.  Food was too short to question much, and he seemed to be having some luck in the river.

He wanted to know about scouting, and this surprised her.  It seemed rare to find anyone in this part of the wilds who was not a frequent traveler... the packs were volatile and the spirits free. Some, at times.  It is a good way to know what is brewing beyond borders.  Which neighbors were friendly, which weren't, and how the prey ran.  You have not gone?
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Aningan was unable to fight off the smile that overtook his expression when the fish was accepted; he was proud of his catch, as well as seeing that it went towards someone who needed it. Plus, he was more at ease knowing that she had something to eat prior to leaving, uncertain of how the pickings were beyond their borders.

The boy was quiet as she spoke, listening intently to her answer; some wolves were met but, more so, it was a way to collect information. It made sense—and made him all the more curious. But, when a question was directed his way, he was confused. “I didn’t know I could go,” he admitted. “I thought I had to stay here, or close, to watch out for everyone.” Were leaders allowed to leave? He always thought that leaving was too big of a risk—it opened him up to the possibility of getting lost and, if he got lost, who could tell when he would ever return. He worried that what happened with Caiaphas would happen to him, too; he didn’t want to lose his way or his home.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
He wasn't necessarily wrong in his desire to stay close and defend.  Leadership who wandered too far tended to lose those who followed them, either to fate or to indifference.  It was hard to respect a ruler who was never home.

It showed a definite failing in his style, though, one she'd noticed since returning.  That is why leaders delegate, she answered.  In Ironsea she'd trusted Raptor and Erzulie while she was away, and Caiaphas had been assisted by Illidan while she wreaked chaos across the wilds.  As long as someone held down order and was there to welcome newcomers... Leaving is an opportunity to meet the neighbors, but also one to gain followers.  You can't always count on them to come to you.  So far they'd been lucky, but luck ran out.  It isn't good to be blind to those around you.  Ignored packs could bring trouble, especially if they saw a target who was unaware.

I would not recommend leaving for weeks on end, but days would not be remiss if you had a second to rely on.  She hadn't been meaning to open a conversation to advice, but Rosalyn had a tendency towards it when the dialogue led that way.  He was young and she didn't have anything actively against him; it was in her interests for him to succeed here.  Rusalka has a history of challenging, but ranks can be a gift you entrust.  She shrugged a shoulder.  She wasn't sold on the merits of a system that encouraged discord as much as theirs; could a captain ever truly trust a first mate who might only have eyes for their command?
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Leaving opened the door to a world of opportunities, it seemed. Not only was it a way to meet new people but, at times, it could also be a way to bring new faces into the pack—or to associate with those that called the nearby territories home, should he wish to do so. In fact, based on what she told him, it might be best for them if he did seek out meetings with the neighbours—neighbours that, in all honesty, he could not be sure if they had or not. “Do we have neighbours?” he asked next, a touch of concern in his voice. If they did, would that mean he wasn’t doing enough by not knowing about them? Actually, he knew they had at least one neighbour, in the mountains! He recalled the falling wolf and her claim to have a home—although, he never did get the name of the wolf or her home, so he didn’t really know how close they were. But he knew they were there, somewhere, and that was a start.

Rosalyn then spoke of seconds and ranks being given, rather than taken; for someone that could really only remember the challenges that kept Rusalka alive and no gifting of ranks, the thought amazed him. If he had a second, then he would be able to explore more of the territories surrounding their home—he could meet the neighbours and seek out those looking for a home, as well as make it known that they were there. The thought was more than appealing, and he was fairly certain he knew who could be his second—“Do you want to be my second?” he asked. She seemed to know a lot about this type of stuff, so who could be better suited than her? Between her and Erzulie, Aningan was convinced that the pair knew everything, and having even half of that knowledge would to wonders.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
His question and his eagerness despite a complete lack of knowledge both amused and frustrated her.  Too young and inexperienced to be leading, but no one wiser seemed to want it and she herself refused to take it.  A few, but none close enough to worry about.  She thought of the Dragedan woman they'd met close by, and the pack Nieve and her wife had visited.  They'd seemed friendly enough, apparently.  And none that wish us harm.  Not this time.

She'd walked into this one.  Of course he would ask her.  Her knee jerk reaction was to say no, but she paused.  There was an opportunity here, in taking this pack and making it more a place of home.  Even if it was not on the plateau that they did this.  Let me talk with Erzulie, Rosalyn replied.  She'd been left out on far too many of these decisions.  When I do, I'll let you know.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Rosalyn confirmed that yes, they did have neighbours; this made him wonder if he was doing something wrong, to have not known about them sooner—even the mountainous wolf, whose pack he assumed to be near to them, was met far later than he assumed was acceptable. Thankfully, however, they were kind enough—or neutral, at the very least. They did not wish to inflict any harm upon Rusalka, much to his relief. Still, he knew now that he should meet with them each at some point, even if only to ensure neutrality remained.

As for his question, his offer, an answer would have to wait. “Okay,” he said, nodding; if she needed time to speak with Erzulie first, then she could have it. He did not doubt that the decision may not be an easy one to make. It was with that in mind that he said, “I’ll wait for your answer,” and then bid her farewell; if time was needed, then he would give her space along with it, lest he seems impatient.