Lion Head Mesa And scratch the slate
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
All Welcome 
The sun would set soon and the mesa would become considerably colder, so the time for bathing was now. Sayf had finished helping the priest early tonight and decided it was time to clean his coat so it would be soft and fresh for when he returned the pharaoh that evening. 

The hesbut braced himself for the cold water and then lowered into it, laying down so that the only thing visible was his head. The coyote stayed under water for as long as he could stand it, then he lifted up and trotted back to land. 

He shook as much water from his coat as he could, and then took a seat. He would sit in the quiet and use his teeth to brush out his coat until it was dry.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She'd slept deeply for a long while. Dreaming of nothing and everything at once. Awoke to food, drink, and took heartily of both. For the first time in a long while, she felt cared for. A contentment began to settle in her bones, but it was an uneasy peace; she was accustomed to waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Maegi woke, stretching, and meandered to fresh water. Her ears caught the distant sound of its current and guided her there, where a grayscale man was grooming himself, still slightly gleaming.

She murmured a wordless greeting and went into the water herself, a shiver rippling over her body at the chill. The salt and road-dust billowed out from her form in a cloud, and she instantly felt cleaner, even by just soaking. She closed her ice, letting the ice embrace her for a moment.

Then opened them, and her gaze lighted on the man. This is a wonderful place, she mused, her voice soft, detached.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
Sayf was not alone for long, not that he minded. A woman arrived and walked into the wellspring—likely their new guest. The hebsut had not met her yet, but nothing stayed a secret in Akashingo, especially if one of the fellahin knew. 

He stood as she spoke and made his way back into the water. Allow me to make it even better for you, my lady, he said softly as he stopped near her, waiting to go closer for now. Guests of Akashingo do not have to bathe themselves. If desired, one of the fellahin can do that for you. A sweet smile spread across his handsome face and he dipped his head respectfully. If you would like, I can bathe you right now and you can just relax. His gaze lifted to hers, asking for permission to come closer.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Her eyes widened, slowly but definitely, as he spoke. In all her life, had she been so treated? But her muscles still ached, her body exhausted, and the effort to do anything more than let the grime dissipate in the water seemed herculean.

That. . .sounds nice, Maegi murmured, allowing him to draw near. It was quiet here; even her whispers seemed to echo off the nearest walls, surrounding her in a gentle susurrus. 

Her head didn't hurt so much, and even Sheogorath was silent. There was a magic to this place; Pharaoh had chosen it well.

What are the fellahin? she asked, gaze following the man as he moved. So much about her host and his culture she did not know, but was inclined to learn. Not quite curious, or eager, as of yet. Eagerness, it seemed, had died long ago.

But all she knew were questions.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
The hebsut moved close the instant she allowed it, quickly getting to work on her coat. He would gently and thoroughly comb his teeth through her fur until each section stopped turning the water brown.

The only time he stopped his task was to answer her question. The fellahin are here to serve and care for all of Akashingo and its guests, he explained. I am Sayf, a hebsut of Akashingo. I oversee and train the fellahin if needed. Sayf smiled. And for as long as you desire, I can attend to any of your needs. He could see the exhaustion in her face, just as he could tell she relaxed as soon as he took over cleaning her fur. Satisfaction and warmth washed over him at the woman's reaction.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She couldn't grasp the concept. She supposed everyone had their place, and if this was Akashingo's culture. . .she would not say no. Her eyes closed again, relaxing against the touch of this fellahin. Slowly, as he worked, her fur gleamed its true moonlight silver.

Did you choose to be a fellahin? Maegi asked, but her voice was barely audible, the words slightly slurred. Or was it. . .chosen for you?

She had almost said 'forced upon you,' but that seemed extreme. Besides, she didn't want to call into question the rituals of a place that had so graciously taken her in. She would make it worth their while in time, she thought. Didn't know how, but she'd think of it in time.

Right after the nap that would surely follow this bath. . .she was drifting, eyelids drooping.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
I was born into this life, he answered. It had been some time since he spoke of his past; he preferred to pretend like nothing existed before he found Akashingo. I serve the Pharaoh willingly and joyfully. 

But the lovely woman seemed to be losing her battle against the exhaustion that still gripped her body. Sayf moved to offer his body as support. My lady, let me take you back to your quarters. The pelts have been changed out and I will continue to clean and dry your fur. She could fall asleep there with no worries.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
It seemed. . .contrived, but she didn't question further. And at the continuation of their conversation, she nodded, following Sayf out of the shallows upon dry land, and then back into her shadowed quarters.

Are you happy? Maegi asked, but her voice was soft, reticent. It bounced upon the walls of the jagged-rock mesa, and she winced slightly, hoping others did not hear.

She did not want to bring trouble to this young man.

She drew closer, shoulders hunched. Are you. . .free? she whispered, even more silent.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
When she had settled into bed, Sayf took a spot right next to her so he could work on grooming the water from her fur. 

She wanted to know if he was happy and if he was free. Sayf smiled against her and pulled up to meet her gaze. Yes, I am happy, he assured her. I enjoy bringing peace and comfort to others. I feel as though it is my gift to the world. Hopefully that would alleviate any reservations she had about being here with him and allowing him to care for her. 

And I am mostly free, the hebsut told her honestly. The pharaoh is not someone you want to anger. But I love him and I don't wish to do anything that would upset him. So whatever the state of his freedom, he didn't much care as long as the golden god was pleased with him. 

Are you happy? he asked quietly, moving to the fur of her chest and getting to work there.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
Happy, but not free. He danced around the latter subject, but it was clear. 

Maegi had always resented being put into a box. She'd champed at the bit early, spread her wings before they were fully fledged. Strained against each and every constraint and shackle placed against her. Pushed away others and curled inward. Not anything that would make a good fellahin. 

Free, but not happy.

I've never been happy, she replied simply. It wasn't true, not really. But her life, taken as an aggregate. . .

But I'm here.

She shrugged, feeling the breeze lift the drying hairs upon her nape.
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
She had never been happy. Sayf felt for the woman, but he knew there was nothing he could offer that would make her happy in her soul; if there was, he would gladly give it to her. 

He was quiet a moment as he continued to work on her fur. He paused and looked up to meet her gaze. I can make you happy while you are here, he offered softly. It was a fleeting happiness, one that would only last for the moments they were together. Or at least help you forget.
Ghost
1,738 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Missionary
Master Toxicologist
She looked at him, a rueful smile blooming over her muzzle. You can try, she whispered, drifting upon the edge of slumber. She placed her head upon his shoulder, closing her eyes. I think you could make me happy. But I'll never forget.

His touch was so soft.

Had she ever been pampered like this?

Perhaps by Mou, in their more tender moments. Maybe someone long ago, a wolf who'd taken pity upon the neglected trio. Coelacanth, or Venninne. . .

This was different. This she could remember. And she fell asleep amid Sayf's ministrations, happy to believe, at least for the moment, that everything was going to be okay.

fade in favor of our current thread? <3
230 Posts
Ooc — hela
sounds good!

He would settle for making her happy. Sayf knew forgetting was not always very easy. Besides, his main goal was to was to lift her spirits and make her feel cared for; it seemed he was achieving that so far because Maegi fell asleep while he showered her with affection.

The hebsut would stay for a while and keep the lady warm while her fur dried, then he would leave her to sleep; hopefully it was a peaceful one.