Ocean's Breath Plateau and he burns through diversions like a meteor
Morningsong
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
487 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
Private 
For @Heph and/or @Rodyn; other tags for reference. Let me know if I should make any edits!

With his hip almost completely healed, Dutch felt he was in the best shape of his life. He'd never hunted more than he did these days, feeding a whole pack rather than just himself and Valiant. He wanted to see @Eira and @Nephele fat before the worst storms if they were going to bring new life to the mountain, and he thought the rest of them could stand to gain some weight as well.

He left @Fallen Sun in charge, although he might have asked @Aditya instead, if he'd only been able to find the man. @Sulukinak was invited to accompany him, but he did not insist upon it.

He carried with him a half-frozen parcel of fat and liver, and on arrival, he went straight to the lodge of Chakliux. The meat was left with @Marina and @Tullik, as he had heard the songs of the seal hunter men and knew they were away. In this, it felt good to do his part. But he remained with them only a little while before carrying on. He moved away from company, toward a more neutral part of the territory, and sang respectfully for its leadership.
Morningsong
First Fang*
i walk my days on a wire
173 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
she was happy to roam, and would have followed dutch even if he hadn't asked her to. the girl needed to get away from the claustrophobia of the glacier; she wove a path alongside dutch and helped where she could.

by the time they neared the seaside village her spirits had brightened. sulukinak inspected the various scents in the grass, rolled in a patch of snow which smelled strongly familiar, and rejoined dutch as the village edge came in to view.

whatever exuberance she held as she chased him came to an end quickly, as she assumed her usual prowl and settled alongside him, watching for signs of others. they stopped by the lodge of the seal hunter, although sulukinak remained aloof as two women greeted them; and then dutch called for others, and sulukinak felt the fur of her spine raise.
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
In the time following the hunt it became clear that the moment at the women's circle that she had missed had been a stone's throw in a pond which continued to ripple out. She wished she better understood what had compelled the leader of Moonsong now Morningsong to leave and with her husband and possible with children, but she could not. All things changed and yet she admittedly had not anticipated the possibility of it.

When Dutch called she answered, her steps moving more easily now almost fully recovered. It would not be long before she once again felt the urge to travel to the south, perhaps the southeast. She would not have to gather a groom price, but perhaps there were interesting things to trade there. A pair of wolves. She nodded at both of them one at a time. One whose name escaped her and one she had met only once and then in passing. "Dutch. It is good to see you. How are you? And it's good to meet you. My name is Heph."
Morningsong
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
487 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
The panther was pleased to see Heph looking well. His tail wagged in greeting, and he introduced his shadow girl with a simple, "Sulukinak," when Heph addressed her.

He stepped forward and touched his nose briefly to the ground in a show of respect. "I greet you, Heph," he said in the way of the sunshine people, even knowing that Heph was not born to them. "I am doing well — healing, as I hear you are, too."

He searched her for wounds, although he tried to be discreet about it.

"How are you? How fares Moontide?" he asked her. "I did not bring much with me today — just meat for the lodge of Chakliux. But tell me what you have need of, and next time, I will come bearing gifts."

He smiled at her, weary but earnest.
Morningsong
First Fang*
i walk my days on a wire
173 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
when the woman appeared sulukinak did not rise the way the man did. she watched instead. her observations taught her little, but she did recognize the woman from the big hunt and the circle, which eased some cautious energy within her.

dutch bowed to her. sulukinak was on her feet now and she drew closer to the pair but did not bow herself, or speak any greeting. she was listening to the wind in the trees and was more invested in her surroundings.
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
She was glad to hear that the hunt had not caused any lasting harm, physical at least. The other effects would continue to be felt. "I'm glad, I hope the rest of your recovery is smooth." Morningsong had its own healers and she was sure that Moonglow was closer so she doubted there was much she could offer to help.

"Moontide is well as am I. Rolayne is still in Moonspear but we welcomed Raindrop here and a healer as well. Sometime soon someone from Akashingo, a wolf named @Senmut said he would come to trade inlaid stone and lambskin from the south and would welcome what goods we have to trade. If you would like to be a part of that it would help to establish ties." She offered, because Moontide had been fortunate that winter, but a way to make a favorable impression on the wolves of Akashingo would serve both packs in the future.
Morningsong
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
487 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
Although Dutch did not know who Rolayne was, he dutifully committed this information to memory. The name of Raindrop was more familiar, as Valiant had mentioned her during their last conversation. Senmut was another unfamiliar name, however — and the information that followed was intriguing.

"I do not know what we have that they would need in the south," he admitted, a furrow in his brow. Moontide had fish that could be dried and traded. Dutch supposed he could do the same with caribou, and perhaps the hide of one would be worthwhile as well. He was open to other suggestions, but, "I will think of something," he promised with a wag of his tail. "In fact, I have been thinking recently," he went on, excitement shining in his eyes.

The hunt had given him the idea for it — though it was only one borrow from his time in the desert, to be fair.

"I was in the south for a time, a number of years ago, now," he said to Heph. "They held a festival to celebrate the return of the rains. Peoples from all throughout the desert would come together to share stories and songs. They brought food and other wares to trade on their market night. I saw many things I have not seen before or since."

He remembered it fondly — it was still one of the more exciting things he'd ever been part of.

"I think we should do the same here," he told her. "Near summer's end. I have been thinking that the lake at the end of Hoshor Plains would be a good place for so many to meet."
Morningsong
First Fang*
i walk my days on a wire
173 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
while the two spoke, sulukinak's focus drew her away from them. she kept close enough to hear her name should she be called, but she was also more interested in the sights and smells around them and less so in the politics between packs, or in trade deals, which she did not wholly understand.

before long she'd found her way farther than intended, and was nearer to the lodge of the seal hunters, which was a fine distraction from the more serious tone of dutch and the woman. sulukinak was greeted by the wives of the seal hunter, who tried to welcome her inside, but she would not go and could be seen awkwardly standing by the entrance to the lodge — and then being coaxed with food, or some such thing, but she did not linger long there and hastened to the freedom outside, where she milled about for a bit.

a sound and a scent caught her attention after that, and with some nervous energy propelling her, sulukinak moseyed around the outer limits of the lodge with her attention on the earth.

Sorry to hold this up! Skip me from here on out!
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
At the mention of a market and a gathering Heph's ears perked. She would tell @Rodyn and have to hear his words on it, but she felt that he would most likely see it as a good opportunity for Moontide (a pack of many traders) and she could at least offer her own help freely. "That sounds like a wonderful thing. I'm sure those in Moontide would appreciate a time to gather as well as a time to swap stories or things that they have found. If you have need of help then let us know, I am always happy to scout out places or send invitations. And I have been by the lake before, its waters by summers end are a perfect place to gather, cool against the heat." Her tone took on an excited cant as she thought of it, already the travel to the south. Perhaps to those other packs that Rodyn had mentioned as well that she had not travelled to for the hunt.
Morningsong
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
487 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
We can probably close this up soon!
The panther beamed, pleased to have his idea met with such enthusiasm. It was good to have the approval of another not just on the concept, but on his proposed venue as well.

"Ah, Heph," he told her, laughing, "I can see we will get on just fine! I would be honored to accept such aid; I will tell you at once when more details have been worked out."
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
His laughter was rich and set her at ease, she felt they would get along well though she was predisposed to a favorable opinion since it appeared that Chakliux was on good terms with him as well. "I'm at your service." With plans for the future underway she returned to the present. "Don't let me keep you from visiting Chakliux, but if you would like a tour of the territory or a meal I'm happy to show you around?" Though Dutch was likely familiar with Moontide she was unsure if his companion was as well.