Dragoncrest Cliffs Spindrift
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,991 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She had successfully reduced the fowl into smaller morsels, which she began to nibble. Meerkat didn’t feel hungry, though she would absolutely not waste this gift. While he had been away, she would’ve given so much just for Njord to bring her a meal like this. This bird not only filled her stomach but her heart.

When her husband suggested they throw a going away party for Mercy, she swallowed the latest mouthful of grouse down a thickened throat. She loved the idea, of course, and Njord made a solid point about feeding her. But that also served to remind Meerkat of the hardships their daughter would face out there on her own.

Yes, that’s a wonderful idea, she said in a small voice, looking away before finding Njord’s eye and making yet another confession. I keep thinking about asking one of her brothers to go with her… but I don’t want them to go, either. From the day they were born, I told myself to raise them to leave the nest. I really tried to bring them up to be able to handle the world. And I told myself to be ready. But I’m not. I’m not ready.

A single tear slipped free, running down her muzzle. Meerkat dabbed at it with a sigh, then smiled despite the heaviness on her heart.

But she is. That’s the thing. I—we did it. We raised our children to feel knowledgeable and prepared about the world, to venture into it confidently. Even though I’m kind of kicking myself for being a bit too successful at it, it’s comforting to know that Mercy is as prepared as she possibly can be.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Messages In This Thread
Spindrift - by Njord - October 08, 2022, 09:20 AM
RE: Spindrift - by Meerkat - October 08, 2022, 02:10 PM
RE: Spindrift - by Njord - October 09, 2022, 09:46 AM
RE: Spindrift - by Meerkat - October 09, 2022, 03:27 PM
RE: Spindrift - by Njord - October 09, 2022, 04:44 PM
RE: Spindrift - by Meerkat - October 09, 2022, 07:16 PM
RE: Spindrift - by Njord - October 09, 2022, 07:57 PM
RE: Spindrift - by Meerkat - October 09, 2022, 11:04 PM
RE: Spindrift - by Njord - October 10, 2022, 08:42 AM
RE: Spindrift - by Meerkat - October 10, 2022, 09:41 AM
RE: Spindrift - by Njord - October 10, 2022, 10:01 PM