Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,942 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
She thought Njord’s return might temper @Mercy’s wanderlust. It did, for a few days. But this morning, the young woman caught her off guard by saying she planned to do some exploring today. Perhaps sensing Meerkat’s hesitation, Mercy asked her mother to come with her this time. Oh, how she wanted to take her up on that! But she couldn’t bring herself to leave the girl’s da just yet.

You go, the Laramite said, petting her daughter’s shoulder. Just take someone with you, please, she reminded, and be back by nightfall, okay? Enjoy yourself. She saw Mercy off with a lick to her forehead and a playful nudge to her hip.

Her husband was asleep in their makeshift bed and Meerkat didn’t dare disturb his rest. Instead, she puttered around the general area, humming under her breath as she gathered up fresh bedding. She rustled up a rat’s nest while she was at it, quickly slaying the rodent and digging a shallow pit to bury it so Njord could eat it later.

Thirsty from her efforts, she strayed a little further afield, fetching a drink not far from the roja den.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
318 Posts
Ooc —
she was not a sea-widow anymore it seemed.

njord had returned.

jorunn felt peace roll through her for the woman she called friend. with her she carried the remnants of a seashore hunt. fish, rich and fatty. an offering to the reunited family.

but here was the very woman! without her husband. jorunn did not linger on the thought. perhaps his return had exhausted him, perhaps he wrangled children today. regardless she offered a warm rumble, whipping her tail behind her.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,942 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
The water was so cold, it made her stomach ache a little. Meerkat sat beside the flow, giving it a chance to settle, when Jorunn appeared upstream. The Laramite straightened her shoulders a little, grinning as she watched the she-wolf venture closer with a delicious-looking fish in her mouth.

Jorunn, hello! How are you today? Meerkat asked, motioning her closer and patting the patch of grassy dirt beside her.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
318 Posts
Ooc —
she approached, infected by the high spirits of the sea mother. politely she positioned her gift at the paws of meerkat.

i had come to ask you that! your life has changed once more. he has returned. her eyes were bright as her tail swayed plants behind her. you must tell me all.

she implied with a teasing tone.

she would not pry where she was not wanted, though.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,942 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
When Njord had failed to return, Meerkat had been too wrapped up in herself and their children to consider how the rest of the pack felt about his absence. She had eventually remembered to express her condolences to Mireille, though mostly everyone had been trying to comfort her, not the other way around.

And until now, she hadn’t thought about how his return might be perceived from those who hadn’t missed him in the same way as his family. What did wolves like Jorunn make of Njord? A bit of dread settled in Meerkat’s stomach like a stone. Chacal  had welcomed him home, yet that did not mean others would be as quick to look past his prolonged leave. Even if they knew the story, it didn’t necessarily mean they would accept him so readily.

In Jorunn’s case, she just seemed happy that Meerkat was happy. A smile flitted across the Laramite’s face as the woman took a seat beside her, placing the fish at her feet. She sounded interested to hear the details of Njord’s prodigal return, though the Laramite bit her lip. Was it a genuine, open-minded question or was Jorunn probing to discover whether the reasons for Njord’s truancy were sufficient?

But it wasn’t really her story to tell, so she replied, It’s kind of a long story. Njord will have to tell you himself sometime. But all that matters to me is that he’s home. Her voice softened on the last few words, her concern about Jorunn’s (and the rest of the pack’s) opinion mingling with her absolute joy at having her husband back.
318 Posts
Ooc —
sorry this took forever, can either fade or keep going <3

she would not hear the tale of njord unless it came from his lips. she could respect this, even if it left the curiosity deep and wounding.

you deserve full home. her voice softened. she nudged the fish once more. for you. your family. take time off. she laughed softly. as if mothers and wives ever seemed to have days off. but perhaps this would allow them to settle back into some sense of normalcy within the inner family of sapphique.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,942 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
I don’t mind! We could try to nudge this toward a trade/specialty thread for Jorunn or something if you want? Otherwise, feel free to fade it for us. :)

‘Take time off’? Meerkat jested with a playful glint in her eye. I don’t know the meaning of these words, Jorunn…

She huffed an amused breath through her nostrils and leaned to nudge the other woman. Jokes aside, Meerkat appreciated the sentiment. She couldn’t guess about the pack’s opinion of her husband these days, though she certainly felt tightly-knit to the core of Sapphique.

You dodged my question, earlier, the Laramite said lightly. You must tell me all, Meerkat echoed Jorunn’s own words, about your life lately. Please?
318 Posts
Ooc —
she laughed. flushed in the face, hidden beneath her mask.

i spend most my days along erzulie and rosalyn... such was no secret by now! yet still she felt that stirring warmth. a smitten girl hidden inside the grown woman. it is so lovely. we wrangle the children together, i teach — when they will listen! she laughed, feeling she might hit a familiar note with meerkat.

i think i wish to find a more specific path for my skills of my heart, i just do not know which way i go, yet. i think i wander no more, though.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,942 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Jorunn talked of her special relationship with the pack’s former forewomen. Meerkat didn’t really understand how such a thing might work, though she knew it was also none of her business. Still, she wondered if Jorunn would mind if she asked some personal questions. They were fairly close friends, weren’t they?

But the Emerald’s last remark redirected her attention. Once upon a time, Meerkat had scouted far and wide. She still traveled occasionally, though she was much more domestic these days. Now, she leaned on her counseling trade much more, which was exactly the vocation being called upon here.

Oh, I could help you figure out what you’d like to do now, Meerkat offered. If you enjoy teaching, maybe you could become a coach too? Or maybe you’d enjoy more of a sitter’s role? If you went that route, you could look into midwifery too…
318 Posts
Ooc —
she new for this (for many reasons, actually) that she could safely call meerkat a true friend.

helpful, kind, thoughtful.

midwifery and sitting is not such an awful thought... she admitted softly. perhaps sheepish, uncertain! she had never been a medic but she had been around plenty of mothers this year.

how do you coach? what is it like?

she did not know that she already had done such!
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,942 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
I don’t know the first thing about it, except through personal experience, Meerkat said with a titter, but with so many prospective mothers—and, quite often, no father in the picture—I feel as though Sapphique could really use a dedicated midwife.

But Jorunn was curious what coaching entailed, to which Meerkat replied, Coaching is basically being a professional cheerleader. I mostly offer my services to the pack’s younger members, though I’m happy to help anyone. I used to throw the occasional party or play date as well, though they often fell a little flat for one reason or another. Maybe I just didn’t have the flair for that but I like to think I’ve excelled in other ways.
318 Posts
Ooc —
perhaps these things meet in the middle? i become midwife as spring comes, then coach when all are here...

it could work, no? why would it not? it was not as if she left the beach much nowadays anyway. and they had plenty of scouts as it was. aspiring and trained...

you always know what i must hear. she complimented, as her tail waved against the earth.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,942 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Sure, Meerkat said easily, breezily, or you can be a sitter, she repeated, which is more about minding them than teaching them. Both callings are valid. If you do decide to pursue coaching, you know I’ll be your number one cheerleader, right?

She threw a soft elbow at Jorunn, nudging her with it and leaning toward her again before straightening her spine. Meerkat smiled brightly at what she perceived to be a high compliment, considering her line of work.

Well, I don’t tell people what they want to hear but I do try to tell them what they need to hear, Meerkat laughed, so I appreciate that.

With Njord back home where he belonged, everything felt lighter. Smiles came easier, as did her words. And though she could spare so many of those for her friend, she found herself suddenly and sharply pining to return to her husband’s side. He had only just returned, she couldn’t bear to be apart from him for more than a few minutes.

Njord’s sleeping but I want to be there when he wakes up. I’ll catch up with you later, if that’s alright? Meerkat asked Jorunn, readying to pick up the fish and depart but pausing, eyes resting fondly on her cinnamon-spiced features.
318 Posts
Ooc —
fading <3

meerkat left her with warmth and knowledge.

now the sea wife must depart! jorunn faulted her not one bit.

of course. go, go! she encouraged her number one cheerleader to run along. return to her reunited family. for jorunn found herself suddenly needing to go see faces of her own as well.

conversations with the coach consistently proved fruitful.