Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
Meerkat stretched out in her family’s ulaq with a gentle sigh. Yesterday afternoon, she’d noticed a heavy feeling in her chest. This morning, she’d woken up congested with a sore throat. Everything just felt sort of scratchy.

She reached for a small hunk of dried meat stashed at the back of the den. She was a bit hungry but eating was unpleasant. Meerkat could barely breathe and swallowing was painful. She gave up after a few mouthfuls, pushing the leftovers back into storage.

She let her head drift down to rest on her forelegs, hoping she might feel better after a nap. But Meerkat hadn’t even begun to drowse before a tickle started in her throat. She raised her head, angling it toward her shoulder as she coughed.

Oof, Meerkat muttered to herself.

She had a bad feeling this sickness was going to get worse before it got better.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Councilor*
548 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Alaric hadn't seen his friend since the hunt and he wanted to check in with Meerkat after all. He liked her just as much as her hisband though he liked their children best. He loved all the children on the spear. They just made everything brighter.

In his maw he carried some mint. He'd been sharing that with many as the cooler days came and coughs would make their rounds.

Upon arrival at the Ulaq he let out a small little whuff. And then looked sround a small smile as the day came in full swing.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
A brief spate of coughing obscured the sound of Alaric’s footsteps, so Meerkat startled slightly when his smiling face appeared in her doorway. She sat up a little straighter, trying to ignore the persistent tickling at the back of her throat.

Alaric, you probably shouldn’t come in here. I don’t know if I’m contagious, she cautioned, and I wouldn’t want you passing anything to any of the pups, since I know you spend a lot of time with them.

She smiled weakly at him, then buried a cough against her foreleg. It was very dry and made both her throat and chest ache worse. Meerkat sighed through her nose afterward, then flashed the healer an apologetic smile.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Councilor*
548 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Alaric's ears perked forward and he went from happy to see her, to worried. Concern in those green eyes.

i guess its good I'm a healer then isn't it
 And if i get sick I'll stay away. Is it alright to look you over. It sounds like a little cold, but.

He lay the mint down. You can chew on that it might ease it.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Alaric didn’t seem particularly concerned about catching whatever might be ailing her. Meerkat’s brow furrowed. Maybe he wouldn’t mind coming down with it but she didn’t like that idea, especially if it could be reasonably prevented.

Let’s not get you sick in the first place, she countered. The pups need you more than I do. Thank you for your willingness but I don’t really think a checkup is necessary. I will take you up on that, though, Meerkat said, reaching out to pick up the sprigs he’d placed on the floor. I’m sure they’ll help my throat. It’s pretty sore.

In fact, talking was making it feel all the raspier. Meerkat bent down to lick the small green leaves into her mouth, immediately tasting a burst of freshness. She chewed carefully, moving the mush around her mouth to maximize its effect, then swallowed.

Thank you, she repeated. Probably the best medicine is rest, right?
Moonspear
Councilor*
548 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Meerkat wasn't going to be reason3d with he could see it immediately. She had been a bit stubborn about healthcare since he met her honestly.

He frowned and nodded. Yes. Cold cold water will also help your throat and if you have anything in your chest that feels stuck. Let the eater sit to luke warm. More mint to ease and then as much rest as you can and don't over exert yourself.

He frowned itching to help further. if youre not hungry don't eat, but it is very important that you drink.

His looked around and sighed. and once you start to feel better a change of bedding and if its furs rinse them and let air dry.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
His frown made her feel a little guilty about rejecting his help, though she stood by her decision. Meerkat drew in a steadying breath and tried not to fret about his reaction as she listened to Alaric’s advice.

Duly noted, she said.

Some of it was common sense, though she hadn’t thought of steeping the mint. It made her think of Bridget. She’d taught Meerkat how to steep chamomile to settle her stomach. If memory served, chamomile tea was also good for soothing sore throats and helping one sleep.

Before she could ask about it, Alaric sighed. Meerkat shifted a little uncomfortably. Perhaps making a request would appease his desire to help. He’d had the mint on hand, which was rather serendipitous, but she had no idea whether he might have some of the daisy-like flowers stashed somewhere.

Would you happen to have any chamomile, by any chance? Maybe you could bring some by later?
Moonspear
Councilor*
548 Posts
Ooc — Danni
He hadn't meant to upset. But chest colds made him nervous. They could so easily turn into something worse.

His plan was to take mint to all the ulaqs as autumn came upon them. Weather changes also affected bodies and breathing. He wanted to be prepared.

A small nod. A pull from the wood of the pack he always carried and a gentle unroll. He pulled somw of the dried flowers from inside. Placing the small square of that had covered it safely back over what was left.::
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He gave her a nod and to Meerkat’s surprise, he began unrolling his pack and pulling some dried blossoms out of it. Her eyes sparkled as her lips parted to say something. But she felt a cough coming on and turned her head to bury it in her shoulder.

It passed quickly and she looked to the healer to say, Thank you. I really appreciate you stopping by with medicine. I’ll drink plenty of water and rest as much as possible. And once I’m on the mend, I’ll decontaminate the whole ulaq, she promised.

It was a good thing her mother had taken Seal to the seaside. Otherwise Meerkat had a feeling her daughter would take her refusals even more personally than Alaric. She couldn’t cope with the idea of getting anyone sick, least of all her daughters. She would make sure to tell @Njord to ask @Orca II to keep her distance while Meerkat rested and recovered.
Moonspear
Councilor*
548 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Alaric tried to keep most common herbs on paw. Granted it didn't always work out and he could only fit so much without damage in his otter fur once rolled.

You're welcome. I want to drop mint at everyones, as it helps with coughs more than most and it just tastes good.

Another small smile and he swiftly gathered his items he wasn't leaving. rest well Meerkat.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,943 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
It’s pleasant on the breath too, Meerkat quipped. Thank you again, Alaric.

As he made to leave, the Councilor carefully scooped the mint and chamomile blossoms into a heap, which she stored near the dried meat in the back of the ulaq. When Njord came back from his daily forays, she would request he prepare some tea for her. And as much as she adored her husband, he would be the single exception to her self-imposed social distancing. She just hoped he could forgive her for inevitably passing her cold to him.