Moonsong Glacier redthread
Brecheliant
Family
337 Posts
Ooc — ebony
All Welcome 
all her hours were marked by kivaluk now.
they each had their own work, but she sought him for interludes beside the lake, beneath the wild oaks, in the coppice; nighttime was revelry and laughter and as her breathing eased she would tell him blackthorn stories.
chickadee told no one where she was going that morning, because she hadn't had the intention to visit moonsong before she'd left. 
but she'd loved it the last time she had gone, all the unexplored places and the cold wind. 
the real reason she'd arrived, holding a turkey, was because chickadee felt she should be brought up to speed. she'd never met kivaluk's father, and if ariadne and she knew each other it surely had been in passing.
painstakingly she lugged it up the ice, stopping every so often to lament the trail of torn feathers and her own unsurety on these slopes.
Moonglow
Kappa

“We are all eaters of souls.”

Dan Simmons, 'The Terror'

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
Ariadne was recovering in her ulaq and Kaluktuk had slipped out before the sunrise, intent on getting at least one patrol done before bringing her breakfast; it had become a habit by now. By the late afternoon he would have brought her something else and shared it with her, as well as any news within the village. He was only just beginning this midday prowl when he saw a stranger approaching the village limits.

Ordinarily he would have intercepted and been cautious, but this person was young — maybe Ariadne's own age, maybe younger — and Kaluktuk knew she wished more women lived among them, for her circle. With this in mind Kaluktuk drew closer and as he did so, he discovered the girl carried a meal with her; that, and the scent of his son. The combined scents of Moonglow.

Hello there, he called as he drew upon them; his demeanor having shifted again from something more welcoming to something guarded, but hopeful. There could be any number of reasons that an emissary of Moonglow would come to their doorstep — so, Kaluktuk would wait and see what she wanted.

This is the village Moonsong—but I assume you know that, being our neighbor. What can I do for you? There was the unmistakable, utterly distracting notion that this girl was in some way affiliated with his son, and that was incredibly distracting.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Brecheliant
Family
337 Posts
Ooc — ebony
fowldown puffed into the air as chickadee whirled in surprise. the man who had addressed her was powerfully built, scars climbing across much of his body. but it was his voice that sparked recollection; these were the deep tones that had risen over the village, the ones kivaluk had gone to greet that day.
was this ...?
but she wouldn't assume! "hi, uh," sheepish, tail waving tentatively, "i'm chickadee from moonglow, ah, village. i'm — kivaluk, we're," wow what a great first interaction with moonsong. 
chickadee had not seen the man's expression change; she saw only the veiled way in which he held himself, and wondered. gathering nerve and better words, she started again: "kivaluk is going to be my husband. i came to see ariadne, but really, i wanted to meet his father."
now she did meet the man's eyes, measuring him without malice.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The girl fumbled a bit, but she got out the name of his son and immediately Kaluktuk was all ears! He was hopeful now that this was a purposeful event, that this girl was sent to... to... well, he wasn't sure exactly, but something good had to come out of this. Why else would Kivaluk send his intended? She had a gift as well, and Kaluktuk moved to accommodate her. He looked upon the girl, the turkey, and the situation with such a sense of hope that could not be hidden. Of course! Come, you are welcome anytime.

Kaluktuk welcomed her as warmly as he could! There was no mistaking the awkwardness there, the feeling he might say or do too much, or the wrong way, and he was made so careful as he shepherded the visitor along. I am Kaluktuk, ah - I am his... father, he struggled to say around the turkey he carried; equally so, it felt inaccurate to name himself as a father after so many poor conversations and denials by Kivaluk.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Brecheliant
Family
337 Posts
Ooc — ebony
so suddenly did the man's demeanour change that chickadee was slightly taken aback. but she recovered quickly, pleased that kaluktuk proved to be so friendly.
his father, whom kivaluk had said was marrying a sister after abandoning his family; while she believed the man who would be her husband, this eager, scarred man with hope in his eyes surprised the image she had cultivated of him.
she plucked turkey feathers from her chestfur. "kivaluk found me after i left home. i didn't disperse very well. almost starved. took me right home and we lived together for months, really, before you know, we decided we liked each other."
was she rambling? did it matter? chickadee took a big gulp of the cold air and fell quiet for now.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
The girl was aptly named! The little bird was quick to speak and to ramble, and Kaluktuk did not mind to hear it. He enjoyed hearing about his son and how the two had met - and was not so much surprised by the tale, as he was proud of Kivaluk for having saved someone. He wondered if that was something he learned from Kaluktuk or Sunman, and found a touch of bitterness.

I am glad you are happy. The both of you. And he meant it. As he came to where Ariadne often slept, he placed the turkey down by the door and ducked inside to see her - but she was not there; likely having gone to run an errand or, perhaps to visit her shrine with someone's help.

When he came out again, he was smiling to the girl. I will let Ariadne know of your gift. It will be safe here. He took it and tucked it inside the door with care, then was outside again with Chickadee.

Can you tell me... What is he like? Kaluktuk did not want to pressure her. He was curious, and knew he could not spend time with Kivaluk now - things were too difficult. If I'm not overstepping with the question. I only wish to know him. And he knew he had messed that up.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Brecheliant
Family
337 Posts
Ooc — ebony
to her, kaluktuk's eagerness took a desperate tone when he began to ask about kivaluk. this was something chickadee observed with ears and eyes, but not with heart. nestled deeply into the secure love of maia and eljay, she considered again that she could not relate to what this man or her intended husband were going through.
she could, however, empathize with how great the rift between father and son seemed to be. kivaluk had come to her trembling with emotion as she had never seen him before. and this scarred tall father of his, too, passed his own to chickadee, tentatively or not.
the blackthorn girl nestled her paws inside the curl of her warm tail and thought for a moment, her eyes soft. "he is very kind. thoughtful. careful. i think his smile is just beautiful." was this a betrayal? surely it wasn't; she wouldn't gab about that moment after kaluktuk had visited. "he's a very important person in moonglow. sivullik," she offered, glancing up at the somber features to see if she saw anything register after the northern word.
"but even if it takes time, you will have to get to know the rest of him yourself," she said quietly, with a warm directness that guarded her betrothed and one that said she knew. kivaluk would know she had been here; she did not want him to think she'd allied with his dad or anything. this whole situation did make her wonder; would kaluktuk be at their wedding? what would their children call him? would he even be allowed to know them? or would father and son lead two separate lives from henceforth on?
a lot to wonder, to digest.
Moonglow
Kappa

1,211 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Master Ranger
Tracker
For a moment which felt like it would never end, Kaluktuk worried he might have offended her with the question. That she might rebel against the very notion he might want to get to know his son, this man who had refused him the title of father, who now found love and comfort and home in a village he had not built; this person who she loved and would soon marry. She tucks herself together and when she speaks, Kaluktuk listens intently.

Little by little the truth of his son was made clear: he had never really been Kaluktuk's; he had always been Sakhmet's. Even before Kukutux and Aiolos, he had his mother's heart. Outwardly he looked to be something suitable for the northlands and those of Tartok — but now that Kaluktuk was being told of Kivaluk, he learned of how wrong he had been. No, Kivaluk was not Tartok. He was never destined for such a life no matter what Kaluktuk had hoped. He was a summerland wolf like his mother, to his core.

Chickadee spoke the word sivullik and Kaluktuk felt a great love and pride swell in the broken parts of his heart, almost enough to mend it. His worries eased, and his features melted to something softer, kinder. It was good to know Kivaluk was so well respected; that he was skilled, loved, cared for. That it had been beneficial to leave him within Moonglow, at least to a point. He could imagine what kind of man Kivaluk would have grown in to, had Natigvik remained. How he might have gone north with him to one of the camps, to take part in a warband, to find himself an issumatar.

This was better.

You have to get to know the rest of him yourself.

I hope to. He was hopeful that such a moment might come to pass.

...and, I thank you for what you have said. I am glad that he has someone he can depend on. A slight dig at himself, but it cannot be avoided. He is very important to me — but more importantly now, to you. It is good. I wish you both well in the future. The thought of spring made Kaluktuk take a breath, but he would not speak upon the topic, as he did not know what to expect.

If either of you need me for anything, or have need of Moonsong for anything, please do not hesitate to call.
Inupiaq. · Common.
Brecheliant
Family
337 Posts
Ooc — ebony
kaluktuk was kind, which put chickadee at ease. she thought him nice even if she did not know him, but was wary. her lot was with kivaluk now, and how their desires for a family would align.
it felt as though their discourse had come to an end. the girl stood gracefully, wondering if ariadne was close or if she should come again. or perhaps not. 
maybe not for a little while. all dependent on how her husband to be felt. chickadee wished she could welcome them to her wedding but again, the spectre of kivaluk's deep hurt in response to kaluktuk rose between them.
"i'm sure I'll see you again. please give my regards to ariadne and i'll let you know if i need anything," she said carefully, not wanting to use the royal 'we' just yet, or volunteer kivaluk to see his father anytime soon.
chickadee wanted to ask why ariadne, but wasn't that how love worked? did it matter? she herself had studiously avoided creating any mental discourses about the man's choice because she had not wanted to meet him in bias.
"enjoy the turkey, kaluktuk. and be well," chickadee said cheerily, dipping her head before she turned to depart the packland.