Silvertip Mountain Another hit and run
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Mercenary thread for @Steady <3

Threw a bit of a scout twist in to see if I could swing it, depending on how the thread goes! :)

Today seemed as good a day as any to pull something stupid.  It had been a while since Roz had given in to more reckless tendencies, and her tendency to go off half-cocked had yet to get her into trouble in this particular part of the wilderness.  But she had been circling these pack lands for a day or so, well outside range, skulking and trying to decide if making a bid for whatever she might find on the inside was worth it.  Chances were, they had guards ready to take down any interlopers.

But the appeal was there all the same.  Easy pickings might be had and then there was the principle of the thing - raising hell and sticking her nose where it didn't belong, two things she delighted in most days.  Her particular brand of honor saw nothing wrong in entering lands she had no ties to with intent to steal.  If they couldn't protect their borders, that was their own fault.  And if they could, well, that'd be her problem then wouldn't it?

Her slight frame was taught as she held it low, slipping amongst the trees at the mountain's base and crossing the border with both ears pricked for any sign of a defense.  The instant she heard one she'd either run or submit - she might be ballsy enough to attempt this, but she had no death wish.  Glancing about, she began cutting a gradual, diagonal path... keeping near the edge, but hoping to still come across something, anything, she could snag and run with before she ran into the inevitable judgement on her current life choices.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Awesome! Thanks for starting! <3

Steady had been diligent on patrol of the borders, though today his mind was a little off, thinking of a certain other wolf. She had captivated him and now all he could think of was his dream of starting a family. It was really the only thing missing in his life- a life he really couldn't complain about. His brother had unhesitatingly accepted him into his pack, and given him a purpose. But, there was still that one thing he needed to feel complete.

His mind was so caught up that he almost missed the strong scent coming across the borders. He stopped in his tracks, backing up a few yards to get to the trail. This stranger smelled nothing of the Silvertip Mountain wolves, which could only mean one thing- trespasser!. Steady growled, his tail rising, his hackles going up and his ears pushing forward. He didn't waste any more time following the trail, his pace fast, but slow enough that he could remain quiet. His intention was to sneak up on the offender. Heaven help the wolf he came upon, for Steady was dearly protective of his family.

The scent grew stronger and stronger, a sign he was getting closer. The wolf had remained mostly close to the borders, and Steady knew there was no way the intruder could have missed the markings. A flash of brown caught his attention, and Steady's eyes were on the wolf for a fraction of a second before he went barreling towards her, all one hundred and fifty pounds of muscle aimed right at her. There would be no mistake that Steady was full on aggressive as a growl was released from his throat. He lunged at her, intending to use his full weight to bring her not only to a stop, but down to the ground. If she escaped his first attack, his jaws would open as he came at her again, hoping to clamp down on anything he could grab. He may not have been out for blood just yet, but her response to his attack could change that before she knew it.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Gonna roll out of 10 for how well she makes it out of this :D - 9
higher means more damage!

Edit: ahahahaha oh dear

So far she'd come out empty, and was just about to chock this up to a complete waste of time when a sudden eruption of noise behind her heralded the arrival of an avenging packie.  Roz's ears flattened back and she immediately darted left, hoping to make it for the borders without falling prey to whatever teeth might lie behind the crashing pursuer.

Unfortunately for Roz, she didn't catch the warning until he was almost upon her, the wind being far from in her favor.  Even more unfortunately, on the unfamiliar terrain, her leg caught a branch and sent her sprawling before she could even gain ground.  With a heavy 'whump' she fell flat on her face, scrabbling backwards with her heart pounding.  Adrenaline spiked through every vein as she hovered between fight and flight, knowing that now there was no getting out unmarked if he went for the attack.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
I haven't used the dice roll, so while I understand the high roll means she takes a bigger hit, I don't understand exactly what that hit is... :-/

The intruder seemed to lose her footing, hitting the ground face-first. While she may not have thought so, the accident likely saved her life. Instead of going for her throat, he settled for coming to a stop directly over her, his front legs on either side of her head. He was a fierce presence, bringing his head close to hers and growling, his fangs bared. His fur was bristled in anger, making him appear even larger than he already was.

A conflict was raging inside of him. The protective side of him wanted to sink his teeth into her neck and jerk until it broke. The rational, good side of him said to leave her with her life if she left the lands immediately. But, he wasn't going to let her go without at least teaching her a lesson. What do you think you are doing? he growled out, his anger evident in his voice.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
nothing in particular! More of a 'successfully gains some distance' vs 'gives opponent a chance at a large hit' roll haha. So it's mostly up to you and steady's character!

Dice rolls are kinda player-preference I think ^^

Her smarting muzzle wrinkled as she stared up at the imposing figure over her, knowing she was in a bind. Tongue-tied, she said the first thing that came to mind. "Running." Nice one wise-ass. Way to ease the situation. He'd likely bite her just for that smart remark.

Her heart continued to thud as she attempted to back up more, throwing attempts to explain out for the moment, though she kept herself low, ears splayed. Her eyes remained warily on him, expecting any moment to see teeth.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Ah, okay. Thanks!!

Her smartass replied did nothing to quell his anger, and he snapped his jaws dangerously close to her face, growling. You're running in the wrong direction! he said angrily. Did she have any idea the trouble she had gotten herself into by crossing the borders? He had every right to kill her for her offense.

She began to squirm and her movement snapped his instinct into motion. He attempted to grab whatever he could and shake her a bit. He didn't think she understood the position she was in, and Steady was out to teach her a lesson.

1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
sorry dear! I should be able to pick up with her more after the new year <3

Maybe before I was, she thought mutinously, itching to take off an break again for the borders.  But before she could, he snapped, seizing her easily by the scruff from her prone position and giving a hearty shake.  Fear made her want to strike back, attempt to dislodge him so she could run, but instead she, for once, did the smarter thing. She dropped, limp, a light whine escaping her lips. Pitiful, but when it came to survival, Roz wasn't all about appearances.

If they were alone, she's have tried to take his ear for the treatment. But they were on his territory. If she so much as nibbled at him, his pack would be on her, and her number really would be up.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
No problem at all! ^_^

Steady was successful in grabbing her scruff and giving her a shake. He didn't break skin, but he hoped he got his point across. He felt her weight on his hold, and her lack of retaliation added to it was a sign she had gone submissive. He held on for a moment after shaking her, bringing his head up before releasing her and letting her fall to the ground.

Her move had most likely saved her life. Get out, he growled out, his teeth bared as he looked down at her, his hackles still raised. It was the only opportunity he would give her to leave with her life. If she made a bee line for the borders and high-tailed it out of here, he would only chase her. If she chose to be mouthy and not leave immediately, he would not give another warning before sinking his teeth into her flesh.

1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She had no reason to stay.  Obviously she wouldn't be getting any food with him here now, and this entire thing had been a bad idea at best.  Would she learn from her mistake? Maybe.  Stealing was too convenient to learn completely, but now she'd make damn sure to watch her tail a little better.

As soon as she felt his teeth release her she scrambled sideways and bolted, clearly making a beeline for the border.  She assumed she'd have a tail for a while, but hoped he'd be decent enough to let her go now.  No harm no foul?  She grimaced.  That she'd escaped with only a sore neck was some sort of miracle.  He'd had a clear shot to do some damage and had instead let her slide, something she wasn't stupid enough to count on happening twice.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Last from me. Thank you so much for the thread! <3

Steady didn't give her any room as she scrambled to get up and run. And, while he was letting her go, she was right in assuming she would have a tail until he felt she was far enough away that she wouldn't come back. For him, harm had been done, whether she succeeded in what she had come for or not. Coming into pack lands was a sure fire way to get oneself killed, and Steady had been kind enough to let her leave with her life.

He felt, though, he had roughed her up enough so that she would not soon forget what happened when she came here. If she ever came near these borders again, Steady would not hesitate to kill her.