Ankyra Sound sharp edges
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
Private 
Leadership meeting! Occurs after he's returned from his walkabout (lol) and is post-spar with Aningan; vague on the outcome for now. @Rosalyn

Caiaphas had been moved somewhere sheltered and easily accessible — the caves being the perfect place to treat her wounds — so that is where Firefly roamed next. He felt his blood boiling in his veins, imbibed with adrenaline and an increased aggression following his little spat with the pale kid; his heart was just beginning to return to a more casual pace as he neared the cavern entrance, but he did not go inside. Rather than disturb the wolves who were hard at work saving a life he chuffed in to the depths to get their attention. He wanted to get an update but the bodies were too busy, so he gave up after a few minutes.

Firefly then chose to stalk along the sand until he found a patch shrouded in the shadow of the ridge. Just beyond the ridge was the jagged and rough-shod cliffside leading towards Drageda, but he wasn't going to think about that. Just remembering how things spiraled out of control — how he hadn't anticipated what Caiaphas was going to do, much less stop her once it began — reignited the fire of his frustration, to the point that he couldn't remain in the shadows for long. He only made it a few steps before he heard a familiar voice calling to him across the sand —
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn had been a broody storm cloud ever since the fiasco.  She didn't know how to address it yet, though, so kept it to herself, and as she did the feeling of wrong grew stronger and stronger.  This pack was going to destroy itself and take her with it.  This right here was why she had wanted to leave, but she wouldn't ask Erzulie again.  And she wouldn't leave without her.

Finally, distractedly, she chose to bring in a second opinion.  Firefly at least seemed annoyed by Caiaphas' choice, though he hadn't seemed nearly angry enough for her liking (not being as outwardly angry as she was).  She stood on the sand, her back to the water, and watched as he came with a tense expression.

We need to talk. She said, though she figured he had to know what this was about.  This needs to end.  Only question was how.
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
They were of the same mind when it came to a lot of things, yet it was Rosalyn that was the more obvious with her emotions; the stereotype of the "overly emotional woman" might've held true in this moment but Firefly wouldn't be pointing that out if he wanted to keep all his parts. The woman addressed him as he stalked along and when he drew close enough to her so they could converse without shouting, he paused. What needs to end? The bullshit grudge against Drageda? Yes; Caiaphas' snap decisions? Good luck with that.

What else was there to talk about? Firefly did not agree with what Caiaphas had done. Maybe deep down he felt he was culpable of the chaos too - he was the reason Caiaphas was on that ridge that day. It wasn't his fault she took the opportunity to go after one of the dragedans though. That was entirely her own doing, and he hated her for it. What do you want, Ros?
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Had an idea so I figured I would light powerplay! Lemme know if this isn't ok! I didn't want him to miss the main talk but figured this would be easier way to enter <3

His levity was hard for her to take, and her ears went flat as she asked what she wanted.  It was then that presumably @Illidan arrived, but Rosalyn for the most part ignored it.  They likely should have expected company this near to where Caiaphas was holding, and the boy was technically their second now.  He should hear this.

I want to do something about it, all of it.  And I want you to help me.  She replied heatedly.  It should have been obvious.  There was just one problem, and that was that she hadn't settled on a course yet.

The first on her mind was also the one she liked least - talk to Drageda.  If situations were different, she would already have gone and not even asked.  But of all the wolves of Rusalka (save perhaps Caiaphas now), she was least safe in approaching the cliffs.  And knowing their penchant for taking prisoners, she wasn't keen on seeing anyone else go either.

They could talk to the pack, but it was doubtful they would listen without good reason.  And for some unintelligible reason, not fucking dying in a pointless war wasn't enough of deterrence.

She took a small breath, trying to even out.  We are three down with pregnancy, four now because of Caiaphas.  Damn her stupidity.  When I was held, Drageda had two full packs worth at their disposal.  If we fight them, we get nothing.  Save injury, potential death.  Great incentives.

She needed Firefly backing her up, and if Illidan had any ideas, she'd welcome them.  Likely he was of the same mind as his sister though, and all the rest of them.  Especially now that his mother had been taken down, even if it was of her own choosing.
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
Firefly listened with all the patience he could muster, which wasn't a lot. Rosalyn was saying things that he agreed with but he wasn't sure about the next step to take; as she spoke of all the pregnancies, his frown deepend. The primary reason he had been so pissed off at Caiaphas was on behalf of all those would-be mothers (specifically Erzulie, but Rosalyn was up there too). Knowing that the Sound was going to be welcoming new life made Caiaphas' snap decision worse. He'd known it then, and wasn't surprised to have this pointed out to him now.

We can't fight them, he responded to her final point, not that he needed that fact pointed out to him any more than she did. Granted she had more knowledge of the cliff-walkers than the rest of the pack combined, Firefly had been there during the raid to save her ass, and they had been met with enough resistance to make him reconsider any outright combat with them in the future. Everything was in limbo now, which was the most frustrating thing. If the wolf Caiaphas targeted was dead now, they'd have to expect a swift retaliation; perhaps even if he were to live, they'd exact a pound of flesh anyway.

I agree — he had to pause because Illidan had slunk towards the duo, and Firefly gave him an appreciative (albeit curt) dip of the head as a greeting - We can't afford a fight right now, but I'm hoping that they're just as limited because of the season. Nobody wants to fight, whether its justified or not. But -- maybe he was saying this because Ilildan was standing with them now and he didn't want to piss off his friend, — I will not abide seeing Caiaphas abandoned to the mercy of Drageda either.

He didn't know what else could be done, though. Except maybe, In the worst case scenario, we could move. But would that be akin to losing? Giving up the beach they'd fought so hard for, all because of the one woman who desired it the most?
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
things had changed in the time that they had spent beside the sea. illidan was a different man than the one who had arrived there. he had been hurt more than he would have thought, but he had pushed beyond a serious mental block that had crippled him before. there was more to work through, but he had managed to endure that long without faltering. he had even found a position of leadership in his mother’s pack.

with that, so had firefly and rosalyn.

the ability to compete for rank was smart. it provided those who felt they had earned it a moment to test their strength. illidan had not been overwhelmingly active in his leadership role. he had spent a great deal of time patrolling the borders and scouting the nearby territories so that he could know them better. he had learned a good deal in his short time as beta of the sound. he knew when it was important that he show his face.

the lean-bodied ghost made his way to the other two just in time to hear the trailing end of firefly’s remark: ’…we could move…’

“that would definitely be a worst-case scenario,” the dark-hooded figure stated in an even tone. “we have pregnant women with children that could be seriously harmed by a move. besides, you’d be hard pressed to find a way to convince my mother to leave this beach.” there were many reasons why he did not think that moving their group was an intelligent plan. it risked more than if they were to intentionally spur war with the drageda wolves again. even he did not believe that he could endure another uprooting.

“i will speak to her… about the drageda wolves. i will do what i can to temper her spirit… but you should know, she only acts how she believes is best for her group. she might not be right, but at least she is true to her own beliefs.”

in truth, it was not his job to make excuses for his mother. illidan did not believe that he even knew the woman well enough to be saying such things. he only hoped that he could help them in that moment. if they wanted to move, the young ghost knew that it would divide their pack. that was the last thing they needed when they were so weak. it was a time to build strength.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
It was good to hear that at least one other in this pack agreed with her.  They definitely could fight them, as Caiaphas had well demonstrated.  But doing so did not end well for either side, and in the end, what would be left even if they did 'win'?

He shot down her earlier words and her single ear flicked in recognition, but she didn't argue the point.  She knew what their mercy was like and she'd been angry when she'd said those words.  If there was an alternative, she would like to hear it.

Leaving was what she had wanted to do from the first, but as Illidan quickly argued, she knew it wouldn't happen.  Not as long as they still wanted a pack following.  I don't understand the attachment to this place.  But I doubt we would get many to follow. She added to Illidan's statement, clearly annoyed.  Pregnancy was no reason not to move; she and Erzulie had traveled in worse state than this when necessary.  She didn't like that his words used their future children as a reason to stay and fight versus a drive to leave.

What's best? She let out a laugh, though it was clearly incensed.  Well then, doesn't that make me feel better.  Drageda will come and I'll be able to do nothing, for Erzulie or myself, but at least Caiaphas is true to herself.  

She didn't want to direct her anger at Illidan, but lately, it was so hard to find who should be the focus of it.  Maybe because the real focus was herself.  This was a mistake, she thought, glancing at her rounding sides with a deeply growing regret.  She should never have let go of her sense.
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
Illidan spoke up and the pair listened, however Firefly was already forming alternative plans in his mind. Rosalyn voiced some of what he was thinking so he remained silent and contemplative until they were both finished; his next statement would likely incite some reaction from their Beta.

We have many mothers, but some can travel. I only propose that we get them somewhere safe and hidden until things blow over, he figured that Rosalyn would appreciate that at the very least. Not as a permanent solution - but this place has never been safe, and is not exactly ideal for newborns. I will begin scouting for somewhere suitable - that wasn't a question - meanwhile, we should all be on high alert in case Drageda retaliates.
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
you give someone a modicum of power and they let it go directly to their heads. illidan listened with a perfectly neutral expression. his burning gaze lingered on each of their features. he was not shocked that rosalyn would suggest they uproot the pack and move out of the sound. he did not know her well enough to find shock in such things. he was more displeased that firefly did not seem to listen to him at all. a cool rage started to sweep through his frame. he fought to keep it under control, but he did not appreciate that neither of them seemed to care what he had to say.

“no,” the boy’s voice was firm this time. he drew his crown upward and eyed the dark male that he had forged a bond with. “you would only be leaving with yourselves. my family will not leave the sound, and i’d confidently wager that there are several more who would stand with us in our home,” he then explained with a shrug of his shoulder. “if you two would like to leave, then that is your choice, but you won’t have a pack to follow you.” it wasn’t a threat, but a moment of clarity and honesty. he was not about to let them trample over him without understanding what would come of their poor choices.

“i asked that you let me speak to my mother and you completely ignore me. it does not speak well of your leadership skills,” illidan then remarked with a careful glance toward the scarred male and then to rosalyn. “that is, unless you wanted me to believe that you consider me and my opinions to be nothing more than a joke.” he was hurt, and it showed in the steely look in his hawkish gaze. he would have hoped that firefly would have listened to what he had to say… to at least allow him a chance.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Hell yes she would like to leave, but her words hadn't been an agreement to.  Rather, they'd been in line with Illidan's own.  They could leave, but no one would follow.  Including Erzulie, who she would not leave without.

A temporary departure of the mothers was a good idea, and she thought on that for a moment.  Could she perhaps convince her wife to only temporarily quit the sound, at least until they knew the repercussions of the previous alpha's attack had blown over?  It might be worth it to attempt.

Illidan's words were unfair... and missed the point.  He said only the pregnant would leave, she said, looking at him sharply.  Unless you'd rather we stay and fight?  She could likely do so, but every injury would take her a step closer to losing the life in her.

And no one doubts you talking to her.  But as you said, your mother does what she thinks is best.  There's no taking back what she's already done.  She'd let the Drageda wolf return to the cliffs and, alive or dead, there would likely be a reckoning.  Talking now wasn't going to do any good.  Unless Drageda for some reason decided to ignore this act of aggression, the choices were fight or leave.
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
His ears twisted when he heard the counter-points of his friend, not expecting so much resistance to a simple solution; he had explained it would not be permanent and thought that this would be a selling point. Firefly looked to Rosalyn next and was content to hear her acceptance of his solution — at least in part. Her sharp words to Illidan would have otherwise caused him to bare teeth and defend the boy, but she was on his side with all of this and he wasn't going to cause more of a scene.

Your mother does what she thinks is best. The pirate drawled, and Firefly watched as Illidan took these comments in. He went ahead to say his own piece next, before the boy could counter with more Sound-bound loyalty: I expected your trust, Illidan. We aren't making any decisions without considering all the options, like Caiaphas he didn't add, but we can't sit here with targets on our backs, unable to defend the lives of the unborn. This is still our land — your mother's land — but it wont be for long if Drageda attacks us in our current state.

He stopped then, giving Illidan a moment to process or to respond - yet he couldn't shake the feeling that there was now a divide between them. Was the Sound really that important? It was a beach; if he had to choose between a patch of sand or his children, the choice was simple (albeit a little shocking, since he didn't have an ounce of paternal instinct in his body).
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
rosalyn picked out a very specific portion of his word and used it against him. he was not stirred by this, but the young man did lift his head and steady his gaze against her own. “she will do what she believes is best, but she will not risk the lives of her family or her children… so you should keep that in mind before picking my words apart,” illidan returned to her politely, dipping his muzzle a few inches to her. it was not meant to be thrown at her with aggression. his tone was level and his posture was neutral in all things, but there was a pleading glint in the sharp yellow of his gaze.

“i understand where both of you are coming from,” the ghost remarked with a heavy sigh. he shook his head to them both, aware that he was the odd man out of their plans. “all i’m saying is that you should both think hard about what might happen if you try to move the pregnant women, or any portion of our pack,” illidan then added. he was careful with how he prepared this statement. he did not want them to think that he was blatantly calling out their choices and telling them how wrong they were. he wanted them to realize that it wasn’t as simple as they were making it out to be.

“splitting us up could cause more trouble than if we were to remain here. imagine if drageda decided to stalk only our pregnant? how smart would it be to separate them from the rest of the group? they’d be picked off before anyone had a chance to defend them…”

the boy had gathered some information from their dangerous neighbors. while he knew that there would be a great deal of risk in staying behind, if they were to build themselves up and act defensively instead of aggressively, they had a good chance at smoothing things over. he wanted to express this thought to the other two, but he wasn’t certain how he could do that without stuffing his own feet in his mouth. “they’ve lost their leader and – from what i’ve heard – my mother did a fair bit of damage to one of their warriors… we share a disadvantage, but i do not believe that the cliff wolves are looking for war right now,” illidan tried, turning his sights toward the looming stone that sat as a barricade against the rest of the world.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She already has, Rosalyn thought, but while she was livid she didn't attempt to argue with him.  He could learn to see for himself or he could continue to defend Caiaphas, but she wasn't about to attempt to placate the boy when he was so set on taking everything she said personally.  

She could feel the irrational anger growing as Illidan continued to refer to the "pregnant women" as if she were not one of them.  She had every right to choose how she wanted to face this danger and if her desire was to go south, even if only for a time, he had no power to stop her from doing so.  

It isn't Drageda that I think is looking for war, was all she responded, frostily.  Eventually Rusalka would force the cliffs to retaliate.  

She'd hoped this meeting would provide answers, but maybe there weren't any.  At least it had shown her that she and Firefly were fairly aligned... and that they were likely alone in that alignment.
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
The more that Illidan spoke, the more that Firefly came to understand both sides; but he wondered about the information that the boy shared and its efficacy. How could they trust that Drageda would hold back - whether their warrior was alive or not, injured or dead? But if he wanted to garner any trust himself, Firefly would have to put aside some of his misgivings and show some instead. He agreed with Rosalyn in most aspects of this situation - but he would give it time. They wouldn't have much time before Erzulie and Rosalyn were too far along for any movement at all, but he wasn't going to outright veto his friend's concerns either. He was part of the leadership team after all.

Learning that Drageda had lost their leader was a surprise. It isn't Drageda that I think is looking for war, he heard Rosalyn counter, and the man glanced between the both of them, quiet and thoughtful. When he finally spoke it was with a tone of finality to his voice.

We can't wait too long before Erzulie and Rosalyn are too far along to my plan to work, he looked at Ros briefly as he mentioned her and then back to Illidan. But I'll wait for you to talk to Caiaphas. We'll stay on high alert in case anything changes. I don't want to leave the Sound any more than Caiaphas does, but for the sake of the next generation, we might have to - temporarily. But I hear you, I understand the dangers, and it is a 'last resort' option.
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo
the frosty response did not go missed by the young man. he understood her worries, but he wanted her to realize just what she was saying. “if caiaphas wants war, then she will be the only one fighting it... and she will fail,” he answered curtly. that was the end of that conversation, he hoped. he did not want to squabble with the woman who had been held captive by the cliff wolves. he could not relate to the pain she had endured while away from her loved ones. illidan did not even know the full details of what she had been forced to live through.

it was firefly who managed to respond with an ounce of compassion and compromise. illidan did not want to ban them to the sound. he did not want their home to turn into a prison for those who had pledged themselves to it. he wanted only a chance to speak to the woman who had given birth to him. he hoped that their shared blood might provide some sort of sway with her mentality.

“i will speak to her immediately so that you are not left wondering or waiting. once i've gotten her to speak her plans, i'll return to you both and you can make your final decision at that point. my rounds to the border will increase in the meantime. the wolves from the cliff won't set foot on our land,” he promised in a haunted tone of voice. there was a grateful glance toward firefly in that moment. it was a silent breath of thanks that he would have never been able to put into words.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Straight up, she did not believe him.  But it didn't seem worth it to argue, and suddenly, she was extremely tired of this conversation.  Tired in general, really.

He'd talk to her, which would do nothing, and then they would do more nothing, and then next time they crossed paths, someone would end up dead.  They'd all end up dead.

Okay, was all she said, short and curt.  She was agitated, but the whole thing didn't have a clear answer.  That was the entire problem right? No solution seemed to be the right one for the majority of the pack, and she had no idea what to do about it.  Leaving was the only clear choice in her mind, but how did you explain that to wolves so rabidly in love with stretch of sand and a few old tunnels?
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
With nothing more to discuss, the trio separated. Illidan would go off to his mother's side as he'd mentioned; Rosalyn likely sought out Erzulie for commiseration, but Firefly wasn't certain. He watched them go, and when he was alone again he headed up the beach - to the dark forest - and lingered there, until his thoughts became heavy, and he departed from the packlands in search of clarity. At the very least, he needed to stretch his legs and get away from the insanity of everything for a while.