Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All Welcome 
The pups had been successfully moved to the rendezvous site. Masquerade offered their well-used hiding spot beneath the evergreen to the convalescent @Avicus. They spent their time out in the open, playing games with their younger siblings and occasionally taking them on short forays around the rise. They hoped that keeping them busy would expedite the Wealda’s recovery.

Today, they departed alone to hunt. A few hours later, Masque reappeared at the clearing with a bleeding rabbit twitching in their jaws. They held fast to the struggling creature, goldenrod eyes scanning the rendezvous site for any sign of the pups. When they didn’t see them right away, Masque sprawled on their belly and pinned the squirming lapin to the ground with their forelegs. Mouth freed, they called for the pups.

The instant one (or more) of them arrived, Masquerade would release the wounded hare for the young Redtails to chase.

ATTN: @Redsky @Mulherin @Fifth

I’ve made some assumptions here, based on the pups’ age (about nine weeks). If anyone has any concerns or questions, lemme know!
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Redsky was the first to arrive. The little boy was already very into the art of hunting and fighting. He had been amazed when he had watched his pack and the water wolves one hunt the buffalo, so when Masque called him over, with live prey, and released it, he was ready for the challenge. The lapin was injured, but he didn't care. He was going to hunt it! He had no real technique, so he stalked a bit towards it, before giving chase, wondering if his siblings would soon follow.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
It was odd to be out of the den, but he'd quickly gotten used to it,
preferred it, even.

After all, the Caru was doing a good job of keeping them active. Any time they returned to the rendezvous, he was always quick to investigate.

Despite the fun, he still knew there was something wrong with the Wealda, which distressed him innately. Often times he thought about going off to find her. Yet, he knew it was best not to stress her.

This afternoon, Masque's call—which sounded a bit more urgent than usual—broke the peace. He abandoned a large stick, which he had been gnawing on determinedly and was disheartened to let go of, and took his sweet time in making his way over. 

Though, once he saw they had a rabbit, he broke out into a run to get to their side as soon as possible. Upon release, he would pursue alongside Redsky.
[Image: 3-F65-E08-A-A70-E-4-B2-A-BE3-E-C6805-BA727-B2.png]
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Redsky and Mulherin appeared in quick succession, prompting Masquerade to let go of the rabbit. Despite its injuries, it attempted to bolt, leaving drops of blood in the dirt. The two boys immediately gave chase alongside one another.

They watched, silently cheering for their success. Masque idly wondered if it was inappropriate to have favorites among their younger siblings. They might never admit it out loud, yet they were particularly fond of these two. They were always ready to engage with the Caru, no matter what Masque brought to them.

Masque folded into the grass, forelegs outstretched and head upright as they followed the pair with their bright golden eyes.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Sky threw himself at the bleeding creature and attempted to bring it down with a tackle, eventually being able to pin it, but needing his brothers help to finish it off as he was occupied, as he was putting all his body weight into pinning it down
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
He was focused on running, running so fast that when Sky had stopped it, he practically flew past the two of them. Reeling, he dug his heels into the ground, pivoted, and pounced on the squirming creature—careful to avoid interfering with his brother's hold.

Once the rabbit was pinned, it screamed for mercy, wriggling to break free with all the life it had left. Though injured, it still put up quite the fight. He wasn't sure if the two of them could keep it from breaking free.

The Bearn fought his best, latching, adjusting, searching for a steady hold on the rabbit's windpipe.

This was much more intense than hunting butterflies.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
It didn’t take long for the boys to close in on the rabbit. They watched in fascination as Redsky threw his entire body weight at the poor thing, pinning it to the ground. It screamed and squirmed, at least until Mulherin put his teeth to it. Slowly, the cries grew weaker, more garbled…

The Caru swept back to their feet and ranged closer to the pups, tail waving approvingly. But had they finished off the rabbit or was it still hanging in there? It was hard to tell, with both Sky and Mul draped over top of it.

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
The rabbit was almost dead. Sky dug his claws into it where he was holding it to add to the bleeding and soon it twitched once or twice more, before lying still. Panting from the effort of holding the writing creature in place, the young boy released it from his grip and moved off of the bloodied prey. It was barely recognizable as once being a rabbit, but regardless, he was proud.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
He didn't know exactly when to let go. Seeing the rabbit flee and put up such a fight a few moments before made him doubt how easily it would give up. Still, he'd felt the energy leave its body as he clung on. But would it return? How could it be over that fast?

His brother seemed more confident they were finished.

Finally, he releases, catching his breath as he stares at the crumpled body beneath him.

Dead? He wonders aloud.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Dead, Masquerade said with certainty, now that the boys had released it and the bloodied rabbit lay motionless. Well done. Now enjoy your spoils.

They almost mentioned that they should share by splitting it into even halves, but Masque knew it was up to them to establish the pecking order among themselves. Once more, they relaxed into a seated position, curious to see if Redsky and Mulherin would decide to divide the kill equitably or if they might fight over it.

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Redsky was a nice brother, and he and Mul had worked together, so each should get an equal share. He split the meat in half and put one half in front of his brother, and, albeit trying to be fair, took the slightly bigger half for himself. He looked at Masque first though before starting to eat and said. "You want.. some?", wanting to be nice and offer.
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
His gaze left the rabbit for a moment as Masque approached.

Dead. It was dead.

He still wasn’t accustomed to the concept of dying. Death, sure, he knew the meat he ate came from somewhere. But dying? This was the first time he'd witnessed it. Caused it, even.

It was not sadness, but a subtle anxiety and confusion which he felt—beginning to eat away at him. 

The bloodied, mess of a rabbit would wake back up, wouldn't it?

He stepped back, staring at the carcass as Sky began divvying it up.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Sky proceeded to tear the rabbit into halves, offering one of them to Mulherin. Although it wouldn’t have been out of order for the boys to squabble over the food a bit, their tail tapped in approval. Cooperation always served the pack best.

But Mulherin took a step backward, as if he wasn’t interested in the meat. Perhaps he wasn’t hungry, though Masquerade sensed something amiss. They swept onto all fours again and moved closer, head lowering to look into their little brother’s face.

Did something happen during the struggle? Are you hurt? they pressed with gentle concern.

By the way, am I good to archive our older thread? :)

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Mulherin didn't seem interested in any food and Masque seemed worried for him about that, but frankly, Sky was hungry so he started to eat his portion while his older sibling checked on his little brother.

im cool w that as well
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
that's good with me!

He met Masque's gaze, head tilted, devoid of any particular emotion. 

His head was caught in a fog of questions he couldn't begin to voice. Such as, when did the rabbit turn from rabbit to food? The particular words eluded him.

It hit him then. That, in a way, this was just the way things were.

Knowledge of the world that he was hopelessly thrown into was already hardwired somewhere deep inside him.

in time, he'd uncover it.

Still, he was on the precipice of asking a question, but seeing Redsky scarf down soon to be his portion made him bury any tepidity. He shook his head in reply, brushing off the Caru, and greedily barged in to tear away at the carcass.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Nothing seemed amiss with him, at least outwardly. Masque withdrew about half a foot and crouched to gaze into Mulherin’s face, trying to read the look in his eye. He returned her gaze and Masque’s roved searchingly, though still they could not quite discern what bothered their little brother.

What is it? they coaxed in their deep voice, though his lips—momentarily parted as if to ask a question—pressed together and his eyes cut away.

And then he was loping over to wrestle his half of the kill from Redsky. Masquerade straightened and looked after him, tail giving a few pensive twitches. But all seemed well again with both boys, so the Caru decided not to dwell on it.

I’m going to check on mother. I’ll tell her you two made a kill, Masquerade announced, leaving the pups to their meal as they sought the Wealda.

Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Redsky stepped aside, giving Mul his have of the rabbit, being hungry but knowing to share, and then finished his piece. He sat there, bored though, waiting from his brother to finish so maybe they could play. 

last from me
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
244 Posts
Ooc — April
fade here?

The boy was young and his thoughts flipped at the drop of a hat. Any sense of unenthusiasm and confusion was wiped away in the heat of competition for his share of the kill— o which, Sky didn't put up a fuss, and seemed to oblige.

And with that, the Caru was off.

After finishing, he chewed away at the bones of the carcass. Only inedible scraps would be left for his other siblings.

The remaining afternoon would be ripe with the brothers' usual rendezvous antics.