Shadewood We are in the war.
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
429 Posts
Ooc —
Conception 
I think, Riley announced one morning, propping his head up with an elbow as the lukewarm sun spilled into the den — That a little girl would be nice.

He looked over to @Masquerade as she laid draped over him. And maybe a little brother that she could keep in line. He nibbled affectionately at her cheek before adding a luxurious stretch and a grunt. How are you feeling?

He meant, of course, the wounds on her hip — but it was also a question to gauge how Masque was doing in the aftermath of her awful skirmish in the wildwoods.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Her mate’s voice pierced the veil of sleep, yanking her into the waking world. At first, she wanted to answer his question by telling him she felt grumpy at being woken up like that. But then her nightmare rushed back and she could only feel grateful he’d interrupted it.

Masque swallowed thickly as she pushed slowly upright, head arching skyward in a deep stretch. She hadn’t actually processed most of what he’d said, so she took a moment to blink sleepily at him and replay Riley’s words in her mind.

Still muzzy, Masquerade decided it was too early for anything but naked honesty and replied through a yawn, I want all boys.

A bird trilled on a branch overhead, jarring her further awake. Out of habit, she glanced down at her right thigh. It still hurt. Masque knew their extracurricular activities weren’t helping with that, no matter how much care they took.

Thinking about that made her slide her eyes to Riley’s face. He gave her every ounce of his attention and still her lust was insatiable. She licked her lips, wondering if it was too early for such vigorous activity.

Then her stomach growled and she was forced to acknowledge, I’m ravenous.

It wasn’t surprising. She was placing many demands on her body, trying to create life and heal a serious wound. Masque frowned lightly, wondering if the two of them should give it a rest. They’d trysted countless times since their wet and wild foray, so surely it had taken…
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
429 Posts
Ooc —
Riley didn’t catch he’d stirred her from a nightmare — but he did catch he’d woken her from sleep. Tiredness clung to the corner of her eyes, and he could sense rather than say with specificity that her body was on the cusp of exhaustion. 

He felt guilty for waking her - for imposing on what should have been rest. All boys would be nice too. As a bird trilled loudly outside, Riley reined in his thoughts about tiny children and focused on the present. 

The grumble of her stomach had Riley carefully extricating himself from her limbs. She hardly finished saying she was hungry before he was peering outside of the den, measuring the early morning weather. What would you like?

A certain disquiet had crept into Riley. He worried for Masque — and that worry conveyed into being at her beck and call far more urgently than usual.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Riley agreed with her, then leaped to his feet, clearly ready to wait on her hand and foot. Masque shot him a grateful smile, though a furrow appeared between her eyes. She held out a foreleg, tapping his shoulder in a signal to hold on a minute.

Hey, you’re allowed to have a different opinion, she told him affectionately. It’s not like either one of us has any control over it. But if you hope for a little girl, then don’t let me stop you.

As for her appetite, Masquerade hoisted onto all fours with a grunt. She couldn’t hunt for herself in this condition, at least not without risking further injury. And with her mate to help her, why would she do that? All the same, Riley was her partner, not her servant.

Why don’t we just find something in a cache? I’m not picky.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
429 Posts
Ooc —
How about, Riley held off from moving, pulled back by Masque’s gentle tap on his shoulder. He contorted to plant a kiss on her forehead affectionately: I want for both? Cause then, no matter what, I’m happy. He shifted, carefully stepping over Masque’s limbs as to not disturb them.

It pained him to see Masque in pain - though he was sure she hurt more for it. As she grunted and rose to all fours, Riley glanced down and out of the den. The bird that trilled moments before was silent now. Maybe it’d seen the two predators stirring from their den.

The cache wasn’t too far off, and wasn’t a bad idea — but Riley hated the idea of his lady eating something cold. Are you thirsty? How about breakfast and a show by the stream? He couldn’t help the playful smile as he glanced back to her — maybe watching him struggle to fish would brighten her day — and plus, she could bathe the wounds in the cold stream while he hunted.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Can’t argue with that logic, she replied with a smile.

Meanwhile, she didn’t elaborate on her own answer. Perhaps it was stupid but she couldn’t help but think of how it had been feminine instincts that had driven a wedge between herself and Redd. She’d had that same nightmare about her sister last night, the one where the Wealda slew her after shouting, “We are one!”

Riley’s voice distracted her and Masquerade arched an eyebrow as she echoed, And a show? What kind of show?

Her mind, of course, went to a very dirty place.

Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
429 Posts
Ooc —
Riley grinned, setting out another big stretch in the pool of sunlight just out the den. He happened to think his girl/boy logic was infallible, and it pleased him to hear Masque could find no flaw in it.

As he turned back around to see how she was progressing, he fancied he saw a dark shadow flit across the merlot mask painting her face. Riley couldn’t read minds, but he paused.

Whatever it was, it was gone in seconds. He offered a shoulder to her as she hobbled forward. Well, have you ever seen me fish? Trust me, you’ll laugh. While his mind didn’t happen to go anywhere frisky, he wouldn’t have minded a different kind of show later on.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
When Riley stepped out of the den and stretched in the sunlight, Masquerade groaned. She’d always wanted him, yet not like this. Her entire body flushed with desire, from the tips of her ears to the tip of her overlong tail. Her expression darkened as even dirtier images flirted through her mind.

Her golden eyes blinked almost owlishly when he joked about fishing. Masque opened her mouth to make some ribald joke when his words suddenly stoked her memory. In all the fuss upon her return, she’d almost forgotten all about her discovery.

I found a rock wall out west, she told him, leaning against his preferred shoulder, and there was this waterfall. Riley, it was so beautiful… and secluded. A perfect little getaway spot, if not for the murderous bitch who’d nearly ruined it all.

But she was dead now, Masque reminded herself with a slight pit in her stomach. She wouldn’t be able to venture out of Shadewood safely anytime soon, though she refused to let the memory of that random attack spoil this treasure.

Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
429 Posts
Ooc —
Riley would have enjoyed a ribald joke or two — their playful banter always brought a smile to his face. Their love was so pure — so saccharine and dripping — that sometimes he couldn’t believe it was really him living it.

As they walked towards the water, Masque spoke of a secluded waterway that opened into the mouth of a frothing waterfall. Riley could picture it in his head; a misty forest that opened way to a gulch, where water poured down in galloping white rivulets.

Was this before or after you were attacked? He mused, nibbling the edge of her cheek as they grew closer to the water’s edge. Maybe she didn’t want others knowing about that beautiful spot. That had to be the reason, right? It still blew his mind that anyone would attack without provocation — look at what that had cost her, too.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Before. She attacked me when I was coming home, Masque murmured.

The feel of his muscles rolling under his warm fur made her want to stop him and insist he ravish her on the spot. She cast her senses in other directions, searching for a distraction.

The woods were noisy in a pleasant sort of way, filled with the chatter of animals. Everywhere her golden gaze landed, she saw signs of spring taking hold. The smell of blossoms mingled with all the other rich, earthy fragrances drifting through their home.

It really was beautiful and I can’t wait to take you there. But nothing compares to this place, Masquerade observed on an exhale, you know?

She paused as a giddy feeling skipped through her stomach now. Masque’s eyes traced over the cut of Riley’s jawbone and she thought, He’s not just my mate anymore; now he’s the father of my children too. The thought drew her closer, her nose touching his cheek.

None of this has been easy, she murmured against his cheekbone, but I know it’s worth it. I regret nothing.

Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
429 Posts
Ooc —
It still bewildered Riley that Masque had been attacked. What if the other wolf won out? He exhaled shakily as he looked at the goldcoin gaze of his mate; he’d stood to lose everything, and he hadn’t even known.

Riley couldn’t envision this beautiful escapade. Any time he imagined it, he saw hungering eyes darken the shadows - what malice hid behind each rock, what menace would spring from the blackness next?

He gasped softly as Masque thrust herself towards his cheekbone. An alien sense of apprehension and anticipation gripped him as he forgot about his offer to fish momentarily, turning his muzzle along Masque’s cheek and neck in a drawn out exhale. it’s all worth it. He murmured back, placing a gentle kiss along the stop of her forehead. Maybe this beautiful spot you found can be our hunty-moon spot next year.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Her eyes glimmered when Riley mentioned the waterfall could make for a good vacation destination. She liked the thought of annual getaways, though Masque wondered if they might take their children with them. It was kind of delightful, musing about such futures plans and possibilities.

That reminds me, she said after a few moments of happy pondering, I visited the pack living on the plateau east of here and spoke to its leader, Rodyn. He said quite a few interesting things, including inviting us to join him on a traders’ trip in the fall. I thanked him for the offer but told him I wasn’t sure we could commit to something like that so far in advance.

She tipped her head to regard Riley’s expression as she disseminated this information. Masquerade had gleaned quite a lot from her various talks of alliances, though she still wasn’t sure quite what would suit their up-and-coming pack. She was still sorting out her personal preferences on how she wanted to run this place. She knew she would carry over some practices from the rise, for instance, but shirk many others.

Her long tail switched as her stomach interrupted the conversation with a loud, comical string of burbles and squeaks.

Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
429 Posts
Ooc —
There were many things about Masque that Riley adored, but her willingness to branch out and interact with strangers was at the forefront. Riley was not so extroverted — he passed his gaze over her in quiet admiration, nursing a small smile.

He wondered what the fall would bring. Would their children be old enough to travel? The thought of them — merely a concept now — as tangible beings with their own interests and personalities made his heart flutter.

Riley reached out to Masque’s cheek with a soft brush of his nose. That would be a fun adventure for the kids, if they’re old enough. He was about to point out that some novel situations might be good for them when Masque’s stomach gurgled loudly. Okay, I get it. Riley nipped her cheek gently and pulled away, albeit reluctantly. Time to get m’lady lunch before she starts looking at me like a snack.

He canted his hips to the side as he walked, peering back once so she could catch the flirtatious glint in his gaze. He sucked in his breath as the cold water nipped his heels, ears straining as he watched the murky depths for any sign of a ripple.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Way too late for that, Masque playfully scoffed under her breath, though she obediently fell into step as Riley finished leading the way toward the creek.

Perhaps he wasn’t the most adept fisherman, though she really wouldn’t know the difference. It was delightful watching her mate focus on his task. There were other words for it too, which made her eyes darken with lust. Just as soon as she fed one appetite, she would have to appease another…

A twinge in her hip distracted her. She looked down and saw a fly near her broken flesh. Masquerade snapped at it, then watched the insect zoom away with squinted eyes. She decided to get in the water to block access to the wound and help manage the pain.

She hated to move away from the lovely view, though she ventured a little downstream to avoid disrupting Riley’s endeavor. Masque waded into the water and sighed as she gingerly lowered herself onto her good hip, shuffling to submerge her torn thigh as well.

Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
429 Posts
Ooc —
Riley grinned as he forded the water. More than once he swung his posterior her way, so she might admire the ample curves of his figure — especially while his fur was wet. Nevermind he looked like a drowned rat as he trawled the river surface.

Just as Masque padded downriver to rest her flank in the coldspring, Riley caught a disturbance by the reeds. He walked towards it carefully, placing one foot gingerly in front of the other, his neck craned in the manner of a heron.

For several passing seconds the only thing that moved was the river around them — then, he dove for the water.

It wasn’t a fish Riley emerged with, but a fat and bulbous bullfrog that had woken from brumation due to the brief lapse in winter weather. He swung the thing back towards Masque, offering it by one dangly leg.
Pledged
Dragonspine
861 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
She knew fishing required patience, more so on Riley’s part than her own. She waited in silence, mostly watching him but often casting her senses out toward their surroundings. She was in a decidedly vulnerable state and wanted to stay on high alert.

Fortunately, nothing interrupted their quiet past time. Riley made a catch and sloshed over to present it to her just as Masque tucked a yawn behind a dripping forepaw. She grinned at him apologetically, putting her foot down to snatch the frog from his mouth. It never hit the water again, as the she-wolf gulped it down like some fanged pelican.

Thank you, she murmured, licking her chops. How can I ever repay you? she teased, rubbing her nose along the seam of his lips.

She wondered if Riley intended to fish more and whether he’d mind a brief interlude before he went back to it. Masquerade could definitely eat more, though now that the edge had been taken off her hunger, her much more venereal appetite refused to be ignored.

Pledged
Dragonspine
fine as any blade
429 Posts
Ooc —
He’d considered throwing the meal at her face, as was custom — but he remembered Masque’s injury and so refrained.

She snatched the frog and in a single gulp it was wolfed down — Riley’s tail wagged as she brushed her nose along his lips and gave a teasing thanks.

I can think of a few ways. Riley planned to fish more, but seeing the way the water held down Masque’s fur and outlined her seductive silhouette, he was suddenly seized by a different kind of hunger.

He stepped around where Masque was laying and made to step over her, his teeth grooming the back of her neck suggestively. Pulling Masque close, he breathed in rhythm with her, waiting for the bend of her back to press against him before he moved further.

Meanwhile, the rest of the frogs looked on horrified as Riley and Masquerade pursued a different species of appetite in the shallows.