Wild Berry Meadow The only thing on my mind
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
All Welcome 
It had been more than a week, since Wraen had left Moonspear without a second glance back, and now that she was standing in the Wild Berry Meadow and looking over to the mountain range looming in the distance, she realized that they had not put that much distance between their new place of residence and their former home. She had heard from snippets of conversations between Terance, Rannoch and Liffey that well-intended "farewells" had not gone that smoothly and that there were hurt feelings on the other side. Technically Moonspear's leaders and subordinates weren't their friends anymore. 

Wraen did not have much regrets about leaving, but she felt sorry for Terance, who had worked very hard for months to get as far as he had, only to leave everything and start fresh. Ever since their argument on the evening of them leaving, she had not talked to him about, how he felt about it now, and apologize for her outburst then. But now she was eager to make it up to him. And conversations always go better, if you have something on the table, right?

The hare she had been observing from afar, had drawn closer without taking notice of the predator that was lying nearby. Wraen sprang to her feet and went after the little rodent, who after a moment of surprise went running for his life.
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away
In the hope to train her leg, Nara left her new mountain home to go for a hike. The wound had fully healed, but now her leg felt stiff and weak. Getting it back in action again seemed like a good idea. It was a good day to travel too. Although it was still cold, the sun shone bright and the world seemed at peace. 
Nara breathed in the early spring air. She smelled the greenery and a variety of animals. There was a faint familiar smell too, but Nara couldn't immediately place it. Suddenly, a movement caught her eye. It was a hare. She instinctively crouched down between the bushes, ears forward. As she crept closer, the scent she had smelled before became more apparent. She hesitated, her eyes still fixed on the hare. A moment later, a grey colored wolf jumped up from the bushes, startling both Nara and the hare. It was Wraen. Dazed, she watched Wraen trail after the hare before she decided to run after it herself.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
It was exhilarating to run in full speed, experience guessing the hare's next moves correctly and adjusting her own accordingly, and moment by moment catching up with the fleeing animal. At one point it's hindquarters were almost within her reach and she reached to grab it, but her teeth snapped in thin air, because the prey had made a sudden turn to the right, making Wraen lose precious seconds.

However, all was not lost, because there was another wolf running with the same target in sight and it was about to cross paths with her.

We can diceroll, through the next posts - if they catch it or not.
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away

The hare was fast, but Wraen was quickly closing the gap between her and the animal. Running alongside the other wolf stimulated Nara to go faster. Target in sight, she felt ablaze. Wraen was so close now. But then missed it by a millimeter as the hare made a sharp right. Right towards Nara. 
Fueled by the scent of fear and a victory in sight, Nara rushed after the hare. She was really close now. With a giant leap, she jumped on top of the creature. She was able to get it between her paws, nails digging into its flanks. As it tried to struggle itself free, the animal managed to hit her right in the muzzle with one of its powerful legs. Dazed by the impact, she loosened her grip only for a moment. A moment too long. The hare had already disappeared from her paws.

Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Odds are not in Wraen's favor either. Your turn next. :)

There were 30 seconds, when Wraen felt almost victorious, because the hare had escaped one wolf, but had run straight in the waiting paws and jaws of the other. Her hunting partner managed to pin the creature down, but it's will to live was stronger. It squeezed through the smallest gap and kicked the predator in the face along the way. 

Well, such an insult to the wolf-kind required that certain measures were taken. She was back in action again, now choosing to run paralell to the hare rather than right after it. When the moment felt right, Wraen made a sharp turn and attempted to cut the hare's path, but once again, it changed the trajectory of it's flight and now was running in Nara's direction again.
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away
Dice roll -  no luck again ):

Luckily, after the hare had escaped Nara's paws, Wraen was already back on track. Nara shook her head to lessen the sting of the blow. She quickly got to her feet again and hurried after the pair. 
Although chasing the animal was all fun and games in the beginning, it had become serious when the hare decided to kick her in the nose. Now Nara was even more determined to catch it and when it made a different turn than Wraen, she might have a chance to do so, as it was now running in her direction.
Nara dashed forward and came closer with every step. But as luck would have it, her bad leg gave out for a second and she almost collided with the ground. As she tried to steady herself again, the hare had already gained on her. Fortunately Wraen was nearby.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Odds in our favour!!!

Nara had been about to catch the quick lagomorph, but stumbled and missed it by a whisker, however, Wraen had learned from her earlier mistake and was already nearby to pick up the chase withouth giving their prey another head-start. She cut it's way and with a well-aimed pounce she pinned the creature to the ground. A moment later she snapped it's neck, finishing the hunt.

However, instead of gloating over her succesful kill, Wraen looked over to the other wolf calling: "You alright?"
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away

I'm fine. Good job! Nara called back as she trotted over to Wraen, who had skillfully managed to catch and kill the hare. I guess my leg wasn't up to that much running yet, she added with an apologetic smile. She looked at the dead animal. Its ear twitched once more before it was completely still. Good riddance.
Since you killed it, I think it's only fair that you get to have it, Nara said looking at the hare again. Although they only just met, she already liked Wraen. Nara had really enjoyed their hunting intermezzo and she thought they were a good team.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"What happened to it?" Wraen asked, trying to pinpoint, which limb was to blame for the girl's failed sprint, and having no luck in it, because they all looked the same to her. Pretty paws though. 

"Unless you want to take it by force, which would be very rude," she added and measured her would-be-opponent in another dimension, where an actual fight would take place. Being no skilled fighter of her own, it was yet hard to tell, whether she would be able to take her or not. 

"But - since I don't know you well, and you don't know me well, but we are going to live in the same pack for a long time - I suggest we bind our friendhip - ship, whatever - here and now," Wraen said. "You take the half you like better and I will take the other," she stepped aside and let Nara choose.

I will assume that they know each other by name, but have not yet had a chance to speak eye-to-eye.
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away

That was a kind offer. Although Wraen did call her potentially rude, but she decided to let that slide. Seeing as they had never actually spoken to each other, she couldn't blame Wraen for assuming she might not be nice. Besides, she wasn't good at fighting anyway. 
With her head tilted, she inspected the animal. We'll split it down the middle, she decided eventually, that way we both get the fleshy part,. She placed a paw on the animal's back and ripped off a part of its hindleg with her teeth. As she made herself comfortable in the grass, Nara answered Wraen's first question. I hurt it when I was running through the woods, the day I met Rannoch, she said with a small nod to her right front paw, There was a low, and apparently very sharp, branch sticking out that I didn't see. It was quite a deep cut and then Rannoch found me and patched me up,. Now that she thought about it, she was actually really grateful that it was Rannoch who had followed her blood trail and not some other predator, looking for an easy kill. The wound has fully healed on the outside, but I have a feeling that my leg is more damaged than it looks, she added with a concerned look at her leg.

Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"That's so not cool," Wraen agreed and nodded sympathetically. Wolf's four feet were the bread-winners and guarantee for safe escape. Take one out and you already lost points in the survival game. 

"Let us know, if you need any help or something," she could not make Nara's leg better, but she could be of assistance in other ways. And since the other she-wolf was a part of the family now, Wraen thought she should reassure her that she would not be left behind or thrown out, in case the leg got worse. 

"Tell me about yourself - I don't think I got to find out, where you came from and how you found us."
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away

Let us know if you need any help, Wraen had said. It was the way she had said it that made Nara smile and already feel at home. After a really long time, she finally had a home again. A family of friends.
From the day she left her homeland until now, she hadn't talked about her past to anyone. And now Wraen was asking about it. When she thought about her answer, a sadness welled up inside her. She looked at her paws so Wraen couldn't read her face. Its not really an interesting story... she started and then hesitated. Maybe she would feel better if she shared it with Wraen. I was born in the North, in a pack, but... I never really got the chance to meet any of them. My mother left me behind to die before I was old enough to remember anything. Nara continued. Saying it out loud, the words felt like daggers. After all this time, they still stung. Then my surrogate mother found me and cared for me, but after her litter was born I left. It was for the better. I could never really be family to her like those pups would, anyway. And then... then I wandered until I met Rannoch, I guess. she said. In a way, she had lost her mother twice and it had hurt the second time just as much as the first. It still did. But she was glad she had found a new family.
Nara let out a slow breath, trying to steady her voice. And now you. She said eventually, trying to sound more cheerful and she nudged the other wolf with her muzzle. What's your story? 

Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen regretted she had even asked, because it was obvious that Nara did not like recalling her past and that there was a lot more behind that overall description of her origins and her finding Sunspire later. She was at a loss of what to say now, because "I am sorry" was a very worn-out phrase and could sound condescending as well. Therefore she opted not to say anything and simply tell a little about her own adventures.

"I was born somewhere here in a pack called Donnelaith. My parents decided to head South in autumn, because my mom had poor health, therefore we spent most of the time as nomads, moving from one place to the other, until finally in spring my family found a place they decided to call their home," she said, recalling fondly the old forest, the numerous creeks that had criscrossed the area and the meadows. Nothing like Sunspire here. "And after my brother Terance decided to find his luck in the world, I followed shortly. Found him in another pack and now we are here."
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away
Nara was grateful that Wraen didn't press for more details. She wanted to sound breezy about her past but failed miserably, she hated that she spoiled the mood a little with her sob story. Nara was an optimist at heart but sometimes feelings would get in the way and ruin everything. Though, her surrogate mother had told her once that disclosing something personal and genuine to someone is a good way to start a friendship. So she had at least that.
Wraen answered with a story of her own and Nara listened closely. Looks like you and Terance have a strong bond, then. she responded eventually. 
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"He will go to the grave with me - whether he wants it or not," Wraen replied with a good natured grin. When she looked at the whole picture, despite their obvious differences the three siblings of Osprey's first litter, were pretty close to each other. Maybe because of that long journey during their first year of life that had taught them to stick together and look out for each other. 

"But I sincerely hope to bond with the rest of the Sunspire wolves in a similar way. It is amazing to have a friend you can trust and who has your back," she said. "What are you interested in - trade-wise, free-time wise, likes and all those things?"
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away
I know what you mean, Nara said, but honestly, she didn't know. Although, she could imagine having a friendship like that, she never had someone who she fully trusted and could rely on. The connection Nara had with her surrogate mother wasn't the same as the feeling Wraen described. Somehow, she had always felt out of place, like she didn't belong. And like Wraen, Nara hoped to find such a bond here at the Sunspire.
Well, I like hunting. The small and fast ones, not the big ones, she said with a smile. So I would like earn a trade as a trapper, Nara added confidently. But I'll definitely need more training first, though - You seem like quite an experienced hunter, so if you could ever find the time to teach me anything, I'd really appreciate it, she added. 
Oh, and I like poetry and old stories. Also flowers, she said. She wanted to tell her what her favorite flower was, but ultimately, she couldn't choose. It was probably the white morning glory. What about you?
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"A fellow hunter - that is simply amazing," Wraen was happy to hear this, because, while Rannoch and Terance were good at being brawny and strong, the pack needed a team of good and quick-witted hunters that could work like a clock-work. She had got the right feeling at Moonspear, when she had hunted with Dune, and hoped that she would find just as good partner in Nara. Time would tell.

"Well, I am not much older than you, therefore I am learning the trade as well. But we can hunt together - it's always a lot more fun that way," she said. "I like stories - another check mark on your list," she added with a good-natured grin. "Can't say that I understand much of poetry, but I am a becoming a history nerd - this place, with so many packs around is rich with old tales and stories."
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away

Nara was pleased with Wraen's reaction. Now more then ever, she was motivated to get her first trade. She already looked forward to her next hunt with Wraen. Even though she liked the mountain, sometimes it was nice to get away from it for awhile and run through high grasses and sandy trails. Also, rocks just weren't the best surface for hunting. 

Nara had only been here for a few months and she realized she didn't really know anything about the packs in the area. She recalled hearing names like Tindómë and Moonspear, but if anyone would ask her about them, she wouldn't know what to say. Could you tell me a story about your old pack? She asked Wraen, suddenly curious.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Which one of them?" Wraen asked, because... she furrowed her brow, while she counted, there had been three of them. And though memories of Donnelaith were very foggy, the stories her mother had told her filled the gaps nicely. Then there was her family group, followed closely by Moonspear. And now this. 

"I have lived in three," she clarified, in case her question had confused the other party.
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away

Nara hadn't realized that Wraen had been in three packs. She didn't seem that much older than her. It made her think about what reasons she would have had to leave. Everyone's got their own story and their own reasons, I guess, Nara thought. 

It did make her all the more curious You tell me she answered, which has the most interesting stories?.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Hmmm... Well, I do not remember much from Donnelaith - that was, where I was born - I was pretty young, when we left the pack," Wraen said and with a furrowed brow tried to recall anything from that time. The memories were very foggy and filled with tall dark shapes of people she did not know. 

"My family lived as nomads for most of my first year and we traveled to many different places," she explained. "Once we came close to a place, where big, fat deer were kept - and some thousand of them at least!" the girl was referring to cows and since she had little understanding about numbers that exceeded 20, anything beyond that was considered a lot or any other random number. 

"And I remember seeing odd looking wolves - some of them as small as dwarves - and they made such a noise, when they saw us. I wonder, what they live on, because I can't imagine anyone hunting and yapping at the same time," and here she had already forgotten about, how she and Finley had intended to chase a cougar out.
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away
Sorry for making you wait!

That's quite an eventful past. Nara said, clearly impressed by Wraen's stories. It was clear that she had experienced a lot in a relatively short time. Nara wondered what it would be like to live als a nomad, it must be an adventure for sure. I wish I could tell you something about my life but there really isn't anything interesting she said with a humble smile. Her life had been quite boring actually, but she hoped that being in this pack would change that. 

She sat there quietly for a moment, pondering about what Wraen had said. If you could go back, would you? I mean, if you could have stayed anywhere on your journey, would you rather be there or here at the Sunspire? Nara asked after a while. It was a spontaneous question, but after she gave it another thought, she realized that her question might have been too invasive.

Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
When Wraen looked back at her life there were very few regrets of things she had done and choices she had made. At some point she had stopped blaming her past-self for the mistakes that could have been avoided her reasoning being - at that time, under those circumstances it had been the right thing to do. 

"I was very close with my mother - I sometimes wish that she and my family were closer to me than they are now," she chose the most truthful reply. "Then I could go and visit her and Terance would spared all of my angry and emotional outbursts," because then it would always be someone wiser to ask those important questions. 

"But I am content to be here as well - everything is new and I am looking forward to having many more adventures with the new folk," Wraen finished on a happier not. "If you are done eating - we can head back to Sunspire - I was planning to look for some suitable cache spots and you are very welcome to join me."

Fade out in your next post?
149 Posts
Ooc — Khalysa
Away

Yes, I'm done she said and stood up. And I'll help you with the caches Nara added. She had enjoyed her day with Wraen. It was nice to get to know more wolves of the pack and she had liked listening to Wraen's stories.

It was already getting late. The sun hung low in the sky - its rays grazed the treetops and illuminated the Sunspire like a beacon. It stirred something inside her and suddenly she couldn't wait to be back. 

Let's go home.