Firefly Glen make it make sense
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
All Welcome 
Full dark had just arrived and the glen lived up to its name all sparkling with fireflies. The moon, heading on its way towards full, hung low in the hazy, humid skies too but as he ranged on, he was not feeling all too placated by nature's sights. His hunts had brought him off the mountain for the first time in a long time, and evidently, it wasn't settling as well with him. The air felt so heavy, so stifling. Was it always like this? Had he really been away that long? He felt it worse than ever now, so maybe it was just the summer warmth not helping much, and was determined to just adjust with a little patience, the key to nearly everything in the end.

He went striding onward on the prowl, his body stretched long and low into the shadows of the night. He jogged at a comfortable-looking rhythm, but his head swam anxiously as he did. Without a better directive in mind besides the vague goals of scouting and hunting all on guard for Moonspear's cause, he decided to head north towards the waterway.. and hopefully by then, he could get himself back into a good groove that felt right to him.
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Almost a year ago Wraen had met Charon at the glen and both he and later on Rannoch and Terance had forbidden her to come here. On basis that the relationships between the two packs had already been bad and did not need to be worsened. But, as her path led away from the coastal area, further inlands and, when she caught sight of the little star-bugs dancing in the glen, she saw no harm in stopping by to enjoy the view. The king of the mountain was dead and the conflict between Sunspire and Moonspear had died with the former's move to a different valley. 

The sight was so beautiful and perfect... it felt more otherworldly than real. Life had a way of still surprising Wraen and the only regrets she had about this very moment was that she could not share it with Maia. She would be so excited to see this. Soon, however, she became aware of an invisible comet passing through the firefly dustcloud. It was dark, her eyesight was not the best and by sniffing and listening intently she tried to pinpoint the offender.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
If anything, unquestionably, he was able to take his comforts from the night. He slid onward effortlessly, all despite his inner turmoil, and from each shadow to the next, he had that age-old grace etched into his every move like he was some natural. But, he wasn't feeling able to appreciate it wholly, not when his nose swung towards a scent on his way--strange, at first of course.. but soon vaguely familiar then the longer he was able to process it. Wait..?

He kept the last few strides just as long as he before, and honed in on her with his ears pressed fully forward. I know you..right? His squint and expression seemed to worry, or maybe he was bothered by how heavy the air felt still.. but he was sorting easily through the shadows too, and that was the pack scent of Clover, Colt, and Maia--the first wolf Jarilo had seen outside the family after his parents had plummeted right out of his life like that. Anyway, he stepped closer with the appearance of a particularly guarded glide, though his shoulders seemed awfully tense--somehow more than a little contradictory as his tail swung questionably through the air. Hey.. he chuffed, interrupting or not. Looking for something? he guessed, generalizing it enough. She was probably just passing through, anyway, which so was he technically.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen was startled, when she realized, that the stranger was coming right at her at considerable speed. Too close for her to outrun him, therefore she sat down and with her ears pressed back to her skull, ears narrowed to slits and with a warning growl ready, she faced the would-be-opponent. 

However, up on close he did not seem to have any ill intentions in mind. More curious instead, which was just the signal she needed to ease up herself and listen to his inquiry in polite interest. Something in the way he spoke, hinted her that he was not asking merely because he used to do it often. 

She pondered on his question and then with a kind smile replied: "You. And you came as fast as you could."
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He knew very well exactly how it felt to be snuck up on, or closed in on by such a shadow-turned-tangible, and though her expression softened with the moments to follow the start he gave her, he still couldn't deny the glimmer of satisfaction he felt deep down to have seen it. All the same, he knew it had been a gamble on his part that she wouldn't immediately come after him—hence an unclear understanding thanks to how young he had been when her group had left Moonspear, but hence his tensions strung up tight and ready to snap. It didn't feel like it would take long to do it, either, and not at all thanks to anything as old as that. He, at least, was present.

But, his head canted subtly and he couldn't help but toy with a hint of a smirk. How do you know that was as fast as I could? he snickered, almost able to flaunt a touch of humor along with a bit of familiar pride then. Anyway, he tried to keep the momentum going, at least with an amble of a walk. But really. Why me? It's a nice night out, he gestured, ahead and above as the fireflies glimmered, mesmerizing on the balmy summer's air, before turning back to Wraen. He wasn't all there could be.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"How do you know you did not?" Wraen tilted her head to the side and took time to collect all the details about the young man before her. He could not be much older than her and he bore resemblance of the Moonspear's queen (she was unaware that Amekaze had perished alongside her mate). Maybe because of the cool green shade of his eyes, maybe the miniscule details of his expression and the way he carried himself. Or maybe she was entirely mistaken - after having seen and met many Moonspear wolves she saw similarities in them, where there weren't any. 

"I asked for company and here you are," she spinned the tale. "I am not going to scorn a god's given gift, even if I expected a hero clad in white riding atop a moose."
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
When she turned his first question back onto him, he just smirked a bit but let it go--mostly. Just a good feeling, he answered back, and gave a soft gesture to lift his snout, kind of having it slide into a nod at the end, though. But, he was definitely company, and that he wasn't going to argue. If that was what she set out to do here, then so be it. Fair, he replied, tail waving this time too as it occurred to him that this could be a welcome distraction while he checked her marker for company at least. Already with his body in motion, he had little to complain about anyway, or dwell on because he was curious about her and what it was she truly sought.

So I was heading north. Scouting, I guess. I haven't been down in a long time, actually. the steely Ostrega detailed. Were you heading anywhere? he asked, harmlessly enough. If so he'd adjust course accordingly.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Well, as a matter of fact I came down here to enjoy the fireflies," Wraen beckoned to the little dancing lights around them. Come to think of it, if she were to return to Firebirds by dawn, she should get on moving now. It was not a very long way, but not a short-cut either. Plus, there were the forming packs to consider and the associated detours accordingly.

"But I also happen to live northwards, so I can accompany you and share useful scouting information, if you wish, of course," she got to her feet, stretched and prepared to take leave. Even if he declined her offer, they would still have a stretch of road to walk together. "I am Wraen - what codename you run by?" she asked, smiling kindly.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
She mentioned the namesake fireflies, and there was no part him that was able object to that as his eyes followed the twirling trails of some nearby ones. Valid enough answer, so he could only nod. They are worth it, he agreed through a soft sigh of a breath. But that sounds good. I'm not really.. aiming anywhere in particular, or for any real true need besides.. out, about. To see if anything new has gone on, or if any interest catches me... While his stare had narrowed, his ears splayed awkwardly out--which were more meant to say he appreciated her offer to share scouting know-how, but he just had to feel it out for himself most of all as well.

However, where his words were less clear and muddied up by his feelings, his willingness to accompany her said that he was due for some company as he joined up beside her.

Wraen, he knew, and the dark Ostrega felt an ear of his turn forward over codename. He only had one true answer, one he would ever consider actually providing but something about it spurred him elsewhere--remembering very suddenly the odd murmurs to him he had caught from his mother's tongue, or fond nicknames his father had placed upon his head, to a star that was his right to claim. They all came to mind, effectively distracting him--but this was right was he was looking to outrun here, desperate to gain some traction on coping with this. I'm Jarilo, he answered, maybe a touch abruptly for just a name, and a mere introduction.

With that he pushed forward for a few longer strides, a little faster, more.. He turned a short grin over his shoulder, towards Wraen, then breathed deep the crisp dusk; he wanted to be glad he was out, and not force it.. hopefully, in time, he would.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Jarilo had been a mere kid, when Wraen had first joined Moonspear, and while his face had not rung a bell right away, she did recognize his name. Yet again there was a fleeting moment of tension on her side, while she wondered, what would he do with the information she had provided. Hurt the pride of one Ostrega wolf, you hurt the pride of them all. That's, what she had learned. On the other hand - the younger generation (Vela and Arcturus) did not behold to their ancestor conflicts. Not strictly at least. 

He did not object to her company and she was glad to have him as a travel-buddy. She eased in a stride that matched his and, when he quickened his step, going past her, a challenge-accepted kind of grin appeared. With a quiet wuff she accelerated, made an abrupt U-turn, stopped in a play-bow, inviting him for a game of chase, and then dashed off again. With her being smaller than him he would have no trouble of catching up.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
In such open spaces, he did not take very long to pick up a rhythm with long legs like his, so he found a stride to stick to fast. With the darkness gleaming and him more than comfortable with the depths, he sprang his entire posture upwards when she bowed ahead of him and loosed a soft yip of his own to go with it--which he soon redirected his momentum in response now that he understood the universal language of chase. His jog glided into a full on canter on the next stride he made, not giving her long to gain ground on him.

He thought less about how heavy all the air seemed then as it rushed to his lungs and his gaze was set ahead, tracking the churn of Wraen's hips as she ran. Flattening himself out, he galloped after--and when he could hopefully reach her, he aimed to bump against her side--shoulder first likely, stride pending, before he lunged forward, faster, ahead again. Tag. Every throw of his paws went further than the next, zig-zagging him through the fireflies as he sought the smoothest course over the landscapes.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Time sometimes offers us those single perfect moments, when we are at peace with ourselves and the world and just happy to be alive here and now. Wraen experienced this now, running together with this boy she hardly new, enjoying a game with simple rules and feeling lucky for this shared thread of time belonged to them. Always would, even if they did not meet each other afterwards. 

"I think I will catch my breath," she told him, slowing down to an even trot and panting from exertion. "This was nice - we should do it again sometime," she added.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
It was easy to get caught up in the rush--and he was quick to welcome the distraction until the play began to wind down. Panting, he slowed up, still swaying his tail with a lingering hint of mischief as he arced back towards her. Understandably, she would take a breath. He was used to thinner air than this.. so he was just having a strange time remembering how to adjust to down here still, though he could cope well.. It was. And you would know where to find me, he gestured back towards the Spear with his muzzle, then re-centered. Don't let me overstay my welcome, he chuffed, shaking his coat a bit to help breeze him out some.

Times have been tough at home.. up there, so it is nice to.. I guess, air out a little, he snickered, even if the phrasing only partially fit. He was trying to keep his mood light and it was hard sometimes. He missed how it was, how he could have that old routine waiting for him with the family intact like he had always known them to be--until now. It is weird to explain. Anyway.. how has it been for you.. and yours? If you still want any company.. the sterling Ostrega said, unsure what his bounds were.. or how companionably she might feel towards his Moonspearian likes.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
The fact that Jarilo was still inclined to be friendly, cheered Wraen immensely. She thought to herself that it was a great loss at getting to know great people and putting foundations for friendships, if old family feuds came into play. 

"Changing scenery helps a great deal," Wraen agreed, having used that argument to have a day off elsewhere from the pack duties. Traveling, seeing new places and meeting new people was always refreshing. Gave her an inspiration for the next set of long weeks with her time split between taking care of children and hunting.

"I live on the other side of your mountain. Former Redhawks have split in three sister packs and I found home in one of them. They are sort of distant relatives of mine as well, which always is a plus," she told. "As far as I know Terance - my brother - is a king of the forest two valleys away. It's a distance too far to walk and I have not seen him or spoke to him in a year," how time flew past. Had it really been long?

"What happens at Moonspear, now that your King is gone? Who has taken up the reign?" she asked.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
With a humble little nod, he could agree that a change of view didn't hurt sometimes, but he was always able to take solace in knowing what home was for himself too. He needed a good measure of each to feel secure, and being able to get out and roam some like this only helped to reaffirm that for him--even in these times of many changes, and much grief.

But for here and now, he was all ears. There were bits of this that were more familiar than others. He wasn't remarkably up to date on happenings over there, after all. This was good insight, so he knew to be attentive.. especially knowing Terance had been on better terms with Hydra once upon a time too, even. That's so long.. he lamented softly. Do you miss him still? Or did that feeling eventually numb away? Vela had only been gone a few short months. Some of his other siblings--ones that he had been able to actually know, he did still miss a little sometimes, in theory. 

As for Moonspear, and what happened there.. he wondered with a blink how exactly she knew his father was gone so precisely, and if she knew about his mother too. Hydra has, though that had come just before, he imparted alongside a small nod, like this was the natural answer, regardless if before, or after such an untimely end. Their parents had picked Hydra for exactly that for good reason, and that was a judgement he was not about to question no matter the timing. After all, Charon and Ame both had done their parts to leave the lasting impressions of their influences and teachings, and Moonspear could still stand testament to that so far.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"No, not really. He has his own life - a new mate, children and a pack to lead and take care of - I have mine," Wraen explained. She had been right in the end - it had been a painful, but right choice to go their separate ways. She had no way of knowing, how Terance felt about this today, but for her life had improved by a great measure. One of the reasons that she did not argue or inadvertently hurt her sibling. 

"Charon was a friend of my sister Maia. Even before that he was a good friend with my mother Osprey," she told him, remarking to herself, how easy it was to speak and feel well towards the king now that he was roaming in the realm of stars. He had not been a bad person in the end and she was glad that they had been able to put their differences behind them before he had died.

"It was a matter of time she ascended. I remember her from few years ago and you could feel that she was a queen in the making," she said with a smile. "What about you - besides scouting - what do you want to do in your life?" she asked.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Her answer seemed to be grounded in sensibility. Though not one he would have for himself yet, he could see why. If they each had their own lives to stay busy with, was it really any different from how Korei was so estranged from their family? She simply lived elsewhere, separate, while other parts of the family did the same too because it really was not so unusual; Jarilo was just prone to needing that sense of grounding, a fundamental homebody in him that despite the lures of the sights and sounds of beyond, he needed the same home to return to still. So, accepting that answer, he just nodded and didn't question it any further. Instead the mention of Maia connected some dots for him, despite remembering her being a rough meeting. I met Maia.. it was right after it happened and she did not take it well. I had no idea they were even so close, until then... he said, ears angled backwards at recalling the situation that it had put him in. Jarilo had not been at his best either, true, but feeling grief and blindsided by hers had been.. strange.

As for Hydra, of course. Our parents made sure of that, he said, no doubts in his heart there. They left in their stead her, if nothing else. He couldn't fault them there, and it seemed like Wraen had a favorable enough sort of outlook towards his sister. That kept him going forward readily to answer for himself. Everything I know I want to do sounds vague still. I want to enjoy--to protect our mountain, our family.. and learn more along the way about anything I can, he shrugged. None of it was highly unique to just him as these were reasonable goals for anyone who wanted to be comfortable and curious. He didn't necessarily aspire to lead one day, as his pathway was not so clear-cut and concise as that when he wished to go with the flow--so long as he didn't compromise security in the long run.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen winced slightly, when Jarilo spoke about Maia being "so close" to Charon. The sound of it was wrong, even if she was 100% sure that her sister's affections for the old king had been purely innocent. What had gone on the other party's mind she would never find out now and she was glad that with his death she had been able to put her worries and worst scenarios her imagination could come up with to the side. 

"Learning anything you can is broad enough," Wraen remarked. "But there must be something of particular interest to you," she offered. "For instance... I was never able to master reading stars or become a mercenary, while my siblings had been fairly good at it. Hunting small game and collecting stories - on the other hand - has come easy to me. Turns out that even the latter can be a job."
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Yeah, he wasn't particularly comfortable with Maia's closeness to his father either but it was something he largely tried to ignore, or not think in too much depth about despite all of his gut saying otherwise. He had done enough wondering about it to leave a mark, though; maybe it had been just another reason in the end.. knowing it had been Charon's undoing, ultimately, thanks to the ominous reaper so close to them all.

But, he chuffed; Well there are a lot of stories to collect, he reasoned, sympathizing if it was her job then. Sounded daunting, yet important. What inspired you to start collecting? I learned as a naturalist from my mother--more for the earth itself, than the stars and skies beyond, though I like to hear about them too. I've always felt my focus go more towards.. nature, here, among us underfoot and how the seasons come and go to our mountain... He was not well-spoken enough to put it neatly into words just yet, what with his own experiences still growing. He wanted to know the mountain better than any, and understand its secrets in full. And, like many of my family, to be a skilled mercenary--though I may not be quite so fierce as some of them, I can hold my own. I want to be even more, of course. Like his sisters. But he could be a formidable guardian when it counted, sometimes. He was no pushover in the end and he liked to believe he had a long lifetime ahead of him to hone his skills further.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"My mother was a skilled story-teller and I think that it was an old friend of hers that got her started in the trade. I do not remember fully and I think that I always lived with conviction that my mom was just born this way," Wraen explained. In reality her narrator simply cannot do without a story-telling toon, there always has to be one and, perhaps, it is a very nice thought that maybe, just maybe each of Me's four iconic story-tellers in her 10 year long roleplaying career have met one another at some point and simply passed on the trade.

Enough distractions - back to business!

"What you describe is story-telling and listening of a different kind. You know, what to look for and how to interpret correctly, what nature tells you," she summarized. "Would you like to share, what you have learned - useful tips for a complete amateur," she asked. "And I could tell you a story in return. Fair trade."
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He resonated with her answer then too, and in a great many ways, he existed to continue parts of his mother's legacy in ways only his specific interests could allow. Not all too many of his siblings veered in just that right way, too, and he had trained closely with their mom to ensure that--not that he could have ever imagined it happening differently; her interests had simply carried over smoothly with him. But, ah, he was not the best at weaving his words neatly--there tended to be too many of them, for he had a lot of observations and thoughts to sort on all kinds of matters. Hopefully she wouldn't fault him for the impending mess, but he was game to try in exchange for a story. Well, alright. I can try--but there is so much, and it's still very much works in progress, he reasoned as he gave her a slow nod to let his mind race ahead. Where to begin?

As for tips? Lately I've been trying to learn about signs of the change of seasons.. small ones, but every year there's only so long to see. And he was yet young on what he hoped to be a grand scheme. Since it has been a wet year on the mountain, anyway, and I've seen a lot of different kinds of fungi happening, I'm waiting to see exactly when this type my mother showed me last year that tasted just like.. a kind of meat, like pheasant almost? And it was plenty filling. So, probably useful in tough times, or for a different sort of zest than normal, he grinned a little. It should come late in the summer, early fall. Only grows one time a year. Worth a lookout--it's creamy and orange colored at the base of old trees usually, and comes in a shape more like a very thick flower's bloom than the.. other stalk-like kinds. Of sometimes questionable-looking sorts, but he wasn't comfortable enough of a friend with her to make that joke. Anyway, the naturalist in him felt it a good try for whatever was vaguely useful to anyone else, and after that, he waited to see what she might think of that.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"That's okay," Wraen reassured Jarilo and settled to listen and was not disappointed. She had very little knowledge about fungi or mushrooms, only that they smelled funny and that some of them could be so poisonous that they could kill you within hours after ingestion. This well-intended warning of her parents had been so effective that Wraen had refused to give any mushroom a chance to end up on her lunch-plate.

Jarilo's scrambled description did not convince her to change her set habits and go mushroom hunting right away. However, she thought that it would be interesting to meet him later and find out, whether his research had given any fruit. "What are other signs that you have observed during your study?" she asked, curious to learn more about, what the young Ostrega occupied his free time with.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
As for what else? What should he even unpack? He was often taught things because they had some purpose--everything useful in honing him and his brethren to survive and overcome the mountain in exchange for its bounty. However, he had so much, everywhere, and yet it didn't feel like much still. This is another odd one, I'm not quite sure how this might be truly useful to anyone just yet, he chuffed a small almost-laugh. ..but how the location of the sunrise changes with the seasons' turns--it's kind of subtle, and I probably only notice it as much as I do because I'm usually out at night and already pay attention to which stars are where for headings.. but I think the closer autumn comes, the more to the east with where exactly the sun first starts to since from, the dark Ostrega said thoughtfully. Again, one he was just kind of formulating truly now that he knew to even pay attention to these things so finely. This time last year, there had only been the beginnings honestly.

Now, he hadn't yet reached the points to wonder what this meant still in his rough data-collecting and shaping stage of finer understanding. The questions were for later on.. but he sensed already that there was something here, helping somehow. To make this have any basis, he went on: During spring it's mostly more north.. then northeast come summer but it has been moving south from there and now heading southeast a bit, since fall is coming.. but every year I'll see better, and know where to look most of all, he flashed a hint of a smirk. He had a lot of arbitrary facts like these thanks to parents interested in the stars and their skies. Supposed it only natural some of that come to him, too, and should he last to see the year like he planned, he would surely be observing.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen was practical, when she needed to be, but she had long stopped seeking for reasons and meanings of all things life. Sometimes stuff happened on it's own and there might not be any obvious use to you or anyone else in it. But she let this mental remark slide, as Jarilo explained, how the sunrise changed with the seasons, and looked up as well, only to realize that there was plenty of time until the new day began.

"My mom told me of wolves she encountered, who had come from Far North. They told that there the sun does not set at all for half a year and then for another half it never rises above the horizon," she offered, what she could add to the subject. Pity that there was not a story about it. "It could be linked to, what you have observed," she offered.

"Can you read clouds?" she asked. "I was told that by the shape and size, you can tell, what day is to come. Heavy rainclouds are pretty obvious, but there are those that can predict storms or clear weathers, but I never memorized properly, which was which."
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
All ears, it put a time frame on something he only knew of vaguely. Oh? It's for that long? he asked with a tilt of his head, imagining half a year's darkness and the toll that would put on nature. I had heard of it, too--the endless nights, anyway, but not in much detail. I wonder how far north that has to be..? he questioned, and pondered, in nearly the same train of thought because like Wraen suggested, he could see how there could be a link here--not that he knew how to explain it; maybe he needed to find out more from a far-North wolf who knew it themselves. Something to think on, regardless, and he was not jealous.

When she helped keep the topic on one set skyward, he flipped his tail gently, and drew a thoughtful breath. With parents like him, both interested in the stars and the weathers, it was hard not to have learned some. I like to think that I can, mostly--anyway, he chuffed, for like all things to do with the sky, they were constantly changing and not always with much warning and he learned young that this was all in a general sense. Nature was a great big picture, after all. I think that if you know what to look out for, you can tell a lot, but sometimes they change swiftly and throws the whole prediction off course entirely, the dark Ostrega sighed, but it was just a part of it and he knew to plan accordingly. Always the case with the weather--and life too. Be adaptable.

He took a little breath and decided to go into some detail about what he did know. he was feeling talkative enough, warmed up, but probably going to need to wrap himself up soon and let Wraen be on her way. For now, he was happy to ramble on facts that she might find useful like he had. Little wispy, hazy, light-looking clouds are usually no bother--and even the more rounded out ones can mean they're just passing through, too, but sometimes those are what you have to watch when they start to change and gather up too much,. Jarilo said, aiming for what he had always found most practical on the day to day. There were outliers but these were the strong backbones. When clouds get puffy on top, but flat on bottom it usually mean rain's coming. The taller the clouds? With more clear "edges"? Worse weather's to come, usually. But like he had prefaced, sometimes that was not the whole story.