Sawtooth Spire That mangorita you were drinking
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Limit Two 
Wylla had yet to formally meet @Star, which felt like something of an injustice. The last remaining Courtfall wolf was the only one who'd actively approached her cubs to meet them when the pack was invited to do so. That small gesture had earned Wylla's respect immediately, even if she hadn't spent any time with the elder she-wolf.
It wasn't like her to seek out female company—so often did she find other women intolerable unless they were blood relatives—but after entrusting Stag with the cubs for the afternoon, she delved into a sunny glade in search of Star. Wylla was a lot of negative things, but she wasn't always ungrateful. She wanted to thank Star personally for at least acting enthusiastic about her kids.
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
By now Star had realized what had overcome her- she had hid her sickness in the early stages, though she'd recognized it then too- only now she knew she could not hide it forever, as her sides were slowly beginning to expand with the telltale sign that spoke it to the world. She was not one to avoid the community, but at this time, she had. The old woman had been member to many packs- some lenient, others not so much. Admittedly she had no idea whether such a thing was acceptable in Sagtannet. If her pregnancy was illegal... then Star knew she would only be prolonging the wait to exile. But she could not bear to let the pack down with such irresponsible choices. 

She could not lie in secret forever, though- and so that afternoon she wandered the territory, in search of any prey scents to track. Instead she found the scent of Wylla. Though she respected the young leader, Star was also fairly intimidated by her- and what would the leader she was least acquainted with think if she noticed the curve? It took a lot of courage then to approach her, but she did it anyway, halting a few feet off with a friendly chuff of greeting.
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Luckily, Wylla was unobservant at the best of times, so when she lifted her head at the sound of Star's voice, the first thing she noticed wasn't the older wolf's conspicuous baby bump. It was the old, faded, puckered scar she wore on her shoulder. Wylla had never seen anything like it, so precisely shaped that it could only have been intentionally made. There was a story behind that, she was sure.

Hello, Star, she greeted, a wan smile stretching her lips and lifting the tired skin under her eyes. Although Star was another woman and Wylla historically didn't get along well with women, she was also a pack mate, one who had never done anything to rouse Wylla's oft unfair ire. As a result, what she got to see was the rare friendly side of Wylla, which precious few wolves were acquainted with. I wanted to thank you for coming out the other day, when we introduced the kids to the pack. You were the only one who seemed genuinely interested in meeting them. I really appreciate that.

Not that it was great to feel so bitter about the hesitant approaches of others, but she'd hoped that Quellcrist would've played with the cubs, or that Stag would've come close, or that Wintersbane would've introduced himself to them so they would know who the third leader was. Only Star had actually approached them. How've you been? Wylla wondered, noting that the woman looked healthy. Well fed, certainly. More than well, from the glowing look of her.

Hang on a second...
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Lucky for Star, there was no mention made of her slight curve. Not yet, at least... that was good enough for her, for now. She would take the other topics and run with them until confronted. She would rather admit her mistake to Mahler or Wintersbane than to the mother... but at the moment, the woman came off as surprisingly warm, and so the snowball was willing to let her guard down. 

Of course, She rumbled kindly in response to the thank you. They are lovely children- I am eager to see how they grow, and perhaps help train them, when the time comes. She offered. Mahler had already seemingly approved it, but it felt right to bounce the idea off of Wylla as well. She was the mother, after all. 

How've you been?
Alright. Nothing spectacular... just filling caches and awaiting whatever path life takes me on next. She was past her age of chasing adventure and fantasy... though she still worked, she had reached her retirement, in a sense. Star figured her life had peaked and now was just awaiting the road to her eventual death. It was a gloomy thought, but one she was comfortable with- though the new realization she had not yet fully processed had her rethinking things. 

What about you? Busy with the children, I assume? I am always around if you ever need help...
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
There wasn't much in the world that delighted Wylla more than talking about herself, or in this case, extensions of herself. The dawning realization that Star's healthy appearance was perhaps a little more than just being well-fed was put temporarily on hold when Star spoke of the kids. Lovely was one way of putting it. Star was being polite, but if she had to spend an entire day with the terrible trio, she'd probably change her opinion on that.

I appreciate that, she answered, earnestly. I think it'd be good if the whole pack helps teach them things. They'll learn more than they could from just their parents that way. She thought Stag could teach them a thing or two about being dutiful, and perhaps Star could teach them a thing or two about kindness. Lord knows their mother wasn't well-suited to the task. You're always welcome to come by and see them. They'd probably like someone new to talk to.

And then the topic shifted back to Star and Wylla's scrutiny continued. Awaiting the next big adventure was an admirable way to live, and it ran in contrast to Wylla's own lifestyle, which was geared more around avoiding the next big catastrophe. The problem was that Wylla could always find a catastrophe if she looked hard enough, and now she was looking hard enough. She pursed her lips, nodding quietly along with what Star had to say, then suddenly blurted, are you pregnant?
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
Wylla seemed comfortable with it as well, which gave Star great relief. The old woman felt sure that she would take her up on the offer soon; visit the kids and meet them amongst a less crowded atmosphere, where she could perhaps bond with them better. She was sure they'd be babbling or perhaps even speaking by now too. 

Soon though, the mood amongst them fell. Star felt her heart drop into her stomach as the question came. She swallowed the rock that had suddenly appeared in her throat, feeling very much in the spotlight in a way she detested. This was not good at all. 

I... believe I am, yes, She began slowly, feeling the next words rising in her throat as they came. I- I'm sorry. I knew I was in heat, b-but I've never known a woman my age to get pregnant... but, I was foolish. Sorry... I'm sorry. She breathed quickly and awkwardly, dipping her head down submissively and preparing for the potential backlash.

She had wanted children all her life, but in this moment her first chance at them felt suddenly like a curse. As if it were six years ago at Swiftcurrent Creek, and Scimitar held her on the spot, questioning why she would ever trespass in marked territory. Another time in which she had let down her pack; she could only pray Wylla's temper would not be set ablaze.
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Star was quick to offer apologies for her condition and excuses for how she came to be that way. All the while, static began to buzz inside Wylla's brain. Her yellow gaze was riveted on the white female, and yet her gaze was faraway. She could feel her livid heartbeat in her throat. She could swear she could feel it in her head. Star crouched in submission and Wylla hardly reacted, until suddenly the stiff guard hairs on her nape began to rise and her face contorted.

Are they Mahler's?! she demanded to know. Star's submissive posture indicated that she'd already assumed Wylla would be angry about her pregnancy, and she was right to be worried, but perhaps not for the reasons she thought. She wasn't the vindictive teenager she'd once been, but she suffered a lot of other emotions these days, and jealousy ranked very high among them.
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
The first response that came was not exactly the one she expected, but she could see why Wylla might reach that conclusion. There weren't many males in Sagtannet, and Mahler was the only one who seemed interested in... getting up on every one of the women. Still, the question elicited a sharp gasp that she could not contain. Oh god, of course not! She replied suddenly, before she realized that sounded rather rude and tried to pull the reigns back in a bit.

I mean, Mahler is a great man, and a very strong leader- Goddamnit Star, are you in love with him? Get to the point. B-but I know enough not to tread on your turf, and I have no interest in him anyway, even if he were to ask me. She sighed finally, voice wavering only slightly. The father is a friend of mine called Howl... She started, but wasn't really sure if Wylla was interested to hear any more beyond that, and so Star fell into an awkward and nervous sort of silence once again.
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Everything hung in the balance.

Star might never know the sheer power placed in her paws by Wylla's question. If she'd wanted to play a cruel joke, she could've absolutely destroyed the tiny Eisen by claiming that Mahler had indeed fathered her cubs. She could've, with one word, driven Wylla to gather her babes and obey the whims of her impulse. Mahler was not the sort of man to do something like that—she knew it in her heart of hearts—but she couldn't help the unfair distrust, and Star could've capitalized on it to rock her world, and not in a good way.

But the older woman didn't, instead refuting that Mahler had anything to do with her litter. She needn't explain further than that; even as she did, Wylla visibly deflated with a relieved sigh. Referring to her male companion as her "turf" was perhaps a little crude and a little inaccurate, since she hadn't accepted his proposal, but the message behind it was clear: Star respected their situation enough that even if Mahler had offered to sire her children, she wouldn't have done it.

Good, she breathed, relaxing considerably. The Wylla of yesteryear might've felt incredibly chafed about someone breeding in her pack without her express permission, but the Wylla of today only cared that they weren't Mahler's. Do you know when you're due? They would have to prepare.
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
congrats on 500 posts!

If Star had known of the power she held then and there... she wouldn't have used it anyway. The eisen had never done anything to wrong her. The younger, more reactive and emotional teenaged Star of the past would've found a reason to be s bitch to her leader, but not now. Too many years and too many experiences had hardened her into a respectful woman full of candor. One too many times of flexing a bad attitude taught her that nothing was to be gained of it. 

At the breath of good, the tension left her shoulders snd she raised her head again. Still feeling sheepish and ashamed, but no longer at risk in the way she'd been before. At the question of when they were due, Star considered the directness of Wylla. She appreciated that. No interest in the gossip, no disbelief of her tale- just moving forward to address the practical hurdles. I am no medic, but I would figure about five weeks from now... just based on pregnancies I have witnessed in the past.
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Five weeks. Over halfway to go in Star's pregnancy, then. Plenty of time for them to prepare for additional mouths to feed. Although Star had presumably bred without anyone's permission, Wylla couldn't be angry about it. In Grimnismal, when she was younger and her authority over the pack less assured, she would've thrown out a wolf who did such a thing. But here, she had no reason to believe that Star would ever challenge her authority the way wolves in Grimnismal had—and if it did happen, she thought she could count on her colleague's support.

So at length, Wylla said, I'm moving Thade, Phaedra and Astraeus to a suitable rendezvous site soon. You're welcome to use the den for your pups if you wish. It wasn't like she'd be returning to it until at least next winter, and that was if she even agreed to breed again, which was incredibly uncertain at present. Phaedra has a bit of a garden close to there, so if you don't mind her visiting it, you should be otherwise undisturbed.
539 Posts
Ooc — summer
Away
wrap with ur post maybe?

Wylla's response conmforted her greatly. A new den for the kids, and so a new den for the pregnant Star... and she already knew where it was located. Though Wylla didn't come off as the most friendly, it was nice to receive this helpful side of her rather than some jealous wrath that she might've received if the situation was different. As for Phaedra... Star would be happy to leave the garden undisturbed for the little girl. Thank you so much, Wylla. I appreciate your help, She rumbled warmly, dipping her head.
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Sure! You can reply again if you'd like or just archive as is. Thanks for the thread!

Wylla was primed to expect dissent and suspicion, so rare was it for her to get on well with those of the same sex. There was no catch to her offer—in fact, it was made out of sheer relief, and she knew she'd make a strong effort to ensure Star's pups were well received in the pack, if only to offset her own selfish sorrow. Nevertheless, Star's gratitude settled a kind of uncomfortable silence between them where Wylla struggled to come to terms with doing something she felt was right, and being thanked for it.

That didn't happen very often. She licked her lips hastily and finally answered, of course. Let me know if there's anything else you need. Why was it so hard to just say your welcome and move on? Gratitude shouldn't have been something that a grown woman like Wylla grappled with, and yet, it was the cause of so many of her disagreements with Mahler, and so many tense situations in general. She struggled to accept thanks as much as she struggled to give it. Thankfully, she didn't think Star was the type to press it.

Oh, Stag's an awesome babysitter if you need someone to watch them once they're born, she added, almost offhandedly, but it was true. He's spent a lot of time with Phaedra, so I think he's learned a thing or two. Highly recommended sitter. With nothing more to really say, she shuffled her feet and said, I should get back to the kids. Call on us whenever you like. Then, awkwardly, she added, good talk, before seeing herself back to the den site, feeling self conscious the whole time about what was, she thought, a rare positive interaction.