Ocean's Breath Plateau oil lamps
Moontide
First Warrior
850 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Tracker
All Welcome 
this is a general meeting thread for everyone; feel free to split off into other threads! <3 @Tullik @Marina @Matteo @Raiyuk, no posting order

in good spirits, the seal hunter walked with dutch to the large lodge which overlooked the sea. thanks to the renovations of raiyuk and matteo, the shelter was larger and with more spacious communal areas.
the path to the lodge was lined with stones and would come alive with colorful flowers when the sun returned. chakliux stooped to retrieve ugyuun root and fresh fish from the outside cache, carrying them into the warm interior of the lodge with a loud greeting for sons and wives alike.
darker here, but still punctuated with sunlight from roof-shafts and small windows cut into the sides, chakliux spoke; "this is my hunting-brother, @Dutch," he said as faces turned their way. "he will stay for a night. perhaps in the future he will return and stay with us for good."
setting down the fish and the roots in one of the wide, bare circles of earth, he jerked his chin toward the left. "that is where tullik, marina, and i sleep." to the right, "where matteo and raiyuk sleep."
pelts would be gathered for a warm bed tucked against the far side of the room; for now chakliux began to separate the meat, eyeing each woman wrapped in her fragrances and wondering amusedly if their state would affect dutch.
Morningsong
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
492 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
He was, and immediately! The scent of winter fire was one the panther had only good memories tied to. His mother and his sister had gone through it, of course, and there had been joy and anticipation in those times; the kind that faded until the womb quickened, and a pregnancy was confirmed. And then there was Auk, and a few others in-between. There were the breathe deep dances that his cousins participated in there in the land of long nights.

It was, to him, an aroma of safety and togetherness first, and of sexuality second. The fire burned low in his belly, but there was only warmth and not heat in his eyes as he greeted the twin flame of Chakliux's wives. Raiyuk got just a little more of his attention — the boy had grown again, surely! — and Matteo a fair share as well. His gaze was soon drawn, however, to the one called Marina.

There was something about her. He could see how Chakliux could have found himself enchanted by her, even though she was small and delicate.

"Your welcome humbles me," he said sincerely, his white teeth glimmering in a fleeting smile.

He sprawled near to Chakliux as he worked, working hard to keep his attention on the meal being prepared — and he was mostly successful.
Moontide
Healer
123 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Marina's wariness of men had not abated; only her hesitation toward her husband, and even then she was unsure it would not fade with her season. It was an unwelcome surprise, then, when Chakliux brought a strange man to the lodge. A man with sunset-glow eyes and a luxurious coat in tones that reminded her of the shoreline. Her own eyes lingered on him for a moment.

But when his gaze turned to her, reality swiftly fell back into place. Her appreciative look turned cold. Hello, She murmured for the sake of politeness. Then she turned away, busying herself elsewhere in the lodge. Tullik could entertain their guest. Marina did not appreciate this intrusion, nor the fact that Chakliux had brought it here without a single word of warning.
Moontide
Adolescent
192 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
When his father called, Raiyuk was around back behind the lodge and working to pack the soil there. Melting snow had created a small leak to the meal area inside, and he was wanting to fix that before being noticed and forced back to bed.

The voice made him stop his work and hurry around to see who had come with Chakliux, but Raiyuk saw them disappear in to the lodge before he could see. While introductions were made, Raiyuk snuck back inside; and he saw, Dutch!

The boy was thrilled, and forgot how muddy he was and how obviously he had been working, against the better judgement of his father.

To Matteo he says, This is the man that hunted with my father. He is like a -- lodge-brother, his gaze flickered between the man and Chakliux in case this was the wrong assumption; and he is a great teller of stories.
the seal's shadow
101 Posts
Ooc — orion
Away
The murmur of voices drew the boy groggily from his bed and into the main interior where he laid eyes upon the man named Dutch. So, this was the hunting-brother of Chakliux? He was certainly a sight to be reckoned with.

Matteo itched uncomfortably under his gaze, offering a polite nod and a small "Hi." To Raiyuk he smiled sweetly, wanting badly to hear more about their visitor but instead ducked back into the room he shared with the boy.

To the others it may have looked like shyness, but in truth it was something far more embarrassing that kept the boy confined to his room. Ever since Marina and Tulik had begun to smell... different. He buried his head beneath his badger fur and willed the heat in his belly to disappear.
Moontide
Trader
114 Posts
Ooc — box
Tullik raised her head at the sound of a new voice in their doorway, the side of her face mussed from her nap. The woman stretched like a cat, paws stretched out in front of her, before she dragged her body to its feet.

Her husband, with a visitor. Her cheeks flamed beneath her fur, and she briefly pawed at the side of her face to try and straighten up. She shot Chakliux a look from the corner of her eye, more a pout than anything. Then, warm periwinkle found the hunter he walked beside. Curiosity was first upon her face.

Greetings. She hummed aloud, reaching over to bump Marina with her nose as she went by, a simple check in, before she stepped forward to pull attention to herself instead. One of her ears turned to Raiyuk when he spoke.

Then, she smiled.

It is you that helped my husband hunt, then? My thanks to you for getting him home whole. A niggle in the back of her head asked how she could repay this.

She tipped her head in consideration. Perhaps she knew how, but she did not voice this.
Moontide
First Warrior
850 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Tracker
no posting order!

"matteo, come and eat with us," chakliux encouraged. he was not ignorant to how the perfume in the lodge might affect a growing boy, but matteo must conquer himself. he would enjoy meeting dutch, the seal hunter was sure.
from his peripherals he had watched dutch observe one of the women, but until he turned to serve each person in the lodge portions of fish, he did not know it had been marina.
she was displeased; he knew her silences, her coolness, and for a moment he was glad that dutch would only stay for a night.
despite this, the seal hunter's eyes were appreciative upon her, pleased with her presence and her beauty. quietly he crossed the lodge to bring her fish and the ugyuun root upon a wide leaf. he wanted to be near her, to bask in the warm scent of her, but more than that chakliux wanted marina to know that she was safe here, that he would invite no man beneath this roof who was not.
tullik spoke; chakliux went back to the food-area and made a second serving for her, smiling into the pleasantry of her lovely face, and offering a grin to her comment. "dutch is indeed a teller of many stories, a hunter, a warrior. the monster is wounded and your husband alive because of him!" wisely he did not mention the bear, and nudged tullik playfully.
dutch was served a large portion, and then the boys each, chakliux snorting over raiyuk's muddled coat but his gaze touched with pride. he must rest! but to see that he had been working for the others pleased the seal hunter. he ate last, taking large mouthfuls and speaking of the prey they had seen, the places of the rising sun which he wished to visit, and at length he quieted, eating again and wondering if dutch would tell them a tale.
Morningsong
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
492 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
He spoke of humility, but the panther sprawled in a way that was made to draw attention to his large figure, and to the shiny-pink lacerations adorning his hip. On crossed forelegs he laid upright, sphinx-like, while his good flank held his weight and kept tension out of his aching leg muscles. Through the pale fur of his belly — what little of it could be seen — showed the old scars left by Tendua.

This was largely for the benefit of the young men present, who must surely aspire to such hunts as the one he and Chakliux had undertaken together, but the peacock in him preened also under the eye of two — and then just one — beautiful woman.

"I very nearly took a piece out of him myself," he groused to Tullik, although the crinkle of his eyes spoke of his esteem for the other man. "Thankfully, it was not his flesh that gave first."

But that was all he would speak of their hunt; Marina was still within earshot, and it seemed disrespectful to make a story out of what must surely have become her nightmares.

His eyes trailed after the seal hunter as he served his wives with joyful devotion, a subconscious smile showing a sliver of his teeth. After that, he made an effort to focus on the boys — it would not do to come here and stare at another man's wives!

"I hear you two have your own battle wounds, now!" he said to them, his tail thumping his encouragement. "It was a great hunt, I hear. I was sorry to have missed it. I have not participated in so large a hunt before. The closest I've come are the water hunts in the red desert. Many creatures come together for this — not just wolves alone."

There was a glimmer in his eyes. He waited to see if this piqued anyone's interest.
Moontide
Healer
123 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Last for me here, Marina can be powerplayed for the rest of the thread <3
It was difficult to remain cross with Chakliux for long; impossible, perhaps. Marina's gaze softened when he approached with the fish, brushing her muzzle against his in gratitude. Tullik and Raiyuk, too, were in high spirits, and though she could not quite muster the same, Marina was heartened by it.

She settled to eat and to listen to the men talk, though she never let her eyes linger too long on Dutch. He was not unpleasant to look at; quite the opposite, in fact, and it stirred a fierce agitation in her chest. She didn't want to deal with this. Not right now. Even so, he would remain in her thoughts.
the seal's shadow
101 Posts
Ooc — orion
Away
Chakliux's command was accompanied by a muffled whine until, finally, the boy showed his face at the dinner table. Taking the meal gratefully, he settled as far away from his wives as he could and began to peel thin strips of fish to eat, gaze fixated on Dutch. His eyes widened at the sight of great gashes on the man's belly, now long healed but impressive nonetheless. As he and Tullik exchanged words, Matteo's thoughts drifted to his own injury. The pain had been unbearable - and that was only a small puncture! He could only imagine the horrors Dutch had been subjected to.

Well, he preferred not to imagine it really, stomach already beginning to flutter.

As if on cue, their visitor turned to quiz the boys about the bison hunt next. Matteo quickly swallowed his current mouthful and nodded furiously in agreement. He would let Raiyuk tell the thrilling tale if he wished, the man's following words providing a curious head tilt. "What other creatures did you hunt with?" Foxes? Bears? Surely that would not have ended well for either party; he furrowed his brows, eager to hear Dutch elaborate.
Moontide
Adolescent
192 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
This wasn't the first time the lodge had dined together, but one of the rarer moments that had everyone plus a visitor, and Raiyuk was thrilled about it. He was happy enough when Matteo came out to join them. Conversation flowed and Raiyuk listened to the men talk; then the conversation shifted to his own hunt, and he did was quick to speak.

We were split in to many hunting parties. Mine was with a man from Moonsong at the helm. His tactic was to use many of the bodies to keep the herd back while a few others - myself included in this - went for the target.

It had been quite the experience for him. Raiyuk went on to explain there had been one woman who turned tail at the sight of the bison and then a girl interloper who almost cost them the hunt entirely.

He stretched out like Dutch as he told his tale, imitating him and showing off his bruised hip - which wasn't nearly as impressive as any real wound.

Those bison are giant! But I am ready now for anything. His eyes lit upon his father's face, then he continued to eat.
Moontide
Trader
114 Posts
Ooc — box
Tullik’s ears turned this way and that, picking up every detail of the story the man told. Even then, her soft gaze picked up small details of the man himself. The great slashes, the eyes, he was a well built creature. She could see that it would be little trouble, should she go through with it.

These bison sound far bigger than anything I have ever laid eyes on. She contributed after a moment to chew and swallow, waving one paw in the air.

I am from the high mountains. I think the largest things I have seen are moose, and they are not something to hunt!
Moontide
First Warrior
850 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Tracker
no posting order! <3

tullik's pretty face was vibrant with attentiveness as she ate and laughed and joined in their talk. chakliux did not watch outright how she gazed almost thoughtfully upon dutch, but he could see the appreciation and hid a laugh in his cheek —! he grinned at raiyuk and nodded toward matteo, proud that the young man had collected himself and joined them. 
dutch spoke of the bison hunt; chakliux listened raptly to both his words and those of raiyuk, who explained how the hunters had been divided. and how it had almost been spoiled! "it is a good thing the seal hunters were there," he exulted. "without your teeth, much meat would have been lost," he grunted in pleasure to the boys, believing it. knowing it. 
what was a desert? his eyes were amused on dutch, interested; he laughed at tullik's insistence and looked at her with admiration. "no moose can stand against a mountain-walker, stone-wife," he teased her; then desire lit his gaze for a moment, and for a moment he was silent, taking in the good scents of the lodge and how his body was warming to tullik, to marina; he found her eyes and looked with open admiration at her face and the shape of her shoulders.
"what is a desert?" he decided to ask. "and what were these other hunters?" he asked of the panther, glancing in time to see marina pulling her gaze from the moonsong man.
ah — and the amusement welling again as he felt the unsaid interest of his wives deepen. he wondered if dutch knew yet that he was intriguing in more than one way.
Morningsong
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
492 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
This got away from me.
With hidden amusement, the panther noted the way that Raiyuk arranged himself. This mimicry was to be expected, as it was how young men learned — but he looked to Chakliux to see what he thought of it, too. They came from different cultures, and Dutch was not sure how much peacocking seal hunters were afforded at this age.

But it seemed that the other man's pride in his son warranted such confidence, mimicry or not. The panther hid another smile at the seal hunters' expense, suffused with affection for all who resided in this place.

He wished he could stay.

"All kinds," he said to Matteo, and to Chakliux and the rest, he said, "A desert is a place of sand and heat. There is no water, there. There are no mountains. There are no trees. It is only red earth and scrubland, and white Navajo sandstone, and deep ravines in cracked canyons, in some places.

"I came to this place with the bounty hunter, Slow West,"
he explained, glancing to the seal hunter man, who would know this name. "The son of the man Kentucky Bourbon, and of a coyote woman called Güera, and of the companion of Bourbon, who I only knew as the flower eater. I was not allowed to speak to this man. I was discouraged from even looking at him."

The panther was still not sure why this was, and he hoped it would be as hair-raising for the seal hunters as it had been to him, skating back from Bourbon's snapping teeth.

"There were not many wolves in this land," he told them. "Only Bourbon and myself. The rest that I met were coyotes or halflings. For this reason, they called me long shadow when we were out upon the sands; I was the tallest. I was the heaviest, too, and the one with the thickest pelt. The others that we met had fur as short as the fur of your face all over. Slow West shed his great silver coat and turned the color of white sands. I shed some, but the sun beat down on me, and the sands burned my paws 'til they bled, and my nose and my ears grew cracked and red. It took me some weeks to get used to the heat."

He paused for effect, here, a smile growing on his face.

"And then it got hotter," he went on, his voice low. "The well where West's family made camp dried up. We moved on to the next one. This well, too, dried up, and I asked where we would drink, and West said that he did not know. That we would have to go lookin'." For this, he used to the strange, twangy accent of the desert creature. "So we went. And with us came the strange creature that Slow West's family kept. It is like a raccoon, but like a squirrel, too. It rode upon Bourbon's back, and stood sometimes with its front paws perched between the man's ears, its nose in the air, sniff-sniff-sniffing." He demonstrated, lifting his nose into an imaginary breeze. "This creature could smell the water. It directed us to the next wellspring, where we met with another family in possession of strange companions. These were a wild ass, and a slithering snake.

"We traveled by night, for the desert sun meant death to those that labored beneath it — even creatures born into the desert were not safe. And as we cowered in the shade, they sang songs together:

"All day I've faced a barren waste
Without the taste of water, cool water
Old Dan and I with throats burned dry
And souls that cry for water
Cool, clear water."

Dutch laughed.

"They sang, but I could not! My throat was parched. It was painful even to swallow. And when the sun sank down, we went out again. They showed me how to eat the fruit of this land: the prickle-pears and the nopales, which are both spined like a porcupine. Most of the desert plants are spined. This meal coated my throat and kept me going through the nights. We came to another well, where a desert cat as large as myself was already drinking. I thought that she would fight us, but instead she joined us in the hunt for water. None of us hungered, by then. We only wanted a drink."

He described a little more: packs that came with coyote shamans. Those with the longest legs and the largest ears were most prized. He described how the packs had all been families: mothers and fathers and offspring, with the only non-relations being their water-sniffing creatures.

"One day Slow West went out in the sunlight. He said that he saw something, but none of the rest of us could see. We waited hours for his return, but the sun began to sink. We set off, walking in his footsteps for hours still. It was at dawn, then, that we met him again — and he had found a water hunter of his own. A great black bird, with a bald red head. A buzzard, they called it. Like a vulture, but larger still. A bird too large to ride on anyone's shoulders. It took to the air, and Slow West said that we must follow, even into the sunrise.

"My paws bled,"
he told them. "My nose bled. I saw strange things shimmering on the sands. They call these mirages. Dark spirits trying to lure you to your death. Their songs speak of it:

"Keep a-movin', Dan, don't you listen to him, Dan
He's a devil, not a man
And he spreads the burnin' sand with water
Dan, can you see that big, green tree?
Where the water's runnin' free
And it's waitin' there for you and me?
Water, cool, clear water."

Dutch bowed his head.

"I did not believe it, at first, when we came to Agua Roja. It is a great river in the season of rains, but at that time, it was a thin stream of red waters. It could flow through this lodge and leave room to sleep still on either side. And it was shallow! So shallow, one could not drink without drinking also the red clay beneath it. I remember the taste of it — like the sweetest delicacy that can be imagined. Of course it was! I had not had anything to drink in many days.

"It was in this place that Slow West met his bride: a coyote woman called Shady Bird. This courtship is a violent one. A man will kill those that dare come near his chosen mate. He said to me that I had best be gettin' on, — and I knew his teeth! So I stayed far from him, and I got to know the desert cat, who was called Balarina. Dancer. When the rains came back, and the river Agua Roja swelled, she led me back to the scrublands, to Bourbon's well. We parted ways there, and I returned to the mountains. And when I got there, I shivered all winter as my coat grew long once more."